• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

So based on the recent reviews, the Samsung Note 10.1 is almost a turd of a device. Previous turds that I was excited about were Asus Transformer Prime, Acer 700 and Transformer Infinity....all were mega turds.

Now to upcoming tablets, Sony Xperia tab is supposed to come next month and Archos Gen 10, announcement later this month. If these two turn out to be turds...well then Androids tablets have been given enough chances.

how did they screw it up? the need a niche for expensive tablets and that could have been it

tino

Banned
So based on the recent reviews, the Samsung Note 10.1 is almost a turd of a device. Previous turds that I was excited about were Asus Transformer Prime, Acer 700 and Transformer Infinity....all were mega turds.

Now to upcoming tablets, Sony Xperia tab is supposed to come next month and Archos Gen 10, announcement later this month. If these two turn out to be turds...well then Androids tablets have been given enough chances.

Besides resolution and come out later than Transformer Prime, whats wrong with it?

don't get excited about any android tablets. ever. they will all always be shit. get a blackberry playbook. if you're relying on a Sony or Archos tablet to be good, you might as well cut your wrists now.

Woah, potentially big news for Xperia S owners:

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/?fromgroups#!msg/android-building/zji_sQGN9Oo/MoaS0xidmRMJ

The Xperia S is the first non-Nexus device to be officially supported by AOSP. People with unlocked bootloaders will eventually get a Google made port of AOSP. Real vanilla Android on the Xperia S, this also bodes well for the next few versions of Android as well if Google maintain support for this along with Nexus devices.

Xperia S is basically now a Nexus device if you buy it unlocked from Sony.

popeutlal

how did they screw it up? the need a niche for expensive tablets and that could have been it
It has mediocre built quality, multitasking is laggy, interface also lags with too much content on the screen and the battery life isn't great even with a lower resolution screen. And it's priced too high, $550 for 32gb.

So what is the reason that no OEM can make an Android tablet worth buying.

I've looked at Samsung, Sony, Asus, Acer, Archos, Lenovo, others....even god damn Dell. Not a single company has managed to put out a tablet that's worth spending money on.

No wonder MS themselves are making their own hardware, these companies are useless.

5pbED.jpg

http://explore.t-mobile.com/verizon-att-sprint/

It has mediocre built quality, multitasking is laggy, interface also lags with too much content on the screen and the battery life isn't great even with a lower resolution screen. And it's priced too high, $550 for 32gb.

I've looked at Samsung, Sony, Asus, Acer, Archos, Lenovo, others....even god damn Dell. Not a single company has managed to put out a tablet that's worth spending money on.

No wonder MS themselves are making their own hardware, these companies are useless.

the problem with the bolded is you're saying that the price for a tablet with a wacom digitizer is "too high" at $500-550

Circle T

Deadly Cyclone, your pleas for help are finally being answered....

Verizon Wireless said:
Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Network Expands In Iowa City, Iowa On Aug. 16

IOWA CITY, IA — Verizon Wireless today announced that its customers will have access to its 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) network in more places, when the company expands its 4G LTE network on Aug. 16. in 38 markets, including the Iowa City area, and launches coverage in 34 new markets.

Verizon Wireless first launched its 4G LTE network in Iowa City on Sept. 15, 2011. The expanded 4G LTE coverage area will enhance coverage on Interstate 380 between Iowa City and Cedar Rapids and provide new coverage to Lake MacBride State Park.

In addition to expanding its 4G LTE network in Iowa City, Verizon Wireless is also expanding its network in Iowa from Des Moines to Ames and in the Sioux City area on Aug. 16. The Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network is currently available in Iowa in the greater Des Moines area, Cedar Rapids, Council Bluffs, Iowa City, Sioux City, the Quad Cities area and many more rural communities.

“The expansion of our high-speed network will enable customers to use their 4G LTE devices in more parts of Iowa to stay in touch with family, friends and colleagues, all with speeds up to 10 times faster than before,” said Seamus Hyland, president-Great Plains Region, Verizon Wireless. “We will continue expanding and enhancing our 4G LTE network in this state and across the country to provide our customers with the best wireless experience possible.”

The Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network is America’s largest 4G network with coverage available to nearly 75 percent of the U.S. population. With the new and expanded markets, the company’s 4G LTE network will be available to 371 markets across the United States. By year’s end, the company plans for its 4G LTE network to cover more than 400 U.S. markets.

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/08/pr2012-08-15d.html

kinggroin

Banned

OK, so let's say BOOM, manufacturer X creates the greatest tablet from the perspective of hardware. Really high DPI IPS display, super thin and light, solid build, high end specs and fantastic battery life.

None of that changes the software. THAT'S the real problem with android tablets, and at least for the forseable future, will continue to be.

rozay

Banned
I still don't like android on tablets but really, you're not going to find a cheaper tablet with a wacom digitizer and equivalent specs. I'd recommend it over whatever blunders asus is shipping out.

popeutlal

OK, so let's say BOOM, manufacturer X creates the greatest tablet from the perspective of hardware. Really high DPI IPS display, super thin and light, solid build, high end specs and fantastic battery life.

None of that changes the software. THAT'S the real problem with android tablets, and at least for the forseable future, will continue to be.
I owed the Transformer Prime, ICS was great on it, you can even put Jelly Bean on it, the interface or the apps were not the issue at all. Asus released a broken device, the wifi was weak, even weaker with bluetooth enabled, gps was broken, web browsing was awful due to Asus putting in the cheapest flash memory they could find, making the entire tablet slow whenever the software wrote anything to the disk...so when the web browser did caching it would freeze as it couldn't write fast enough to the disk.

Then they released the Transformer Infinity, they included a high resolution screen, a faster processor....but still used slow memory didn't increase the battery capacity, so now the battery life sucks AND its still slow when writing to disk.

Fuck Asus, luckily I was able to return it to Best Buy after 8 months for store credit.

tino

Banned
Tablet is not a working form factor, its a media consumpsion form factor. If you want a entertainment tablet, get an iPad. If you want to get work done (actual work), the best solution is an atom or i5 w8 tablet with a transformer keyboard.

Blackhead

Redarse
Google Maps for Android gets useful new public transit options and other minor updates

The Verge said:
Google Maps for Android is getting a handful of minor (but useful, as always) improvements today, the primary of which concerns public transit. The updated app (version 6.10) has an updated transit layer that allows you to specify which modes of transportation you'd like to show up on the map. This means that you'll now be able to just have subway lines appear without a tangle of bus routes cluttering the display. The options mimic the public transit choices that were added to directions earlier this year — you get to choose from train, bus, tram, or subway — and are available in the close to 500 cities (and over 1 million stations) that now have transit schedules in Maps. Additionally, station pages have been given a visual overhaul that more clearly shows which transit lines stop there, how far other stations are, and upcoming departure times.

Outside of public transport, one nifty new feature is that searches for cities or postal codes will now show boundaries on the map to show exactly where one city or ZIP code ends and where another begins. Lastly, the My Places page has been given a bit more information, and the Location History page now contains a few more interesting tidbits of where you frequent should you choose to enable the tracking feature.

The changes are coming via an update to Google Maps for Android today, and while Android users will be glad to get these minor changes, iPhone and iPad owners will, of course, miss out — especially when Apple's own mapping solution replaces Google's in iOS 6.

I <3 Google Maps

kinggroin

Banned
I owed the Transformer Prime, ICS was great on it, you can even put Jelly Bean on it, the interface or the apps were not the issue at all. Asus released a broken device, the wifi was weak, even weaker with bluetooth enabled, gps was broken, web browsing was awful due to Asus putting in the cheapest flash memory they could find, making the entire tablet slow whenever the software wrote anything to the disk...so when the web browser did caching it would freeze as it couldn't write fast enough to the disk.

Then they released the Transformer Infinity, they included a high resolution screen, a faster processor....but still used slow memory didn't increase the battery capacity, so now the battery life sucks AND its still slow when writing to disk.

Fuck Asus, luckily I was able to return it to Best Buy after 8 months for store credit.

If that's the case, why not give the N7 a shot. I'm hearing fantastic things as far as performance is concerned. You have no issues with the tablet app ecosystem on android, so outside of maybe a creaky screen frame and smaller form factor, its ace.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If that's the case, why not give the N7 a shot. I'm hearing fantastic things as far as performance is concerned. You have no issues with the tablet app ecosystem on android, so outside of maybe a creaky screen frame and smaller form factor, its ace.

The Nexus thread is full of people saying they have gotten bogus machines they've had to exchange. I'd hardly call the N7 a savior.

popeutlal

7 inch is too small, 10+ inch is what I'm looking for.

If the MS Surface isn't sold at Best Buy...I'll probably end up getting an iPad.

Vanillalite

Anyone have the Atrix HD? I'm torn between that and the One X. I'm only considering the Atrix HD because the One X only has a non expandable 16g hd.

I thought you were switching to T-Mobile?

Anyways the One X is probably the better phone, but if you need extra space beyond that 16 gigs then just get the Atrix as it's virtually the same phone. Bare in mind though the Atrix while having an SD card slot only comes with 8 gigs stock. So you'll probably want to have a card ready as soon as you get the phone.

Most review sites liked the phone, but put it a notch bellow the GS3 and the One X. Here's The Verge Review.

tino

Banned
So Samsung has sold 10 million Galaxy Note. I wonder how does it compare to Galaxy Nexus? HTC probably hasn't sold 10 million One X yet.

Al-ibn Kermit

They did improve the RAM bandwidth of the Infinity though.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6036/asus-transformer-pad-infinity-tf700t-review/3

Remember NVIDIA's Tegra 3 only has a single channel memory interface, so frequency is the only option for increasing memory bandwidth. The increase in bandwidth does make scrolling and most UI interactions fairly smooth, although you will see dropped frames from time to time. I must say I'm fairly impressed by how well ASUS/NVIDIA were able to pull off smoothness without a significant hardware update. It's worth pointing out that the experience is far from perfect though. Even ICS is rough around the edges when it comes to delivering consistent UI performance on a tablet. Google is expected to address this with Jelly Bean but it's something to keep in mind for those buying in the near future. Granted by the time the Infinity is actually available, Jelly Bean may have already launched. As ASUS is widely expected to be a launch partner on Jelly Bean, I wonder if that means TF Pad Infinity owners will get a swift update.

The battery life took a dip from 9.5 hours to 8 hours. Which is worse than an iPad but it's not that bad and you can use the keyboard dock as a battery extender. I have no idea how it compares against the iPad in web browsing though.

kinggroin

Banned
The Nexus thread is full of people saying they have gotten bogus machines they've had to exchange. I'd hardly call the N7 a savior.

Honestly I've not kept up, but I thought the most prevalent issue was the squeaky frame. Haven't heard anything about poor performance on the level of what Magic Ovaries was going on about. Not an android savior obviously, but the best I could think of considering what he wrote initially.

In any case, I'd go iPad from the start. I just thought he wanted to stay android.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
There any reason why the past few days my maps app has been the top battery user at 43%? My phone has been dying quicker and I keep finding maps at the top until I force close it...

Anyone here? Every day this week maps has been over 40%, but it's not even listed in running services. No idea what's up, and why it just started this week...

gcubed

yeah its odd that it just started, did you turn on location sharing? Could be something hung there... do you cache tiles? Just throwing out ideas, i have no idea why it would just happen

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
yeah its odd that it just started, did you turn on location sharing? Could be something hung there... do you cache tiles? Just throwing out ideas, i have no idea why it would just happen

I really haven't done anything with it that would have caused it that I remember. At this point I don't do much with the phone since I can no longer root it or anything (accidentally upgraded all the way).

I use GPS occasionally, but it's off now. Odd.

Is anyone using FXP134 for any 2011 Xperia device. I want to get a taste of Jelly Bean, but I don't want to buy a Samsung or a shitty HTC. I was thinking of getting an Arc S to put CM10 on it.

Vanillalite

I'm honestly surprised it took them this long. It's just a no brainer these days IMO. Hell even Steam got on the bandwagon selling them at their competitor store in Gamestop. LOL

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't ask for a Play Card for my Xmas Stocking or as a Birthday gift or something.

AndyD

aka andydumi

New icon too. I like it a lot.

http://phandroid.com/2012/08/15/goo...play-store-gift-cards-and-wishlists-download/

Gift cards and a wishlist on the horizon for the Google Play Store? Sounds good to me!

A wishlist would be nice. Or a watch list. Also shareable lists, so I can make a list and send it to my friends/family. Also I wish I could gift apps. So a recipient can just receive a paid app and not have to search/install/check out or need a CC on file.

Anyone here? Every day this week maps has been over 40%, but it's not even listed in running services. No idea what's up, and why it just started this week...

I turned off location reporting and turned it back on and its now acceptable again. I had the same issue after a long trip where it switched 3g 4g a lot so I wonder if it bugged out somewhere.

gutshot

So ESPN released a new soccer/football app today called ESPNFC. Apparently it is not available in the US Play Store, and I have come up empty in my attempts to google for an apk. Any UK GAFfers able to send me the apk? Thanks!

gcubed

I want local backups for my apps and data asap before I acknowledge that the Google Play is mature.

they have the ability to do that if the developers want to. Very few want to. Apparently Google is in the "very few want to" category as well. I want my homescreen layout and text messages saved.

edit... Oh... LOCAL backups. Well, the functionality WAS there in ICS preview but was removed from the user portion of the OS. You can do it in 3 steps using ADB (it just activates the backup system thats already in the phone that they disabled). I've backed up my phone several times this way, it takes like 3 commands

gutshot

Is the Galaxy S3 the best android phone for the foreseeable future? I'm on tmobile and my contract ends at the end of this month.

If you can wait a couple months, the new Nexus should be out and will likely be better if for no other reason than that vanilla Android goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom