• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Is the Galaxy S3 the best android phone for the foreseeable future? I'm on tmobile and my contract ends at the end of this month.

GS3 for now on T-Mobile. This fall we should be getting the Sammy Note 2, a new Nexus device, and a rumored quad core LTE remix of the HTC One series. Whether these come to T-Mobile to buy on contract is anyone's guess. There is also a rumor that Sammy is going to give out it's Jelly Bean plans for the GS3 when they unveil the Note 2 in a week or two.

tino

Banned
GS3 for now on T-Mobile. This fall we should be getting the Sammy Note 2, a new Nexus device, and a rumored quad core LTE remix of the HTC One series. Whether these come to T-Mobile to buy on contract is anyone's guess. There is also a rumor that Sammy is going to give out it's Jelly Bean plans for the GS3 when they unveil the Note 2 in a week or two.

The Note 2 most likely will have the same hardware as S3, just like the Galaxy Note 10.1.

Google probably will want to sell the next Nexus phone at $350 as soon as possible, so I don't think the CPU/screen will be top of line. I wonder what will google push this time. I hope something ambitious like Intel atom platform or something.

Also hopefully HTC grow a pair and put out the rumored 5" 1080p screen phone. I predict it will be called "One Z" haha.

Toki767

Is the Galaxy S3 the best android phone for the foreseeable future? I'm on tmobile and my contract ends at the end of this month.

Honestly I think the Galaxy S3 has a good shot at still being a great phone 2 years from now. We're getting pretty much diminishing returns on real life performance. The only area where the phone will probably be outdated in 2 years are games.

Sagitario

Great for some! If only they'd fix the god damn My apps screen. Why not give me more options? I want:

• Installed Now
  • Purchased
  • Previously Installed To This Device
  • Previously Installed On This Account

How hard is that? :(

Also, delete free apps from the history list.

Vanillalite

The Note 2 most likely will have the same hardware as S3, just like the Galaxy Note 10.1.

Google probably will want to sell the next Nexus phone at $350 as soon as possible, so I don't think the CPU/screen will be top of line. I wonder what will google push this time. I hope something ambitious like Intel atom platform or something.

Also hopefully HTC grow a pair and put out the rumored 5" 1080p screen phone. I predict it will be called "One Z" haha.

There are rumors the Note 2 might be quad core LTE like the new One series device, but we'll have to wait and see. The chip is being made, but nobody really seems to know how soon it'll be ready to go into mass production.

gcubed

There are rumors the Note 2 might be quad core LTE like the new One series device, but we'll have to wait and see. The chip is being made, but nobody really seems to know how soon it'll be ready to go into mass production.

i think both are overkill, but especially the exynos. We should be focusing on dual core A15's, not pumping up cores on older chips.

Massa

Is anyone using FXP134 for any 2011 Xperia device. I want to get a taste of Jelly Bean, but I don't want to buy a Samsung or a shitty HTC. I was thinking of getting an Arc S to put CM10 on it.

I have the Xperia Neo.

FXP134 is not out, should be out in the next day or so.

The Neo is one of the worst Xperia's when it comes to CM10 right now; camera doesn't work, video acceleration doesn't work and in FXP133 they introduced a bug where the system is not as loud as it should be, so it's hard to make out calls for example.

Of course CM10 on this device is alpha software so it's to be expected, but from what I hear things might work better on other Xperia models. Regardless of these bugs the system is really fast, but since there are no compelling features in JB for me I'm sticking with the stability of CM9 over the responsiveness of CM10 for the time being. I'm happy to wait for CM10 to be stable.

For more details about the phone you're interested in visit the xda-developers forums. I'd just recommend not bothering with roms not by "FXP". They have a thread for each of their roms (CM7, CM9 and CM10) on the sub-forum for each model, don't even bother with the rest.

SE won me over with how easy they made it to unlock their phones, I'd highly recommend the Xperias if you're interested in stock Android and don't want a Nexus device. In my case I wanted a smaller phone than the Nexus, and the Xperia Neo is discontinued so it was cheaper than an iPhone 3GS. An absolute steal for the hardware.

ElFly

So any suggestion to fix music stuttering?

It happens a lot on my galaxy tab 2, with ICS. Which is ridiculous since in my old galaxy tab, this never ocurred.

The internet seems to suggest it is a widespread problem with ICS? Maybe I could try another music player?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
So my piece of shit Moto Droid keeps telling me that there is no more storage space left for texts, even though there is around 23mb free on the phone (not the SD card) and I've deleted over 300 texts so far. I'm getting messages saying incoming texts are being rejected. What the fuck gives?

So my piece of shit Moto Droid keeps telling me that there is no more storage space left for texts, even though there is around 23mb free on the phone (not the SD card) and I've deleted over 300 texts so far. I'm getting messages saying incoming texts are being rejected. What the fuck gives?

deleting texts won't matter, as the amount of space they use is pretty tiny. you have to remove/move apps or updates on internal storage until there's enough space free. iirc, it's like 10-15% of the total internal storage that needs to be free or you won't be able to get sms.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife

go into your apps and delete cache?

With both of my htc phones, it was the default messenger app that took up a lot of space. Desperate for extra space and after backing up my sms to the cloud, I deleted the messenger app data. I gained space and my text messages/mms were never deleted as a result. Weird.

Mr Swine

Banned

My Optimus One is more or less the same, if I have less than 20MB of storage on it it will reject texts and that I can't text to anyone

Yuripaw

Banned
Do you guys have any recommendations for a good Android tablet that runs apps, and some games well, but isn't too expensive? I'd like to be able to at least run some games like Final Fantasy 3, and Plants vs Zombies. I'd want to also use it for web browsing, and video apps.

I was thinking about going with a Google Nexus 7 8GB model, but I wanna double check with you guys and see if there's any other tablets out there I should consider that might also be in my price range.

jokkir

Google Wallet REALLY needs to hit Canada. I had flashed it in before and used it but after the free $10, I couldn't use it any more.

Grr.

ep85

Do you guys have any recommendations for a good Android tablet that runs apps, and some games well, but isn't too expensive? I'd like to be able to at least run some games like Final Fantasy 3, and Plants vs Zombies. I'd want to also use it for web browsing, and video apps.

I was thinking about going with a Google Nexus 7 8GB model, but I wanna double check with you guys and see if there's any other tablets out there I should consider that might also be in my price range.

The acer a110? It hasn't come out yet though, it also has a worse resolution screen.

You can't really beat the nexus 7 as a value proposition. You could wait and see what Amazon does with the next kindle fire, or even see if apple releases a iPad nano.

in that price range, it's basically the Nexus 7 or a used year old Tegra 2 device.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
SGN2.jpg

We’ve seen quite a number of rumors regarding the upcoming Samsung Galaxy Note II, slated for an IFA debut at the end of this month, and there were even some renders which claimed to be the real deal, with more or less success.

This time around we’re looking at Mr. Blurrycam in action, shooting a device which appears to resemble quite a lot with the allegedly leaked front panel of the Galaxy Note sequel. Accompanying the picture are already rumored specs like a 5.5-inch display, quad-core processor (probably Exynos 4 Quad), 2GB of RAM and next-generation S-Pen technology.

The phone looks to be a white-and-grey/silver combination used recently by Samsung on its Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note 10.1 devices. The home button is still there and it is pretty safe to assume that there will be two capacitive buttons on the sides, like we’re used to by now.

With less than two weeks to go until IFA, we’re expecting more details to hit the interwebs and we’ll let you know as soon as we hear them.

http://pocketnow.com/2012/08/17/samsung-galaxy-note-ii-leaked/

Sony rolling out ICS for Xperia P from today. My sister just messaged me to say she got the notification.

I have also heard from SMC that they will begin sending out their Jelly Bean ROM for Xperia S to carriers within the next couple of weeks and an unbranded version will be out in around 4 weeks. The U8500 based ROM will be out by the end of September with the Xperia P getting it first, and then the Sola, U and Go.

2011 devices are still on hiatus, Sony haven't decided if they are going to update them to JB, but there is definitely momentum building for this position. Developers were surprised at the ease of which they could port JB to their 2012 devices and because of that they are well ahead of schedule, leaving extra development time for a possible port to MSM8260 devices from 2011 (all of them).

The source I was talking to today said that by December he hopes all of Sony's 2011, 2012 and 2013 phones and tablets will have Jelly Bean on them, except the Play :'(.

He also said that Sony are considering giving official support to the AOSP drive for Xperia S, and if it goes well they might release an official AOSP ROM via their update client for people who want it.

Donos

My Optimus One is more or less the same, if I have less than 20MB of storage on it it will reject texts and that I can't text to anyone
Shiny new smarthones which can do almost anything but then you have to delete texts like in the old nokia days when the simcard was full.
Sniped me a used One X today on ebay (top condition) for 390€ to replace my desire hd tank. My gf already has it so i could try it long enough.
Can't wait for dat slcd2.

rozay

Banned
I feel like stereo speakers with that little separation are pointless, so that's the only thing in those renders that seems off. That is basically how I'd expect it to look though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wonder if they did anything unique with the software.

Futureman

anything you can do for a scratch on a screen? Like something you can buff into the scratch to make it less noticeable?

LTE Nexus here.

tino

Banned
Lenovo announced a new 5" 720p screen phone that's basically a Galaxy S3 inside. Very interesting. I wonder if it has a pentile screen?

Vanillalite

anything you can do for a scratch on a screen? Like something you can buff into the scratch to make it less noticeable?

LTE Nexus here.

Toothpaste use to work on cds/dvds that were scratched and couldn't be played. That's not really your issue here though.

Some screen protectors apparently can cover up small scratches. I've been contemplating getting an XO Skin.

I had an xo skin on my gnex but it felt like rubber so I took it off. I'd rather it get some small scratches then have to use that skin every day. I actually have an extra around somewhere. Anyone interested PM me and I might send it to you if I have time.

malyce

So I got sick of HTC's own ICS and fucking Sense, so I plunked down and installed CM10 for the Sensation. The only thing that doesn't work is the front facing camera, which I'm not particularly bothered by.

This thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1782009

Is fucking awesome. I donated to the developer, because without his work I would be using shitty Sense.
I don't usually use HTC phones, but when I do I prefer them without sense. Stay senseless my friends.

aznpxdd

So no one has followed the latest announcement of the Xiaomi Phone 2?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/16/xiaomi-phone-2-quad-core/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6163/xiaomi-announces-miui-phone-mitwo-with-apq8064-inside

First Android phone to use Snapdragon S4 Pro APQ8064 quad-core chip
4.3" 1280x720 (highest PPI screen on a phone currently)
2GB Ram
16GB Internal
2000mAH battery standard, 3000mAH optional with slight thickness bump
2MP front facing camera capable of 1080p recording
SD Card Slot
Dual Antenna
4.1 Jellybean in MIUI

All for $315 USD! This phone sounds sweet as shit on paper. I am definitely going to pick one up when its released in October (I'm working in China right now).

tino

Banned
So no one has followed the latest announcement of the Xiaomi Phone 2?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/16/xiaomi-phone-2-quad-core/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6163/xiaomi-announces-miui-phone-mitwo-with-apq8064-inside

First Android phone to use Snapdragon S4 Pro APQ8064 quad-core chip
4.3" 1280x720 (highest PPI screen on a phone currently)
2GB Ram
16GB Internal
2000mAH battery standard, 3000mAH optional with slight thickness bump
2MP front facing camera capable of 1080p recording
SD Card Slot
Dual Antenna
4.1 Jellybean in MIUI

All for $315 USD! This phone sounds sweet as shit on paper. I am definitely going to pick one up when its released in October (I'm working in China right now).

The problem is Xiaomi usually announce shit too early. If it use the Samsung Enynos quadcore soc I would believe it coming out on time. Plus you can't walk into a store to buy one in the first couple months.

I do like MIUI roms very much. I hope I can talk my wife into dumping her 3GS and get either a Xiaomi or a Meizu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom