• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker86

usually, when a US Telco is involved, the phone's release date is soon... so VZW/Moto shouldn't be that long.
I will be impressed if it releases in September. I think I'm still holding a grudge over the Thunderbolt but technically they never had a dedicated event for it so I suppose that's different.

Socreges

Banned
Is there any way to jump to the bottom of the page (ie, the bottom of a thread's page) with ICS Browser+? The best I can do is either swipe down aggressively or hold down on the volume controls (but then I can't control volume within the browser). Any alternatives?

xxczx

Is there any way to jump to the bottom of the page (ie, the bottom of a thread's page) with ICS Browser+? The best I can do is either swipe down aggressively or hold down on the volume controls (but then I can't control volume within the browser). Any alternatives?
press on the thread title when in a thread.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
So my tf300 got an update today for Jelly Bean

I was happy.

I tried to install said update and it failed.

Now it says I have no updates available.

I am sad :(

I think it failed because I flashed the Google Now hack and forgot to restore the old search apk >_>

Now I can't update to until Asus puts out a newer update.

Learn from my brain fart.

So my tf300 got an update today for Jelly Bean

I was happy.

I tried to install said update and it failed.

Now it says I have no updates available.

I am sad :(

I think it failed because I flashed the Google Now hack and forgot to restore the old search apk >_>

Now I can't update to until Asus puts out a newer update.

Learn from my brain fart.
Just install 4ext and flash it manually.

Are they ever gonna make a more powerful Experia Play with a more powerful processor?

No. They learned from the Xperia Play update fiasco to never make another non-standard SKU.

PS-Mobile and a possible Vita Phone with Vita OS is the closest we will get to a Xperia Play successor.

Chris R

How long do I need to let ODIN run? My phone provider finally provided an update to ICS for the Galaxy SII, but won't be doing it OTA so they provided a guide to use ODIN to do it... I have a yellow ID:COM value, but looking at the guide they provided there were a BUNCH more messages (They had 10/12 messages, I only have <ID:0/003> Added!! so far)...

Just don't want to screw this up and brick my phone after wanting this so damn much!

Blackhead

Redarse
No. They learned from the Xperia Play update fiasco to never make another non-standard SKU.

PS-Mobile and a possible Vita Phone with Vita OS is the closest we will get to a Xperia Play successor.

Google has added gamepad support to the Android. What else does Sony need?

Chris R

Well I just went for it after waiting half an hour. Rather painless upgrade, sucks to see that the music player still isn't gapless, and now I get to spend the rest of the day getting my phone back to the way I like it but if this gets my Sixaxis controller working with my phone it will all have been worth it!

Galaxy SII is getting 4.1 sometime later this year right?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Well I just went for it after waiting half an hour. Rather painless upgrade, sucks to see that the music player still isn't gapless, and now I get to spend the rest of the day getting my phone back to the way I like it but if this gets my Sixaxis controller working with my phone it will all have been worth it!

Galaxy SII is getting 4.1 sometime later this year right?

Glad to hear it! ICS is a huge step forward for Android as a whole over what came before it in the 2.X variety.

Vanillalite

So I finally decided to try out FireFox for Android on my One X running ICS. So far so good. I might actually like it as much as Chrome which I installed as soon as I got my phone and have been using as my default ever since.

I guess I should give the default browser a try out at some point. I've only used it when I hit a site I really wanted to use that involved flash. It's nice that FF for Android has hooks for Flash even if Flash for Android just got end of it's life cycled. Plus I like that FF allows for extensions!

tino

Banned
So I looked into the xiaomi M1 and M2 spec a bit more. It turned out M1 was announced same time last year, with a 1.5ghz Qualcomm S3. And 1 month later, HTC announced the the Sensation XE, which had the same chip. Sensation XE went on sale in the middle of October.

My theory is that HTC will announce a new phone with the S4 Pro soc in Xiaomi M2 very soon.

Massa

there aren't that many non-phone Android devices with a built-in gamepad either. it's probably not that big of a deal...

It's a pretty obvious way to differentiate a product for a segment of the market. Sadly most of these companies seem more concerned about simply making spec sheets look better.

Plasmid

I was thinking about buying an android tablet but dunno what to get, i'm mainly going to use it for reading books and maybe a few apps. But my price range is $70-100. I've seen some on amazon but does anyone have recommendations?

Blackhead

Redarse
I was thinking about buying an android tablet but dunno what to get, i'm mainly going to use it for reading books and maybe a few apps. But my price range is $70-100. I've seen some on amazon but does anyone have recommendations?
... what do the reviews on amazon say? Links?

tino

Banned

Get an used Nook Color. You have alot more rom options.

Vanillalite

Get an used Nook Color. You have alot more rom options.

Yeah this is your best and really only bet.

$100 isn't really that much for a tablet, and that's at the top of your price range. The Nook Color recently price dropped down to $150 so you should be able to find a use one on the cheaper low.

Honestly if you just wanted to forgo the apps I'd just get an e-ink reader and call it a day. Either that or just forgo getting anything and save up a little bit more cash. $150 would get you a new Nook Color or maybe a used Nook Tablet/Kindle Fire/ or cheap 7" Android tablet.

So I think I'm done with my Evo 4G and I'm looking around for something newer, I'm on Sprint and would love a Sony phone but yeah :( I'm not very picky with phones so any suggestions?

Futureman

um my phone makes a noise when I set it down haha. I have no idea what this is. VZW GNex.

also when's my damn 4.1 being pushed Verizon?

Red

I've had a problem with an update for my Droid Bionic since July. It was 9.05 or something, the latest one. Every time I try to update, it gets to about 20% on the install screen before quitting and rebooting into a 'software update failed' ' screen. This is a stock, unrooted phone. I tried a factory reset but that didn't work. Been to a Verizon store 3 times trying to find a solution, but they refuse to replace the phone. 'Keep waiting' is the company line, 'a fixed update will be released soon, you're not the only one with problems.'

I got another update pushed to my phone last night, and was hoping it would be a fix, but I am having the exact same problem. What are my options, GAF?

buhdeh

Seems weird that Android still has no remote security options. I can remotely install apps from a browser but I can't lock or wipe my phone? Even a BlackBerry has this built in (or at least provided by RIM for free).

gcubed

Seems weird that Android still has no remote security options. I can remotely install apps from a browser but I can't lock or wipe my phone? Even a BlackBerry has this built in (or at least provided by RIM for free).

i'm sure it will get one at some point, but there are countless options available on the market to do it for you

Donos

Hmm, have to cut my sim card into a micro sim tomorrow since my One X is underway. Has the HTC software (which i alomst never used) the possibility to save all my contacts? I guess i have to backup everything else manually (GoSMS, WhatsApp, all my Colornote Notes...).

Still exited that i have finally a new Phone. Gone through alot with my Desire Hd (and its laughable 1200mah battery) and still like it. A bit heavy. Maybe i will flash some fancy (ICS) roms on it now that i don't need it. Wouldn't get more than 100&#8364; with all the marks it has.

Still sad that no one of the big dogs is bringing out a high end dual core android phone with a slim physical keyboard.

Btw. i thought Meizu would skyrocket into android like htc once did but it's quiet around them. Do they still sell the MX only in China?

andycapps

Anybody know the process of selling a rooted EVO on Sprint? I think I have to call to get the ESN unlocked or cleared, but will they do that on a rooted phone. And does that basically mean that once I do a factory wipe and clear all the data, that the phone would be unable to make any calls and my phone number would not be in the phone at all, then the next buyer would have to call Sprint to have that ESN assigned to their number?

If anybody has an old Sprint flip phone or anything else around that I could buy for cheap off you, I'd like to get it so I can use it inbetween my EVO and the new iPhone.

Also, selling an OG EVO if anyone wants it. I don't know if this is an appropriate place for it, but it has an extended battery from Amazon, Seidio case, etc. $150 OBO. Rooted and has Cyanogen 7.2 on it right now. I know this is probably not the place for it as everyone in Android GAF wants the newest and best, but if you're looking for an out of contract phone for a spouse or kid, it's still a good one.

tino

Banned
Anybody know the process of selling a rooted EVO on Sprint? I think I have to call to get the ESN unlocked or cleared, but will they do that on a rooted phone. And does that basically mean that once I do a factory wipe and clear all the data, that the phone would be unable to make any calls and my phone number would not be in the phone at all, then the next buyer would have to call Sprint to have that ESN assigned to their number?

If anybody has an old Sprint flip phone or anything else around that I could buy for cheap off you, I'd like to get it so I can use it inbetween my EVO and the new iPhone.

Also, selling an OG EVO if anyone wants it. I don't know if this is an appropriate place for it, but it has an extended battery from Amazon, Seidio case, etc. $150 OBO. Rooted and has Cyanogen 7.2 on it right now. I know this is probably not the place for it as everyone in Android GAF wants the newest and best, but if you're looking for an out of contract phone for a spouse or kid, it's still a good one.

Alot of misinformation here. Sprint phone can only used on sprint network. You don't need to unlock anything. If you can use your phone now, your esn is clean.

And Sprint really dones't care if its root. Just reset it before you sell it.

You just remind me I have a EVO with bad ESN I need to dump on ebay.

Vanillalite

Hmm, have to cut my sim card into a micro sim tomorrow since my One X is underway. Has the HTC software (which i alomst never used) the possibility to save all my contacts? I guess i have to backup everything else manually (GoSMS, WhatsApp, all my Colornote Notes...).

Still exited that i have finally a new Phone. Gone through alot with my Desire Hd (and its laughable 1200mah battery) and still like it. A bit heavy. Maybe i will flash some fancy (ICS) roms on it now that i don't need it. Wouldn't get more than 100€ with all the marks it has.

Still sad that no one of the big dogs is bringing out a high end dual core android phone with a slim physical keyboard.

Btw. i thought Meizu would skyrocket into android like htc once did but it's quiet around them. Do they still sell the MX only in China?

Where did you buy your phone from? On or off contract? Amazon just sent me a micro sim in my box.

this_guy

There are apps in the market such as Lookout that can do this for you.

Donos

Where did you buy your phone from? On or off contract? Amazon just sent me a micro sim in my box.

Sniped a used One X from ebay. 1 month old. 394€ from a girl who had problems with android and went back to IP4 :)

Read that a sending me a micro sim from my carrier (mobilcom debitel) would cost 26€ but from what i read you can't really fuckup the cutting from sim > micro sim. If i fuck it up, i still can get a new one.

andycapps

Alot of misinformation here. Sprint phone can only used on sprint network. You don't need to unlock anything. If you can use your phone now, your esn is clean.

And Sprint really dones't care if its root. Just reset it before you sell it.

You just remind me I have a EVO with bad ESN I need to dump on ebay.

When someone gets my phone and puts in their Gmail information to login, won't they still have my phone number associated with it? Or do I have to call Sprint and just tell them that I don't have this phone anymore, so then the phone in being able ot make calls or send/receive messages until the new owner calls in and has the ESN associated with their phone number? When I say unlocked, I don't mean unlocked as in able to use on other carriers, just not associated with my account. I should have been more clear.

So yeah, I guess I have clean ESN, I'm still using it now and there's nothing wrong with it.

Chris R

Bah, I can't get just vibration to work for email/text/ect notifications on ICS. Never have the volume on my phone on so I need vibrations to know when I get a text or email :<

Just hope it is some bizarre setting I'm missing. Just strange that I don't even have an option to enable it in my gmail or messenger app when I've seen screen captures saying "Make sure this box is checked!"

AndyD

aka andydumi
When someone gets my phone and puts in their Gmail information to login, won't they still have my phone number associated with it? Or do I have to call Sprint and just tell them that I don't have this phone anymore, so then the phone in being able ot make calls or send/receive messages until the new owner calls in and has the ESN associated with their phone number? When I say unlocked, I don't mean unlocked as in able to use on other carriers, just not associated with my account. I should have been more clear.

So yeah, I guess I have clean ESN, I'm still using it now and there's nothing wrong with it.

That is what you need to do. Call Sprint and have them switch your account to your new phone. Then the old phone is free of association with any cell phone account.

Bah, I can't get just vibration to work for email/text/ect notifications on ICS. Never have the volume on my phone on so I need vibrations to know when I get a text or email :<

Just hope it is some bizarre setting I'm missing. Just strange that I don't even have an option to enable it in my gmail or messenger app when I've seen screen captures saying "Make sure this box is checked!"

What phone? Some phones have a mute setting with no noise/no vibration and a silent setting with no noise but vibrations allowed. Also some phones have a setting for vibration independently of any other setting. And lastly, the individual apps you use for mail/text/etc. can have their own setting overriding system settings entirely.

Chris R

Galaxy SII. I have silent mode set to vibrate, vibrate and ring set under notifications, and notifications enabled for gmail and messages.

JordanKZ

Don't know if anyones realised... But err, they changed the Google Now voice from a female to a male voice here in the UK. Why Google?! Why! She sounds so much nicer :(

So, Jelly Bean. It's fucking awesome. I've been using it since Saturday afternoon, and I wouldn't be able to go back to ICS anymore. Google Now fucking rocks, I left my office today and somehow Google Now knew I would be taking the train from Highbury and Islington to Winchmore Hill and it brought up all of the train times that matched with my estimated arrival time to the listed train times. This is the future and I fully expect Apple to copy it.

Next, project butter, so fucking smooth. Coming from a poorly optimised 4.0.3 with Sense 3.6 to 4.1.1 (almost) stock AOSP is a complete revelation. WOW IT'S SO FUCKING SMOOTH! Considering that I have the OG Sensation clocked at 1.2GHz rather than 1.5GHz I was surprised as to how smooth the experience is. I have absolutely no slowdown in the launcher or app drawer and the pattern unlock is super smooth now. It's so awesome to have a phone that doesn't stop and think for a few seconds before carrying out what I told it to do.

Right now, I could never go back to ICS or Sense. CMX on the Sensation is almost feature complete, the only problems are finicky video playback and the front camera not working. Both features are being worked on and the latter is extremely unimportant to me so even if it is never fixed I won't shed many tears.

Jelly Bean is such a huge step forwards for Android in terms of polish and finish. ICS laid much of the groundwork with Holo, but it was clearly a WIP. JB is the finished article now, I don't even know what Google can add with Key Lime Pie, but I eagerly await it.

Vanillalite

So is there a reason everyone's decided hey you know it might be a good idea to go with smaller my focused updates on a (trying to be at least) regular schedule for web browsers like Google is doing with Chrome verses waiting for one big cumulative update on the desktop yet Google stupidly haven't brought this idea over to mobile?

Has Chrome for Android been updated since it released almost two months ago? Not that say Apple or MS are better in this regard as they tie in browser updates with system OS updates. I hate this mentality with a passion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom