• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Jelly Bean is awesome but Androids next evolution surely has to be multiple apps viewable at the same time like Samsung has implemented on the S3 and Note 10.1

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Jelly Bean is awesome but Androids next evolution surely has to be multiple apps viewable at the same time like Samsung has implemented on the S3 and Note 10.1

Well a lot of stuff that makes it into stock android first appears in those manufacturer skins. It'll probably get here eventually.

So, I'm thinking it might be time to upgrade from my original Motorola Droid.

I haven't really been paying attention to the smartphone market (Moves too fast). If it's not too much trouble, what are my choices for current-gen Android phones now, and what are some quick pros/cons?

AndyD

aka andydumi
So, I'm thinking it might be time to upgrade from my original Motorola Droid.

I haven't really been paying attention to the smartphone market (Moves too fast). If it's not too much trouble, what are my choices for current-gen Android phones now, and what are some quick pros/cons?

Its easier if you give a few more details. Such as country, carrier, and what you use the phone for in general.

There are so many options in various sizes and price ranges, that its hard to say overall. But the latest and greatest seem to be the Samsung Galaxy S3, the HTC One X and the Galaxy Nexus.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Tablet, maybe. Phone? Meh.

Its easier if you give a few more details. Such as country, carrier, and what you use the phone for in general.

There are so many options in various sizes and price ranges, that its hard to say overall. But the latest and greatest seem to be the Samsung Galaxy S3, the HTC One X and the Galaxy Nexus.

Veizon in the US. I use my phone for everything. Calls, texting, killing time on the internet, apps, camera, checking the weather, GPS, Google integration, playing music, and so on. Games aren't that important, although I do occasionally play a simple Angry Birds style game.

I want something that will fit in my pocket, is fast, has a decent battery life, and works well with the newest apps and technology. I know that since I got my phone, the Android market has branched out considerably. I know there's Droid 2, Droid X, Droid Razor, and then the millions of other companies I know nothing about. Any information would be nice before I go diving into countless reviews and specs.

tino

Banned
Veizon in the US. I use my phone for everything. Calls, texting, killing time on the internet, apps, camera, checking the weather, GPS, Google integration, playing music, and so on. Games aren't that important, although I do occasionally play a simple Angry Birds style game.

I want something that will fit in my pocket, is fast, has a decent battery life, and works well with the newest apps and technology. I know that since I got my phone, the Android market has branched out considerably. I know there's Droid 2, Droid X, Droid Razor, and then the millions of other companies I know nothing about. Any information would be nice before I go diving into countless reviews and specs.

Droid 4, Razr HD, Galaxy S3. Thats about it for Verizon.

Ashhong

Galaxy SII. I have silent mode set to vibrate, vibrate and ring set under notifications, and notifications enabled for gmail and messages.

Are you on stock TouchWiz? It's possible your vibrator (hehe) is broken. Try slapping the back of the phone, my old iPhone used to do that and would be fixed when I hit it.

TeegsD

Any news on the next Nexus phone yet? I'm wondering if I should wait or just get a Photon Q. Phone looks pretty sweet and the physical keyboard is a huge plus.

Chris R

Are you on stock TouchWiz? It's possible your vibrator (hehe) is broken. Try slapping the back of the phone, my old iPhone used to do that and would be fixed when I hit it.

Yes, stock TouchWiz (blergh). But the vibrator works fine when the phone isn't in vibrate mode :| Going to see if I can bug my carrier to get this fixed.

edit: fucking hell, gmail had it hidden 3 or 4 levels deep. Now to figure out why my texts are vibrating.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

You have two real current choices. Slightly older Samsung Galaxy Nexus with stock Android or else just get a Galaxy S3 which has basically the current best specs for North American Android phones. Don't bother looking up anything else right now.

If you wait a month you might also get this year's Moto device to choose as well which will probably be a Razr.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Hey...remember that Asus update to Jelly Bean that failed to update on my tablet?

I wrote Asus about it failing and they actually replied that the update is borked. Some people have been ale to flash it. Other have had it fail too. I've re-written the code to match my tablet's ID and it still doesn't work.

And no you can't flash it using just any recovery. It's been quite the frustrating 48 hours.

Ashhong

Yes, stock TouchWiz (blergh). But the vibrator works fine when the phone isn't in vibrate mode :| Going to see if I can bug my carrier to get this fixed.

edit: fucking hell, gmail had it hidden 3 or 4 levels deep. Now to figure out why my texts are vibrating.

Oh weird, what texting program? Stock? There is a vibrate option in the settings of both stock and Go SMS if you use that..

What are the chances the next Nexus (in the Google Play store) will have have some sort of LTE? Doesn't seem like it will be possible with everyone being on different spectrum...

Damn if it doesn't have LTE, the best choice for latest updates will be a GS3 AOSP ROM from XDA.

wario

saw this on another forum, not sure how reliable this is.
SO-04E:Xperia NEXUS・Xi・NEXT・NFC(TypeA/B/C)

L-08E:Optimus NEXUS・Xi・NEXT・キャップレス防水・NFC(TypeA/B/C

SC-02E:GALAXY NEXUS II・Xi・NEXT・NFC(TypeA/B/C)

link - look at posts 97 & 99

would be crazy if the 5 nexus phones rumor turned out to be true.

Chris R

Oh weird, what texting program? Stock? There is a vibrate option in the settings of both stock and Go SMS if you use that..

Stock, no vibrate option available under notification settings (just enable notifications and select ringtone... vibrate should be just under ringtone looking at various screen grabs).

Well whatever, email notification is a bigger deal for me anyways.

Ashhong

Ah I realized your stock messaging app is probably different from mine since you are on TouchWiz. I put on CM10 and never looked back. I highly recommend you go to CM9 at least, unless you like TW.

Don't know if anyones realised... But err, they changed the Google Now voice from a female to a male voice here in the UK. Why Google?! Why! She sounds so much nicer :(

They're probably switching to male voice to avoid being sued by Apple. Didn't you know Apple invented female voice feedback from voice recognition?

Apple will no longer be relevant, having been sued out of existence by Motorola.

Fuck you and your shitty patent warring, Motorola.

Ahahahah, what. You're blaming Motorola for counter-attacking in a war that Apple started? Really? Google bought Motorola precisely because they wanted to do this to defend their Android OEMs from Apple, you know. Judging from how stupid Samsung has been with making hundred-page documents detailing how they planned to copy Apple, I do think Samsung will lose in the current trial. Android OEMs need all the help they can get if Samsung loses, because Apple is going to go after all of them one by one until Android is no longer allowed to exist. This is the goal, you know. Steve Jobs said he wanted to destroy Android and Tim Cook is doing his best to honor Jobs' final wish.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Ahahahah, what. You're blaming Motorola for counter-attacking in a war that Apple started? Really? Google bought Motorola precisely because they wanted to do this to defend their Android OEMs from Apple, you know. Judging from how stupid Samsung has been with making hundred-page documents detailing how they planned to copy Apple, I do think Samsung will lose in the current trial. Android OEMs need all the help they can get if Samsung loses, because Apple is going to go after all of them one by one until Android is no longer allowed to exist. This is the goal, you know. Steve Jobs said he wanted to destroy Android and Tim Cook is doing his best to honor Jobs' final wish.

My stance is universal. I've already said fuck Apple for their patent warring on countless occasions. Yes, in this case they're arguably more to blame, but fuck everyone who uses shitty overreaching patents to screw the industry over.

The only good that can come out of this is patent reform.

Nicktendo86

My stance is universal. I've already said fuck Apple for their patent warring on countless occasions. Yes, in this case they're arguably more to blame, but fuck everyone who uses shitty overreaching patents to screw the industry over.

The only good that can come out of this is patent reform.

iapetus has consistantly called out patent trolling, no matter who the party is (Apple, Samsung etc) and rightly so, this shit needs to stop.

On a happy note, anyone read today that T-Mobile/Orange have been given the go ahead by Ofcom in the UK to use thier network for 4G? Rollout can start from 11th September, hopefully will be ready in time for my upgrade next August :D

iapetus has consistantly called out patent trolling, no matter who the party is (Apple, Samsung etc) and rightly so, this shit needs to stop.

On a happy note, anyone read today that T-Mobile/Orange have been given the go ahead by Ofcom in the UK to use thier network for 4G? Rollout can start from 11th September, hopefully will be ready in time for my upgrade next August :D

Expect that decision to be tied up in court cases and litigation until Ofcom sell the LTE licences to other telcos.

There is no way O2 and Voda allow EE to get such a huge headstart on 4G roll-out, the decision by Ofcom was wrong and quite possibly corrupt given how wrong it was.

Nicktendo86

Expect that decision to be tied up in court cases and litigation until Ofcom sell the LTE licences to other telcos.

There is no way O2 and Voda allow EE to get such a huge headstart on 4G roll-out, the decision by Ofcom was wrong and quite possibly corrupt given how wrong it was.

Really? Oh damn, why can't they all just get a move on! Who is holding it up, Ofcom or the networks?

Edit: just read this from the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19328653

I can see why O2/Voda would be upset but, looking at this from the EE point of view, it's not their fault their competitors don't have the ability to roll out 4G now while they do. This whole affair has been delayed so much I just want to see some movement forward.

Really? Oh damn, why can't they all just get a move on! Who is holding it up, Ofcom or the networks?

Well Ofcom have been holding up the selling of the licences for reasons beyond comprehension and suddenly they rule in favour of EE rolling out their 4G. Go back to the merger of Orange and T-Mobile UK and there were serious misgivings about allowing the merger to go ahead but Ofcom just waved it through.

The whole merger of Orange and T-Mobile stunk, and now this decision to allow them to build out 4G while the rest of the telcos are forced to wait by Ofcom (for literally no reason) also stinks.

Nicktendo86

Well Ofcom have been holding up the selling of the licences for reasons beyond comprehension and suddenly they rule in favour of EE rolling out their 4G. Go back to the merger of Orange and T-Mobile UK and there were serious misgivings about allowing the merger to go ahead but Ofcom just waved it through.

The whole merger of Orange and T-Mobile stunk, and now this decision to allow them to build out 4G while the rest of the telcos are forced to wait by Ofcom (for literally no reason) also stinks.

Okay I see now, thanks for that. Makes no sense whatsoever for Ofcom to hold up the auction process, something very shady about all of that...

Edit: oh and how Ofcom have come to the conclusion that this move won't distort the marketplace I have no idea. Being able to say 'one of only two networks able to supply 4G service' would be a massive boon, will have to see hw this works out. I can't see manufactors getting that many phones over here able to use the network anyway, for a while at least.

DEO3

Dumb question, but what's the point of a proxy server?

My wife bought me a Galaxy Nexus for my birthday last month that I'm using with Straight Talk, but half the time I try and load a webpage it fails and I have a pop up error message that says something to the effect of "authentication via the proxy server was unsuccessful" - I have to keep reloading a page until it eventually loads, and then on occasion it'll actually load the page but still give me the pop up error. I also have been having a lot of connection issues in apps as well, which I suspect is related to the proxy server thing.

I've tried turning my phone on and off, I've done a factory reset, but I finally was able to fix it by going into my APN settings and simply deleting the proxy server entries. Now things work great, no more error messages, apps work well, but I'm not sure why. What exactly does an APN proxy server do, and what does it mean for me now that I've deleted it?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Who was the person who asked about the G. Nexus successor? It begins:

gsmarena_001.jpg

It looks like Samsung will make the next generation of the Google’s ”Nexus” line code name: GT-I9260.
Samsung made before this phone the Google Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus.
The next generation of the Nexus looks to be a small upgrade.
When we see the specification we can say… Yes the screen, processor and camera is better, but for the HIGH-END market the processor isn’t that great.
Google will use a 1.5 dual-core processor. Really strange? No why? Android 4.1 runs fine on a 1.2 dual-core processor so there is no need to use a quad-core processor.
Some good things are that the next Nexus will use a better screen and a better back/front camera.
Both are updated to a higher level.
For us the only sad thing is the 1.5 dual-core processor.
But the device price will be cheaper, and there would be more market for Google in that.
Samsung is the big boss in the HIGH-END Android market with the Galaxy S II, Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note, but Google could be one of the biggest players in the MID-RANGE – HIGH-END market with this device if the price is cheap of course.
Maybe we will get some high-end quad-core devices by Motorola which is owned by Google.
Let’s wait and see.

http://www.sammobile.com/2012/08/21/are-these-the-specifications-of-the-new-nexus-gt-i9260/

I've just heard that both Voda and O2 are set to take this decision to the ECJ as they say it is a breach of competition rules and disagree with Ofcom. If this happens ECJ will put a temporary injunction on the roll out of LTE in the UK. Not only that but the LTE type that has been approved is very random and will not be interoperable with the EU standard and may contravene single market rules.

Doopliss

Hope it's not real. I want my next phone to have a bigger screen than my GS2, and a 16:9 4.65" is almost exactly the same size when you take into account the on-screen nav buttons.

Nicktendo86

Hope it's not real. I want my next phone to have a bigger screen than my GS2, and a 16:9 4.65" is almost exactly the same size when you take into account the on-screen nav buttons.

Disagree about screen size, any bigger would be too big. Going from GS2 to GNexus felt great in terms of screen size even with the Nav buttons.

gutshot

Only a slight bump in specs could mean Google is hoping to keep their Nexus phones at that $350 off-contract price. That would be pretty smart.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
That article is also horrible because the author is obviously not knowledgeable enough on phone and region differences. Just look at the part where the Author is wondering why it's the 1.5 dual core and not the 1.4 quad even if it's obvious for us posting in this thread.

Makes me question the whole thing.

Thats a very piss poor spec. Unless google plan to sell it at $199.

I could see this replacing the current Galaxy Nexus on the Play Store, while at the same time, keeping it's $350 price tag (or dropping to $300). I'm thinking this is just a quick refresh; since Google probably wants to continue selling the Galaxy Nexus for another year.

The link Wario posted shows that there may be an actual Galaxy Nexus II on the horizon, as well as an Xperia Nexus and Optimus Nexus. Perhaps Google wants to position the Galaxy Nexus as their "budget" phone, and selling the others as their high-end. Assuming that info is correct, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom