• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toki767

Donos said:
Galaxy S still on froyo? Wow, ok i take that back with the edge.
Yep...I think every Galaxy S phone in the US is still on Froyo officially, though there have been Gingerbread leaks for them for the past few months.

Circle T

Lesiroth said:
Isn't Super AMOLED a Samsung trademark?

I guess there's no livestream of this anywhere?
No livestream video, but the liveblog at TIMN is going at a very quick pace, so it works just as well.

As far as SAMOLED, I don't think Samsung own the trademark, they are just one of the worlds primary (only?) supplier of those screens. Perhaps Moto is using them for this device?

Circle T

OK, I have to say, the RAZR looks damn awesome.... but Moto's previous stance on locking bootloaders and such make me really apprehensive about getting one.

It will be interesting to see what officially comes tonight from Google & Samsung, and how VZW plays into it. I'm going to be replacing my Droid Charge with something in the coming weeks/month, so I'm happy to see the choices are looking good.

Lesiroth

Circle T said:
OK, I have to say, the RAZR looks damn awesome.... but Moto's previous stance on locking bootloaders and such make me really apprehensive about getting one.

It will be interesting to see what officially comes tonight from Google & Samsung, and how VZW plays into it. I'm going to be replacing my Droid Charge with something in the coming weeks/month, so I'm happy to see the choices are looking good.
I'd be really disappointed if the RAZR still has a locked bootloader, surely Google can do something about that.

zedge

The Faceless Master said:
maybe they bought some from Samsung? i mean, Samsung does sell stuff like that in bulk...
Afaik Samsung is the sole producer of amoled screens. They would have to buy from them.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Doopliss said:
Pentile on the RAZR, right? They called it Super AMOLED Advanced...
I think its the same display as the bionic.. was that pentile?

rozay

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
maybe they bought some from Samsung? i mean, Samsung does sell stuff like that in bulk...
These are likely Samsung sourced.

Jtwo said:
Bionic used a regular lcd that was pentile I believe, no word on if this is pentile.

gcubed

rozay said:
These are likely Samsung sourced.

Bionic used a regular lcd that was pentile I believe, no word on if this is pentile.

the Atrix 2 isn't pentile anymore, so i would assume this one moved on as well

Circle T

Jtwo said:
Bionic has a LCD display, while the RAZR is using SAMOLED, so not the same. I'm just guessing, but I'm thinking that "Super AMOLED Advanced" is Moto's way of saying is is using a standard RGB arrangement as opposed to Pentile. Perhaps Samsung has the trademark on the name "SAMOLED+" for these displays, so Moto is useing a slightly different name, but underneath they are similar. I guess we'll have to wait until people get more detailed hands-on with one.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I see! I guess I took the "bionic in new clothing" a bit too literally.

Doopliss

Circle T said:
Bionic has a LCD display, while the RAZR is using SAMOLED, so not the same. I'm just guessing, but I'm thinking that "Super AMOLED Advanced" is Moto's way of saying is is using a standard RGB arrangement as opposed to Pentile. Perhaps Samsung has the trademark on the name "SAMOLED+" for these displays, so Moto is useing a slightly different name, but underneath they are similar. I guess we'll have to wait until people get more detailed hands-on with one.
It seems more likely to me that Samsung has a trademark on all Super AMOLED names, and that the Advanced just refers to it being qHD as opposed to WVGA.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, all this ridiculous branding nonsense makes Retina seem not that offensive.

Paznos

Circle T said:

http://twitter.com/#!/Motorola/statuses/126342384979156992

Bootloader locked.... sigh.

Circle T

Doopliss said:
It seems more likely to me that Samsung has a trademark on all Super AMOLED names, and that the Advanced just refers to it being qHD as opposed to WVGA.
Yea, who knows. After I read that the bootloader is locked, I instantly lost all interest in the phone.

Paznos said:

Yep, sigh indeed. The "per the carrier" part scares me a bit for the Nexus.

kehs

Banned
BigFwoosh said:
Dunno if this has been posted yet, but the Android source repository is down =)

http://android.git.kernel.org/

This may bode well for ICS source releasing soon!

Jean-Baptiste Queru said:
It's already Oct 18 in some parts of the world. In California, it's
still Oct 17 right now because we wake up later than almost everyone
else and it takes us some time to catch up.

Either way, Oct 18 isn't far away, so you won't have to wait too long.

JBQ

hawt

rozay

Banned
We're getting it TODAY?!

VKZeA.jpg

Cipherr

Circle T said:

Yep, I mean th...

Paznos said:

Dead to me... Absolutely dead to me.

Swig_

What do you guys know about the Motorola Photon? I'm prob switching to Sprint here soon and am looking for a new phone. Never had a smartphone before.

I was considering mostly the Galaxy S2 and the EVo3D, but I hear the Photon has really good reception, which is important, because I'm planning on using it for tethering at work and several people I work with have trouble with data reception at work.

Also, I'd like to tether (either with Sprint wifi hotspot or PDANet). Is that something that is available on all android phones or do I have to check to be sure it'll work with my specific phone?

andycapps

Kod1ak said:
What do you guys know about the Motorola Photon? I'm prob switching to Sprint here soon and am looking for a new phone. Never had a smartphone before.

I was considering mostly the Galaxy S2 and the EVo3D, but I hear the Photon has really good reception, which is important, because I'm planning on using it for tethering at work and several people I work with have trouble with data reception at work.

Also, I'd like to tether (either with Sprint wifi hotspot or PDANet). Is that something that is available on all android phones or do I have to check to be sure it'll work with my specific phone?

I don't know much about the Photon, but I know the GS II just came out on Sprint and it's a great phone. I assume when you're talking about tethering, you're talking about ways to do it legally/within Sprint's rules? If you're not opposed to rooting, lot of the ROM's come with tethering built in.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
gcubed said:
Super AMOLED HD+ Extreme Resolution MAX Colorific Quattro
I made that joke like 2 months ago and got flamed for it, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom