• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

rozay

Banned
XMonkey said:
Hey look, a Droid X.

I like you Motorola, but show some initiative.
That looks amazingly better than the Droid X does. Honestly every android phone nowdays is just a large black slab, and that is why I'm going to miss my nexus one.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I can't even send a text message with my Droid right now. It either crashes, senses phantom touches, launches me to google reader inexplicably or just plain locks up. It makes me really skeptical of hardware not made by Apple. My firstgen iPhone that I gave to a pal is over twice as old as this phone and provides a better experience. I know there are a lot of satisfied HTC/Moto/Samsung customers out there, but when you've as bad of luck as I've had its hard to feel anything but complete and utter disdain at shitty plasticy hardware. I'm more excited about the Prime than anyone, but I just am really having a bad night and am super cynical about yet another dud of cellphone.

Because lets face it, anything less than absolute best of class superb on the hardware design and manufacturing front is a complete and utter failure.

lol.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
wario said:
i don't get why it's being called the RAZR. shouldn't it be a thin flip phone then?
I think the thinness is there. Its too hardcore and metal looking though. The RAZR actually had a lot of femininity to it, in my opinion. Something that is sadly lacking from this new one. The original RAZR was a kind and soft device in the aesthetics department.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
rozay said:
That looks amazingly better than the Droid X does. Honestly every android phone nowdays is just a large black slab, and that is why I'm going to miss my nexus one.
It looks like a more refined Droid X. What the third one might have ended up looking like.

I'm just saying I want Moto to branch out a bit more.

Probably discussed already, but Samsung Canada said this about the Nexus Prime:

The coolest Samsung smartphone will be coming to Canada soon. Stay tuned for additional information regarding launch date and availability in the coming weeks.

Non-Verizon, GSM version, for the win.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Cool/ That will be the first thing I add to the event thread OP in the morning. I'm sure I missed some stuff, but I started to feel all this pressure about getting it up by tonight so I just went ahead and pulled the trigger.

Vyse The Legend said:
Probably discussed already, but Samsung Canada said this about the Nexus Prime:

The coolest Samsung smartphone will be coming to Canada soon. Stay tuned for additional information regarding launch date and availability in the coming weeks.

Non-Verizon, GSM version, for the win.
obviously, they mean the super awesome Samsung W899

2chudft.jpg

Cipherr

DarkFlow83 said:
That is one cool looking phone. I like the idea of a Clamshell smartphone, helps protect the screen for one.

What about the outer screen :D lol that phone has a screen on both sides.

beje

Banned
Cipherr said:
What about the outer screen :D lol that phone has a screen on both sides.

The love for clamshell design in Japan has gone too far. I mean, seriously? That's probably one of the most ass-backwards designs I've ever seen

beje said:
The love for clamshell design in Japan has gone too far. I mean, seriously? That's probably one of the most ass-backwards designs I've ever seen
no way man, that phone looks ssssiiiccckkk!!!

man, i remember when the USA and Japan were the last 2 flip phone holdouts... what happened America!?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The Faceless Master said:
no way man, that phone looks ssssiiiccckkk!!!

man, i remember when the USA and Japan were the last 2 flip phone holdouts... what happened America!?
The iphone happened. Then bar phones hit their second stride

obviously, they mean the super awesome Samsung W899

2chudft.jpg
It doesn't run on Android but it looks great ! I'd buy one if there was an Android version.

EDIT : Nevermind, after searching a little bit more it does run on Android. Where can I find one in Europe ?

beje said:
That phone is for China, not Japan.

Tribes of Trusty said:
It doesn't run on Android but it looks great ! I'd buy one if there was an Android version.

EDIT : Nevermind, after searching a little bit more it does run on Android. Where can I find one in Europe ?
You can't. It's a phone for the Chinese market with CDMA bands.

wow so i'm excited for this event...i got laid off in may, so they only things i've been doing for the last few months is job hunting, interviewing, hangin with the fam, gaming and reading about android, hotly anticipating this phone....

i really hope it's a big deal, the morsels of info on it really have been few and far between.

Anyone have any inkling when Samsung would be likely to update the GS2 to ICS? Currently considering debranding the phone as it is but if they get ICs out in a reasonable time frame, the considering shall be over.

J Tourettes said:
Anyone have any inkling when Samsung would be likely to update the GS2 to ICS? Currently considering debranding the phone as it is but if they get ICs out in a reasonable time frame, the considering shall be over.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a few months after release. You'd be able to get it pretty soon if you're rooted.

Blackhead

Redarse
Alien Bob said:
So putting ICS on my GS2 would give me even more buttons?

The power, it feels good...
:/ it feels weird. Why have a software app drawer button and a home button right below it?! I hope that dock is removed (if you want the phone, web etc icons there then just put the shortcuts on your homescreen).

gcubed

Radec said:
Will the ICS be released anytime soon? Or exactly tomorrow after the event?
Its not like ios, it will most likely not be aosp'ed until after the nexus releases. I wouldn't expect any non nexus device to have it this year, this way if it does happen you can be surprised.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
GalaxyNexus.jpg

The Google Android Ice Cream Sandwich and Samsung Galaxy Nexus/Nexus Prime event is just around the corner but here's something to get you through the next twelve hours of waiting. The image above together with the specs below are allegedly as close to official as possible as they come from Japanese carrier NTT DoCoMo.

As you can see, the phone pictured above is the same with the one surfaced in real life shots and the side of the device is nothing else than what Samsung teased in its video, with the four connectors and the curved design.

Specs-wise, the Galaxy Nexus will reportedly sport a Texas Instruments OMAO 4460 1.2GHz dual-core processor helped by the PowerVR SGX 540 GPU, 1GB of RAM, 16/32GB of ROM, 4.7-inch Super AMOLED HD display with 720 x 1280 resolution, NFC, five-megapixel main camera, 1.3-megapixel webcam, GPS, Bluetooth 3.0, WiFi a/b/g/n and a 1750 mAh battery plus notification LED.

Powering it will be, as expected, Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and the phone will be codenamed (as we've previously seem) "Tuna"/"Tuna 4G". It will weight approximately 135 grams and measure 136.0 x 68.0 x 8.8 mm with 11.5 mm at its thickest part, the hump on the back. Now let's wait and see the official announcement! Excited yet?

Specs-wise, the Galaxy Nexus will reportedly sport a Texas Instruments OMAO 4460 1.2GHz dual-core processor helped by the PowerVR SGX 540 GPU, 1GB of RAM, 16/32GB of ROM, 4.7-inch Super AMOLED HD display with 720 x 1280 resolution, NFC, five-megapixel main camera, 1.3-megapixel webcam, GPS, Bluetooth 3.0, WiFi a/b/g/n and a 1750 mAh battery plus notification LED.

If this spec is true which i think it is, then aside from the 720p (NOT AMOLED+) screen the Galaxy s2 is on par and in some cases exceed the spec of the Galaxy Nexus, thats a bit underwhelming considering how hype this phone is. Oh well i wait and see tomorrow to make sure.

SimleuqiR

sleeping_dragon said:
If this spec is true which i think it is, then aside from the 720p (NOT AMOLED+) screen the Galaxy s2 is on par and in some cases exceed the spec of the Galaxy Nexus, thats a bit underwhelming considering how hype this phone is. Oh well i wait and see tomorrow to make sure.
Specs for this thing have been set in stone for a long time. That's why it won't be bleeding edge. The real issue here is ICS, and how long it's taking Google to release it. They could've released this phone back in April, with gingerbread, and people would have been floored by the specs. Now? Not so much.

But that's just me talking out my ass.

All I really care for is vanilla Android and what goodies ICS is bringing.

SimleuqiR said:
Specs for this thing have been set in stone for a long time. That's why it won't be bleeding edge. The real issue here is ICS, and how long it's taking Google to release it. They could've released this phone back in April, with gingerbread, and people would have been floored by the specs. Now? Not so much.

OMAP 4460 and DAT HD AMOLED weren't ready in April...

SimleuqiR said:

Well lets hope ICS make good use of those 1.2 duo core cpu compared to gingerbread.

gcubed

Aruarian Reflection said:
Is the ICS/Nexus Prime launch event later today worth starting a thread for? No live streams, I'm presuming

always live streams. This is Google. A thread is already started

Donos

In a few month when ICS and nexus owners get it's 4.1 update people with "on par" SGIIs will take the thread with "samzung, y u no update to ICS". Besides the lg quadcore ferrari power specs rumored really early most ppl expected that the nexus prime wouldnt crush the top tier spec phones. A high end phone and ics is all i wanted and that is what prime is delivering. I dont know since when htc, motorola and samsung are cooking their 4.0 sense, motoblur and touchwhiz overlays but i guess it will still take time till they get updated. Samsung has maybe the edge.

Donos said:
In a few month when ICS and nexus owners get it's 4.1 update people with "on par" SGIIs will take the thread with "samzung, y u no update to ICS". Besides the lg quadcore ferrari power specs rumored really early most ppl expected that the nexus prime wouldnt crush the top tier spec phones. A high end phone and ics is all i wanted and that is what prime is delivering. I dont know since when htc, motorola and samsung are cooking their 4.0 sense, motoblur and touchwhiz overlays but i guess it will still take time till they get updated. Samsung has maybe the edge.
yeah, like they had the edge with the original Galaxy S and yet quite a few of those are still on Froyo?

Edit: Wait, did they ever release Froyo for the Samsung Continuum?

Officially, i mean...

Donos

yeah, like they had the edge with the original Galaxy S and yet quite a few of those are still on Froyo?

Edit: Wait, did they ever release Froyo for the Samsung Continuum?

Officially, i mean...
Galaxy S still on froyo? Wow, ok i take that back with the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom