• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lord almighty you guys have hyped this thing beyond any hope of El Goog actually delivering.

I won't be surprised to see IOS5 style subtle improvements and the addition of hardware acceleration for ICS and an OK update to the Nexus hardware. Nexus S was already surpassed before it was released afterall.

gcubed

colinisation said:
Lord almighty you guys have hyped this thing beyond any hope of El Goog actually delivering.

I won't be surprised to see IOS5 style subtle improvements and the addition of hardware acceleration for ICS and an OK update to the Nexus hardware. Nexus S was already surpassed before it was released afterall.
That's all the sane majority of us are expecting

xtop

http://phandroid.com/2011/10/18/samsung-galaxy-nexus-official-press-release-and-all/

Galaxy Nexus – Main Features
Android 4.0 Ice Cream
4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED Screen with 720p resolution
1.2GHz dual-core processor
Redsigned UI in Android 4.0
Improved multi-tasking, notifications, Wi-Fi hotspot, NF support, full web browsing
Android 4.0 features Software Navigation buttons – brand new
People App with Google+ Integration among other features
Redesigned camera with panorama mode, 1080p video, zero-shutter lag, silly faces and background replacement features
Face Unlock: Facial recognition to unlock your phone! BOOM that just happened.
Android Beam uses NFC to easily share content with other Android users with the bump of phones
PURE GOOGLE EXPERIENCE
All the Google Apps you love from Android Market and GMail to Movie Studio and redesigned Google+ app
8.94mm thick, 4.29mm bezel
LTE and HSPA+ connectivity
Available in USA, Europe, and Asia beginning in November and then rolled out globally

people app has me intrigued

Okay, so we've already seen Ice Cream Sandwich running on the Nexus S, but that was decidedly... unofficial. We've just heard straight from Google's Gabe Cohen that the Nexus S will definitely be getting ICS. In fact, both he and Matias Duarte think most Gingerbread devices will see an upgrade, saying: "Currently in the process for releasing Ice Cream Sandwich for Nexus S. Theoretically should work for any 2.3 device." It's hardly a surprise and there's no specific word on timing just yet, but hopefully it won't take long to move that vanilla Android device up to something with a breaded exterior.

Update: We also asked about whether the Nexus One is getting some ICS love, but there's no clear plan just yet.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/19/google-confirms-nexus-s-will-get-ice-cream-sandwich-for-real/

IN OTHER NEWS, SAMSUNG HAS STARTED RELEASING THE GINGERBREADS ON AMERICAN GALAXY S DEVICES

Pctx

Banned
wario said:
asus transformer 2 teaser

EDIT:
in other news, andy rubin said ics source code should be released a few weeks after the galaxy nexus next month.
SDK is already up and I've downloaded it. ICS is the real deal. Manufactures should start working on their baked versions post-hast.

And that teaser basically looks like Asus is pounding Samsung with a unit that is the same size if not smaller than the Galaxy Tab.

Pctx said:
SDK is already up and I've downloaded it. ICS is the real deal. Manufactures should start working on their baked versions post-hast.

And that teaser basically looks like Asus is pounding Samsung with a unit that is the same size if not smaller than the Galaxy Tab.
For the uninformed. Is the SDK the same thing as sourcecode? If not, what's the difference?

daoster

PrivateWHudson said:
For the uninformed. Is the SDK the same thing as sourcecode? If not, what's the difference?

It is not. SDK is something like an emulator right? Mainly for developers to start working on making programs and seeing how it works on the new OS through the emulator.

daoster said:
It is not. SDK is something like an emulator right? Mainly for developers to start working on making programs and seeing how it works on the new OS through the emulator.
Well it's also all the tools and apis exposed to the developers to start making apps. Developers of Android applications only care about the SDK, anyone wanting to mess with how ICS actually works needs the source.

gcubed

Pctx said:

The SDK actually is usable, unlike honeycomb

Pctx said:

Was pumped for getting hold of the SDK until I realised that none of the 4.0 stuff is going to be exposed to the NDK, booo.

Danj

So I got all excited about Cyanogenmod adding support for the X8, but there's no official install instructions for it yet and actually it seems like there are a lot of problems with it. So I decided I'd try one of the other X8 ROMs on XDA Developers. I managed to accomplish the first step which is rooting the phone and installing busybox, but I can't find out how to install ClockworkMod Recovery. All the instructions I've seen are either "use ROM Manager" (X8 is not in the list of phones ROM Manager will serve) or assume you already have some recovery installed (I'm still on the stock 2.1).

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Sky Chief

Can anyone with an LTE device tell me how much data they are typically using in a month?

I really like what I have seen of the Galaxy Nexus but I do not have Verizon and their new smartphone plans are so expensive. To get 450 minutes, 250 texts, and 5GB of data is $95/month before taxes and other fees!!! This is really shocking when I realize that if I switch to Sprint I can get 450 minutes, unlimited data, and unlimited texting for less than $65/month after my corporate discount.

However, I am still willing to go with Verizon if I am not going to go too far over 5GB so wanted some usage data from others. Thanks.

andycapps

Sky Chief said:
Can anyone with an LTE device tell me how much data they are typically using in a month?

I really like what I have seen of the Galaxy Nexus but I do not have Verizon and their new smartphone plans are so expensive. To get 450 minutes, 250 texts, and 5GB of data is $95/month before taxes and other fees!!! This is really shocking when I realize that if I switch to Sprint I can get 450 minutes, unlimited data, and unlimited texting for less than $65/month after my corporate discount.

However, I am still willing to go with Verizon if I am not going to go too far over 5GB so wanted some usage data from others. Thanks.

I'm on Sprint, not really sure how much data we usually use as I don't care.. It's unlimited. Hence why I'm hoping the Nexus comes to Sprint ASAP.

Sky Chief

andycapps said:
I'm on Sprint, not really sure how much data we usually use as I don't care.. It's unlimited. Hence why I'm hoping the Nexus comes to Sprint ASAP.

Yeah, I guess I'm kinda in the same boat

Nice to see a new version of Android...that I won't get on my Droid Charge until a year after it's out (if ever) and will be so contaminated by TouchWiz it'll be unrecognizable.

Futureman

So my Droid X pauses music with the SLIGHTEST touch of the headphone port. Super annoying.

Anyone know if it's possible to disable the music pausing when you pull the headphones out?

Danj said:
So I got all excited about Cyanogenmod adding support for the X8, but there's no official install instructions for it yet and actually it seems like there are a lot of problems with it. So I decided I'd try one of the other X8 ROMs on XDA Developers. I managed to accomplish the first step which is rooting the phone and installing busybox, but I can't find out how to install ClockworkMod Recovery. All the instructions I've seen are either "use ROM Manager" (X8 is not in the list of phones ROM Manager will serve) or assume you already have some recovery installed (I'm still on the stock 2.1).

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1117100

Sky Chief said:

what are you planning to do on your phone to make you think you could hit the cap and how often will you have Wifi available?

gcubed

Sky Chief said:

depends what you do. I rarely go over 1gb, but if i am commuting a lot i may be watching more netflix, etc and it may jump up. I've never gone over 3gb in my owning life

Circle T

gcubed said:
depends what you do. I rarely go over 1gb, but if i am commuting a lot i may be watching more netflix, etc and it may jump up. I've never gone over 3gb in my owning life
Yup. Even though I have "Unlimited" LTE from VZW, I check my data every now and then, just to make sure things aren't getting out of control. Even with tethering enabled for my laptop and TouchPad, with just normal web browsing, email, etc, I hardly use more than 1-1.5GB or so. Obviously, when you start watching video, or downloading a ton of stuff, that will go up. I would think 5GB would be plenty for most normal consumers.

sangreal

Sky Chief said:

I used ~3GB in September but that was a slow month. It's almost all from tethering though

Sky Chief

The Faceless Master said:
what are you planning to do on your phone to make you think you could hit the cap and how often will you have Wifi available?

I guess mainly web browsing, listening to Google Music and Pandora, and Youtube. I'm really wondering how much data cloud stuff like Google Music and hosting pictures online will use. I always have WiFi at home but not at work.

Just out of interest, how much data would watching a TV show on Netflix or NFL Sunday Ticket use?

gcubed

Sky Chief said:
I guess mainly web browsing, listening to Google Music and Pandora, and Youtube.

Just out of interest, how much data would watching a TV show on Netflix or NFL Sunday Ticket use?

lots :)

listening to pandora can add up too if you are doing it constantly. Web browsing and youtube is nothing.

HBO Go, Max Go, Netflix, SlingPlayer, those are the things that are going to destroy your data if you are doing them consistently and a lot. 5gb is still quite a bit.

Work around some of the usage. Set your google music to cache everything, preload them before you leave the house. You'd be amazed at how many places you go have wifi, use it whenever you can.

Sky Chief

gcubed said:
lots :)

listening to pandora can add up too if you are doing it constantly. Web browsing and youtube is nothing.

HBO Go, Max Go, Netflix, SlingPlayer, those are the things that are going to destroy your data if you are doing them consistently and a lot. 5gb is still quite a bit.

Work around some of the usage. Set your google music to cache everything, preload them before you leave the house. You'd be amazed at how many places you go have wifi, use it whenever you can.

Thanks, I don't know, maybe I can get by on a 2GB plan. The overages don't seem too ridiculous, $10/GB right?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Feel like a god damn king with my unlimited everything at 25$ plan. Weird that mobilicity and wind don't have half the market by now with their cheap plans.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So apparently this thing exists:

vu7j2.jpg

Kobo quietly launches Vox Android tablet with 7-inch display, Gingerbread, $200 price tag

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/19/kobo-quietly-launches-vox-android-tablet-with-7-inch-display-gi/

Futureman

I have my Droid X on a custom ROM that has since stopped putting out updates.

I'm considering switching over to CM7. Is there a chance that CM9 will be compatible with the Droid X? CM9 will be their version of ICS, correct?

On my phone, I already have Droid X Bootstrapper, Superuser and Titanium Backup. Is there some easy guide to follow for going from one custom ROM to CM7?

I'm on Fission 2.5.7 if it matters.

edit: eh... it looks like the CM7 for the X is still based off Froyo? I guess there's no real reason to switch then if Fission is working fine for me.

kinggroin

Banned
Futureman said:
I have my Droid X on a custom ROM that has since stopped putting out updates.

I'm considering switching over to CM7. Is there a chance that CM9 will be compatible with the Droid X? CM9 will be their version of ICS, correct?

On my phone, I already have Droid X Bootstrapper, Superuser and Titanium Backup. Is there some easy guide to follow for going from one custom ROM to CM7?

I'm on Fission 2.5.7 if it matters.

Because the X has a locked bootloader, we'd have to wait for Motorola to release an ICS based kernel before seeing anything from CM.

CM 7.1 is worth the update however. Just make sure you are on a rooted. 602 kernel first.

Lesiroth

Divvy said:
So apparently this thing exists:

http://i.imgur.com/vu7j2.jpg[IMG]

[URL="http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/19/kobo-quietly-launches-vox-android-tablet-with-7-inch-display-gi/"]http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/19/kobo-quietly-launches-vox-android-tablet-with-7-inch-display-gi/[/URL][/QUOTE]
dat bezel

Futureman

kinggroin said:
Because the X has a locked bootloader, we'd have to wait for Motorola to release an ICS based kernel before seeing anything from CM.

CM 7.1 is worth the update however. Just make sure you are on a rooted. 602 kernel first.

hm, ok. I kinda wanna play around with my phone, so I think I'll get onto CM7.

It says my kernel is 2.6.32.9......

can you link me on how to get to the right kernel from here? or should it be easy enough following off of CM's site?

I have to say the new Nexus Galaxy looks gorgeous. Even if almost all new cellphones look great nowadays it's still a stand out. Still wish it was more curved like the Nexus Prime renders though.

WXt81.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom