• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
man of science said:
So... with Google Music Beta, no lock screen controls and no way to save files to sd card?
You can save to SDcard. Hold down on the album/track and press pin to device.

dream said:
Are there any comic readers better than Perfect Viewer? The UI on this thing is just sooooooooooo janky.

Get Komik. I don't like Perfect Viewer at all. I even tried it recently and just didn't like how it worked.

So, Asus announced the Transformer Prime, and confirmed that the current Transformer would get ICS before the end of the year.

An Android manufacturer that actually updates their old devices in a timely fashion? Craziness.

Notrollious said:
Any good media managers, ala iTunes, but less shitty? I'd love to have my music and everything sync'd from one place, as well as a good way to back up my stuff.

I use Winamp, it supports Android natively. Even better if you have the app, Wifi sync, streaming, controls, etc.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
equap said:
never had your phone locked up on you and the only way is to pull the battery?
Very rarely. If that's happening once a week for some of you guys, I would look into it. Maybe do a fresh install.

Vyse The Legend said:
So, Asus announced the Transformer Prime, and confirmed that the current Transformer would get ICS before the end of the year.

An Android manufacturer that actually updates their old devices in a timely fashion? Craziness.

Transformer 2 looks fantastic too, 8.3mm thin... If it's compatible with the existing keyboard dock then I might have to push the button on an upgrade for my current Transformer.

gcubed

equap said:
never had your phone locked up on you and the only way is to pull the battery?
Probably 3 times in 2 years. You can hard reset non removable battery devices also. Xoom is power and volume down (?)

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Transformer 2 might be where I finally jump in on a tablet. I want a tablet I can sort of use as a netbook - but I also want an ACTUAL tablet.

Tegra 3 sold me on it.

gcubed

Kinitari said:
Transformer 2 might be where I finally jump in on a tablet. I want a tablet I can sort of use as a netbook - but I also want an ACTUAL tablet.

Tegra 3 sold me on it.

did they test it yet? From some leaked tests, its not all that impressive. They are still behind the curve

Doopliss

zskfh4.jpg

I don't understand this screenshot. On the Galaxy Nexus there is never any menu button, right? Meaning all functionality has to be available without one. So, on older devices that get ICS, instead of having the menu button bring up a superfluous menu why not just have it function as the multitasking button?

SimleuqiR

Doopliss said:
zskfh4.jpg

I don't understand this screenshot. On the Galaxy Nexus there is never any menu button, right? Meaning all functionality has to be available without one. So, on older devices that get ICS, instead of having the menu button bring up a superfluous menu why not just have it function as the multitasking button?

Long press Home has always been the "multitasking" button.

Doopliss

Husker86 said:
Because older apps still use it. Appears on HC devices when necessary.
Has there been anything to suggest that this will happen on the Galaxy Nexus? There's no space for it next to the 'capacitive buttons', unless they shift them all over which would be a pretty poor piece of usability design. In every image I've seen it's always the same three in the same place (except when they're hidden for fullscreen).

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
gcubed said:
did they test it yet? From some leaked tests, its not all that impressive. They are still behind the curve
That's a good question, last I heard about it, it had a fifth core, underclocked, which sounded like a great idea. But if it performs balls.... Sigh.

Doopliss said:
Has there been anything to suggest that this will happen on the Galaxy Nexus? There's no space for it next to the 'capacitive buttons', unless they shift them all over which would be a pretty poor piece of usability design. In every image I've seen it's always the same three in the same place (except when they're hidden for fullscreen).
Something's going to have to happen, some older apps from the marketplace will require the menu button and Android is always backwards compatible.

kehs

Banned
Don't worry guys, I'm working on a "What Happens to Older Phones and Buttons with ICS? |OT|", should be up soon.

Cyrillus

Doopliss said:
In Honeycomb currently, if an app uses the menu button, it appears in the upper-right corner of the screen, like so:

SimleuqiR

Cyrillus said:
In Honeycomb currently, if an app uses the menu button, it appears in the upper-right corner of the screen, like so:

On none tablet optimized apps it appears on the right of the multitasking software button.

JoeFu

Banned
Copernicus said:
Don't worry guys, I'm working on a "What Happens to Older Phones and Buttons with ICS? |OT|", should be up soon.
We're gonna need a swipe left and right to read emails |OT|also I think

Maybe an instantaneous voice to text |OT|and maybe even a voice action one because no one knows about it

Circle T

I have a question for those of you messing with the ICS SDK. I'm assuming that in order to get the "Tablet" interface, you just set the display resolution to a certain size, and the OS just adjusts itself, right? So, if you set it to 1280x800, like a Xoom or GTab have, it will show the tablet version, right? Can you toggle it back and forth, from phone to tablet? Is there a way to have that resolution set, but get the phone interface?

The reason I'm asking is because of the Galaxy Note. It is being pitched as basically just a really big phone, yet it has a 1280x800 resolution, like all the current tablets do. Will you end up with the tablet interface on that device because of that?

kehs

Banned
Circle T said:
I have a question for those of you messing with the ICS SDK. I'm assuming that in order to get the "Tablet" interface, you just set the display resolution to a certain size, and the OS just adjusts itself, right? So, if you set it to 1280x800, like a Xoom or GTab have, it will show the tablet version, right? Can you toggle it back and forth, from phone to tablet? Is there a way to have that resolution set, but get the phone interface?

The reason I'm asking is because of the Galaxy Note. It is being pitched as basically just a really big phone, yet it has a 1280x800 resolution, like all the current tablets do. Will you end up with the tablet interface on that device because of that?

I'm not messing with the SDK, but there's two parts to setting a display.

Pixel Dimensions, and size category.

So

1280x720/Normal (Nexus Prime) size screen will display a different layout than 1280x800/XL Screen(Xoom)

andycapps

Anybody have any problems with the most recent Netflix update breaking video? Audio works fine, interface is faster and better, but no video. See a lot of comments on the market with the same issue. EVO 4G on MIUI latest version. I cleared app data and reinstalled and have same issue.

Pein

Banned
andycapps said:
Anybody have any problems with the most recent Netflix update breaking video? Audio works fine, interface is faster and better, but no video. See a lot of comments on the market with the same issue. EVO 4G on MIUI latest version. I cleared app data and reinstalled and have same issue.
I've been having issue with netflix on my phone and PS3 since I updated.

Circle T

Copernicus said:
I'm not messing with the SDK, but there's two parts to setting a display.

Pixel Dimensions, and size category.

So

1280x720/Normal (Nexus Prime) size screen will display a different layout than 1280x800/XL Screen(Xoom)
So, if I understand that correctly, you could then set it to 1280x800 resolution, but then set it to "Normal" size, and get the normal phone interface? The "Phone" interface would obviously be preferred on the Note.

Ocho

A question for Tasker users:

I recently bought the app and I'm trying to find the state: cell near but, for whatever reason (even though the help files tell me use it so), I can't find it. I'm stuck using location with net. Was this removed? Using the version located in the Android market.

EDIT: Found it

kehs

Banned
Circle T said:
So, if I understand that correctly, you could then set it to 1280x800 resolution, but then set it to "Normal" size, and get the normal phone interface? The "Phone" interface would obviously be preferred on the Note.

Correct. The device identifies itself to the app, and the app resolves the proper assets and layouts.

If you want to geek out, here's some info from developers blog:

http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html

optimiss

Circle T said:
Yeah it is based on physical screen size. If you tell it the device has a 10“ screen you get the tablet interface. I'm not sure what the cutoff bewteen phone or tablet interface is. My guess would be around 6 inches.

Barrett2

I have an Infuse on ATT. At this point I have to assume it's just not going to get any updates?

I guess im' boned. I think i'll look into selling it and getting something else. Anything good on the horizon for new ATT hardware?

Circle T

Copernicus said:
Correct. The device identifies itself to the app, and the app resolves the proper assets and layouts.
optimiss said:
Yeah it is based on physical screen size. If you tell it the device has a 10“ screen you get the tablet interface. I'm not sure what the cutoff bewteen phone or tablet interface is. My guess would be around 6 inches.
Thanks guys. I figured it was something like that, but just wasn't sure how it was handled.

lawblob said:
I have an Infuse on ATT. At this point I have to assume it's just not going to get any updates?

I guess im' boned. I think i'll look into selling it and getting something else. Anything good on the horizon for new ATT hardware?
There have been leaked builds of Gingerbread for a few months now, and AT&T have said that all their 2011 devices would get it. So, I don't think you are totally boned, but I have no timeframe for when an OTA will be available.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
HTC Sensation--er, Incredible--uh, Rezound pictured:

TsEQT.jpg

The HTC Rezound has been spoiled ahead of its launch with the official HTC cases for the device showing the new smartphone itself. The official HTC photos of the cases come ahead of the official press shots. The new smartphone, also known as the HTC Vigor, is expected to be formally launched on November 10.

When it arrives, the HTC Rezound expected to be powered by a dual-core 1.5GHz processor matched with at least 1GB of RAM. It is said to center on a 720p-capable display with a resolution of 1280x720. The device is also said to come with 16GB of memory on board, but also with its 32GB microSD card slot already pre-loaded for a total of 48GB of memory.

Further, as with HTC’s recent high-end smartphones, the Rezound will have Beats by Dr. Dre sound processing and earbuds.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/10/20/htc.rezound.appears.in.official.case.shots/

andycapps

lawblob said:

Are you interested in rooting your phone? If so, you can always have the most up to date version sooner than any manufacturer or carrier will put it out. Heck, I might get ICS on my EVO before the Nexus S gets it.

Menelaus

Banned
XMonkey said:
Why would you do that?? Just reboot your phone. No need to pull the battery like a Blackberry.
Hard locks that make the phone unresponsive to button presses but still powered on. It's more common than you think!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The Rezound seems pretty nice. What size is that screen? Curious to see if anyone has crammed 720p into something a touch smaller.

Cipherr

dIEHARD said:
Can that Rezound please not have a GPU from 3 years ago?

Let's be fair to the PowerVR SGX540. There really isn't any single mobile GPU better than it, even 4 years after it's launch. The ARM Mali 400 used in Galaxy S II and the Qualcomm Adreno 220 in recent Snapdragon devices still aren't able to surpass the SGX540. The only things really better are the SGX543MP2, a dual-GPU version of SGX540 used in iPad 2 and iPhone 4S, and the SGX543MP4+, the quad-GPU version used in Playstation Vita.

I would have gladly taken an SGX543MP2 in my Galaxy Nexus, same as iPhone 4S. The fact that Sony seems happy to put the SGX543MP4+ in Vita and that machine is giving PS3-quality graphics in a handheld should give you an idea of how powerful the fundamental SGX540 GPU actually is. It's just that one isn't enough anymore, you need at least 2 or 4!

diehard

Fleer
Unknown Soldier said:
The ARM Mali 400 used in Galaxy S II and the Qualcomm Adreno 220 in recent Snapdragon devices still aren't able to surpass the SGX540.
Eh? everything i have seen says this isnt the case.

Unknown Soldier said:
Let's be fair to the PowerVR SGX540. There really isn't any single mobile GPU better than it, even 4 years after it's launch. The ARM Mali 400 used in Galaxy S II and the Qualcomm Adreno 220 in recent Snapdragon devices still aren't able to surpass the SGX540. The only things really better are the SGX543MP2, a dual-GPU version of SGX540 used in iPad 2 and iPhone 4S, and the SGX543MP4+, the quad-GPU version used in Playstation Vita.

I would have gladly taken an SGX543MP2 in my Galaxy Nexus, same as iPhone 4S. The fact that Sony seems happy to put the SGX543MP4+ in Vita and that machine is giving PS3-quality graphics in a handheld should give you an idea of how powerful the fundamental SGX540 GPU actually is. It's just that one isn't enough anymore, you need at least 2 or 4!
hey now, let's not throw the ARM Mali-400 under any buses with the Adreno 220

LCZjg.gif

jkOTM.gif

and for those of you HTC lovers waiting for 2012, i present to you, Qualcomm's Adreno 225 plans!

UrhDk.jpg

gcubed

The Faceless Master said:
no, Adreno 220 is new, the problem is it's not goof.

the problem #2 is HTC

for example, the HTC Amaze and Samsung Galaxy S II on T-Mobile are both suffering with QUALCOMM... and yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7UBdVxpJLA

i thought we were all implying the performance age?

Thanks for that link, thats interesting. I've had the opportunity to use sense devices and for all the love it gets here, its my least favorite skin that i've used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom