• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Jtwo said:
I just got a call. I answered it and then the slider disappeared but the phone remained on the "this dude is calling" screen. And it kept vibrating. Then it just locked up and kept on vibrating for about 45 seconds. So I pull the battery and after failing to boot twice it boots up and I have a text message asking me whats going on because it sounds like a manatee screaming.

lolwat
Part of me never wants you to get a new phone. A large part of me.

So gaf, I have just discovered some dead spots on my galaxy s 2 screen. Luckily a reset seems to have fixed the issue. Is this common in android phones or should I be worried there is an underlying hardware issue rather than a software one? It had only been a few days since I fully turned off the phone before this.

3phemeral

Gamer @ Heart said:
So gaf, I have just discovered some dead spots on my galaxy s 2 screen. Luckily a reset seems to have fixed the issue. Is this common in android phones or should I be worried there is an underlying hardware issue rather than a software one? It had only been a few days since I fully turned off the phone before this.
Dead spots as in dead pixels? If pixels, then it's hardware. And those can't be fixed by a reset. If it's the other, I'm not sure what you could mean. Dead pixels aren't an Android-specific problem.

Weird, have just been prompted to re-accept terms and conditions when signing into the Android Market.

Clicked accept and now I have access to Books and Movie Rentals?!? UK-Gaf, am guessing this has been available in the US for a while?

Running unlocked Galaxy S2 on O2 if it makes any difference.

Anyone other UK Gaffers got the same?

Adamm

prettyvacant77 said:
Weird, have just been prompted to re-accept terms and conditions when signing into the Android Market.

Clicked accept and now I have access to Books and Movie Rentals?!? UK-Gaf, am guessing this has been available in the US for a while?

Running unlocked Galaxy S2 on O2 if it makes any difference.

Yeah mine updated a few weeks back on my Nexus one

Even stranger, my fiancee has just setup her new Galaxy S2 but she's got an older version of the Market app.

Is there a way to force it to update itself to the latest version? Don't think I remember every getting an update to the Market app itself, I thought it was pushed down by Google...

Any ideas?

Sh1ner

prettyvacant77 said:
Even stranger, my fiancee has just setup her new Galaxy S2 but she's got an older version of the Market app.

Is there a way to force it to update itself to the latest version? Don't think I remember every getting an update to the Market app itself, I thought it was pushed down by Google...

Any ideas?

Its an app you can download a new version from XDA devolopers, email it to her and she can install it directly from her gmail account if she has install from non market sources (or something) in settings ticked.

Pctx

Banned
icslawnstatue-4ea0d38-intro-thumb-640xauto-26839.jpg

Snip:
Google's Android 4.0 operating system, better known by its tasty nickname "Ice Cream Sandwich ,"or ICS, is far from a mere mobile OS update. Ice Cream Sandwich is a complete OS overhaul that includes tweaks ranging from the geekily esoteric (widget resizing!) to the most surface-level of interface improvements (think "shinier," care of faux-polished surfacing effects). It's also destined for both Android smartphones and tablets, unifying Google's mobile OS platforms for the first time.

Link: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/10/a-deep-dive-tour-of-ice-cream-sandwich-with-androids-chief-engineer.ars/1

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
prettyvacant77 said:

[...]

I have apps, games, books. No movie rentals, though. :( CyanogenMod 7 on HTC Desire, O2.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
iapetus said:
I have apps, games, books. No movie rentals, though. :( CyanogenMod 7 on HTC Desire, O2.

I have Apps, Games and Books but im also getting ads for movies like Hanna on the home page.

Edit: Films just showed up!

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
im pretty much sold on the GN. only one thing puts me off... i'm still in love with my droid 1's hardware keyboard. i use it 90% of the time when typing.

any droid 4 rumors? droid 3 was cool, but no 4G and ICS.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I can't afford a new phone and a tablet, so I am sticking to the tablet. I have Galaxy S Vibrant, and it still does the trick - hopefully we get an ICS port for it within the year!

But in terms of tablet - I am really getting into the idea of getting a Transformer 2 - I want to replace my extremely dated and crappy netbook (I won it) with something a bit more quick. I do all my school note-taking via google docs, so a transformer w/ a keyboard sounds like it would be an amazing replacement. Plus it gives me a tablet - I'm currently in the process of learning how to develop for android, so it would be a great learning tool as well. It's a bit of an expense, but I figure selling my old netbook for like... 80 bucks will shave some dollars off the price.

iapetus said:
Likewise for me, since my last post. Nothing I'd pay £2.50 for by the looks of it, though.

Do you guys call your money quid? I've always wanted to call my money quid.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
iapetus said:
Likewise for me, since my last post. Nothing I'd pay £2.50 for by the looks of it, though.

Yeah, but its nice to have the option. Even if i probably wont ever use it.

daoster

Man, I love Android, but with my Incredible starting to crash every time I use a browser or a Google Apps, it is seriously pissing me off.

ARRGGGH. I hope this shit won't follow me on to Galaxy Nexus =\

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That ARS article is great. Everyone should read it!

3pheMeraLmiX said:
Dead spots as in dead pixels? If pixels, then it's hardware. And those can't be fixed by a reset. If it's the other, I'm not sure what you could mean. Dead pixels aren't an Android-specific problem.
Not pixels, small areas of the screen with no response. Turning it off and on again got rid of it.

Ocho

prettyvacant77 said:

Any ideas?

I had to update to 2.3.4 to get the new market on my SG2 International. Strangely it took a little while after update to get the new version. Perhaps some update happened while I wasn't looking.

Blackhead

Redarse
Has Samsung announced anything new about the Galaxy Note? If Note was certain to come with ICS, I'd wait for it.

p.s. Is it possible to turn off text reflow in the Android browser?

gcubed

andycapps said:
Haha I thought it was something more serious like a hardware malfunction. I figured they wouldn't work, would be nice if they'd fix this though.

yeah, as husker said, its forced. You can't play back a purchased movie on a rooted device. Not a bug.

But they do allow you to purchase it. So that was the warning :)

andycapps

gcubed said:
yeah, as husker said, its forced. You can't play back a purchased movie on a rooted device. Not a bug.

But they do allow you to purchase it. So that was the warning :)

When I say fix, I mean I wish that they'd allow it. They know a large, though still a minority, percentage of their userbase roots their phones and would like to buy something on a whim. If Amazon starts movie rentals on Android phones and allows them on rooted phones, maybe this policy would change.

gcubed

andycapps said:
When I say fix, I mean I wish that they'd allow it. They know a large, though still a minority, percentage of their userbase roots their phones and would like to buy something on a whim. If Amazon starts movie rentals on Android phones and allows them on rooted phones, maybe this policy would change.

it could, but doubtful. I'd rather see them disable the ability to purchase the movie on the device as i think that would be more likely. This way someone doesn't find out after burning 5 bucks

its interesting to see the Android market slowly turn into iTunes. Soon we'll see in commercials the phrase, "Now available on iTunes and the Android Market"

gcubed

sooperkool said:
its interesting to see the Android market slowly turn into iTunes. Soon we'll see in commercials the phrase, "Now available on iTunes and the Android Market"

i see the android market logo right next to itunes in some commercials already.

Tek

Well they switched our company phones from Palm Pre 2s to Galaxy S 2s

Other than having android on my touchpad, I've never had this OS...

What are some apps to get, any cool stuff about my phone that maybe I don't know about?

It has the most cheap plastic backing ever...I was pretty amazed at that. Will ICS come to this phone? I use AT&T

Why do they name their OSs after food? Are they hungry? I'm always hungry when I think of ICS.

Why can't I edit my facebook friends to include their numbers? If they failed to put their number on their profile, I can't go into my contacts to edit it.

My workaround was to remove the fb sync and add my contacts manually then sync back to facebook.

Also what is a good place to get accessories? Cases, screen protectors?

Blackhead

Redarse
Tek said:
Well they switched our company phones from Palm Pre 2s to Galaxy S 2s

Other than having android on my touchpad, I've never had this OS...

What are some apps to get, any cool stuff about my phone that maybe I don't know about?

It has the most cheap plastic backing ever...I was pretty amazed at that. Will ICS come to this phone? I use AT&T

Why do they name their OSs after food? Are they hungry? I'm always hungry when I think of ICS.

Why can't I edit my facebook friends to include their numbers? If they failed to put their number on their profile, I can't go into my contacts to edit it.

My workaround was to remove the fb sync and add my contacts manually then sync back to facebook.

Also what is a good place to get accessories? Cases, screen protectors?
0_o how did that happen? Is the person(s) responsible still working for the company?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Copernicus said:
Hey bboy aj, how much did you end up getting for you N1 on ebay?
Sold it on Amazon. ... $270. Yeah, no shit. $270. Pretty good.

It was like new in box, everything included. Also it just came back from HTC repaired so it was 10/10 condition. Regardless, I still think I made out like a bandit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom