• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Faceless Master said:
hey now, let's not throw the ARM Mali-400 under any buses with the Adreno 220

LCZjg.gif

jkOTM.gif

and for those of you HTC lovers waiting for 2012, i present to you, Qualcomm's Adreno 225 plans!

UrhDk.jpg

What is the clockspeed on the various SGX 540s in those tests? The SGX540 in Galaxy Nexus is clocked at 384mhz (same as Droid RAZR). Older SGX540 were clocked at 200mhz. When you nearly double the clockspeed you get, well, nearly double the performance.

Also, ROFL@Qualcomm. I guess maybe AMD weren't stupid when they sold the Imageon assets to Qualcomm, who turned that into Adreno.

giga

Unknown Soldier said:
What is the clockspeed on the various SGX 540s in those tests? The SGX540 in Galaxy Nexus is clocked at 384mhz (same as Droid RAZR). Older SGX540 were clocked at 200mhz. When you nearly double the clockspeed you get, well, nearly double the performance.

Also, ROFL@Qualcomm. I guess maybe AMD weren't stupid when they sold the Imageon assets to Qualcomm, who turned that into Adreno.
The OMAP 4430 (Optimus 3D, Droid Bionic) has the 540 clocked at 304 MHz. So a 26% increase.

Unknown Soldier said:

200MHz in most and 300MHz in the LG Optimus 3D

I wonder if you'll ever be able to overclock the GPUs in phones. It sure would be nice, you could increase the GPU clock for the Android versions of Infinity Blade and Rage. Wait. Nevermind.
Fuck you Epic and Id!

The 4460's CPUs in Droid RAZR and Galaxy Nexus are underclocked from 1.5ghz to 1.2ghz, you should be able to restore the original speed bin without anything happening other than the phone going faster. People have been hitting 1.7 and 1.8ghz on GSII phones, but that's with Exynos instead of OMAP. My Touchpad hit 1.8ghz, I hope my Galaxy Nexus can too!

gcubed said:
i thought we were all implying the performance age?

Thanks for that link, thats interesting. I've had the opportunity to use sense devices and for all the love it gets here, its my least favorite skin that i've used.
in that case, you should have said 7 years old!

kehs

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
I wonder if you'll ever be able to overclock the GPUs in phones. It sure would be nice, you could increase the GPU clock for the Android versions of Infinity Blade and Rage. Wait. Nevermind.
Fuck you Epic and Id!

The 4460's CPUs in Droid RAZR and Galaxy Nexus are underclocked from 1.5ghz to 1.2ghz, you should be able to restore the original speed bin without anything happening other than the phone going faster. People have been hitting 1.7 and 1.8ghz on GSII phones, but that's with Exynos instead of OMAP. My Touchpad hit 1.8ghz, I hope my Galaxy Nexus can too!

You definitely can't overclock the snapdragons gpu, some dude on xda that has technical documents already disproved it.

Doopliss

Unknown Soldier said:
Fuck you Epic and Id!

The GS2's Mali is overclockable, the problem is it can only be set to divisors of 800. The stock speed is 200mhz (i.e. 800/4) idle and 267mhz (800/3) under load. So the next setting up is 400mhz (800/2), which is too high to be stable.

Husker86

icarus-daedelus said:
So I am new to this 'smart' phone thing and not so technically proficient; can anybody tell me when and why the YT app got so assy?

On what phone? I love the YouTube app on both my Thunderbolt and Galaxy Tab. What problems are you having with it?

krzy123

There was a thread on this chip, but this article details how it was designed for android in mind.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news...a7-is-tailor-made-for-android-superphones.ars

The A7's design improvements over the older A8 core are possible because ARM has had the past three years to carefully study how the Android OS uses existing ARM chips in the course of normal usage. Peter Greenhalgh, the chip architect behind the A7's design, told me that his team did detailed profiling in order to learn exactly how different apps and parts of the Android OS stress the CPU, with the result that the team could design the A7 to fit the needs and characteristics of real-world smartphones.

Husker86

So every single smartphone CPU is based off of ARM architecture, right? How has Intel not broken into this field? I understand ARM doesn't actually make the chips, but I'm still confused.

kehs

Banned
Husker86 said:
So every single smartphone CPU is based off of ARM architecture, right? How has Intel not broken into this field? I understand ARM doesn't actually make the chips, but I'm still confused.

It's harder for a company like Intel to just shift because they're pretty vertical.

They got caught out.

Since I don't play games on my phone, I really don't care that the Adreno is ass compared to the rest of the GPUs out there. The 28 nm fabrication is far more important to me than raw performance numbers. I'm pretty sure very other GPU is at 54.

Husker86 said:

Intel's been talking for years about scaling Atom down to a reasonable power draw for a phone, but nothing's happened yet. They did help getting Android ported to x86, though.

krzy123

Husker86 said:

Intel use to make StrongARM/Xscale chips that powered PDAs back in the day (still used ARM cores though), they sold that off to Marvell.

gcubed

so rumor has it that google music store wlil be revealed soon and it may contain a "Sharing" feature for your bought music to share with other google music friends for a predetermined time (24 hours or x plays)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Kinitari said:
Transformer 2 might be where I finally jump in on a tablet. I want a tablet I can sort of use as a netbook - but I also want an ACTUAL tablet.

Tegra 3 sold me on it.

Me too. ICS and Tegra 3 has me sold.

kehs

Banned
Post on G+ to share a song, embedded, or if on mobile it loads up Google Music and plays it through there.

That'd be baller

Husker86

gcubed said:
so rumor has it that google music store wlil be revealed soon and it may contain a "Sharing" feature for your bought music to share with other google music friends for a predetermined time (24 hours or x plays)
They need the store, those features will be cool too. I wonder if there will ever be syncing with Google Music (without having to choose to download to phone). I'd kinda like that option as having music on my phone is ideal. Plus if I were to purchase something from their store I think it would be cumbersome to have to transfer that song to my phone and then let it upload to Google Music.

Husker86 said:
They need the store, those features will be cool too. I wonder if there will ever be syncing with Google Music (without having to choose to download to phone). I'd kinda like that option as having music on my phone is ideal. Plus if I were to purchase something from their store I think it would be cumbersome to have to transfer that song to my phone and then let it upload to Google Music.
it'd probably be like Amazon MP3 purchases, where anything you buy is automatically added to Google Music.

then again... Google.

gcubed

Husker86 said:

this was on business insider via androidandme.

Also supposedly Music won't cache your music on your phone anymore unless you specifically ask it to.

kehs

Banned
The initial Google Music APK that leaked before they even acknowledged google music had the capabilities to upload music directly from the phone.

E: This is not what anyone is talking about here, wow. read moran.

Husker86

gcubed said:
this was on business insider via androidandme.

Also supposedly Music won't cache your music on your phone anymore unless you specifically ask it to.

That's cool. I just think the option to have it download all the music to your phone would be nice as well.

I appreciate it's probably been asked, but does anyone have a suggestion for which browser is best? I saw one in particular mentioned in another thread but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

Psychotext said:
I appreciate it's probably been asked, but does anyone have a suggestion for which browser is best? I saw one in particular mentioned in another thread but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

I've been floating between the stock and Dolphin. I think Dolphin is one of the better ones, anyway.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Psychotext said:

Dolphin HD is pretty good and has a lot of options but its gotten really bloated and a bit slow. Heard good things about Opera mobile however.

rabhw

Psychotext said:

I'd been using Dolphin for a while without much thought. Loved the gestures and the speed over the stock browser. Then I tried Opera and I could never go back. At least on my Nexus One, both browsing and scrolling speed is significantly faster, especially scrolling.

Husker86

Psychotext said:

Opera Mobile is what I use now after trying a few.

The only thing I don't like is it doesn't seem to have Android User Agent because it's Google search format is crappy. I've tried to change the User Agent but it doesn't stick. I love the layout of Google search in the stock HTC browser. If I could get that sorted on Opera it would be amazing.

Scrolling is super smooth.

Psychotext said:

I use stock browser most of the time, though Opera comes a close second (especially for posting on secondapps/neogaf)

daoster

Psychotext said:
I'm using Miren, and personally...I think its the best

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I just got a call. I answered it and then the slider disappeared but the phone remained on the "this dude is calling" screen. And it kept vibrating. Then it just locked up and kept on vibrating for about 45 seconds. So I pull the battery and after failing to boot twice it boots up and I have a text message asking me whats going on because it sounds like a manatee screaming.

lolwat

Husker86

Jtwo said:
I just got a call. I answered it and then the slider disappeared but the phone remained on the "this dude is calling" screen. And it kept vibrating. Then it just locked up and kept on vibrating for about 45 seconds. So I pull the battery and after failing to boot twice it boots up and I have a text message asking me whats going on because it sounds like a manatee screaming.

lolwat
It was Gigi trying to tell you're friend you're having trouble.

Meet Gigi, you're Google Personal Assistant.

Gigi needs speech lessons.

thespot84

Jtwo said:

lolwat
Still on OG, droid? I and this is tthe first time this ever happened to you? 1/5 calls this happens to me.

gcubed

Jtwo said:

lolwat

you've needed a new phone for 6 months.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
thespot84 said:
Still on OG, droid? I and this is tthe first time this ever happened to you? 1/5 calls this happens to me.

I had that problem frequently on my old Droid, too. It definitely wasn't as bad as 1/5 calls, but it happened fairly often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom