• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

Divvy said:
This is the one that I use on my thinkpad: Works amazingly well with the stylus. I don't think it has handwriting recognition since I haven't needed to use it.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.writepad&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS53cml0ZXBhZCJd
What is this...I don't even

X9GR3.png

Xoom WiFi 3.2.1

I'm looking for two apps:

First, an app that'll cause my calendar notifications to appear as a pop-up on the screen.

The second, something that'll link my google contacts to a facebook account and update pictures based on that.

Anyone know of the best options, if they exist?

SimleuqiR

Steriletom said:

First, an app that'll cause my calendar notifications to appear as a pop-up on the screen.

The second, something that'll link my google contacts to a facebook account and update pictures based on that.

SyncMyPix for FB pictures

Why doesn't every phone with the Broadcom 4430 support bluetooth 4.0 HS?

I see on broadcom's website that it supports bluetooth 4.0, but the GSII and the G-Nex only support Bluetooth 3.0.

I've been seeing this a lot lately. Does it have to do with drivers or has the standard not been finalized? I mean i'm sure it does, but why don't they just write drivers for the new standard.

Cudder

Steriletom said:

Doesnt the stock Calendar do that? You can set multiple reminders for an event in your calendar.

tfur

Anybody here have any LTE speed results from SpeedTest, or just general experience with it? I live in a fully LTE city, but I am not sure how well it really works.

masud

Banned
tfur said:
Anybody here have any LTE speed results from SpeedTest, or just general experience with it? I live in a fully LTE city, but I am not sure how well it really works.
I usually get 10-20 mbps

Circle T

tfur said:
Here is my laptop tethered to my Droid Charge. This pretty average. Sometimes I'll get 25-28mbps down, sometimes 12-15. Upload is a bit high, but not much, as I usually see around 6-8mbps up....

PS - I'm in Omaha, so i'm well over 50mi away from Chicago, contrary to what SpeedTest thinks.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
K, so lte makes me uncomfortable. Don't know why. It just does.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone who thinks Pentile is okay or acceptable has no eye for quality. It's a poor substitute. I can spot it a mile away.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Bboy AJ said:
Anyone who thinks Pentile is okay or acceptable has no eye for quality. It's a poor substitute. I can spot it a mile away.

Its the one major downside of the phone besides it running Android, IMO. Still hyped as shit though.

giga

Definitely noticed it in the two closeups. Don't know how noticeable it is at 10" away though.

SJvxS.png

Comparison to the 4's status bar.

4TEXT2.jpg

Circle T

VanWinkle

giga said:
Definitely noticed it in the two closeups. Don't know how noticeable it is at 10" away though.

http://i.imgur.com/SJvxS.png[/IMG

[IMG]http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/gadgets/apple/iPhone4/4TEXT2.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

But the camera is WAY closer in the Nexus picture.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
VanWinkle said:
But the camera is WAY closer in the Nexus picture.
Right but the point is its actually a noticeable thing. There's been a lot of us waxing poetically about this screen lately and it looks to be the same tired pentile affair when viewed up close.

Not enough to put me off the train, but definitely something po tential purchasers should consider.

VanWinkle

Jtwo said:
Right but the point is its actually a noticeable thing. There's been a lot of us waxing poetically about this screen lately and it looks to be the same tired pentile affair when viewed up close.

Not enough to put me off the train, but definitely something po tential purchasers should[/] consider

I haven't used a phone with a pentile screen. Is it noticeable from a foot or more away? And aren't some screens better at handling the pentile layout than others?

Circle T

VanWinkle said:
I haven't used a phone with a pentile screen. Is it noticeable from a foot or more away? And aren't some screens better at handling the pentile layout than others?
Apparently I have "No eye for quality", but I have to hold my Captivate quite close to my face to notice it. Given the basically 50% increase in pixel density over the Captivate, and judging by that extreme close up of that image, I'm betting I never notice it on the G-Nex, personally.

Jtwo said:

Not enough to put me off the train, but definitely something po tential purchasers should consider.

Thanks for the heads up.

I will be sure not to place my phone directly in front of my pupils, for fear of the jagged text cutting them.

Your mileage my vary. If I put my Nexus One to my face (like the close up), I see it clear as day. At normal usage length? Not so much.

Styles

I remember reading somewhere that AMOLED screens needed more space to fit in a full rgb matrix, that's why the gsii's screen size was bigger. They would have to increase the size even more with the higher resolution, so the only route to go was pentile (correct me if I'm wrong). It will hopefully improve in time.

rozay

Banned
VanWinkle said:
Its very easy to notice it with white text on a black background or specific colors. Unnoticable in pictures or movies

nib95

Banned
giga said:

SJvxS.png

4TEXT2.jpg

Not debating the 4S isn't sharper. But it's hard to tell from that as the 4S shot is further away. Anyone have a proper close up of the 4S's battery or signal bar?

What are the best mid-range phones for t-mobile?

I'm looking at the Nexus S, Samsung Vibrant, G2 and another. I want the best battery life and speed. Sounds like the Vibrant is the best out of these. (I'm going to buy a midrange for now and then get the updated version of the samsung note later)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, coming from the OGD the first thing I notice at the Nexus S display is how weird the text looks.

But, different phone and different screen. From what I've heard the GN is supposed to be one of- if not the best screen available.

Anyone know to punctuate that last sentence? Always wondered.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So, what are the benefits of AMOLED and Super AMOLED?

I played around with an Android phone (forgot exactly which one) in the Verizon shop on the day I picked up my 4S, and it had that nasty pentile effect shown in the close up of the Galaxy Next. It was extremely noticeable on that particular phone even from a distance, and really looked quite hideous.

pr0cs

foodtaster said:

I'm looking at the Nexus S, Samsung Vibrant, G2 and another. I want the best battery life and speed. Sounds like the Vibrant is the best out of these. (I'm going to buy a midrange for now and then get the updated version of the samsung note later)
I have a Vibrant (i9000) and my wife has a Nexus S. While I like having the option of using an external microsd card slot (on my i9000) I would trade it in a second for the flexibility of the Nexus S.
But then, I like to tinker and trying a lot of different roms which the Nexus S (and any of the certified google phones) excels at.
On paper the NexusS and Vibrant are pretty comparable phones but if you like to dick around and tinker and having a lot of options around tweaking your phone then a google phone is the way to go.

pr0cs said:
I have a Vibrant (i9000) and my wife has a Nexus S. While I like having the option of using an external microsd card slot (on my i9000) I would trade it in a second for the flexibility of the Nexus S.
But then, I like to tinker and trying a lot of different roms which the Nexus S (and any of the certified google phones) excels at.
On paper the NexusS and Vibrant are pretty comparable phones but if you like to dick around and tinker and having a lot of options around tweaking your phone then a google phone is the way to go.
how's the battery life? get through a moderate-heavy 12hr day?

MooMoo

Jtwo said:
Personally, coming from the OGD the first thing I notice at the Nexus S display is how weird the text looks.

But, different phone and different screen. From what I've heard the GN is supposed to be one of- if not the best screen available.

Anyone know to punctuate that last sentence? Always wondered.
I guess you could do it like: From what I've heard, the GN is supposed to be one of, if not the, best screens available. I think it would be better to say: From what I've heard, the GN is supposed to be one of the best screens available, if not the best (screen available). Although the former definitely sounds better. That's my take on it, but I'm not some crazy English major or anything heh.

Anyways, I'm not too keen on the phone world, so what are the chances of the Galaxy Nexus coming to ATT? Been eligible for a new phone upgrade and I sort of want to try something outside of iOS. Sorry if this has been discussed/asked to death, haven't really had the time to dig through posts >.<

foodtaster said:

g2 out of them. youll be able to get t mobile 4g with and its a great phone overal. I love mine.

giga

nib95 said:
Tbh, you can definitely still see the pixels at this macro level, and it's still not even as close.
It's not about seeing the pixels (at 300+ ppi, you won't at a regular distance) but about the arrangement of them and the fact that 1 subpixel is missing. It gives a somewhat grainy look to some elements.

i swear we went over this before in either this thread or the ( thread and several websites confirmed that it is pentile but you can only notice that with the aid of some sort of magnification due to the pixel density.

Bboy AJ said:

Can you also tell the difference between an iPad and a Galaxy Tab from a mile away?

RayStorm

The Faceless Master said:
i swear we went over this before in either this thread or the ( thread and several websites confirmed that it is pentile but you can only notice that with the aid of some sort of magnification due to the pixel density.

As far as I'm aware those comparison shots showed text at the same size though. But if I was to really use a high res screen to its full advantage I'd actually make the text displayed smaller which in turn wouldn't work so well with pentile, right?

That's at least my issue with it.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Pentile was expected, why is this news. You'd be pretty optimistic to think it would be true RGB at that size.

Also, 315ppi. I think it's safe to say you can't compare that to any Pentile AMOLED (or even the Plus).

kehs

Banned
Bboy AJ said:
Someone call park services, there's an eagle loose on gaf.

gcubed

The Faceless Master said:

i think we have that playing out in this thread currently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom