• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

100-Crop-Text.jpg

That should pretty much end that whole conversation right? Apples to Apples comparison of the GN and other phones without Pentile Screens. Same distances etc. Decide on your own.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nuts to Pentile.

I am not enjoying the UI of my iPhone right now. I'm dealing with rows of apps I have no idea how to organize. I just use spotlight. And I do remember how much I miss playing games in short bursts on my phone, though. Oh how I missed it.

When I get my GN, if I can't see the Pentile, I'll eat my hat.

kehs

Banned
Cipherr said:
100-Crop-Text.jpg

That should pretty much end that whole conversation right? Apples to Apples comparison of the GN and other phones without Pentile Screens. Same distances etc. Decide on your own.
This is what rape must feel like.

tino

Banned
Cipherr said:
100-Crop-Text.jpg

I have been saying it for a long time Galaxy Note is the KING OF SMARTPHONE 2012.

PenTile means I'm going to go into a Verizon store and look at the phone myself before I decide to buy it or not. The only other PenTile display I've looked at for any length of time was a friend's Droid Incredible, and it was incredibly noticeable on that phone.

If super-high PPI can mask PenTile, that's great. But I'll only believe it when I see it, which means I'm not going to pre-order the Galaxy Tuna and I most certainly won't buy it if I can see the PenTile matrix. Fuck that noise. PenTile is shit. Period.

Zaptruder

Banned
sableholic said:
pretty sure it means even zoomed in you can barely tell the difference.

Nah... I think it means that the pixel structure of the Note will automatically reduce aliasing greatly.

Seems like a winner.

nib95

Banned
Wow I never knew what the Note was until now. Any reviews or benchmarks of it yet? Speed comparisons with the S2 or Nexus Galaxy? Seriously interested, though worried about battery life and obviously...size lol. But that stylus is pimp!

and remember folks, the Galaxy Nexus has a higher pixel density than the Galaxy Note!

RayStorm said:
As far as I'm aware those comparison shots showed text at the same size though. But if I was to really use a high res screen to its full advantage I'd actually make the text displayed smaller which in turn wouldn't work so well with pentile, right?

That's at least my issue with it.
people don't have readability issues, some just don't like the text looking a bit jagged instead of smooth. the RGRB Pentile in the Super AMOLED looks a lot better than the RGBW Pentile used in other manufacturers LCD screens.

Cipherr

That article can be found at:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...D---is-the-PenTile-matrix-bad-for-you_id23134

They tested everything. Text at smaller sizes, everything.

To save you the suspense we want to state clearly that at no point while using the 800x1280 pixels 5.3" screen on the Galaxy Note could we see any jaggies or the pattern of the pixels arrangement - even on individual letters at full zoom at the closest possible distance to our eyes we couldn't discern anything, let alone in normal use. Cold colors making white appear blueish ever since the Super AMOLED on the first Galaxy S - yes, that exists even in the new HD Super AMOLED , but details were the clearest we've seen on any AMOLED to date.

Pentile honestly, should not have ever been used at low pixel densities. It seems to be fine at high pixel densities, but breaks down when used on low ppi displays. Scales up well though. Could use better white levels though compared to LCD.

tino

Banned
Cipherr said:
That article can be found at:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...D---is-the-PenTile-matrix-bad-for-you_id23134

They tested everything. Text at smaller sizes, everything.

Pentile honestly, should not have ever been used at low pixel densities. It seems to be fine at high pixel densities, but breaks down when used on low ppi displays. Scales up well though. Could use better white levels though compared to LCD.
You guys are making a big deal out of nothing. How did people enjoy gaming on the Gameboy Advance?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'll believe it when I see it on the GN. Now... When can I get my hands on a GN?

kehs

Banned
I just noticed on the browser in ICS, that addressbar/tab/options bar pops up whenever you pan, and it's not fixed to the top of the webpage.

Thank god, that shit was ultra annoying.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
tino said:
You guys are making a big deal out of nothing. How did people enjoy gaming on the Gameboy Advance?
With two copies of doom and a link cable. In class. How else?

Bboy AJ

Thanks. I thought this thing was going to be launched "RIGHT NOW!!" Instead, we have no official availability information. Weak.

I remember when the Nexus One was announced. I was able to purchase and bought it immediately.

Copernicus said:
I just noticed on the browser in ICS, that addressbar/tab/options bar pops up whenever you pan, and it's not fixed to the top of the webpage.

agreed, does the new ios update do that as well out of curiosity? just find it annoying on both my phone (original droid) and my wifes (iphone4 on ios4). The one saving thing was i think the menu button brings up the address bar so that was at least not too bad.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I would play a really DOPE MMO on a cellphone. It would have to be really cool though. Like, better than WoW.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah you'd just plug it in or carry an extra battery though. It should be fantasy space themed. Like if there was a mount that was like a blue whale that you could fly between different planetoids or something.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I was wondering about the green, too.. when you look at diagrams of pentiles upclose its the green pixels that are smallest. So why does that tint green when up close? Are there more of them?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Copernicus said:

I hope ICS has the quick controls like the honeycomb browser. I've gotten quite accustomed to it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Unknown Soldier said:
PenTile means I'm going to go into a Verizon store and look at the phone myself before I decide to buy it or not. The only other PenTile display I've looked at for any length of time was a friend's Droid Incredible, and it was incredibly noticeable on that phone.

If super-high PPI can mask PenTile, that's great. But I'll only believe it when I see it, which means I'm not going to pre-order the Galaxy Tuna and I most certainly won't buy it if I can see the PenTile matrix. Fuck that noise. PenTile is shit. Period.

That was the one, I think! When I was in the Verizon store last I was messing around with some Android phones, and that one stood out for how horrible the screen looked. Had that pentile effect going strong.

Bboy AJ

dIEHARD said:
Am i the only one that think the Note looks like shit in that picture?
No. Though the proles will make you think otherwise.

Futureman

The Faceless Master said:

It says the Galaxy Nexus is 11/10-5/something. Does that mean Verizon's plan is to stop offering the phone in May 2012? or am I reading too much into that?

I have an upgrade option in June and I REALLY want a Nexus. I'd be pretty pissed if they stop offering it right before my upgrade. I'm hoping it will be down to $199 by then, or maybe even cheaper.

edit: It looks like the Thunderbolt and Incredible 2 are down to $150 now. Weren't those both $300 on contract when they first came out?

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
What's this pentile bs some of you guys are spewing? Is the equivalent to 30fps-60fps crap thats in the gaming section? Never heard of pentile or pixel density until recently. I doubt the average user would be able to tell the difference.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone with an eye for quality silkscreens their business cards.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
SSGMUN10000 said:
What's this pentile bs some of you guys are spewing? Is the equivalent to 30fps-60fps crap thats in the gaming section? Never heard of pentile or pixel density until recently. I doubt the average user would be able to tell the difference.

Perhaps it is. As in it's extremely noticeable to anyone with a decent set of eyes.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Zefah said:
Perhaps it is. As in it's extremely noticeable to anyone with a decent set of eyes.

I have pretty good vision and don't notice the difference in fps. Maybe you have to be trained and what too look for. As far as displays I noticed how much better the colors looked on a friends S2 than my mytouch 4g, didnt get a microscope or anything to see if the letters were jagged or not.

nib95

Banned
Difference between 30fps and 60fps is very noticeable. Difference in clarity between the Galaxy S2 and iPhone 4, less so. The iPhone 4 (which is my own phone) is definitely a touch sharper, but this is sort of offset by the S2's better black levels, better colours and better overall size. I'd imagine it'll be similar with the Nexus Galaxy, more so because it's HD and has a higher dpi.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The S2 doesn't have a pentile display.
As far as not noticing framerates goes... thats crazy man.

kehs

Banned
nib95 said:
Difference between 30fps and 60fps is very noticeable. Difference in clarity between the Galaxy S2 and iPhone 4, less so. The iPhone 4 (which is my own phone) is definitely a touch sharper, but this is sort of offset by the S2's better black levels, better colours and better overall size. I'd imagine it'll be similar with the Nexus Galaxy, more so because it's HD and has a higher dpi.

*ppi

god damnit jtwo, first it's siri, then it's pentile, now framerates....you're falling off dude.

Circle T

Futureman said:
It says the Galaxy Nexus is 11/10-5/something. Does that mean Verizon's plan is to stop offering the phone in May 2012? or am I reading too much into that?

I have an upgrade option in June and I REALLY want a Nexus. I'd be pretty pissed if they stop offering it right before my upgrade. I'm hoping it will be down to $199 by then, or maybe even cheaper.

edit: It looks like the Thunderbolt and Incredible 2 are down to $150 now. Weren't those both $300 on contract when they first came out?
In retail MAP refers to "Minimum Advertised Price" for the item. Basically, it means that if you want to advertise the item for sale, it has to be at that MAP price. Looks like VZW does MAP pricing for 6 months on their devices. They will still certainly sell the device after 6 months, but after that, retailers will be free to advertise it for whatever they want.

Online retailers, like Amazon, have you "Add to Cart to see price" to get around this. That way they can offer the phone for less than MAP...

Bionic - Still MAP locked
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005IQOFW0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thunderbolt - Not MAP locked
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M5HB6U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Husker86

SSGMUN10000 said:

Ok seriously. I have never had an eye or ear for quality like some people but PenTile is noticeable on my Mom's Epic 4G. I love the screen, but I would call it more pixelated than even my Thunderbolt with the same resolution on a larger screen. I am honestly baffled that people cannot see it on the current Sammy 800x480 screens. It's just with the lighter text color though (titles of icons, settings menu, etc.)

That said, I think we'll be safe on the GN screen simply because of the higher density.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Copernicus said:
*ppi

god damnit jtwo, first it's siri, then it's pentile, now framerates....you're falling off dude.
How am I falling off? I'm saying he is crazy if he doesn't notice framerates. (which he is)

Cipherr said:
100-Crop-Text.jpg

So what does that proves???that iphone has more resolution???well that will end with galaxy nexus...

Beezy

SSGMUN10000 said:
I have pretty good vision and don't notice the difference in fps. Maybe you have to be trained and what too look for. As far as displays I noticed how much better the colors looked on a friends S2 than my mytouch 4g, didnt get a microscope or anything to see if the letters were jagged or not.
30fps-60fps is easily noticeable in fps and racing games. I was always able to tell the difference before I even knew what the correct terms were.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Copernicus said:
NO! Goddamn it Copernicus. You can't just say I'm falling off and cause me to question my entire reality and my place therein and then just reply with "exactly." Are you trying to put me in a mental institution?
this phone really just needs to come out because im not sure how much more cabin fever i can handle

Circle T

Husker86 said:
Ok seriously. I have never had an eye or ear for quality like some people but PenTile is noticeable on my Mom's Epic 4G. I love the screen, but I would call it more pixelated than even my Thunderbolt with the same resolution on a larger screen. I am honestly baffled that people cannot see it on the current Sammy 800x480 screens. It's just with the lighter text color though (titles of icons, settings menu, etc.)

That said, I think we'll be safe on the GN screen simply because of the higher density.
The Infuse, Charge, and all Galaxy SII variants use non-PenTile displays.

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:
NO! Goddamn it Copernicus. You can't just say I'm falling off and cause me to question my entire reality and my place therein and then just reply with "exactly." Are you trying to put me in a mental institution?
this phone really just needs to come out because im not sure how much more cabin fever i can handle

Next thing you're gonna tell me is that you need LTE and can't live with 3g.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Copernicus said:
Next thing you're gonna tell me is that you need LTE and can't live with 3g.
I change my opinion on things at anytime, for no reason at all. Its just how I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom