• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
jayb said:
Samsung has been terribly slow in releasing updates. I'm sure it'll eventually get an official ICS update, but who knows how long that'll take. There will definitely be ICS ROMs available for it, and probably before any official update hits.

shinshoryuken said:
http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/news/2011/10/galaxy_s2_to_get_ice_cream_sandwich_in_january/

It seem like the gs2 will be getting ICS this January. Not too bad at all. .
That seems alright, I'd probably go with the custom ROM though. I just checked and the Galaxy S2 seems fairly easy to root.

edit: Oh, and how easy is it to transfer your stuff from Android phone to Android phone? I have my contacts saved on my Google account, so that should not be a problem, paid apps just transfer over as well?

Barra said the hardware was simply too old to run the new operating system.

Why even say shit like this? Why not just say, "It's not coming to the N1 because we don't want it to." They're just going to look stupid when CyanogenMod ports it to the N1 and twenty-something other devices.

Zombie James said:
Why even say shit like this? Why not just say, "It's not coming to the N1 because we don't want it to." They're just going to look stupid when CyanogenMod ports it to the N1 and twenty-something other devices.

I'm pretty sure the issue will be the rom footprint, not the processor. The Nexus One had what 512mb of rom? Which had to fit the OS and system apps. And 190mb was reserved for third party apps. I expect ICS to be significantly bigger. Thus if ICS does appear on the Nexus One through Cyanogen mod expect a bunch of stuff to be stripped out/cut back. I suppose a half assed port is better than no port at all.

Takuan

Looking forward to ICS. I want an alternative to LauncherPro that will hopefully be more compatible with my widgets of choice; I sure as hell am not switching back to TouchWiz. Definitely rooting my GS2, Samsung's apps have been completely worthless to me and I like the idea of installing a clean OS.

gcubed said:
again, if you aren't in the US, Samsung is fine. If you are in the US, i wouldn't expect ICS until June

I'm still a newbie on the android thing, but can you put ICS on a rooted US phone when its available? Like when developers gets the source and all that stuff...

gcubed

shinshoryuken said:
I'm still a newbie on the android thing, but can you put ICS on a rooted US phone when its available? Like when developers gets the source and all that stuff...

No idea if you can just load the international version up. There will be ROMs available after its released that i am sure will work if you unlock your bootloader.

I just ordered the Xperia Play from Verizon as my upgrade from my old Eris.

I dont know if it was a good move tho..
My Eris was great, at first, but a year later it was a buggy mess half the time (think support was dropped for it after I bought it, hence why I only paid $70)
In the end tho I found all I ever needed in a phone was stability, phone calls, text, email, a little web browsing, and google maps...I'm a simple man I guess lol.

The Play was only $50 as an upgrade so I said the heck with it and did it. Not sure if the gaming option is all the much of a draw for me since i never used my Eris to do it (love my PSP) and I'll have a Vita soon.

Opinions guys? SHould I cancel the order?

Pkm said:
I just ordered the Xperia Play from Verizon as my upgrade from my old Eris.

I dont know if it was a good move tho..
My Eris was great, at first, but a year later it was a buggy mess half the time (think support was dropped for it after I bought it, hence why I only paid $70)
In the end tho I found all I ever needed in a phone was stability, phone calls, text, email, a little web browsing, and google maps...I'm a simple man I guess lol.

The Play was only $50 as an upgrade so I said the heck with it and did it. Not sure if the gaming option is all the much of a draw for me since i never used my Eris to do it (love my PSP) and I'll have a Vita soon.

Opinions guys? SHould I cancel the order?

Yes. Not a fan. Not a fan. Not a fan. At all. What are your other options?

Getting to grips with my new archos. So far I'm impressed, though I'm really missing swiftkey, and feeling to cheap to buy the tablet version. Is it worth it?

Screen is pretty good, its not IPS quality, but a lot better than other budget tabs I've seen (advent Vega). Believe it uses an mva panel.

Is there text wrapping in hc browser?

OriginalThinking said:
Yes. Not a fan. Not a fan. Not a fan. At all. What are your other options?

Trying to stay sub-$100, like I said...not a phone user. I usually forget to even charge mine lol.

options $100 and under
8GB iPhone 4 for $100
BB Curve $30
Samsung Continuum $50

Cdammen

Any recommendations on a podcast management/listening app?

doubleTwist was buggy as hell and I had a terrible experience and Songbird I'm just sick of. I need something that will check, and download from RSS feeds and be able to play back from within the app "bookmarking" my last position when I leave the app or pause.

(EDIT) I'm in Sweden, so no Google Music for me. I can't even download the app... if that's what you are about to recommend :)

Cdammen

AndyD said:
Doesnt Listen do it? I also use PocketCasts. Works quite well.
Thanks AndyD, PocketCasts looks exactly like what I wanted. Listen I've tried, forgot to mention that. I just wanted something new :)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Listen is the WORST app ever though.
I don't know why I still use it day in, day out. I like that it syncs with reader but holy jesus, the refresh button is still LOW res. And it hasn't been updated in over a year. Whoever made that app on their 20% time sure moved onto something else.

I just searched the market for Pocket Cats. lol

AndyD said:
Doesnt Listen do it? I also use PocketCasts. Works quite well.

last time i used listen it was really buggy...im looking for something that synchs my pause point between phone and pc...does anything exist that does this?

really wish google reader had this functionality...

SimleuqiR

Jtwo said:
Listen is the WORST app ever though.
I don't know why I still use it day in, day out. I like that it syncs with reader but holy jesus, the refresh button is still LOW res. And it hasn't been updated in over a year. Whoever made that app on their 20% time sure moved onto something else.

I just searched the market for Pocket Cats. lol

When was the last time they updated that app? You could almost tell when Google just gives up on some of their projects...

Gmail
Reader
Maps

...Are constantly being updated and tweaked. Add Google+ to that list.
Listen is just dead to me. They should add a podcast service on to Google Music Beta and be done with it.

jayb

Pkm said:
Trying to stay sub-$100, like I said...not a phone user. I usually forget to even charge mine lol.

options $100 and under
8GB iPhone 4 for $100
BB Curve $30
Samsung Continuum $50

out of those phone, the 8GB iPhone 4 easily is the best choice.

gcubed

jayb said:
out of those phone, the 8GB iPhone 4 easily is the best choice.

agreed, its your best choice on that list. You looking at Amazon wireless for your upgrade? You can get some nice phones usually through there for much cheaper if you really want to android route.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
One of my number 1 wants for quite some time has been control over the sharing menu.
Any word on this in ICS? Can in customize what apps pop up from the share button? Sure would make it a lot cleaner and nicer if I only had the services I wanted.

kharma45

OriginalThinking said:
I'm pretty sure the issue will be the rom footprint, not the processor. The Nexus One had what 512mb of rom? Which had to fit the OS and system apps. And 190mb was reserved for third party apps. I expect ICS to be significantly bigger. Thus if ICS does appear on the Nexus One through Cyanogen mod expect a bunch of stuff to be stripped out/cut back. I suppose a half assed port is better than no port at all.

Yeah it'll be memory constraints not the processor, as with ICS being hardware accelerated it should run better than both Froyo and Gingerbread on the N1.

No doubt there'll be a CM ROM for it, but hopefully Google does an HTC and does manage to get an official ICS release out. HTC said there'd be no 2.3 for the Desire due to memory limitations but still released it as an optional download from their site sans some apps.

Lesiroth

Zombie James said:
The thing is, I don't even get why wouldn't they want to update the N1. I'm pretty sure it's capable enough.

gcubed

Lesiroth said:
The thing is, I don't even get why wouldn't they want to update the N1. I'm pretty sure it's capable enough.

as has been said, processing, etc wise yes, i'm sure it is... but its such a FUBAR'ed phone as far as ROM size goes that the OS simply may not fit.

I ditched Listen a long time ago for DoggCatcher, and I recently started using stitcher since DoggCatcher was pissing me off with refusing to download stuff sometimes, but stitcher just deleted all my favourites, and currently loading up This American Life causes it to crash for whatever reason.

FireCloud

I used to use Listen but I suspect that it was causing media playback to stop intermittently. Since I've uninstalled it I haven't had that problem.

I've been using Pocketcasts for awhile now. It isnt perfect but it is a whole lot better than Listen. It is also reasonably priced. Doggcatcher was a little too pricy for me to take a chance on.

MrJames

andycapps said:
I'm getting a message to add a credit card for my one click purchasing options when I get the app. It shows up for free like all the rest of them.. This is the first time I've received this message and don't want it to accidentally buy it for $15.

Ok, works now.

Lesiroth

gcubed said:
as has been said, processing, etc wise yes, i'm sure it is... but its such a FUBAR'ed phone as far as ROM size goes that the OS simply may not fit.
Is there really such a big difference in size between GB and ICS?

Besides, even if it did not fit, why wouldn't Google just come out and say that?

kehs

Banned
I've been researching the benefits of Instapaper since last night, way too caught up, it's like looking into the life of John Titor.

Battersea Power Station said:
Do you guys know of any good universal car docks for phones? Between my wife and I sharing a car and getting new phones ~every 2 years, buying multiple docks seems like a waste of money, plastic, etc.

I saw one a while ago that seemed to work on the basis of a sticky bad (I think?). That didn't sound like a good idea.

This just came up:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/1...hat-brings-a-tripod-mount-to-your-smartphone/

shinshoryuken said:
yes, if a compatible rom is made, it can be flashed. root may not be required depending on which phone it is...

got a nexus s.

its pretty good if a bit empty compared to my last android phones that come with loads of bullshit.

still... some extra widgets would be nice.

Any gaf recommended widgets?

Cipherr

Pkm said:

options $100 and under
8GB iPhone 4 for $100
BB Curve $30
Samsung Continuum $50

That list? Iphone easily. If you are Sprint, you can get a Galaxy S2 for $99 through Amazon wireless. In fact, no matter who you are with, go check Amazon wireless if you want to save money.

Edit: I checked Amazon wireless, you can get a 4G Droid Charge for $119.99 if your willing to tack an extra 20 bucks on. But outside of that the iPhone 4 is your best option in that price range.

Blackhead

Redarse
Cipherr said:
That list? Iphone easily. If you are Sprint, you can get a Galaxy S2 for $99 through Amazon wireless. In fact, no matter who you are with, go check Amazon wireless if you want to save money.

Edit: I checked Amazon wireless, you can get a 4G Droid Charge for $119.99 if your willing to tack an extra 20 bucks on. But outside of that the iPhone 4 is your best option in that price range.
There is no iPhone 4 on Sprint so I'm guessing he is on Verizon. That iPhone 4 is only 8GB though (which translates into about 6GB for the user) which is way too small.

giga

Greyface said:
There is no iPhone 4 on Sprint so I'm guessing he is on Verizon. That iPhone 4 is only 8GB though (which translates into about 6GB for the user) which is way too small.
???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom