• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snarfington said:
Just a question for you guys. Looking to switch to Android without paying more than £250 GBP or so. Been looking at the Nexus S, looks nice, especially knowing it will get ICS in the near future. Looking for something unlocked or PAYG on O2. Any other suggestions?

Since I'm upgrading from an iPhone 3G (aka slowest phone I have used) I am not particularly bothered with having bleeding-edge tech, but if there is a more recent alternative it'd be nice to hear about it.
Nexus so for £250 is pretty good, especially since it will be getting ICS, whereas others in that price range won't be so lucky. Other options around that price are motorola defy+ for £245, or on a budget then there is the acer liquid metal for £160. (both unlocked from expansys)

Some of the first generation dual core phones (atrix, lg 2x) can be found on sale occasionally for under £250, so always worth looking on hotukdeals or ebay to see what's being sold off.

sionyboy said:
Nexus so for £250 is pretty good, especially since it will be getting ICS, whereas others in that price range won't be so lucky. Other options around that price are motorola defy+ for £245, or on a budget then there is the acer liquid metal for £160. (both unlocked from expansys)

Some of the first generation dual core phones (atrix, lg 2x) can be found on sale occasionally for under £250, so always worth looking on hotukdeals or ebay to see what's being sold off.
Popping into your local cex is a good idea. Their used phones come with a 12 month warranty and you can check out the condition before you buy. An Atrix should be doable around the £250 mark.

3phemeral

titiklabingapat said:
I don't really use these apps but Amazon's free app of the day is OfficeSuite Pro 5, usually $15. Just a head's up.
Every now and then, Amazon really wows me with the kind of stuff they offer for free. Week after week of crappy games and then BAM! Nabbed it for myself, my mom and a friend of mine. Sweet!

gcubed

If you live in the us and are looking between the nexus and s2 it shouldn't even be a question.

The most important part of the phone is the os, why saddle yourself with gingerbread for a few extra megapixels. That doesn't even take into account the vastly inferior T-Mobile version

Cipherr

gcubed

Cipherr said:
GS2 owners must be feeling pretty damn good. Thats really not bad at all. November launch for the Nexus, ICS port to the best Android phone out right now in January.

Pretty damn awesome. Shouldn't be any buyers remorse there at all.
Unless you live in the US

andycapps

titiklabingapat said:
I don't really use these apps but Amazon's free app of the day is OfficeSuite Pro 5, usually $15. Just a head's up.

I'm getting a message to add a credit card for my one click purchasing options when I get the app. It shows up for free like all the rest of them.. This is the first time I've received this message and don't want it to accidentally buy it for $15.

MrJames

andycapps said:
I'm getting a message to add a credit card for my one click purchasing options when I get the app. It shows up for free like all the rest of them.. This is the first time I've received this message and don't want it to accidentally buy it for $15.

I'm getting that same message.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't have access to an Android phone now. Anyway I can still snag stuff from the Amazon app store?

Posted from my iPhone

Pctx

Banned
gcubed said:
Unless you live in the US
I'm wondering though if the newer updates from Google haven't changed in how "carriers" have to vet them. If we have no Nexus phone in stores or announced for what carriers come end of November, I'm getting an S2 and saying F it this drama.

gcubed

Pctx said:
I'm wondering though if the newer updates from Google haven't changed in how "carriers" have to vet them. If we have no Nexus phone in stores or announced for what carriers come end of November, I'm getting an S2 and saying F it this drama.

if they aren't announced by end of November, then there are other issues.

tino

Banned
Bboy AJ said:
I don't have access to an Android phone now. Anyway I can still snag stuff from the Amazon app store?

Posted from my iPhone
I am pretty sure you can just buy it from amazon app store website.

SimleuqiR

Goodbye sweet prince!
Owners of the first official Google phone, the Nexus One, will not be getting the upgrade, however. Barra said the hardware was simply too old to run the new operating system.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/8848669/Android-upgrade-for-Google-Nexus-S-in-weeks.html

SimleuqiR

Divvy said:
What's a nightlie? I haven't rooted my phone, but now I think I will.

I'm on CM7 10202011-nightly-n1

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/blog/cm7-nightly-builds

I use ROM manager to keep it up to date.

e520f

Hey! My contract has run out and I could get a Galaxy S2 for cheap. Now, I know the Galaxy Nexus is coming pretty soon and it seems like the better phone overall. It's probably going to take at least a month to come out here, though. How good has Samsung been about putting out upgrades for their phones, and how likely is it that the Galaxy S2 is going to get an official Android 4.0 upgrade? Also, if not, are there going to be custom ROMs with 4.0?

Thanks in advance.

jayb

close to the edge said:
Hey! My contract has run out though and I could get a Galaxy S2 for cheap. Now, I know the Galaxy Nexus is coming pretty soon and it seems like the better phone overall. It's probably going to take at least a month to come out here, though. How good has Samsung been about putting out upgrades for their phones, and how likely is it that the Galaxy S2 is going to get an official Android 4.0 upgrade? Also, if not, are there going to be custom ROMs with 4.0?

Thanks in advance.

Samsung has been terribly slow in releasing updates. I'm sure it'll eventually get an official ICS update, but who knows how long that'll take. There will definitely be ICS ROMs available for it, and probably before any official update hits.

Gunsmithx

The Faceless Master said:
the website.

hmm I tiried that and it keeps wanting me to download the app store to a phone.

I just want to get some free apps cause I'll mostly likely be switching to android when the Nexus comes out. I guess I could just use my friends phone as well.

Do you guys know of any good universal car docks for phones? Between my wife and I sharing a car and getting new phones ~every 2 years, buying multiple docks seems like a waste of money, plastic, etc.

I saw one a while ago that seemed to work on the basis of a sticky bad (I think?). That didn't sound like a good idea.

krzy123

Battersea Power Station said:
Do you guys know of any good universal car docks for phones? Between my wife and I sharing a car and getting new phones ~every 2 years, buying multiple docks seems like a waste of money, plastic, etc.

I saw one a while ago that seemed to work on the basis of a sticky bad (I think?). That didn't sound like a good idea.

I use this one (mounted in air vent), haven't had an issue, has a quick release button for easy removal. Comes w/ a creepy photo already in the mount though. Plus for $3.60 + ship, won't feel bad if it totally sucks.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10840&cs_id=1084001&p_id=5272&seq=1&format=2

VanWinkle

titiklabingapat said:

Wow, downloaded it to my Transformer, and it was actually a Honeycomb version. I figured it would just be a phone version blown up. Can't believe it was free.

Guys, I'm looking to make the leap to the Nexus Galazy.

I am an iOS user who is heavily in the Apple Ecosystem e.g Macbook Pro, iCloud but not for videos, just syncing between devices, iCloud email, apps, etc. How easy will the leap be? DOes anyone have an @me.com account and on Android?

I will miss the beauty of the UI, that I am prepared for, but the last Android device I had was a Nexus 1 by HTC. Although I did like most of the UI some parts were so shit like the music player and integration with my work Exchange account. I love my nice looking apps too, Facebook and Twitterrific look damn awesome, are the alternatives as sexy looking?

Hopefully you guys can give me some tips and advice about making the leap

Mecha_Infantry said:
Guys, I'm looking to make the leap to the Nexus Galazy.

I am an iOS user who is heavily in the Apple Ecosystem e.g Macbook Pro, iCloud but not for videos, just syncing between devices, iCloud email, apps, etc. How easy will the leap be? DOes anyone have an @me.com account and on Android?

I will miss the beauty of the UI, that I am prepared for, but the last Android device I had was a Nexus 1 by HTC. Although I did like most of the UI some parts were so shit like the music player and integration with my work Exchange account. I love my nice looking apps too, Facebook and Twitterrific look damn awesome, are the alternatives as sexy looking?

Hopefully you guys can give me some tips and advice about making the leap

Mecha, Is this a joke post?!!

Pctx

Banned
PAGING DR. FUNK!

What and/or where is the cheapest place to pick up the international version of the S2 unlocked?

Gunsmithx said:
hmm I tiried that and it keeps wanting me to download the app store to a phone.

I just want to get some free apps cause I'll mostly likely be switching to android when the Nexus comes out. I guess I could just use my friends phone as well.
both the mobile and full versions of Amazon.com when viewed in the android browser should allow you to get the free app of the day.

Ocho

andycapps said:

Got the same message, as well. However I updated the 1 click options on Amazon and got it free of charge.

JonnyBrad said:
It'll have it within weeks of the source going out (and no touchwiz) with CM9 if you root.

Depends if you like samsungs additions or not i guess (i don't)
well, a lot of Samsung's additions come standard in ICS now, so that should make things interesting for people who like TouchWiz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom