• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

blitz64

Greyface said:
There is no iPhone 4 on Sprint so I'm guessing he is on Verizon. That iPhone 4 is only 8GB though (which translates into about 6GB for the user) which is way too small.

As mentioned, there is iphone 4 on sprint now. I think you are assuming only the new iphone 4s is on sprint. Both old and new iphone is on sprint now.

Vyse The Legend said:
As a current Nexus One owner, I think it's the right move. Two years is long time.
you might think that, but it's not how you should treat your customers. The thing came out like 1.5 years ago in most places.

The Faceless Master said:
yes, if a compatible rom is made, it can be flashed. root may not be required depending on which phone it is...

awesome.

I really like my gs2 and so far there no announcement yet if att will have a version of the galaxy nexus next month.

the only thing that really intrigue me about the galaxy nexus is ICS and 720p....but I don't like the extra size, the gs2 is already big enough for me.

dream

-Pyromaniac- said:
you might think that, but it's not how you should treat your customers. The thing came out like 1.5 years ago in most places.

tipb.com put up a really cool image about it:

iphone_ios_5_nexus_android_41.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I like how the Nexus is on an 11 month cycle.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I'm trying to root my phone and install CM on it, but I'm not sure what this part of the process means:

On the computer, open terminal and run: fastboot oem unlock

What's the terminal?

dream said:

also consider the fact that people who got a nexus one likely paid 600 dollars for it. Google should shut up and hook em up. It's sad. I don't even care because I have an S, but I'd hate to be in that situation.]

Jamesfrom818 said:
Isn't the 4S the only one getting Siri? Google could cram in ICS and leave out features too.
the One and S specs aren't that far apart though. Take away whatever you can't fit for some imaginary reason. I bet it all would fit for the most part.

kehs

Banned
dream said:

Why did they put different dates under the same phone on the left side....oh.

sidenote: does no one give three shits about sizing accuracy?

Having trouble using my phone as a wifi hotspot. As soon as the hotspot becomes active, the 3g network disappears.

Same issue while using USB tethering. Problem with phone or network?

killakiz said:
The Nexus One is a developer device, if you want Android 4.0, install it.
besides the point. It's about support. Imagine buying a galaxy nexus for 600 dollars and then 1.5 years later they tell you that you aren't getting any official OS release. Pretty cold, son.

They either don't give a shit or are being purposely lazy because they know the community will end up making their own release of it.

dream

Jamesfrom818 said:
Isn't the 4S the only one getting Siri? Google could cram in ICS and leave out features too.

They should. Each supported iPhone has different levels of functionality (iPhone 3GS doesn't support Personal Hotspot, for example) but having them all run iOS 5 gives developers a baseline to target.

Plus it would get rid of the perception that Google doesn't give a shit about longterm support.

Copernicus said:
Why did they put different dates under the same phone on the left side....oh.

sidenote: does no one give three shits about sizing accuracy?

Nobody cares. What do you think this is, a patent lawsuit filing or something?

Divvy said:
I'm trying to root my phone and install CM on it, but I'm not sure what this part of the process means:

On the computer, open terminal and run: fastboot oem unlock

What's the terminal?
Open up a command prompt in Windows, navigate to the directory where you have fastboot, and type in that command. Let me know if you have other questions.

kehs

Banned
dream said:
They should. Each supported iPhone has different levels of functionality (iPhone 3GS doesn't support Personal Hotspot, for example) but having them all run iOS 5 gives developers a baseline to target.

Plus it would get rid of the perception that Google doesn't give a shit about longterm support.

Nobody cares. What do you think this is, a patent lawsuit filing or something?

Let's be real here, anyone who bought a N1, knew what they were getting into.

Anyone else owning an N1 it's second hand. They probably looked at their market stats and decided the 5 people using an N1 with official software wasn't worth the development time.

They should at least be somewhere close to actual size, like so:

http://phandroid.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/evolution-of-nexus.png

tino

Banned
jayb said:
wow, didn't realize the 3GS was already so old.

I think I'm honestly starting to hate both google and apple. I feel like I'm being constantly trolled by both companies.

Thats why you shouldn't be royal to any platform. Hack your own shit, flash your own rom. That's the only way to control your (gadgets) destiny.

DXPett1

dream said:

IOS 4 on the 3GS is bad enough. Normally Apple are the ones to make the right call in when to drop a device but it seems Google is the ones with balls now.

bedlamite

Field said:
Anyone know what could be the best 4.3 inch phone for music through headphones. HTC Sensation maybe?
The Sensation has very clean headphone output, pair it up with PowerAmp and you have a good replacement for a dedicated MP3 player. Do not get the XE, the Beats audio enhancements are merely EQ settings, and the Beats earphones are typical Monster crap.

Divvy

Battersea Power Station said:
Open up a command prompt in Windows, navigate to the directory where you have fastboot, and type in that command. Let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks. I tried fastboot and it seems to be telling me that AdbWinApi.dll is missing.
I've been googling this, and tried installing the android sdk, but i can't find it in there either.

EDIT: hmm I think I need to update the sdk, will try that.

Blackhead

Redarse
Jamesfrom818 said:
yeah, the Nexus launched with 2.1 and received two major updates with 2.2 and 2.3 (Froyo and Gingerbread). The iPhone 3GS launched with iOS3 and received two major updates with iOS4 and iOS5. Pundits tend to forget that Google has been iterating Android faster than Apple has been updating iOS. Moreover, when Android phones receive the new update, it tends to be with all the features intact--someone correct me if I'm wrong here--unlike the iPhones which often get less feature rich updates. I'd like to see a more nuanced comparison between the two ecosystems.

Greyface said:
yeah, the Nexus launched with 2.1 and received two major updates with 2.2 and 2.3 (Froyo and Gingerbread). The iPhone 3GS launched with iOS3 and received two major updates with iOS4 and iOS5. Pundits tend to forget that Google has been iterating Android faster than Apple has been updating iOS. Moreover, when Android phones receive the new update, it tends to be with all the features intact--someone correct me if I'm wrong here--unlike the iPhones which often get less feature rich updates. I'd like to see a more nuanced comparison between the two ecosystems.
2.2 and 2.3 were basically the same.

Pctx

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
Reposting from the other thread.

So, the official Verizon sign-up page went live, and uh...

Verizon-Wireless-SGN.png

Yeah... Exclusively from Verizon.
F ME IN THE F'NING *BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
asd
f
asdf
asdfa sdfkals;df kasdflk asdlfm asdlfmas
d;f mlas
dfa
sdfals;d
fmasdfm
asmf ;sdlmf a;sdlmf;sldmfa;sdlmf;alsmfasmfsmf!:!:!LM!
:M!
:!LM!
:M!:!LM:
!LM!
:ML!
:!M
!:LM:LDMFSLKDFMSLOKFNMOI@NO@NIK!

DXPett1 said:
IOS 4 on the 3GS is bad enough. Normally Apple are the ones to make the right call in when to drop a device but it seems Google is the ones with balls now.
actually iOS5 works really great on a 3GS, speed went up a lot from 4. Anything can work if you optimize it properly. Google just doesn't care. The fact that consumers are totally fine with this is jarring in itself.

Divvy

Okay next problem. Trying to run the fastboot oem unlock command, but nothing happens. It just says <waiting for device>. There should be a prompt on the phone but nothing is happening.

-Pyromaniac- said:
actually iOS5 works really great on a 3GS, speed went up a lot from 4. Anything can work if you optimize it properly. Google just doesn't care. The fact that consumers are totally fine with this is jarring in itself.
Consumers are used to not even getting point releases updates of Android firmware, so not getting a major release must be no surprise at all.

kehs

Banned
Divvy said:
Okay next problem. Trying to run the fastboot oem unlock command, but nothing happens. It just says <waiting for device>. There should be a prompt on the phone but nothing is happening.

Did you do "fastboot devices" first?

dream said:
because you need a new phone after Google abruptly EOL'd your Nexus One?

My N1 was EOL'd when they put android on it. I need a phone with real support, and I have no reason to doubt HP, they did give us webOS after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom