• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
rozay said:
Bullshit, in terms of the number of improvements and features it was similar to the jump from iOS 2 to 3.
No. You can't compare 2 to 3 to 2.2 to 2.3. Are you serious? You have to compare them at similar points in time. iOS 4 vs Froyo. 2.3 included lots of stuff that you could not use nor was implemented anyways. Like SIP and NFC. Only a year later after its release are you starting to see it being used.

rozay

Banned
foodtaster said:
No. You can't compare 2 to 3 to 2.2 to 2.3. Are you serious? You have to compare them at similar points in time. iOS 4 vs Froyo. 2.3 included lots of stuff that you could not use nor was implemented anyways. Like SIP and NFC. Only a year later after its release are you starting to see it being used.
I specifically said number of features cause I don't remember a whole lot changing on the surface with IOS 3, I wasn't referring to the time periods or features. Gingerbread had tons of under the hood improvements, implemented system wide copy and paste, a much better keyboard and VOIP, NFC, and video calling.

The only reason I replied to your post was because you tried to pass it off as just a subtle update, which it was not. Nowhere near as important as froyo was to android, but still a decent update.

tino

Banned
Cipherr said:
Lose the keyboard. Just give me the tablet :D Love that finish. Dumbass name though. Literally sounds like it was named by my 6 years old nephew.
WHA? It was cool on Nexus Prime but not on Tranformer Prime? Its an awesome name.

At lease Asus knows its demographic.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
iapetus said:
Carefully manufactured Apple fanboy talking point turns out to be not-entirely-accurate? I swear, every day the line between Apple fans and creationists blurs a little more.

It's also worth noting the first Android SDK was released I think about 8 months before the iPhone's. Although that 6 min video may not show it, Android was all about third-party apps back then, when in iPhone-land developers were told to "just make web apps."

will ics fix the wake lock issue that has plagued android since forever, or at least make it more transparent as to what apps are keeping the OS awake?
How hard can it be? screen off, put the fkking phone into sleep.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
dream said:
tipb.com put up a really cool image about it:

iphone_ios_5_nexus_android_41.jpg

To be fair, Apple kept selling the 3GS for much longer than Google made the N1. I'd still feel kind of ripped off if I was an owner. Custom roms are great and all, but it's always nice to know that official support is still ongoing.

gcubed

Alien Bob said:
To be fair, Apple kept selling the 3GS for much longer than Google made the N1. I'd still feel kind of ripped off if I was an owner. Custom roms are great and all, but it's always nice to know that official support is still ongoing.
And Google sold about 200 nexus ones in comparison to millions of 3GS's, not to mention that probably only 50 of those are still even working. Its funny to get apple fans posting in the thread bitching about something they are clueless on.

That's copernicus' job.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Subliminal said:
Don't know what the Nexus one owners are complaining about. Us HTC Hero owners got shat on within 6 months of buying!

But then again I had (custom) Gingerbread on my Hero and the girlfriend's still stuck on Froyo with her Desire. SHE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT SHE WAS MISSING ROFL.

kharma45

Subliminal said:
Don't know what the Nexus one owners are complaining about. Us HTC Hero owners got shat on within 6 months of buying!

Too true, and that's why I swore I'd never buy another HTC Sense device again.

bytesized said:
Wow, I really hope the Galaxy Nexus is not exclusive to just one carrier in Europe too. Specially if it's T-mobile.

The other Nexus' haven't been, don't see why this one would be any different.

kehs

Banned
gcubed said:
And Google sold about 200 nexus ones in comparison to millions of 3GS's, not to mention that probably only 50 of those are still even working. Its funny to get apple fans posting in the thread bitching about something they are clueless on.

That's copernicus' job.

I'm glad we have ADF speaking on the behalf of N1 users. We are obviously too scared to speak out about Google taking advantage of us.

x-Lundz-x

Wow, so the RAZR and the Nexus Prime are exclusive to Verizon in the states? Sprint, hurry the eff up and convert to LTE so we can get these phones.

x-Lundz-x said:
Wow, so the RAZR and the Nexus Prime are exclusive to Verizon in the states? Sprint, hurry the eff up and convert to LTE so we can get these phones.

And the HTC Vigor/Rezound, another 720p superphone.

In other words, Verizon made the right decision skipping out on the S2.

andycapps

To everyone freaking out about the Galaxy Nexus being "exclusive" to Verizon, I'd take that with a large grain of salt. Verizon has said stuff is "exclusive" before but it turned out to only be timed exclusive. Most likely, this is only exclusive for a few weeks or a couple months. Remember the promotional posters that Sprint has ordered for the Galaxy Nexus? I doubt they did that to help convert people to Big Red.

What's with all the hooplah about the Nexus One not getting ICS? Is anybody out there actually using a stock Nexus One?

Mine and every one I've seen out in the wild is running some custom rom or another. But yeah, google fucked up I guess by releasing a phone with an adreno 200 which is a completely useless piece of crap.

Vyse The Legend said:
And the HTC Vigor/Rezound, another 720p superphone.

In other words, Verizon made the right decision skipping out on the S2.

Or they could have, I don't know, released the S2 8 months ago...

TouchMyBox said:

Blame Samsung.

In early 2011, the S2 was a juggernaut. Now, it's old tech. Verizon was smart to pass on it.

Most likely, this is only exclusive for a few weeks or a couple months. Remember the promotional posters that Sprint has ordered for the Galaxy Nexus? I doubt they did that to help convert people to Big Red.

Unless someone comes out and says how long the exclusivity is for, it's all conjecture and speculation.

However, much like the S2, a few months can easily make a phone out-of-date, especially with 2012, CES and CTIA right around the corner.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
TouchMyBox said:
What's with all the hooplah about the Nexus One not getting ICS? Is anybody out there actually using a stock Nexus One?

Mine and every one I've seen out in the wild is running some custom rom or another. But yeah, google fucked up I guess by releasing a phone with an adreno 200 which is a completely useless piece of crap.

Well mine was until I read the news and decided to root and install cm7

Vyse The Legend said:
Blame Samsung.

In early 2011, the S2 was a juggernaut. Now, it's old tech. Verizon was smart to pass on it.

I blame nobody, I am a superior Canadian and we get all the cool phones before you guys, apparently. ;)

Divvy said:
Well mine was until I read the news and decided to root and install cm7

How are you liking it? I remember there not appearing to be a huge difference when I first installed CM on mine, but since I've grown use to all of the little added features, I'm often shocked at some of the things stock android doesn't yet have.

Husker86

andycapps said:
To everyone freaking out about the Galaxy Nexus being "exclusive" to Verizon, I'd take that with a large grain of salt. Verizon has said stuff is "exclusive" before but it turned out to only be timed exclusive. Most likely, this is only exclusive for a few weeks or a couple months. Remember the promotional posters that Sprint has ordered for the Galaxy Nexus? I doubt they did that to help convert people to Big Red.

Of course it's only timed exclusive. I don't think anyone is thinking otherwise. Just if you're not on Best Carrier, you're gonna have to wait.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
TouchMyBox said:
I blame nobody, I am a superior Canadian and we get all the cool phones before you guys, apparently. ;)

How are you liking it? I remember there not appearing to be a huge difference when I first installed CM on mine, but since I've grown use to all of the little added features, I'm often shocked at some of the things stock android doesn't yet have.
Haven't had a chance to really get to use it yet but I'm looking forward to digging deeper.

andycapps said:
This probably deserves it's own thread. Need to counter all the FUD that's out there from Appleophiles.

"To answer the question posed in the headline: yes, a prototype Android device looked like a BlackBerry phone. However, at least one other prototype Android device from the same time frame did not (and it wouldn't surprise me if Google was testing Android on several more prototypes with different form factors). On top of that, the SDK from that exact same time frame also included support for large touch screens. In other words, the argument is invalid."

andycapps

crazy monkey said:
"To answer the question posed in the headline: yes, a prototype Android device looked like a BlackBerry phone. However, at least one other prototype Android device from the same time frame did not (and it wouldn't surprise me if Google was testing Android on several more prototypes with different form factors). On top of that, the SDK from that exact same time frame also included support for large touch screens. In other words, the argument is invalid."

I read the article. The contention among Apple users has been that Android OS looked like Blackberry until Google came along and stole all of Apple's ideas and transformed from a Blackberry type interface to a fully touch screen one. This shows that Google was prototyping mulitple ideas, including a fully touch screen OS that may have even included capacitive screens.

Blackhead

Redarse
TouchMyBox said:
Has any Canadian retail store or carrier announced it yet? it's not up on Amazon.ca...

walbertsmith said:
You sure that evidence isn't from some alternate past? Sergey Brin looked like a teenager in the video 0_o

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That is a terrible ad. Ugh, it almost makes me angry.

Can anyone recommend a good calendar app/widget? I don't like the default one since I can't setup bi-weekly reminders. That and any all-day events don't color the date with a different color, so it's hard to see at a glance.

beje

Banned
The Broken Ska Record said:
Can anyone recommend a good calendar app/widget? I don't like the default one since I can't setup bi-weekly reminders. That and any all-day events don't color the date with a different color, so it's hard to see at a glance.

Try Jorte, it's free and works great.

Android Fragmentation

016a_android_orphans.png

The announcement that Nexus One users won’t be getting upgraded to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich led some to justifiably question Google’s support of their devices. I look at it a little differently: Nexus One owners are lucky. I’ve been researching the history of OS updates on Android phones and Nexus One users have fared much, much better than most Android buyers.

I went back and found every Android phone shipped in the United States1 up through the middle of last year. I then tracked down every update that was released for each device - be it a major OS upgrade or a minor support patch - as well as prices and release & discontinuation dates. I compared these dates & versions to the currently shipping version of Android at the time. The resulting picture isn’t pretty - well, not for Android users:

Other than the original G1 and MyTouch, virtually all of the millions of phones represented by this chart are still under contract today. If you thought that entitled you to some support, think again:

7 of the 18 Android phones never ran a current version of the OS.
12 of 18 only ran a current version of the OS for a matter of weeks or less.
10 of 18 were at least two major versions behind well within their two year contract period.
11 of 18 stopped getting any support updates less than a year after release.
13 of 18 stopped getting any support updates before they even stopped selling the device or very shortly thereafter.
15 of 18 don’t run Gingerbread, which shipped in December 2010.
In a few weeks, when Ice Cream Sandwich comes out, every device on here will be another major version behind.
At least 16 of 18 will almost certainly never get Ice Cream Sandwich.
Also worth noting that each bar in the chart starts from the first day of release - so it only gets worse for people who bought their phone late in its sales period.

More Here!

gcubed

what a lazy article.

Hey, i did all this work on devices available 18 months ago! And i get paid for this garbage!

I love all the failed phones on that list... brings back memories. Garminphone

Other than the original G1 and MyTouch, virtually all of the millions of phones represented by this chart are still under contract today

other then the G1 and mytouch, virtually all of the millions of phones, besides everything in 2009, virtually all

kehs

Banned
You know what's awesome about comparing iOS and Android versions?

It took five revisions for the iOS to get custom ringtones and a notification center.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom