• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah it certainly has been fun watching phones come and go the last two years.

kharma45

Davidion said:
Ahahahahaha, considering that the 3GS hacks up a lung trying to run ios4, it's nice that it "has" ios5.

iOS 4 and 5 run pretty damn well on the 3GS, it was the 3G that had the problems with iOS4.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I fiddled with ios5 on my buddies 3GS and it was perfectly fine. Smoother than my Droid is.

gcubed

Jtwo said:
Yeah it certainly has been fun watching phones come and go the last two years.

i'd be willing to bet that 3/4 of that list sold no more then 20,000 phones combined. Which also lines up to the phones that stopped being sold quickly and abandoned updates

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
pannaan.gif
pannaan.gif
pannaan.gif

YES, droid 4. omg

hardware keyboard bitches. im so ready. fuck galaxy nexus, fuck razr. droid 4!

....sorry, just a little excited. ive been waiting for an LTE/dual core/keyboard phone forever.

YES!!!

BigFwoosh

Bad_Boy said:
pannaan.gif
pannaan.gif
pannaan.gif

YES, droid 4. omg

hardware keyboard bitches. im so ready. fuck galaxy nexus, fuck razr. droid 4!

....sorry, just a little excited. ive been waiting for an LTE/dual core/keyboard phone forever.

YES!!!
Bad_Boy
time to take my meds

Davidion

kharma45 said:
iOS 4 and 5 run pretty damn well on the 3GS, it was the 3G that had the problems with iOS4.

That's strange, I have a couple of friends who stayed on 3GS instead of moving to 4 and the performance was bad enough that they went ahead and downgraded back to 3.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I was thinking about this panoramic photo feature in ICS..

You know where thats headed? Streetview. 10 years from now everyone with Android devices will be doing Google's streetview work for them. Seriously, its not that big of a leap. Just spin around 360 degrees and figure out a way to indicate to the user how to get the "ceiling" of the photo and BOOM. Suddenly the entire world is streetviewable.

Something like spinning around 180degrees and then it beeps and then you tilt the phone up to the sky and down to the ground, then spin another 180degrees and do the same thing. Thats 100% coverage. Tag it with GPS coordinates and off to the Googleplex it goes.

Rural areas, shopping malls, alleyways, you name it.

Davidion

Jtwo said:
So I was thinking about this panoramic photo feature in ICS..

You know where thats headed? Streetview. 10 years from now everyone with Android devices will be doing Google's streetview work for them. Seriously, its not that big of a leap. Just spin around 360 degrees and figure out a way to indicate to the user how to get the "ceiling" of the photo and BOOM. Suddenly the entire world is streetviewable.

Something like spinning around 180degrees and then it beeps and then you tilt the phone up to the sky and down to the ground, then spin another 180degrees and do the same thing. Thats 100% coverage. Tag it with GPS coordinates and off to the Googleplex it goes.

Rural areas, shopping malls, alleyways, you name it.

Is that really accurate? I imagine the photo cars that Google has taking streetview pictures have much more precise instruments in them than your average phone GPS setup.

It might work well as an approximation of the area but I don't see it becoming this big crowdsourced map resource. Admittedly though, one can dream...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I have no reason to believe that phones won't be as capable in a short amount of time.

Futureman

Futureman said:
I was looking for those videos yesterday!

I don't get it though... iPhone showed off in January 2007 and these videos are from November 2007. How is this evidence in Google's favor?

Anyone?

Am I getting my dates messed up? Isn't the FIRST TIME we ever saw Android in November 2007?

Android started development in 2003, but the first concrete details and images we saw was after the iPhone was revealed.

andycapps

Futureman said:
Anyone?

Am I getting my dates messed up? Isn't the FIRST TIME we ever saw Android in November 2007?

Android started development in 2003, but the first concrete details and images we saw was after the iPhone was revealed.

I assume the evidence is in Google's favor as the video with the touch screen version of Android came out prior to the "Blackberry" like picture that is often shown as the first version of Android.

kehs

Banned
Futureman said:
Anyone?

Seems that way.

kharma45

Davidion said:
That's strange, I have a couple of friends who stayed on 3GS instead of moving to 4 and the performance was bad enough that they went ahead and downgraded back to 3.

From the 3GSs I've used they've all been generally responsive enough, your friends possibly were unlucky.

jayb

Ferrio said:
"Icon packs"

get 3468 results, only lets me scroll down and see like 12...

I just tested it and had the same results as you... 3469 results, but only displays 16 with no way to display more. strange.

I'm on GB and my market version is 3.1.5.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Paznos said:
Droid 4 already? might as well wait for the Droid 5 :p

Seriously. Have they really been releasing a Droid update every 6 months or so? The first Droid came out like 2 years and 10 days ago.

Besides, it's not even an ICS-native phone.

Husker86

Ferrio said:
"Icon packs"

get 3468 results, only lets me scroll down and see like 12...
Yep ...hmm. Don't know the reason, especially if the website market will let you install ones that don't appear on the phone market (eliminating the excuse of incompatibility).

gcubed

Futureman said:
Logitech Revue with Honeycomb and Market?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/27/logitech-revue-on-sale-promising-new-and-improved-google-tv-with/

and it's only $99? Very tempting. Is the Market restricted at all? This could be pretty nice for Google Music thru my HDTV. Though I guess that's already possible on current GTVs just by using the browser and going to music.google.com? It would probably be nicer thru the app though.

i've been ready to jump in for a while, but i've been waiting to hear any kind of word on ARM GoogleTV boxes.

The Faceless Master said:
isn't that only for the Galaxy S1?

Galaxy S2 uses a Yamaha sound chip, not the Wolfson

You could be right, I'm on a Nexus S 4G so its been great for me and its advertised as for Galaxy S devices.

Futureman said:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/27/logitech-revue-on-sale-promising-new-and-improved-google-tv-with/

and it's only $99? Very tempting. Is the Market restricted at all? This could be pretty nice for Google Music thru my HDTV. Though I guess that's already possible on current GTVs just by using the browser and going to music.google.com? It would probably be nicer thru the app though.

Are the major sites still actively blocking GoogleTV devices?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Davidion said:
Ahahahahaha, considering that the 3GS hacks up a lung trying to run ios4, it's nice that it "has" ios5.
That's bullshit. The 3GS ran iOS4 just fine and, in fact, runs iOS5 much faster even. Have you actually tried it?

It was the 3G that struggled with iOS4 (it was very slow and missing feature). The 3GS, however, had few issues with it and is even better now. It's actually still a very good phone despite its age.

Futureman said:

They don't actually have 3.1 on them yet, despite what the box says. They are supposed to be sold after the 3.1 update launches, which I imagine is soon.

dark10x said:
That's bullshit. The 3GS ran iOS4 just fine and, in fact, runs iOS5 much faster even. Have you actually tried it?

It was the 3G that struggled with iOS4 (it was very slow and missing feature). The 3GS, however, had few issues with it and is even better now. It's actually still a very good phone despite its age.

iOS5 runs pretty janky (at times) on my iPod Touch 4th gen. and iPad 1. I can't imagine it runs better on the 3GS, but you're right, it was the 3G with the crippling issues.

SimleuqiR

sooperkool said:
Are the major sites still actively blocking GoogleTV devices?

I believe they still are. There is a reason Google wants to beef up Youtube with "Channels". Content providers are scare that Google will make TV watching over the internet almost free, while they service you with ads. Pretty much cutting off the cable companies out of the loop.

Google TV and Google Fiber are the boogie men to the Telecom and Cable industry.

kehs

Banned
Raitosaito said:
So is the Nexus Prime is pretty much a Verizon exclusive?

(I mean "Galaxy Nexus")

I don't think I'll ever call it that.

Nobody knows at this point. The ad on verizon's website that said "exclusive" now doesn't say "exclusive".

Raitosaito said:
So is the Nexus Prime is pretty much a Verizon exclusive?

(I mean "Galaxy Nexus")

I don't think I'll ever call it that.

Verizon removed the "Exclusively from Verizon" tag from their website.

I would say that it once was, but now, it's not.

Behold!

nexus-banner.png

AndyD

aka andydumi
Jamesfrom818 said:
Same result here. Maybe Google search filters out the really shitty stuff.

Same here. It must be a bug with that list in particular as the page is supposed to load more when you get to the bottom. If you switch to books category it works fine.

Also I tried "live wallpaper" and it gave me 8000 results and it downloads more just fine, when you get tot he bottom it loads more.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Futureman said:
would you go without your smartphone for 3 months if you got 15 minutes with the NeoGAF Android topic from 2021?

Nope. Because I would read about it and want a future phone. And no one would believe me about anything if I told them. So unless the thread also contains lottery numbers no thank you.

Oh, by the way, if anyone is time travel reading this thread from the past:

Draw Date Powerball is last:
10/26/2011 1 18 21 39 55 6
10/22/2011 3 8 23 30 58 13
10/19/2011 16 26 35 52 58 2

Oh, and send me a check as thanks. PM me for the address.

Futureman

did T-Mobile ever refer to the Nexus S as exclusive? I wonder if Google just asked Verizon to take the "Exclusive" down as it'll obviously come to other carriers eventually.

I'm guessing it's exclusive until early 2012 sometime.

kehs

Banned
AndyD said:
Nope. Because I would read about it and want a future phone.

So...it's like an Android thread in present day?

Futureman said:
did T-Mobile ever refer to the Nexus S as exclusive? I wonder if Google just asked Verizon to take the "Exclusive" down as it'll obviously come to other carriers eventually.

I'm guessing it's exclusive until early 2012 sometime.

N1(GSM) was exclusively sold through Google.

Nexus S (GSM) was exclusively sold through Best Buy.

Nexus S 4G was exclusively sold through Sprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom