• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayb

Futureman said:
did T-Mobile ever refer to the Nexus S as exclusive? I wonder if Google just asked Verizon to take the "Exclusive" down as it'll obviously come to other carriers eventually.

I'm guessing it's exclusive until early 2012 sometime.

If I remember correctly, it was exclusive to best buy at first and best buy marketed as such. I don't think it was ever sold through t-mobile.

anyway, even with the "exclusive" taken off the Verizon GN page it's still probably a timed exclusive. :(

guess I'll have to settle for the GS2 on t-mobile. don't think I can wait until 2012 to replace my POS mytouch 3G.

gcubed

FindMyFarms said:
Which phone has the more impressive innards, the upcoming razr or the bionic?

innards as in SOC? Almost exactly the same, but the razr has the same chipset (4430) clocked at 1.2ghz vs 1 in the bionic. The razr has a better screen also

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
sooperkool said:
Are the major sites still actively blocking GoogleTV devices?

With a little footwork, you can find tv shows and live stuff on google tv. I love it now and it's not rooted.

D'ultimate said:
Android Fragmentation

http://media.theunderstatement.com/016a_android_orphans.png

The announcement that Nexus One users won’t be getting upgraded to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich led some to justifiably question Google’s support of their devices. I look at it a little differently: Nexus One owners are lucky. I’ve been researching the history of OS updates on Android phones and Nexus One users have fared much, much better than most Android buyers.

I went back and found every Android phone shipped in the United States1 up through the middle of last year. I then tracked down every update that was released for each device - be it a major OS upgrade or a minor support patch - as well as prices and release & discontinuation dates. I compared these dates & versions to the currently shipping version of Android at the time. The resulting picture isn’t pretty - well, not for Android users:

Other than the original G1 and MyTouch, virtually all of the millions of phones represented by this chart are still under contract today. If you thought that entitled you to some support, think again:

7 of the 18 Android phones never ran a current version of the OS.
12 of 18 only ran a current version of the OS for a matter of weeks or less.
10 of 18 were at least two major versions behind well within their two year contract period.
11 of 18 stopped getting any support updates less than a year after release.
13 of 18 stopped getting any support updates before they even stopped selling the device or very shortly thereafter.
15 of 18 don’t run Gingerbread, which shipped in December 2010.
In a few weeks, when Ice Cream Sandwich comes out, every device on here will be another major version behind.
At least 16 of 18 will almost certainly never get Ice Cream Sandwich.
Also worth noting that each bar in the chart starts from the first day of release - so it only gets worse for people who bought their phone late in its sales period.

More Here!
looks like someone wasn't pleased with that

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/1...lized-if-you-like-biased-information-that-is/

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So, the guy thinks that only 'flagship' phones should be taken into consideration. That still doesn't refute the fact that Android is pretty fragmented even if it makes the list a bit shorter. His seeming expectancy that the average consumer shoul even be able to tell what is flagship and what isn't is kind of funny, too.

How is the market in ICS? Is it still laggy? Is that a thing that gets better with better hardware acceleration?

I don't think I've read any mention of that and was wondering...

Zefah said:
So, the guy thinks that only 'flagship' phones should be taken into consideration. That still doesn't refute the fact that Android is pretty fragmented even if it makes the list a bit shorter. His seeming expectancy that the average consumer shoul even be able to tell what is flagship and what isn't is kind of funny, too.
i disagree with you on one thing... yes, the average consumer knows what is flagship and what isn't.

gcubed

Zefah said:
Virtually the entire article is a pile of shit. Virtually

The entire notion that the average customer knows what version they run vs what's available is kinda funny too

-Pyromaniac- said:
How is the market in ICS? Is it still laggy? Is that a thing that gets better with better hardware acceleration?

I don't think I've read any mention of that and was wondering...

No, I think it's still a bit laggy. Something to do with the way it was built. All the other core apps are smooth. It's fine once all the images are loaded, but that takes time. It's my major bug with the market, apart from the lack of powerful search tools within that.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Got my first Android phone today. The Xperia Arc. I'll just say this as a completely subjective opinion: It's so much better than my iPhone 3GS. God damn. Widgets are rocking my world.

Granted it was quite buggy at first but updating it solved the issues I had.

OriginalThinking said:
No, I think it's still a bit laggy. Something to do with the way it was built. All the other core apps are smooth. It's fine once all the images are loaded, but that takes time. It's my major bug with the market, apart from the lack of powerful search tools within that.
yeah it's pretty annoying but whatever, it's manageable but lag free is always better, seems like an odd way to build it if it's going to do that.

kehs

Banned
They went a little crazy with the Market pictures. I think if they tweak their caching a little bit it might help, but it tends to want to reload pictures at every swipe.

Copernicus said:
They went a little crazy with the Market pictures. I think if they tweak their caching a little bit it might help, but it tends to want to reload pictures at every swipe.

Yup. Plus android doesn't cache textures, it caches listviews. Which is why it has do do shit like redraw widgets and images, which in itself creates lag. But on Google music it scrolls smoothly even if all the images aren't loaded for artwork. It needs tweaked anyway. It's also the little hiccups when swiping side to side. It's not smooth like when you scroll side to side in Google + or Music. The Android Market team really need to get on that. I hope Duarte is having serious words.

Reddit User said:
So let's see if I understand this correctly.
iOS caches the contents of views as textures in RAM and updates those textures only when needed
Hardware-accelerated Android caches the contents of views as display lists, and when an update is required it still has to redraw the whole hierarchy using those display lists. This is faster than re-running the drawing code, but not as fast as simply painting a texture.

OriginalThinking said:
Yup. Plus android doesn't cache textures, it caches listviews. Which is why it has do do shit like redraw widgets and images, which in itself creates lag. But on Google music it scrolls smoothly even if all the images aren't loaded for artwork. It needs tweaked anyway. It's also the little hiccups when swiping side to side. It's not smooth like when you scroll side to side in Google + or Music. The Android Market team really need to get on that. I hope Duarte is having serious words.
ah, I see. Sounds shitty. Hopefully they plan on revamping that in the future, preferably the near future.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Just got my Galaxy S2 Epic. Damn thing is snappy. Nice screen, wish it was fatter but what can you do. Everything good so far. Loving the Android apps. So many to choose. I need a case for it. any recommendations?

Cipherr

Relix said:
Just got my Galaxy S2 Epic. Damn thing is snappy. Nice screen, wish it was fatter but what can you do. Everything good so far. Loving the Android apps. So many to choose. I need a case for it. any recommendations?

predatorzero_sliver1.jpg

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
^^ For Epic 4G too? If so... where?? That seems for the international or non Epic edition which is my problem :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Relix said:
I think there's a thread out there but here's what I use pretty regularly:
-Kindle
-Baseball Superstars II
-DoggCatcher (podcasts)
-Emissary of War (game)
-Google+ (instant upload is nice)
-Grand Prix Story
-Jelly Defense
-Last.fm
-Netflix
-Pure Messenger (twitter & other scrollable widget)
-Wind-Up Knight (spiffy new game)

kehs

Banned
[Privacy Advisory] Dolphin HD Sends URL Of Every Page You Visit To A Remote Server (In Plain-Text)

As it turns out, Dolphin HD, one of the top browsers the Android platform has to offer, sends pretty much every web page url you visit, including those that start with https, to a remote server en.mywebzines.com, which belongs to the company. In fact, the WebZines feature was introduced only recently back in June with version 6.0, so it's safe to say this tracking started around the same time.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/1...e-you-visit-to-a-remote-server-in-plain-text/

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
OMG version 2 of the Note is going to be bananas.

Circle T

Jtwo said:
OMG version 2 of the Note is going to be bananas.
Yea, the closer it gets, the more excited I am for it. This paragraph in that SlashGear story really makes me happy....

SlashGear said:
We were impressed by the inking experience back in our initial hands-on with the Note at IFA, and this latest software build doesn’t disappoint either. The touchscreen uses a Wacom digitizer, which recognizes pressure as well as touch, and the responsiveness and clarity is brilliant. Unlike, say, the HTC Flyer which can show some disconnect between the nib of the pen and where on-screen inking occurs, as well as jaggedness in the final pen-strokes, Samsung’s implementation is flaw-free and smooth.

Cipherr

The note is a monster. I was all for it at first, but now, I dunno, that somebitch is huge. Might be a bit to uncomfortable to pocket in certain attire.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Goddamn I want that Note so badly. Can't decide if the hugeness will be a problem.

EDIT: Good god its 1000 dollars? Oh well, so much for that.

artist

Banned
I just jumped on the Android bandwagon after 3 years of using iOS .. did NOT have a good day. There are things I like how Android does better but still the overall experience is .. :/

irfan said:
I just jumped on the Android bandwagon after 3 years of using iOS .. did NOT have a good day. There are things I like how Android does better but still the overall experience is .. :/

Wait and get ICS. I love both of the mobile OS, but after trying ICS I think you'll probably like it just as much.

The list of improvements and just the UI will probably be to your taste. I think..

artist

Banned
Raitosaito said:
Wait and get ICS. I love both of the mobile OS, but after trying ICS I think you'll probably like it just as much.

The list of improvements and just the UI will probably be to your taste. I think..
Got the Galaxy S. Can I install ICS on it? If yes, I'm going to try it over the weekend.

a176

Banned
irfan said:

thanks for letting us know what things you liked and didn't like!

jokkir

How is the Nexus S? I'm getting it soon but wanted some impressions first. Do you think it will support ICS or not?

I'd rather get the Galaxy Nexus but this will do for now.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
irfan said:
Got the Galaxy S. Can I install ICS on it? If yes, I'm going to try it over the weekend.

I don't think its out yet. Will take a while for an official build but I guess unofficial ROMS will be released for it right? Can we even talk about that here? Sorry, new to this scene. XD!

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
jokkir said:
How is the Nexus S? I'm getting it soon but wanted some impressions first. Do you think it will support ICS or not?

I'd rather get the Galaxy Nexus but this will do for now.
Google confirmed that the Nexus S will get ICS.

Circle T

Relix said:
I don't think its out yet. Will take a while for an official build but I guess unofficial ROMS will be released for it right? Can we even talk about that here? Sorry, new to this scene. XD!
Absolutely!! Custom ROMs are one of the best things about Android, for me personally. I love messing with all the different things devs do.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Circle T said:
Absolutely!! Custom ROMs are one of the best things about Android, for me personally. I love messing with all the different things devs do.

What are some things to do with a newly rooted phone? I Just installed Cm7 on mine.

zoku88

Relix said:
Haha, it's not like custom ROMs are illegal lol

Kagami

OK so, I live in the U.S. and would like to order an unlocked Galaxy Note to use on AT&T.
Never done this before. Any recommendations on places to shop?
eBay? Expansys USA? Clove? MobiCity? Amazon? (not listed on U.S. Amazon yet)

daoster

About to root and flash a new ROM for my friend's EVO.

Anybody got any suggestions as to what ROM to use? Right now, I'm thinking between CM7.1 or MikG 2.58, but would love to hear the thoughts of actual EVO users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom