• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

a176 said:
thanks for letting us know what things you liked and didn't like!

Thats not really fair dude.

Honestly irfan its a shame you werent able to get something more recent than the Nexus S. If I could have recommended something, it would have been something, damn near anything that launched after May or so this year. But the Nexus S will get ICS, so I guess theres that. But still... Im personally not a big fan of the S.

dream

to be fair, isn't the free and open exchange of information (including what deviant sites we visit) at the very heart of open nature of Android?

artist

Banned
Cipherr said:
Thats not really fair dude.
My gripes are common, that are already mentioned a million times already on here.

Cipherr said:
Honestly irfan its a shame you werent able to get something more recent than the Nexus S. If I could have recommended something, it would have been something, damn near anything that launched after May or so this year. But the Nexus S will get ICS, so I guess theres that. But still... Im personally not a big fan of the S.
I signed up with a small carrier (AWS) and that was my only decent option. The other "top-tier" Android phone they had was the HTC Panache (4G) and I read about some reception experiences from other users. Since this carrier is new with a small network, I didnt want to experiment with the Panache.

My only other option is to return this and get another AWS phone .. but first I need to make peace with Android :)

bedlamite said:
That fucking home button on the Note still puts me off, c'mon Samsung enough with the Apple copying already
Honestly I'd like that, regardless of the lack of originality. Too many buttons is one of the reasons that the Android UI bugs me ..

Circle T

Divvy said:
What are some things to do with a newly rooted phone? I Just installed Cm7 on mine.
Well, most of my custom ROM use was simply due to the glacial pace that the carriers updated the original US Galaxy S hardware. I originally just wanted to get Froyo on my Captivate, and that was my gateway drug. Now, though, it is mostly just to get rid of the stock firmware/bloatware on my phones. I'm running GummyCharged on my Droid Charge, and MiUi on my Captivate. It's nice to have options.

kehs

Banned
dream said:
to be fair, isn't the free and open exchange of information (including what deviant sites we visit) at the very heart of open nature of Android?

<3

E: Did you try out the theme I posted in the HP thread?

dream

Copernicus said:
<3

E: Did you try out the theme I posted in the HP thread?

No, did you find me an Instapaper client?

edit: installing that theme now, if it steals my logins I will hate you forever

same "improperly compiled" error

Can someone recommended and preferably link me to an 8 GB micro SD for my galaxy s 2? Reading reviews on amazon has scared me about looking for one. Bulk packaging? No warranty? Failure after 3 months? Fuck that

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Shepard said:
Damn I really want to root my phone, but doing that I'd void my 2 year-warranty :/. Sucks.

Barring any serious fuck-ups you can always revert to a stock unrooted version, can't you?

November is the month of the Galaxy Note: November 1 to be more precise for Germany, November 2 for the U.K., and the rest of the world throughout November. This baby packs a 5.3-inch Super AMOLED screen with 800 x 1280 resolution, 1.4GHz dual-core Exynos processor, front facing two-megapixel camera for video chat and a rear facing eight-megapixel camera with LED flash, in addition to the good old stylus (S-Pen).
http://pocketnow.com/android/samsung-officially-announces-galaxy-note-availability

JonnyBrad

More complete fucking fail from the powers that be at Google/Samsung.

The carriers seem to now be confirming that the 32GB Galaxy Nexus will not be coming to the UK. So we can only buy the 16GB version.

-1 Customer there chaps bravo.

edit: this was meant for the G-Nexus thread.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
JonnyBrad said:

The carriers seem to now be confirming that the 32GB Galaxy Nexus will not be coming to the UK. So we can only buy the 16GB version.

Well, that leaves me still looking for my next new phone. :)

To be honest, no external SD slot was a bit of a painful call anyway.

JonnyBrad

iapetus said:
Well, that leaves me still looking for my next new phone. :)

To be honest, no external SD slot was a bit of a painful call anyway.

I could handle 32GB with no sd but 16gb would mean i need to carry around a music player. I hate to bring apple up but they release all the versions same day. I'm sure the 32GB will come out sometime next year but by then it'll be too late for me.

I don't know who makes these decisions, and whether samsung pushing to gimp features so the gs2 doesn't stop selling. Or whether Verizon have an exclusive for the 32GB. (Which is fucking ridiculous in the context of Europe) But its leading to stupid decisions like this.

Pull your ear our google this is your flagship phone and you're fucking it up!

JonnyBrad said:

Is this a UK only thing or will the rest of europe get the 32GB one?

JonnyBrad said:

Hmmm, wonder if unlocked 32gb models will hit retail here?

No micro sd slot is a shitty decision thougg, perhaps waiting for galaxy s 3 (or any other dual core, hd screen monster) is the way forward.

Edit : 16gb model is on amazon uk at £550...... Ffffuuuu.

gcubed

I wonder if the 32gb is only for the LTE model? That would be the only way you can have America have the exclusive on it

Engadget's Galaxy Note review.

Wrap-Up

The Galaxy Note is one of those devices that you'll either completely love, or totally hate -- its sheer size alone will certainly be a barrier for those with smaller hands (or pockets). With the Note, Samsung has managed to create one of the world's largest smartphones, but cunningly it's also an incredibly compact tablet with a high-resolution display -- the same as the Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet -- without the high-resolution footprint. It's compact enough to slip in your pocket and powerful enough to replace both of your portable devices. Still, it won't be for everyone. This is one case where you'll definitely want to get your own hands on one before signing up to any two-year commitments, if only to see if it will fit in your hands as well as your budget.

Pros
  • Excellent performance
  • Enormous, high-res Super AMOLED display
  • S Pen is a clever, no-compromise addition

Cons
  • May be too large for some
  • Awkward to use as a telephone handset
  • S Pen button rather too small

Bottomline

Samsung's Galaxy Note is massively good but simply too massive for some.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/28/samsung-galaxy-note-review/

JonnyBrad

gcubed said:
Gotta make that lte tax worth it. No idea why they wouldn't have an option on it for everyone else. I don't use anywhere close to even 16

Why would what Verizon does in the states matter over here though. Its a completely separate market. What would Verizon gain by blocking the 32GB model in Europe...

gcubed

JonnyBrad said:
Why would what Verizon does in the states matter over here though. Its a completely separate market. What would Verizon gain by blocking the 32GB model in Europe...
No idea. I don't think Verizon had much to do with it. Maybe they asked to get 32 in their device since they probably had a hand in making it, but maybe Samsung didn't want to manage 3 models.

JonnyBrad

D'ultimate said:
Why is it so strongly assumed that the Verizon Nexus will be 32GB?

Thisismynext said it in their podcast. Its also the only other version of the phone. As UK/european version will be the same one that will hit AT&T et al. As it has all the GSM Frequencies.

I hope this is all just FUD. But it doesn't smell good at all right now. I'll be waiting for the GS2 cm9 if there is no 32gb model here. I don't understand why they would announce to the world it was coming in 16/32 flavours and then fail to release one version in huge markets!

ok my adventures of tinkering with the nexus s continues.

Any good Camera apps?

The stock Camera app is a bit basic for my tastes. Even my old shitty Wildfire had more settings like saturation / iso.

All the top photography market apps are just Hipster filters so any gaf recommendations would be great.

Cdammen

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and I am thinking of rooting it. Is it possible to install official vanilla gingerbread on it and then upgrade to ICS or does the upgrade process check for phone model when updating.

gcubed

Android 3.1 on GoogleTV this weekend. FINALLY. I want to see how it performs.

Man, who wrote that shitty highly informative article on fragmentation. Can we put the googletv on there? Updating to 3.1 and 4.0 is releasing in 2 weeks. MOAR!

Agentnibs

SimleuqiR said:
Fuuuuuuu!

Screw LG, I mean how hard can it be? G2x is 99% stock android for crying out loud. Well at least devs will pick up where LG left off but it's still so disappointing. G2x will be the last LG phone I'll ever own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom