• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

daoster said:
About to root and flash a new ROM for my friend's EVO.

Anybody got any suggestions as to what ROM to use? Right now, I'm thinking between CM7.1 or MikG 2.58, but would love to hear the thoughts of actual EVO users.

CM is good, I had it for about a year. Switched to MIUI and I prefer that.

kehs

Banned
Dolphin Browser update

At Dolphin, privacy and user safety has always been (and will continue to be) our top priority.

A few days ago, it was called to our attention that our newest version of Dolphin HD for Android 7.0 relays browsing information to a Webzine-specific URL. This information was never stored on our servers, and no browsing information has been captured about our users.

Webzine simply performs an ancillary check if we can view current webpage in Webzine format . It is not critical and we have temporary removed this functionality in our latest update yesterday.
As background, with Dolphin HD for Android 7.0 we rolled out a handful of updates to our popular Webzine feature. One of these is a “Toggle Webzine” button to view your current webpage as a Webzine. With roughly 300 Webzines supported at the moment, it was necessary for the client to check the current user URL against a database housing these 300 Webzine columns, which is what user Fnorder at XDA-Developers referred to. None of these URLs have ever been stored by Dolphin, instead being used to cross-index if a Webzine for the current site exists. If it does, the current site is immediately converted to Webzine format; if not, it remains the standard mobile site. Again, none of this process is stored on the backend of our servers and we are deeply sorry that this was not made clear to our users from the beginning.
In terms of security, on a scale from one to ten, this is a zero. Dolphin does not store browsing history nor user personal information and we have never done so in the past.
While it has been immediately disabled, we do think that the “Toggle Webzine” feature is a useful one for exploring the Web and will be adding an “opt-in” feature in forthcoming releases to enable this function. The code and URL-checking process will be made very clear to users, and will only be enabled if a user wishes.
Again, our update last night have temporary removed this functionality to avoid any confusion or concern you may have.
We are delighted that our user community is growing to new heights daily. We continue to learn from you, our users, and will always be responsive to your comments and suggestion. Webzine is one of our favorite features, and we look forward to your continuous suggestion Please contact support@dolphin-browser.com.
Thanks,
Dolphin Team

http://blog.dolphin-browser.com/2011/10/27/webzine-does-not-store-user-data/

However, this is something that should be done in app, instead of on their servers.

-Download a list of ezines, check it before it leaves the device and then do your webzine thing. -

All they've done is explain and not actually done anything.

Agentnibs said:
Screw LG, I mean how hard can it be? G2x is 99% stock android for crying out loud. Well at least devs will pick up where LG left off but it's still so disappointing. G2x will be the last LG phone I'll ever own.
iirc, the Optimus 2x uses LG's UI, while the G2x is near stock.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
What's inside:

Silicon

CPU: Exynos 4210 (same as Galaxy S II), running at 1.4GHz; 2786.91 BogoMIPS
GPU: ARM Mali-400 MP
WiFi / Bluetooth module: Broadcom BCM4330 (same as Galaxy S II and Galaxy Nexus)
Audio codec: Yamaha C1YMU823 / MC-1N2 (Same as Galaxy S II)
FM radio receiver: Si4709
HDMI: Silicon Image MHD Sil9234 transmitter over MHL (same as Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy S II)
USB switch: Fairchild Semiconductors FSA9480 (industry standard)
Battery charger: SUMMIT Microelectronics SMB136 / SMB328
NFC controller: NXP PN544
Power management: Maxim MAX8997

Sensors

Barometer / pressure sensor: STMicroelectronics LPS331AP
Gyroscope sensor: K3G (same as the Galaxy S II)
Compass: Chipworks AKM-AKM8975 Electronic Compass
Finger Touch sensor: Atmel MXT540E
Stylus: Wacom E-Pen G5SP sensor

Misc. internals

Device name: GT-N7000
Rear camera: Fujitsu M5MO LS 8MP
Front camera: Samsung S5K5BAF 2MP
Linux Kernel: 2.6.35.7
Android: 2.3.5, built October 8, 2011
LCD Density: 320dpi
Refresh rate: 60Hz
Image processor: Samsung mDNIe image converter (same as Galaxy S II)
Frequency scaler: Ondemand

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/28/behind-the-glass-a-detailed-tour-inside-the-samsung-galaxy-note/

gcubed

josephdebono said:
By the way, am I mistaken or did Google say that they're going to slow down the release cycle last IO?

they did say that. We will see if they follow through at the next IO.

Zeppu

gcubed said:
they did say that. We will see if they follow through at the next IO.

I think it makes sense to release a point version next IO and then follow up with a major upgrade every year (on IO). I think considering the overhaul they did this time they're going to have to release another revision fairly soon to finish off anything they might have missed.

They do release Nexuses in Q4 so maybe not.

Zeppu

OriginalThinking said:
If I'm not mistaken they are all dual core devices. Dual core or bust. Unless you have a Samsung Nexus S. Going to be interesting to see how ICS performs on a single core device.

I bet you one (1) US dollar that it will 'run' on my HTC Hero.

Shiggy

brotkasten said:

I just can't decide whether to get this one or the S2, especially with these great reviews and the S Pen (I don't really like on-screen keyboards). Still, I put my phone into my pockets, thus the Note might be too large. Maybe the price will drop further in the next few weeks... if there's the S2 for 430 € vs. the Note for 500 € I might go for the latter.

So, uh... Nook Color 2 shipping on November 7th?

According to The Digital Reader, Barnes & Noble will begin shipping out its all new and improved Nook Color 2 to stores on November 7th. Apparently, B&N will be sprucing up their in-store Nook kiosk to more of an actual department complete with LED TV’s and registers for checking out customers on the spot. Still left up in the air are specs and pricing, heck — this may no longer even be an Android device but given the success and versatility of the OS — and the fact they used it in the “old one,” I don’t see them moving onto something else. B&N has also been kicking up development for the e-reader/tablet, most likely in anticipation of this new model. Let’s see if they be able to pack enough punch in this thing to compete with Amazon’s hugely successful Kindle Fire. Gotta love competition.

When are they planning on announcing this thing? That's... in two weeks!

Shiggy said:
I just can't decide whether to get this one or the S2, especially with these great reviews and the S Pen (I don't really like on-screen keyboards). Still, I put my phone into my pockets, thus the Note might be too large. Maybe the price will drop further in the next few weeks... if there's the S2 for 430 € vs. the Note for 500 € I might go for the latter.
get the s2

-Pyromaniac- said:
hahah that guy is exactly why I hate the note. I'm anti-big phones. I hate that trend. I'm selfish.

I want him to get one for purely selfish reasons. To see someone actually make a call on one without using a bluetooth headset. I had a friend who had that Dell 5 inch phone (the streak?) and it was ridiculously large. But this thing has a 5"3 inch screen. I want to see someone rock that like a boss.

OriginalThinking said:
I want him to get one for purely selfish reasons. To see someone actually make a call on one without using a bluetooth headset. I had a friend who had that Dell 5 inch phone (the streak?) and it was ridiculously large. But this thing has a 5"3 inch screen. I want to see someone rock that like a boss.
goddd if I saw someone using the dell streak in real life I'd face palm it all the way home.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
OriginalThinking said:

The Note is actually smaller (but wider) than the Streak :p

DrFunk said:
The Note is actually smaller (but wider) than the Streak :p

It's the width that makes it ridiculous though. Apart from the fact that it must be really difficult to grip it with one hand in the traditional 'phone to ear' pose it would just look totally bonkers. I hope Samsung are bundling this with a bluetooth earpiece. They are aiming for a niche market which isn't even proven to exist.

gcubed

josephdebono said:
I think it makes sense to release a point version next IO and then follow up with a major upgrade every year (on IO). I think considering the overhaul they did this time they're going to have to release another revision fairly soon to finish off anything they might have missed.

They do release Nexuses in Q4 so maybe not.
If you don't count honeycomb then it was a year between releases

Blackhead

Redarse
SimleuqiR said:
Looks like it's fashionable in the Android world to announce new products without much info. :-/
They haven't announced it yet. B&N is actually great with giving out the pricing and release dates when announcing their gadgets.

Circle T

OriginalThinking said:
It's the width that makes it ridiculous though. Apart from the fact that it must be really difficult to grip it with one hand in the traditional 'phone to ear' pose it would just look totally bonkers. I hope Samsung are bundling this with a bluetooth earpiece. They are aiming for a niche market which isn't even proven to exist.
As someone who makes all of about 5 minutes of calls each month, the G-Note is perfect for me. Thus, when the white one is available, I'm buying :)

I had some difficulty choosing either the GSII or the GNote, but I'm glad I chose the GSII, as it is quite big in my pocket and I had some difficulty to hold it in my head while making a call (and I don't have small hands), I can't imagine how it would be for the Note.
But it must be great to use for everything non phone-related.

3phemeral

Can someone explain the benefit of sideloading for me?

Seems like just an alternative way to install apps rather than using market. How is this any different from having a folder of backed-up apks that I can install on demand?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You can install things not offered on the market.

Example: Two years ago when I got my Droid I bought a GBA emulator and a Genesis emulator. Google has since pulled them from the market for whatever reason, but since I still own the license I can track down the .apks from the developers and install them still.

3phemeral

Jtwo said:
You can install things not offered on the market.

Example: Two years ago when I got my Droid I bought a GBA emulator and a Genesis emulator. Google has since pulled them from the market for whatever reason, but since I still own the license I can track down the .apks from the developers and install them still.
Ah, I see. I haven't bought anything that's suffered that fate yet. But I can see how that's a benefit. It initially came off to me as just another option to do the same thing I can currently do with 3 different Markets to choose from.

Circle T

3pheMeraLmiX said:
Ah, I see. I haven't bought anything that's suffered that fate yet. But I can see how that's a benefit. It initially came off to me as just another option to do the same thing I can currently do with 3 different Markets to choose from.
It also works well for apps you don't get from any of the markets. Case in point, this news story today....

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/1...locking-tethering-apps-in-the-android-market/

Even though all the major US carriers are blocking access to tethering apps, you can still get them....

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list

....and then sideload the app to your phone. That is precisely how I got my tethering app for my Charge.

Similarly, sideloading works well for trying new apps, like the updated Gmail, Google Music, Market, etc when they leak out early.

artist

Banned
Day 2 with Android. I cant even make through a day with a fully charged battery. I used my phone for around 2-3 hrs (screen was 40% brightness), mostly just browsing the Market app and installing a few apps (downloading through 3G). Near the end I was convinced it was some BS services in the background that were draining the battery so I downloaded a Task Manager just before the battery died ..

Do I really need a task manager and need to worry about the battery usage so much? I thought managing my minutes, data with the service provider was enough but now this. :|

irfan said:
Day 2 with Android. I cant even make through a day with a fully charged battery. I used my phone for around 2-3 hrs (screen was 40% brightness), mostly just browsing the Market app and installing a few apps (downloading through 3G). Near the end I was convinced it was some BS services in the background that were draining the battery so I downloaded a Task Manager just before the battery died ..

Do I really need a task manager and need to worry about the battery usage so much? I thought managing my minutes, data with the service provider was enough but now this. :|

Task managers will make things worse.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
irfan said:

you should get an iphone 4s heard it's got an awesome battery

artist

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
Task managers will make things worse.
What would you recommend?

AstroLad said:
you should get an iphone 4s heard it's got an awesome battery
I'm coming off an iPhone 3G so yeah I'm missing its battery life pretty badly. I read in the 4S thread that the new 4S owners arent faring a whole lot better that my current experience with Android ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom