• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english

tino

Banned
I have been thinking, its interesting how google rotate from different handset makers and chipsets makers to release its "milestone" android devices.

G1: HTC, Qualcomm
Droid: Moto, TI OMAP
Nexus 1: HTC, Qualcomm
Nexus S: Samsung, Samsung Exynos
Xoom: Moto, nVidia Tegra 2
Galaxy Nexus: Samsung, TI OMAP

Google is probably increasingly leaning on OEM and component makers that can give it exclusive windows. I won't be surprise to see intel in the next major tablet release. And I can see its harder and harder for HTC to get a new nexus decive. If LG can put out some good hardware components for google they may get the next Nexus before HTC.

artist

Banned
Copernicus said:
What do you have setup to get stuff in the background?

emails/facebook/twitter/etc?
I have GMail app running in the background. Tried to kill the rest of the apps but they keep reappearing. Going to try Juice defender now, thanks Vic.

Blackhead

Redarse
Zombie James said:
Do they talk about update plans?
Good question. I don't recall seeing a mention of that. Kobo have been pretty good with support for their eink ereaders, and they haven't customized Android too deeply, so I'd expect the Kobo Vox to get a ICS update at some point. By contrast Amazon has been characteristically mum about any update plans (does the Kindle Fire even run Android ;P) whereas B&N were very vocal about their update plans when launching the Nook Color—then again, the Nook Touch launched with Android 2.1 when 2.2 had been available for months and Google had already announced 2.3 and 3.0, so B&N needed to promise updates to enable consumer confidence. Props to B&N for delivering on their promises.
3pheMeraLmiX said:
Ah, I see. I haven't bought anything that's suffered that fate yet. But I can see how that's a benefit. It initially came off to me as just another option to do the same thing I can currently do with 3 different Markets to choose from.
Did your device come with three different Markets or did you sideload one or more of those Markets? Markets are apps too ;).

kehs

Banned
irfan said:
I have GMail app running in the background. Tried to kill the rest of the apps but they keep reappearing. Going to try Juice defender now, thanks Vic.

You don't need to worry about apps "running" in the background, that actually ends up using more battery because the system is going to reload them anyways. That's how android is designed to work, and it's the reason a task killer is counter productive.

What I was asking more about was whether you have those apps polling for data at short intervals.

That type of stuff kills battery life.

artist

Banned
Copernicus said:
You don't need to worry about apps "running" in the background, that actually ends up using more battery because the system is going to reload them anyways. That's how android is designed to work, and it's the reason a task killer is counter productive.

What I was asking more about was whether you have those apps polling for data at short intervals.

That type of stuff kills battery life.
Just GMail and Facebook.

edit: Is there an Android app recommendation thread?

Quick

Banned
Greyface said:
Video Review of the Kobo Vox: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JBVZhhvY2E

Comes with getjar and allows sideloading apps. A different approach to Amazon and B&N but I don't think many people care about that...

I almost bought it today, but I decided I needed to do more research.

I asked this earlier, and didn't get a response, but are any Android devices rootable? If so, I'm just about sold on the Kobo Vox.

I'm also a bit concerned on the 6-hour battery life (with Wi-Fi switched off). For the price ($199), I'd like to say that it's reasonable, but is that an average battery life for that kind of device?

3phemeral

Circle T said:
It also works well for apps you don't get from any of the markets. Case in point, this news story today....

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/1...locking-tethering-apps-in-the-android-market/

Even though all the major US carriers are blocking access to tethering apps, you can still get them....

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list

....and then sideload the app to your phone. That is precisely how I got my tethering app for my Charge.

Similarly, sideloading works well for trying new apps, like the updated Gmail, Google Music, Market, etc when they leak out early.

Greyface said:
Did your device come with three different Markets or did you sideload one or more of those Markets? Markets are apps too ;).

Thanks, both, for the additional responses.

I guess I've been sideloading this entire time without even knowing it.
KuGsj.gif

I guess it confused me because I don't recall there ever being a name for it until recently. I was all like, "I don't get dis here newfangled youngin' tawk."

Blackhead

Redarse
Quick said:
I almost bought it today, but I decided I needed to do more research.

I asked this earlier, and didn't get a response, but are any Android devices rootable? If so, I'm just about sold on the Kobo Vox.

I'm also a bit concerned on the 6-hour battery life (with Wi-Fi switched off). For the price ($199), I'd like to say that it's reasonable, but is that an average battery life for that kind of device?
Kobo's website says 7 hrs with Wifi off. Amazon and BN say 8 hrs for their tablet. Kobo's might be a low estimate; the video says the device lasted the whole day. It really depends on how hard you're pushing the device—none of the ereaders will last even 6 hrs if you'll playing a 3D game, music blasting and all, with the brightness maxed out.

If you're in the USA I'd urge you to wait till the first weeks of November for B&N to announce their new generation tablet and for the first reviews of the Kindle Fire to start trickling in. If you're not in the USA then the Kobo Vox is the best ereader tablet you're going to find on offer this Christmas.

artist

Banned
nolookjones said:
same isnt it awesome having ul data in canada?
Its awesome when it works. The performance isnt consistent in the past couple of days I've tested, getting network timeouts, 30k-1M speeds depending on where I was. I never went out of their zone so I'm not that impressed. I'm guessing its the same (if slightly better) with WIND.

Copernicus said:
Thanks.

Nemesis_

Hey guys, runing a HTC Desire HD.

Anyone know of some good custom lock screens? I want something pretty stylish and very smooth, if possible. Are lock screens even worth it?

Finally, anyone got a good messaging app? The stock one is okay but there's this weird glitch where anyone with an iPhone has their messages appear as five minutes before my clock, and when I reply straight away it ruins the order of the message list.......I tried Handcent but it seems pretty fugly.

irfan said:
Its awesome when it works. The performance isnt consistent in the past couple of days I've tested, getting network timeouts, 30k-1M speeds depending on where I was. I never went out of their zone so I'm not that impressed. I'm guessing its the same (if slightly better) with WIND.

Thanks.

yes the speeds do vary and are not as consistant for me as rogers...but for paying $23/month for basically unlimited everything im willing to put up with a few glitches...

its really nice to listen to streaming radio when walking to work...ive always had such low caps on my data plans so have never been able to do this...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
facebook makes terrible apps. i messed around with it for like an hour but stopped using it for that and a variety of other reasons.

Blackhead

Redarse
Good article over at Tested.com:
Android Fragmentation, That Nasty Infographic, and The Art of Spin
The failure of these devices is not a failure of Android per se; it’s failure due to bad design choices. Luckily, almost no one bought these devices because of those same poor choices. The OEMs involved actually worked to update these phones, and it became apparent an update would not have been advantageous.

The hardware just wasn’t there to properly run newer software. Motorola tried to get the Cliq XT updated, but abandoned the project when performance was worse than the old version. Samsung too had to eat some humble pie when the Behold II failed to live up to newer versions of Android. For all the anger over missing updates, these phones worked better without them.

When a phone is just not very good, updating can be worse than not. The chart in question pits Android handsets against the iPhone, but there are some iPhone 3G owners that might wish Apple hadn’t pushed iOS4 to them. The performance issues were no secret on the internet. The drive to keep its platform unified at all costs actually hurt the user experience for some users of older phones.

Basically, when a phone doesn’t get updates, it’s usually not Google or Android you should be mad at. It’s the specific device and the poor hardware the manufacturer chose.
There are times when a phone should get an update, and it just isn’t. The Droid Charge is still on Android 2.2, and that is ridiculous. This is the real issue with Android updates, not that the HTC Hero was only updated once. When a phone was sold as high-end, it should not languish for months on end. But likewise, it should not launch on old software.

Android lets manufacturers make all kinds of phones, and some of them are low-end. We need to realize that, and know that they might not get updates. If you bought a $50 iPhone 3GS a few weeks ago, would it be reasonable to expect two years of updates? Probably not, and the same goes for an Android phone with similarly slow internals and a low price.

This infographic makes some points, as indicated above, very well. But it’s not the first to make those points, and actually goes off the rails discussing things like the fact that Android phone prices often end in 99-cents, as in $199.99. That is not, as the author points out, a warning sign of being "nickel and dimed"; it’s just confirmation bias.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Pro-Android. Accusation of spin while at the same time making assumptions on performance when the bootloader is completely locked down and no one outside of the manufacturer was able to test anything. Ryan Whitman.

Yep. Good article.

Futureman

why was the Droid Charge a $300 phone in the first place? Does it even have dual-core?

and fragmentation on Android shouldn't exactly be considered by how many OS updates you get. I'm still on a Froyo Droid X, but enjoying the ICS Music app just fine and dandy. Plus I have all the latest G-apps which is the main thing I care about when having an Android phone.

Donos

Nemesis556 said:
Hey guys, runing a HTC Desire HD.

Anyone know of some good custom lock screens? I want something pretty stylish and very smooth, if possible. Are lock screens even worth it?

Finally, anyone got a good messaging app? The stock one is okay but there's this weird glitch where anyone with an iPhone has their messages appear as five minutes before my clock, and when I reply straight away it ruins the order of the message list.......I tried Handcent but it seems pretty fugly.
Desire hd owner too. GoSms and widgetlocker is all you need (WidgetLocker also without root). And additionally whatsapp but your friends need it too it wont stay free. As Keyboard i recommend swiftkey x (not free)

kehs

Banned
Futureman said:
why was the Droid Charge a $300 phone in the first place? Does it even have dual-core?

and fragmentation on Android shouldn't exactly be considered by how many OS updates you get. I'm still on a Froyo Droid X, but enjoying the ICS Music app just fine and dandy. Plus I have all the latest G-apps which is the main thing I care about when having an Android phone.

LTE tax.

123rl

If the hardware is physically capable then there is no reason to not support the stock version of Android (which is better than the manufacturer-enhanced versions in some cases!). Just let people upgrade. I'm not surprised people root their phones. I had to do it for my 2X. It's a fucking 2.2 phone! I bought it with the promise of Gingerbread by the end of Summer and now it will never come. So I rooted it and installed it myself. Guess what? It ran perfectly and was infinitely better than the LG version.

LG not upgrading the 2X is a fucking joke. I actually have (had) that phone and I'm still on contract with it for another 6 months. It's less than a year old, is STILL on 2.2, and is never going to get ICS. That chart is not biased. It's 100% accurate and you can see people's Android bias from those defending it. But yeah it's my fault for thinking a dual core phone in 2011 is going to still be relevant nine months after I bought it. So I bought an iPhone earlier this month, and the money I got from selling my LG will pay off the remainder of my contract for that phone. So luckily there's no harm done. I will 100% promise to never buy an Android phone again and it isn't because of the software. It's because the manufacturer support is terrible

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'd also like to note that the Cliq XT mentioned in the Tested article (528 MHz Qualcomm MSM7201A ARM11 processor, 256 MB RAM) is running 2.3.7 (a higher version than my HTC Glacier) thanks to CM7.1.

Motorola said it couldn't get it beyond 1.6. Your move, Ryan Whitman. Call me out on my spin while you take manufacturer mouthpieces as a valid defense.

Blackhead

Redarse
Lyphen said:
I'd also like to note that the Cliq XT mentioned in the Tested article (528 MHz Qualcomm MSM7201A ARM11 processor, 256 MB RAM) is running 2.3.7 (a higher version than my HTC Glacier) thanks to CM7.1.

Motorola said it couldn't get it beyond 1.6. Your move, Ryan Whitman. Call me out on my spin while you take manufacturer mouthpieces as a valid defense.
Does CM7 include Motoblur? That's really what the Motorola meant not just plain Jane Android (insert other manufacturers and their respective skins for the excuses of update woes). Which isn't to say that the manufacturers don't ever abandon capable phones--but Ryan already beat me to that point...

Cipherr

Greyface said:
Does CM7 include Motoblur? That's really what the Motorola meant not just plain Jane Android (insert other manufacturers and their respective skins for the excuses of update woes). Which isn't to say that the manufacturers don't ever abandon capable phones--but Ryan already beat me to that point...

Pretty much. No manufacturer ships phones with Vanilla Android. They want to stuff their shit on it. If they cant load up their crap on it, and still have it perform right, then they arent going to port it. How you got a nightly to run on an old phone means exactly jack shit in this particular instance. They arent trying to port the vanilla OS, they are trying to port their own monstrosities.

Again, like the article said, perhaps they do leave some phones out to dry, but the only possible source that can tell us whether or not Motoblur could have ported cleanly, and functional is the manufacturer, because they are the ones who operate that loader. You have to make an equal amount of assumptions as the articles writer to say "Motoblur would have ported just fine". Truth is, you dont fucking know, only they do. Accusing the author of eating shit from the manufacturers is a little ridiculous considering there is no other source to go to for information on whether or not Motoblur could have been ported.

Does the audio of this video start out fine, then just shrink during the middle of the video for anyone else? Cant hear shit.

Quick

Banned
Greyface said:
Kobo's website says 7 hrs with Wifi off. Amazon and BN say 8 hrs for their tablet. Kobo's might be a low estimate; the video says the device lasted the whole day. It really depends on how hard you're pushing the device—none of the ereaders will last even 6 hrs if you'll playing a 3D game, music blasting and all, with the brightness maxed out.

If you're in the USA I'd urge you to wait till the first weeks of November for B&N to announce their new generation tablet and for the first reviews of the Kindle Fire to start trickling in. If you're not in the USA then the Kobo Vox is the best ereader tablet you're going to find on offer this Christmas.

Yep, Canadian, so only Kobo for me. I like that there's expandable storage, so I'm not stuck with just 8GB of space. That and Android are probably the biggest selling points for me.

I plan on doing mostly web browsing and reading (surprise!), so 6 hours seems short for doing those, but you're probably right about it being a low estimate.

Futureman

Cipherr said:
Pretty much. No manufacturer ships phones with Vanilla Android. They want to stuff their shit on it. If they cant load up their crap on it, and still have it perform right, then they arent going to port it. How you got a nightly to run on an old phone means exactly jack shit in this particular instance. They arent trying to port the vanilla OS, they are trying to port their own monstrosities.

goes for Google as well now. I'm sure we'll see very competent Nexus One ICS ROMs, though Google has said it isn't possible due to the old tech.

AZ Greg

This is probably more hardware related than software, but what's the best Android phone for watching movies? With a minimum 4.3in screen. Looking for the best combo of that + general phone features. I've been checking out the Galaxy S2, but some of the things I read mentioned that the color accuracy might be off. Now obviously I'm not expecting perfect from a phone, but want to avoid something like that if it's a major problem. The article could have just been exaggerating though. The Galaxy Nexus also looks interesting but not going with Gorilla Glass seems a bit troubling, unless they have something as solid to replace it with.

Anyway, any help is appreciated.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Jesus Christ the Galaxy Note is something that was designed with me specifically in mind. I'm getting this bad boy so hard. Awful support from Samsung for the original Galaxy tho :/

Cipherr

Futureman said:
goes for Google as well now. I'm sure we'll see very competent Nexus One ICS ROMs, though Google has said it isn't possible due to the old tech.

Oh most def, and I think thats why the N1 lack of ICS is most frustrating for people. In that case we have a 1:1 comparison. No variables. If the source for ICS comes out, and it gets dumped and is up and running on a N1 without a bunch of fucked up issues, there will be blood. But in the case of the other manufacturers, there's really no way to know for sure, all we have is their word.

AZ Greg said:
This is probably more hardware related than software, but what's the best Android phone for watching movies? With a minimum 4.3in screen. Looking for the best combo of that + general phone features. I've been checking out the Galaxy S2, but some of the things I read mentioned that the color accuracy might be off. Now obviously I'm not expecting perfect from a phone, but want to avoid something like that if it's a major problem. The article could have just been exaggerating though. The Galaxy Nexus also looks interesting but not going with Gorilla Glass seems a bit troubling, unless they have something as solid to replace it with.

Anyway, any help is appreciated.

I would definitely say the GS2. Where did you hear about color problems from? The GS2 is an impeccable media device. I suppose the Photon and a few upcoming phones like the HTC Vigor would be of interest as well. We just dont know anything about the battery life of the Vigor, but it does have a 720P screen and comparable specs to the Nexus Prime in some ways.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Cipherr said:

Again, like the article said, perhaps they do leave some phones out to dry, but the only possible source that can tell us whether or not Motoblur could have ported cleanly, and functional is the manufacturer, because they are the ones who operate that loader. You have to make an equal amount of assumptions as the articles writer to say "Motoblur would have ported just fine". Truth is, you dont fucking know, only they do. Accusing the author of eating shit from the manufacturers is a little ridiculous considering there is no other source to go to for information on whether or not Motoblur could have been ported.
If you want to go on about how manufacturer bloat is terrible, we can discuss that too, but that wasn't mentioned anywhere in the article and Whitman only addresses how aging hardware "failed to live up to newer versions of Android. For all the anger over missing updates, these phones worked better without them." Going to to say "It’s the specific device and the poor hardware the manufacturer chose."

It's a shitty article by Tested's Android freelancer.

A better one would be more similar to your argument: how modifications and terrible bloated skins added to the AOSP cause fragmentation, needlessly increase development time of patches and leave some devices in the dust before their time is up.

Blackhead

Redarse
123rl said:
If the hardware is physically capable then there is no reason to not support the stock version of Android (which is better than the manufacturer-enhanced versions in some cases!). Just let people upgrade. I'm not surprised people root their phones. I had to do it for my 2X. It's a fucking 2.2 phone! I bought it with the promise of Gingerbread by the end of Summer and now it will never come. So I rooted it and installed it myself. Guess what? It ran perfectly and was infinitely better than the LG version.

LG not upgrading the 2X is a fucking joke. I actually have (had) that phone and I'm still on contract with it for another 6 months. It's less than a year old, is STILL on 2.2, and is never going to get ICS. That chart is not biased. It's 100% accurate and you can see people's Android bias from those defending it. But yeah it's my fault for thinking a dual core phone in 2011 is going to still be relevant nine months after I bought it. So I bought an iPhone earlier this month, and the money I got from selling my LG will pay off the remainder of my contract for that phone. So luckily there's no harm done. I will 100% promise to never buy an Android phone again and it isn't because of the software. It's because the manufacturer support is terrible
did you read the article? did you skip this section (a part I quoted already):

There are times when a phone should get an update, and it just isn’t. The Droid Charge is still on Android 2.2, and that is ridiculous. This is the real issue with Android updates, not that the HTC Hero was only updated once. When a phone was sold as high-end, it should not languish for months on end. But likewise, it should not launch on old software.
You agree more with the author of this article that with the designer of that "100% accurate" chart.

Words cannot stress how important it is for Nexus S owners to let their battery drain to red and then do a full recharge. It really will improve the battery, I guarantee it. For other phones I never noticed a huge deal doing this, but with the Nexus S it made a noticable difference. Battery went from mediocre to usable.

Teetris said:
Jesus Christ the Galaxy Note is something that was designed with me specifically in mind. I'm getting this bad boy so hard. Awful support from Samsung for the original Galaxy tho :/
Their support was fine. It was the US carriers that dropped the ball. How many other year old Android handsets had Gingerbread by April?

AZ Greg

Cipherr said:
I would definitely say the GS2. Where did you hear about color problems from? The GS2 is an impeccable media device. I suppose the Photon and a few upcoming phones like the HTC Vigor would be of interest as well. We just dont know anything about the battery life of the Vigor, but it does have a 720P screen and comparable specs to the Nexus Prime in some ways.

Well it was more a criticism of the super AMOLED in general. Mostly only heard good though. Tempted to grab the Sprint variation.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
brain_stew said:
Their support was fine. It was the US carriers that dropped the ball. How many other year old Android handsets had Gingerbread by April?
?

I had my update mid june

gcubed

brain_stew said:
That's bullshit. Every other manufacturer can update their handsets with the same carriers just fine. Devices that came out well after the galaxy 1 are running gingerbread just fine

kamil

Neo Member
Teetris said:

People often bitch about Samsung support but original Galaxy S got 2 major Android updates. Most of the other manufactures weren't as eager to update, for example HTC Desire got its 2nd update only after community protest and I don't think Desire HD will get anything more than 1 update it already got (I consider both devices flagships). LG is even worse with 2X not getting ICS and maybe not even 2.3. Sony Ericsson seems to have pretty good support since this year, they started to release devices with Gingerbread pretty soon across their whole lineup and all 2011 devices are said to be getting ICS.

gcubed

DrFunk said:
I think he means if you bought the unlocked version, the support was fine. If you got a US carrier version...well...

Also, the engadget review mentioned the Note having the same battery life as an iPad. joy : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1323697
Still Samsung fault. They don't support their products in the US. Anyone who wants to buy their products is fully in the right to question them and their lack of support in the US

kehs

Banned
gcubed said:
Still Samsung fault. They don't support their products in the US. Anyone who wants to buy their products is fully in the right to question them and their lack of support in the US

Not really, Samsung doesn't sell a phone directly to the users in the US, the carriers do.

gcubed

Copernicus said:
Not really, Samsung doesn't sell a phone directly to the users in the US, the carriers do.
That's a pretty silly caveat to use when every other phone manufacturer can work the system just fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom