• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
gcubed said:
That's a pretty silly caveat to use when every other phone manufacturer can work the system just fine
well, the Gingerbread roms have leaked for many US Samsung phones. it's not like they don't exist... who is holding back the US GB!? Samsung? the Carriers? Google?!

Oozer3993

Futureman said:
why was the Droid Charge a $300 phone in the first place? Does it even have dual-core?

LTE + 32GB of storage.

The Faceless Master said:
well, the Gingerbread roms have leaked for many US Samsung phones. it's not like they don't exist... who is holding back the US GB!? Samsung? the Carriers? Google?!

Apple.

Doopliss

AZ Greg said:
This is probably more hardware related than software, but what's the best Android phone for watching movies? With a minimum 4.3in screen. Looking for the best combo of that + general phone features. I've been checking out the Galaxy S2, but some of the things I read mentioned that the color accuracy might be off. Now obviously I'm not expecting perfect from a phone, but want to avoid something like that if it's a major problem. The article could have just been exaggerating though. The Galaxy Nexus also looks interesting but not going with Gorilla Glass seems a bit troubling, unless they have something as solid to replace it with.

Anyway, any help is appreciated.
The GS2 has a 15:9 screen so for widescreen video it's equivalent to a 4.1" screen. Fullscreen video on the G Nexus looks way bigger. AMOLED colours may not be spot on but it won't bother you unless you're a massive videophile. The blacks are awesome.

3phemeral

walbertsmith said:
Posted this in the Nexus Prime thread as well, but figured folks here might appreciate it... best hands on review of the Galaxy Nexus I've seen yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBushsDO2-U
Really nice review. I keep going back and forth between this and the Motorola RAZR.
LLShC.gif

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
walbertsmith said:
Posted this in the Nexus Prime thread as well, but figured folks here might appreciate it... best hands on review of the Galaxy Nexus I've seen yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBushsDO2-U
I can't believe I still have no idea when this phone is headed my way or how it's headed my way. That's such bullshit.

Jake.

i disabled juice defender accidentally on my gs2...and my battery life seems to have improved. also, screen time on/awake now matches up perfectly whereas when JD was on it the phone was awake 3x more than the screen was on. isn't this the OPPOSITE of what is meant to happen!?

either way, its disabled - i had read a few people actually got worse battery life with JD and i am apparently one of them.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Jake. said:
i disabled juice defender accidentally on my gs2...and my battery life seems to have improved. also, screen time on/awake now matches up perfectly whereas when JD was on it the phone was awake 3x more than the screen was on. isn't this the OPPOSITE of what is meant to happen!?

either way, its disabled - i had read a few people actually got worse battery life with JD and i am apparently one of them.
Maybe you didn't configured it properly, just sayin'.

gcubed

Bboy AJ said:
I can't believe I still have no idea when this phone is headed my way or how it's headed my way. That's such bullshit.
November 17th on Verizon. Save your pennies for an unlocked GSM version.

Hey is there a way to sync facebook contacts with phone contacts?

I tried it but it wont link the account to my phone. I try pushing facebook in the accounts and sync menu and nothing happens.

Not sure if its a problem with facebook or Android, google searching just brings up more people with the same problem..... it worked fine on my old phone and I want to sync stuff and have photo's in contact.

zedge

Jake. said:

This is why these apps are BS, and most "reputable" blogs and sites will recommend against them. They are the bane of Android.

jokkir

What's the better phone:: Nexus S or the LG Optimus 2X?

I plan on getting one on Canada's Wind Mobile and these two were their best Android phones. I'm leaning towards the Nexus S because of it being supported by Google, the AMOLED screen, the battery life and whatnot. The Optimus because IIRC it's better spec wise, right? I heard there were problems with it though.

Thanks!

zoku88

jokkir said:

I plan on getting one on Canada's Wind Mobile and these two were their best Android phones. I'm leaning towards the Nexus S because of it being supported by Google, the AMOLED screen, the battery life and whatnot. The Optimus because IIRC it's better spec wise, right? I heard there were problems with it though.

Thanks!
IIRC, the software on the 2X was kind of bad and that the only good version was the T-mo one. That's locked to T-mo though, so you can't use that.

Pctx

Banned
jokkir said:

Thanks!
You'll want the Nexus S for future updates.

123rl

jokkir said:

Thanks!

The LG firmware is poor, it's stuck on 2.2, and will never be updated to ICS...or Gingerbread in some areas. In the UK it is still on 2.2. Take it from someone who owned one, do not buy it. It's a good piece of hardware but it's a dead-end purchase

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
jokkir said:

Thanks!
I'd go with Mobilicity first (their Nexus S is $350 vs. $380), and if you don't like their service, the phone isn't locked and there's no contract, so just switch over to Wind.

25$ unlimited text, talk and data plan is still available too.

Oozer3993

zedge said:
This is why these apps are BS, and most "reputable" blogs and sites will recommend against them. They are the bane of Android.

Juice Defender is not a task killer. It's a power management app and it works for most people, including myself. I've seen markedly improved battery life since installing it.

Donos said:
holy shit at the facial recognition unlock speed (around 1:43 mark)

Fun fact: Google artificially slowed it down because it was so fast, people were doubting it actually did anything.

123rl said:
The LG firmware is poor, it's stuck on 2.2, and will never be updated to ICS...or Gingerbread in some areas. In the UK it is still on 2.2. Take it from someone who owned one, do not buy it. It's a good piece of hardware but it's a dead-end purchase
this.

Can't recommend LG devices to anyone, they drew a line in the sand and it was behind where i was already standing.

123rl

this.

Can't recommend LG devices to anyone, they drew a line in the sand and it was behind where i was already standing.

I genuinely wanted to like the 2X but LG ruined it. If I buy a phone - and a high-end, market-leading phone - then I expect it to still be relevant after six months. the firmware was inferior to stock Android when I got it...and one massive revision behind the rest of the pack...and was never upgraded. Luckily it is very easy to root and a friend did it for me but it was glitchy and error-prone. So my choice was a glitchy experience (cyanogen) or an infuriatingly rubbish one (stock).

Fuck motorola. The 2.3 update is a buggy piece of shit. Things freezes, crashes, and reboots at least once a day. I checked and its none of the Apps.

Fuck. If I get android again its just nexus for me.

I know I can get custom roms but this should work without issue without them.

rc213

this.

My sister was in love with her G2x but it was a buggy pos, She kept it because she loved the LG Camera. Then LG updated it to 2.3 and remove the camera. It still sold for $250 which payed for her Amaze 4G. I loved the look of the phone but the constant lock ups and random reboots were brutal.

adroit

Oozer3993 said:
Fun fact: Google artificially slowed it down because it was so fast, people were doubting it actually did anything.
How bizarre. As long as you can pass the phone around the room and no one else can unlock your phone, it's obvious it's doing something. Sigh.

If T-Mobile does not carry the Nexus S, would buying an overseas unlocked GSM Nexus S be enough? Will it be compatible with Tmobile's 3G/HSPA+?

Oozer3993 said:

Whoa, that's awesome. Do you have a citation on this? Just want to pass it along to some facial recognition detractors. :)

Donos

adroit said:
How bizarre. As long as you can pass the phone around the room and no one else can unlock your phone, it's obvious it's doing something. Sigh.

Yep. Maybe PR speak: "guys guys, we are holding back.seriously guys!"

Doopliss

walbertsmith said:
Whoa, that's awesome. Do you have a citation on this? Just want to pass it along to some facial recognition detractors. :)
I think it was said in a hands on with the phone video, maybe one of the ones from Engadget or TiMN just after the press conference. But they all kind of blend together so who knows.

Lesiroth

Doopliss said:
I think it was said in a hands on with the phone video, maybe one of the ones from Engadget or TiMN just after the press conference. But they all kind of blend together so who knows.
No, I remember that quote clearly. I was kinda surprised by it too.

Fatalah

I'm in need of some major tech help.

My Droid Incredible no longer displays USB connection options when plugging into any PC.

Usually, the USB options appear in the notification pane. I'm using the original HTC USB cable -- the cable works fine with my brother's Incredible.

I turned on debugging mode, I rebooted the phone, shut it down, rebooted the computer, tried different computers. All the cable does is charge my phone -- nothing else.

I don't know what to do!

sneaky77

Fatalah said:
I'm in need of some major tech help.

My Droid Incredible no longer displays USB connection options when plugging into any PC.

Usually, the USB options appear in the notification pane. I'm using the original HTC USB cable -- the cable works fine with my brother's Incredible.

I turned on debugging mode, I rebooted the phone, shut it down, rebooted the computer, tried different computers. All the cable does is charge my phone -- nothing else.

I don't know what to do!

are the drivers installing correctly?

Oozer3993

My Droid X is apparently suicidal, and wants me to ditch it for a Galaxy Nexus, as it screwed up multiple times tonight during a quick jaunt to Detroit. First, the Navigation app changed from miles to kilometers right around the time I entered the Detroit city limits. Then, at a very crucial time, the camera app completely crashed the phone. Well Droid X, you have treated me pretty well, but you are so gone once the Nexus is out.

walbertsmith said:

From an Andy Rubin via Engadget:

In fact, Andy said his team even had to "slow down the process" as PittPatt's software was too fast to make folks believe that any security at all was involved

gcubed

Oozer3993 said:
My Droid X is apparently suicidal, and wants me to ditch it for a Galaxy Nexus, as it screwed up multiple times tonight during a quick jaunt to Detroit. First, the Navigation app changed from miles to kilometers right around the time I entered the Detroit city limits. Then, at a very crucial time, the camera app completely crashed the phone. Well Droid X, you have treated me pretty well, but you are so gone once the Nexus is out.

From an Andy Rubin via Engadget:
It, like most people, see Detroit as a foreign country and did what it thought was right

Shakala

Oozer3993 said:

Same here =/ I love my X but it's starting to die on me

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
At&t's LTE phones are a go:

attlte2full.jpg

Well hello gorgeous -- both of you! It turns out the rumors of AT&T launching an LTE-based Samsung Galaxy S II device are indeed true, as the GSM carrier's officially announced the launch of the Galaxy S II Skyrocket and the HTC Vivid in stores and online beginning November 6th. The Skyrocket can be yours for $250 with a two-year commitment and will offer a 4.5-inch Super AMOLED Plus display, Android 2.3.5, 1.5GHz dual-core CPU, 8MP rear camera with a 2MP front-facing cam and 16GB of internal storage space. The Vivid will be offered for $200 and has a 4.5-inch qHD (960 x 540) display, 1.2GHz CPU, 8MP rear camera with f/2.2 28mm wide angle lens and 1080p HD video recording. Both phones will be reverse compatible with AT&T's HSPA+ network, in case you're not using the phone in an LTE area. Speaking of which, AT&T also announced that the November 6th launch will also bring four additional markets live, including Boston, Washington DC, Baltimore and Athens GA. Check below for the full press release.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/31/...st-lte-smartphones-to-life-htc-vivid-and-sam/

jayb

SimleuqiR said:
[arm-chair-ui-designer]That's one ugly icon for the LTE. Drop the fake 4G, just leave the LTE letters. [/arm-chair-ui-designer]

wow, I'm not one to complain too much about icons, but that is pretty terrible.

I rooted and installed a custom rom on my wife's old phone this weekend. I don't know why manufacturers make it so hard to do it. Anyway on the plus side I'm flying pretty high today because I'm feeling like a hacker genius! I had comand prompts open and everything. Granted I was following the most basic step by step instructions I could find (cause xda forums were too hard...) but still let me have my false sense of coolness

Anyway it was Cyanogen 7 and I wanted to hop on the market place and download Launcher 7 since I like how it looks in the customizations thread but I couldn't find the market app?

Do custom roms not let you access the market?

jayb

HamPster PamPster said:
I rooted and installed a custom rom on my wife's old phone this weekend. I don't know why manufacturers make it so hard to do it. Anyway on the plus side I'm flying pretty high today because I'm feeling like a hacker genius! I had comand prompts open and everything. Granted I was following the most basic step by step instructions I could find (cause xda forums were too hard...) but still let me have my false sense of coolness

Anyway it was Cyanogen 7 and I wanted to hop on the market place and download Launcher 7 since I like how it looks in the customizations thread but I couldn't find the market app?

Do custom roms not let you access the market?

do you have the other google apps installed, like gmail and google talk? You probably need to flash the additional Gapps zip file.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Gapps#Google_Apps

Something is sucking up the battery on my tablet and I don't know what. Spare Parts force closes on me when I try to check Battery Info, what other apps will give me a more detailed rundown of apps that sucking up power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom