• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwell

DrFunk said:
At&t's LTE phones are a go:

attlte2full.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/31/...st-lte-smartphones-to-life-htc-vivid-and-sam/
I was literally minutes away from ordering a Galaxy SII for my company phone when I saw this... may need to wait a week and see a little spec review of Galaxy SII LTE before biting, I hope it supports Micro SD card and I really hope it gets ICS.

Emily Chu

Banned
Any word on Nexus Galaxy battery life ?

I get 40-50 hrs Battery life normal with an extended battery on a Droid X

reluctant to upgrade if it's 8-10hr battery life with normal usage : /

Emily Chu said:

I get 40-50 hrs Battery life normal with and extended battery on a Droid X

reluctant to upgrade if it's 8hr battery life with normal usage : /

That's insane. Don't expect anything near that.

Fletcher

Anyone have any experience taking phones back within 30 days? I bought the S2 day after launch and want the skyrocket. Can I return it and use my old iphone until the 6th? I want that bigger screen.

JCX

Emily Chu said:

I get 40-50 hrs Battery life normal with and extended battery on a Droid X

reluctant to upgrade if it's 8hr battery life with normal usage : /

Either your phone is rooted or you rarely use it. That's insane.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Emily Chu said:

You might want to take a seat my friend...

Emily Chu

Banned
JCX said:
Either your phone is rooted or you rarely use it. That's insane.
well it's rooted with a custom stock Android 2.4 Rom, light browsing mostly forums and imageboards, gmail, music, text messages, a phone call 3-4 a online video flash or two, rarely GPS. don't have any games installed < --- that might be it

after a about 20 hrs of it being disconnected from the charger I'm at 50 or 60 % Charge

either I run it down the next day another 20 hrs or throw it on the charger for the night

highest I've ever seen the battery life was about 70hrs or so about 3 days no charge

light usage though I suppose ^^^

feels good man

Dam. As a GS2 owner with 5 days left to restock the phone, this sky rocket annoys me. If it where qhd, I would jump on it, but the article said nothing about it.
Att lte is no different than Verizon's in terms if being a huge battery hog correct? Does switching Lte off actually lower that or is it still sucking juice, albiet a lot slower?

Emily Chu said:

lol what world is this

Zapages

Copernicus said:
jesus christ att

zapages is going to be a little annoyed

I wonder if I can go back to ATT and exchange it for the extra LTE versions. Its still haven't been 30 days.

If not, I am really satisfied with my current cellphone. As I am no where near a LTE area. Also 1.5 vs 1.2 GHz is not much a difference. 16GB vs 8GB is a difference. But I do plan on a getting a 32GB microSD card. So no worries for now. :)

Pctx said:
:lol

Awesome

my misery is awesome. :(

-Pyromaniac- said:
lol what world is this
My Samsung Galaxy S1, As you can see from the amount of time the screen is on I hardly use it but I usually get over 24 hours easily with normal usage (grooveshark, browser -twitter, Neogaf, youtube and some gaming) about 30 hours.:

QRynN.png

kehs

Banned
Zapages said:
I wonder if I can go back to ATT and exchange it for the extra LTE versions. Its still haven't been 30 days.

If not, I am really satisfied with my current cellphone. As I am no where near a LTE area. Also 1.5 vs 1.2 GHz is not much a difference. 16GB vs 8GB is a difference. But I do plan on a getting a 32GB microSD card. So no worries for now. :)

If you're still in the window of return, they sort of have to take it back. They will probably pull some bs restocking fee though.

I'd give it a shot.

----

I expect another Galaxy S II revision closer to Christmas with a 720p screen.

Circle T

Zapages said:

Both Galaxy SII versions at AT&T are 16GB.

Copernicus said:
If you're still in the window of return, they sort of have to take it back. They will probably pull some bs restocking fee though.

I'd give a shot.
It is normally $35, but if you ask really nice, and have the box and all it's included stuff, most Reps wil waive it.

gcubed

Zapages said:

if its any consolation its 99% that its a 1.5ghz qualcomm processor. The exynos, at a lower clock speed is still the winner.

Zapages

gcubed said:
if its any consolation its 99% that its a 1.5ghz qualcomm processor. The exynos, at a lower clock speed is still the winner.

great, I will stick with what I have. Its just that the GPS just sucks right now and I still haven't gotten the voicemail set up on it. :(

My current GSII is awesome and really satisfied with it. :)

I thought of my current SD card being 8GB and got it confused with actual internal storage of 16GB. lol

andycapps

colinisation said:
My Samsung Galaxy S1, As you can see from the amount of time the screen is on I hardly use it but I usually get over 24 hours easily with normal usage (grooveshark, browser -twitter, Neogaf, youtube and some gaming) about 30 hours.:

QRynN.png

How do you use your phone that little? Doesn't that graph basically mean you looked at your phone for a few minutes at the beginning, and then at the end of the day? That is impressive though.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's not looking good for us Vibrant owners:

To the person who asked what phones we've moved to - the current team has never been on tmobile, and we've always had other phones than Vibrant. We were developing for the Vibrant because it was similar enough to other Galaxy S devices and the developers before us had dropped the Vibrant and we felt somewhat obligated to support Vibrant. Not so much anymore . . . we've gone above and beyond the call of duty and dislike taking crap from users. The main developers of teamhacksung are on SGS2, Captivate and Galaxy S. TMobile will have the SGS2 variant and already has many HTCs that run CM. The Vibrant is a crappy phone to support for CM and I'll be happy to drop it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=18919719&postcount=504

Zhaanie

Banned
Greetings gentlemen! I've got a question for you and hopefully this is the right place to ask.

I got my Galaxy S2 today and I'm having some file transferring issues. I've used Samsung's Kies software to transfer a bunch of music folders to my phone with seemingly no trouble, but for some reason that music is nowhere to be found in the actual phone/Android. None of it can be located through the various music apps I have installed.

Could anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? =p

Zapages

Zhaanie said:
Greetings gentlemen! I've got a question for you and hopefully this is the right place to ask.

I got my Galaxy S2 today and I'm having some file transferring issues. I've used Samsung's Kies software to transfer a bunch of music folders to my phone with seemingly no trouble, but for some reason that music is nowhere to be found in the actual phone/Android. None of it can be located through the various music apps I have installed.

Could anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? =p

Why not just connect your cellphone with your computer/laptop and use it as USB drive to transfer your files. It will work better than any other program out there. I do that with my Galaxy S2 or just use the Blue tooth.

Zhaanie

Banned
Zapages said:
Why not just connect your cellphone with your computer/laptop and use it as USB drive to transfer your files. It will work better than any other program out there. I do that with my Galaxy S2 or just use the Blue tooth.

Yes, that is what I originally did. It seemed to work at first; however, the result was still the same as with Kies. I couldn't access/locate the music files on my phone.

I'm probably overlooking something simple ><

Ferrio

Banned
Ya no reason to use that software. Just hook it up to the computer, go to the usbstick on your phone and create a Music directory. Throw everything in there.

Zhaanie

Banned
In short, I've transferred the files (using both methods) but they're not listed on my phone.

EDIT:

Actually it seems to work now, sorry for wasting your time!

kehs

Banned
Zhaanie said:
In short, I've transferred the files (using both methods) but they're not listed on my phone.

EDIT:

Actually it seems to work now, sorry for wasting your time!

There's a "media scanner" service in the OS that runs in the background, it takes a few minutes after you add music to update and for the apps to see the content. You can find an app in the market place to manually run the scanner.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Copernicus said:
Google+ getting updated.

https://plus.google.com/107968525907303243288/posts/1fkf5A4Kom8

The biggest news is the following:

Seems the teams finally found each other inside the Android building!

Huh? I use the G+ app found in 4.0 and outside fucking up HTC's contacts app, it's sweet.

I really wanted to post how FUCKED up it is that Sony is getting the Google TV 2.0 update before Logitech. The reason I didn't spring for the BR player with Google TV because people seem to think Logitech's support for their products was better than Sony's. You could actually root the Revue while it was no method for any of the Sony devices. Now we have to wait god knows how long for it >_>

edit yoooooooo it looks like the ics version

jokkir

I just got a Nexus S!

Love the phone so far. What are some good apps to get? :p

And is there anything I should know about it?

jokkir said:
I just got a Nexus S!

Love the phone so far. What are some good apps to get? :p

And is there anything I should know about it?
drain your goddamn bottery all the way to red and then charge it back fully.

Also I'll recommend uhhh Pulse. Too lazy to mention more.

Fatalah

Well, I just factory reset my phone and the normal USB option menu still doesn't show when plugging into my computer. The phone's port must be broken.

Anyway, I forgot how to get Apple Touch bookmark shortcut icons working!

Example:
apple-touch-icon.png

All I get are ugly red flag icons. Some help?

panda21

can you set google goggles not to vibrate every time it finds something? its super annoying because i get a slew of notifications whenever i turn on wifi on my phone and it just keeps vibrating for a few minutes :S

the stuff it does find is mind blowing and it really ought to be better integrated into android, in a less obtrusive way (like auto tagging stuff in your gallery or something rather than having to use the goggles app to see it)

kehs

Banned
LG on ICS updates: NO....well maybe:

Update: LG has contacted us to let us know they have not yet made a decision on whether to bring Ice Cream Sandwich to the Optimus 2X or G2x. LG is still testing Ice Cream Sandwich on those two devices, and the ultimate decision on whether or not these devices will see the update will depend not only on the devices’ ability to handle ICS, but also whether or not the user experience with ICS on these devices will be a good one. My sincerest apologies to readers and LG.

http://androidandme.com/2011/10/news/lg-will-not-bring-ice-cream-sandwich-to-optimus-2x-g2x/

haha, gold.

Zapages

guys whats a good Android phone to get on Verizon with a physical keyboard that will be released in December or in the winter of this year?

Husker86

Zapages said:
guys whats a good Android phone to get on Verizon with a physical keyboard that will be released in December or in the winter of this year?
The numbered Motorola Droid series is the best option if you want good, powerful phones.

Copernicus said:
"wait, we have to support these devices?"

seriously, the 2x, 3D and Black should have ICS. period.

Copernicus said:
nice!

Copernicus said:
I think Evilore is selling my(well, his) android related posts to Google.
they're yours, he just has a license to use them! unlike Android, which uses other people's IP without a license!

Qwell said:
I was literally minutes away from ordering a Galaxy SII for my company phone when I saw this... may need to wait a week and see a little spec review of Galaxy SII LTE before biting, I hope it supports Micro SD card and I really hope it gets ICS.
Looks like it's using the 32nm revision of the original Equinox, so it'lbe the fastest Android handset on the market and should have very decent battery life.

Edit: Never considered it could just be Qualcomm's rubbish. If that's the case then it's not even a real Galaxy S 2.

gcubed

brain_stew said:
Looks like it's using the 32nm revision of the original Equinox, so it'lbe the fastest Android handset on the market and should have very decent battery life.

where did this come from? (im assuming you meant exynos).

The assumption is its the qualcomm processor. The 32nm isn't going to be in phones this year

Zapages

Husker86 said:
The numbered Motorola Droid series is the best option if you want good, powerful phones.

This is for my mentor and it will be the first smartphone.

Also what Droid has a physical keyboard?

Husker86

Zapages said:
This is for my mentor and it will be the first smartphone.

Same advice applies. Droid 3 is current one. No, it isn't free, but it's contract price is nothing compared to the plan price. Starting off on a budget Android phone wouldn't be a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom