• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
gcubed said:
where did this come from? (im assuming you meant exynos).

The assumption is its the qualcomm processor. The 32nm isn't going to be in phones this year
Yeah, I had a rethink on that. Thought it was the already announce LTE HD model but on close inspection it would appear not. Are these due to launch straight away, then?

gcubed

brain_stew said:
Yeah, I had a rethink on that. Thought it was the already announce LTE HD model but on close inspection it would appear not. Are these due to launch straight away, then?

this month i believe

Zapages

Husker86 said:
Same advice applies. Droid 3 is current one. No, it isn't free, but it's contract price is nothing compared to the plan price. Starting off on a budget Android phone wouldn't be a good idea.

What about any future phones for Verizon?

brain_stew said:
Looks like it's using the 32nm revision of the original Equinox, so it'lbe the fastest Android handset on the market and should have very decent battery life.

Edit: Never considered it could just be Qualcomm's rubbish. If that's the case then it's not even a real Galaxy S 2.
QUALCOMM'd again!!!

Solar System II LTE!!!

Xoom 2 coming with Flash 11 and Netflix HD, want.

6BXVXl.png

Fatalah

Fatalah said:
Well, I just factory reset my phone and the normal USB option menu still doesn't show when plugging into my computer. The phone's port must be broken.

Anyway, I forgot how to get Apple Touch bookmark shortcut icons working!

Example:
apple-touch-icon.png

All I get are ugly red flag icons. Some help?

Anyone?! I'm getting really annoyed! I used to have beautiful bookmark icons, not these ugly flags!

android-bookmark-sc-2-400h.png

kehs

Banned
Fatalah said:
Anyone?! I'm getting really annoyed! I used to have beautiful bookmark icons, not these ugly flags!

android-bookmark-sc-2-400h.png

I think, I'm not sure, but if you bookmark the page directly from the browser while viewing the site it'll used the favicon instead.

go to page > menu > bookmark > Homescreen (instead of bookmarks).

Otherwise, look for a custom icon app on the market, there's a couple.

Fatalah

Copernicus said:
I think, I'm not sure, but if you bookmark the page directly from the browser while viewing the site it'll used the favicon instead.

go to page > menu > bookmark > Homescreen (instead of bookmarks).

Otherwise, look for a custom icon app on the market, there's a couple.
No dice Copernicus. Could you point me towards an app?

kehs

Banned
Fatalah said:

Not off the top of my head, haven't really used them. Someone in the android customization thread might know though.

jokkir

What things can I do to optimize my battery life?

Are there any apps or any tips to make the battery last as long as it can?

Thanks!

jokkir said:
What things can I do to optimize my battery life?

Are there any apps or any tips to make the battery last as long as it can?

Thanks!

Switch off your phone :-/

OR....

Switch off your internet when you're not using it (eg at work). Internet kills teh battery. Or rock it early 21st century style with 2g only.

Also

Don't download the Facebook app. No idea if that'll help the battery but it's a piece of crap that should go die in a fire. Push notifications my arse.

kehs

Banned
OriginalThinking said:
Switch off your internet when you're not using it (eg at work). Internet kills teh battery. Or rock it early 21st century style with 2g only.

I got 62 hours(15% left) out of my N1 with no data and 2g only.

Angst

OriginalThinking said:
Don't download the Facebook app. No idea if that'll help the battery but it's a piece of crap that should go die in a fire. Push notifications my arse.
This. For some reason it kept using GPS all the time. touch.facebook.com is so much better.

TouchMyBox said:
If ICS is going to be good on a Nexus S, then the much beefier Optimus 2x should have no problems...

Stop being silly, LG.

Isn't RAM the issue with the 2X/G2X? There's only 384MB left after 128MB is taken for the GPU.

Husker86

Is anyone else annoyed by how when using multitask app-switcher...ok, let me see if I can explain this...so lets say you're browsing for a file using a file explorer app, now you open a document and it opens with QuickOffice. If you go to a different app then bring up the multitask switcher, QuickOffice isn't there, if you want to get back to where you were in that opened document, you click on the file explorer app.

Bugs the shit out of me.

kehs

Banned
Husker86 said:
Is anyone else annoyed by how when using multitask app-switcher...ok, let me see if I can explain this...so lets say you're browsing for a file using a file explorer app, now you open a document and it opens with QuickOffice. If you go to a different app then bring up the multitask switcher, QuickOffice isn't there, if you want to get back to where you were in that opened document, you click on the file explorer app.

Bugs the shit out of me.

Email the dev of the file explorer. It's a problem of how an app opens a new activity. Instead of opening a new activity, it just opens the activity "within" the other apps activities.

3phemeral

Husker86 said:

Bugs the shit out of me.
This used to annoy me with Google Reader, but since the latest update, I haven't noticed this at all. This really was only an issue when I was on Reader, but for other programs, opening the program that opened the file I'm looking for usually reopens the doc anyway, so it didn't bug me as much.

jiien

Fatalah said:

Try Desktop Visualizer, free on the Market. You can use it to change icons, I believe. Failing that, some launchers have it built to change icons of various things manually/individually.

Last resort is to google it and check out XDA, as I'm sure someone has written up an app to do what you want.

Husker86

Copernicus said:
Email the dev of the file explorer. It's a problem of how an app opens a new activity. Instead of opening a new activity, it just opens the activity "within" the other apps activities.
It happens with the stock file explorer on my Galaxy Tab. I'm almost positive Gmail acts this way too when opening an attachment. Either it's on purpose, because those are some big developers, or there is an underlying Android issue.

minx

I am a long time iPhone user but am considering switching to Android around Christmas. One big factor for me is that I listen to podcasts constantly. Is there some sort of iTunes store for android where I can easily find all the most popular podcasts? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I have never really messed around with an Android before.

minx88 said:
I am a long time iPhone user but am considering switching to Android around Christmas. One big factor for me is that I listen to podcasts constantly. Is there some sort of iTunes store for android where I can easily find all the most popular podcasts? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I have never really messed around with an Android before.

No need for desktop software. I've heard good things about Doggcatcher (paid version is about $5). RssDemon looks good, too, but I've never tried it.

8bit

Knows the Score
minx88 said:

Google Listen is pretty good for podcasts, grabs them direct to your phone.

minx88 said:
Pocketcasts. Free, looks and functions great. As someone who downloaded 30+ apps every week on itunes when I had an iphone, this was very important to me.

Al-ibn Kermit

Pkm said:
Trying to stay sub-$100, like I said...not a phone user. I usually forget to even charge mine lol.

options $100 and under
8GB iPhone 4 for $100
BB Curve $30
Samsung Continuum $50

FUCK those prices in the ass, those are the in-store prices. Shop around and you'll find much better phones for <$100.

Just looking at Verizon phones available on amazon.com:

http://wireless.amazon.com/b/684177011/ref=topnv_tn_bc_vz?phones_categoryCarrier=carrierVerizon

Droid Charge: 1 cent
HTC Thunderbolt: 1 cent
LG Revolution
Droid 3: $60
Droid Bionic: $120

All of these are better than the phones on your list.

The Bionic is a little bit more but it has both 4G and a dual-core processor (it is highest end phone currently on Verizon). The Droid Charge, HTC Thunderbolt, and LG Revolution also have 4G but only single-core processors.

The Droid 3 doesn't have 4G data speeds but it has a dual-core processor and a slide out keyboard if you prefer that to a touchscreen.

Personally I would go with the Bionic as my first choice or if you absolutely have to stay below $100 bucks then I would go with the Droid 3. Honestly if you could wait a couple weeks, the Galaxy Nexus's upcoming release will probably drive the Bionic's price down below the $100 mark.

If you're main priority is the best battery life, then I would say the Droid 3 or the Droid Bionic are your best choices. Third place would be the Droid Charge. The HTC Thunderbolt was a bit infamous for being hard to get through a full day without charging.

joaomgcd

Gamer @ Heart said:
Pocketcasts. Free, looks and functions great. As someone who downloaded 30+ apps every week on itunes when I had an iphone, this was very important to me.

Pocketcasts doesn't show up as free here. Is it free somewhere else?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It was free on Amazon, I believe. Then the dev got pissed about the results and stopped supporting it on Amazon.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Sorry, I had to drive to work :p

Anywhoo...this thing is...intimidating, to say the least.

But actually, it isn't that much bigger than a Sensation. I've only made one call on it, and it felt unwieldy as fuck. But to be fair, that was my first call on such a device. Given some more time with it, maybe I could use it like other phones. It's smaller than the Streak (but wider). Think of it as a faster, bigger GS II. It's a niche device, that's for sure.

mh4LMl.jpg

I'll upload some drawings in a sec. The Walcom digitizer is accurate and smooth.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Very cool. Congrats!

Where did you get it and for how much? Is it factory unlocked? Also, does anyone know if TMo bands work on it? HSPA+?

I really want to hold one.

Pctx

Banned
DrFunk said:
Sorry, I had to drive to work :p

Anywhoo...this thing is...intimidating, to say the least.

But actually, it isn't that much bigger than a Sensation. I've only made one call on it, and it felt unwieldy as fuck. But to be fair, that was my first call on such a device. Given some more time with it, maybe I could use it like other phones. It's smaller than the Streak (but wider). Think of it as a faster, bigger GS II. It's a niche device, that's for sure.

mh4LMl.jpg

I'll upload some drawings in a sec. The Walcom digitizer is accurate and smooth.
Looks good Funk.

Co-worker wants one... be interesting to see who gets it state side.

SimleuqiR

DrFunk said:
lol, what are you sorry about? It's large for note taking. That's the point

http://i.imgur.com/jdKtrl.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I'm jelly...[SPOILER]just for that "new device" feeling. [/SPOILER]

Edit:

The Note makes the Nexus Prime look like my Nexus One.

[IMG]http://st.gsmarena.com/vv/reviewsimg/samsung-galaxy-nexus/phone/gsmarena_009.jpg

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I was out do something or other last night and dropped in the Applestore. It was weird playing with an iPhone4S knowing I could own it right then and there. But It really just drove home even further what I don't like about iOS. It feels so boring.

JCX

Jtwo said:
I was out do something or other last night and dropped in the Applestore. It was weird playing with an iPhone4S knowing I could own it right then and there. But It really just drove home even further what I don't like about iOS. It feels so boring.

Have you experimented with WP7? Most dynamic feeling of the three.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Nah I haven't. The lumia 800 seems like a great piece of hardware though. IDK, I'm just gonna wait it out for the Nexus. I have GREAT interest in Windows8, though.

S. L.

not sure where to post this,
but my android regularly finds an "invisible" software update.
it notifies me that an update is available, but when i check the market there is none.
or if it notifies my of 2 updates, only one is available... etc

any idea how to fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom