• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyBrad

S. L. said:
not sure where to post this,
but my android regularly finds an "invisible" software update.
it notifies me that an update is available, but when i check the market there is none.
or if it notifies my of 2 updates, only one is available... etc

any idea how to fix this?

Its market bugs. The update notification goes out before the update is loaded up. They know about it.

Also if you have more than one google account on the phone it'll notify you for updates for that one to. (another bug)

S. L.

JonnyBrad said:
Its market bugs. The update notification goes out before the update is loaded up. They know about it.

Also if you have more than one google account on the phone it'll notify you for updates for that one to. (another bug)
ah ok, thanks for the quick reply

Emily Chu

Banned
How much would a unlocked Galazy Naaaaaaaaaxus be ?

I HATE THAT NAME

GALAZY NAHHHHHHHHUS

Nexus Prime it is

can't be over 600$ 700$ US right ?

Tk0n

market gets better from update to update, but its still quite bad.

since yesterday, the "my apps" list in my market is completely empty and white.
not even my bought apps are shown.
i rebootet the phone, cleared the cache, cleared data, removed market updates, nothing helps.

jiien

Emily Chu said:
How much would a unlocked Galazy Naaaaaaaaaxus be ?

I HATE THAT NAME

GALAZY NAHHHHHHHHUS

Nexus Prime it is

can't be over 600$ 700$ US right ?

Weren't quoted prices a little over 500 pounds or something? So probably over 700 dollars at least. :( Just guessing though.

SimleuqiR

Just bought this:

shirt.jpg

http://www.darkknightandy.com/

Now I need to remember to buy the Android-Gaf t-shirts.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
jiien said:
Weren't quoted prices a little over 500 pounds or something? So probably over 700 dollars at least. :( Just guessing though.

£500. Current conversion rates are about $1.60 to the pound. 1.6 x 500 = 800.

So the US price is likely to be around $500.

JCX

Jtwo said:
Nah I haven't. The lumia 800 seems like a great piece of hardware though. IDK, I'm just gonna wait it out for the Nexus. I have GREAT interest in Windows8, though.

I was impressed after a few momnets of use at a cell phone store. I plan to stick with my 3VO for a while, but when I upgrade, I'll take a serious look at WP7.

Anyone else have problems with the NPR app and other apps stopping when the screen is turned off on your tablet? It's strange, since I don't think that happens on my phone.

MercuryLS

Banned
So when is the ICS update for the Nexus S supposed to come out? I can't stand the current music player, I'm hoping ICS comes with a completely redone one.

rozay

Banned
I think $529 and $629 for the 16 and 32GB respectively are safe bets for pricing. I will not be buying this phone if only the LTE version has 32GB, that would be such a dumb move.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I just spent like 3 hours playing around with iOS5 to try and get it as close to way I use Android. It just feels kind of unsatisfying. Its weird, apps cease to exist once you punch out of them. Theres no real sense coherency to the experience. The phone is basically dead unless you go into individual apps to do something. You can't just let it be and expect it to work for you. It feels really disconnected. *grumble*

Facetime is sweet though. I just entered a phonenumber and it worked instantly.

tino

Banned
Besides folder organizer, is there a different app icon skinning tool? I just want one that load faster at boot up.

Also, is it possible to remap the hardware search key to a different function? God I hate the useless search key.

Davidion

tino said:
Also, is it possible to remap the hardware search key to a different function? God I hate the useless search key.

I don't know about remapping the search key, but you CAN remap search long press. I'm not sure if that helps you.

kinggroin

Banned
tino said:
Besides folder organizer, is there a different app icon skinning tool? I just want one that load faster at boot up.

Cyanogen will let you remap I believe.

... Or maybe its the home and back button...

SimleuqiR

Jtwo said:
I just spent like 3 hours playing around with iOS5 to try and get it as close to way I use Android. It just feels kind of unsatisfying. Its weird, apps cease to exist once you punch out of them. Theres no real sense coherency to the experience. The phone is basically dead unless you go into individual apps to do something. You can't just let it be and expect it to work for you. It feels really disconnected. *grumble*

Facetime is sweet though. I just entered a phonenumber and it worked instantly.
Dude, You can't "just let it be " you gotta talk to it.

Expansys are listing the Note as being in stock, price at £549.

Which isn't that much more than the current pre order price for the Galaxy Nexus, and given the faster chipset, bigger screen, resolution and that micro-sd slot, it seems a better deal.

Only problem is if you aren't Liam Neeson-sized then you will look stupid using it. :-\

tino

Banned
Davidion said:
I don't know about remapping the search key, but you CAN remap search long press. I'm not sure if that helps you.

I saw that app. Its no an elegent solution though.

kinggroin said:
Cyanogen will let you remap I believe.

... Or maybe its the home and back button...

You sure? I don't see it. Which menu?

Any way to re-skin app icon besides folder organizer?

tino

Banned
Well, I bit the bullet and brought LaunchKey. Its a very primitive launch menu with 8-10 app you can put in. I guess that's good enough to serve as my 2nd screen. My main screen has 35 app and a switch widget. I will try to fit all my stuff there.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
sionyboy said:
Expansys are listing the Note as being in stock, price at £549.

Which isn't that much more than the current pre order price for the Galaxy Nexus, and given the faster chipset, bigger screen, resolution and that micro-sd slot, it seems a better deal.

Only problem is if you aren't Liam Neeson-sized then you will look stupid using it. :-\

oh come on, it's not that big

YJD4ul.jpg

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
After fiddling around with 4G a few hours ago my battery performance has gone down the drain. 4G is obviously off again, but I am seeing the battery indicator telling me its been completely awake for the last 2/3 hours or so, and the battery decline is quite sharp. I tried task killer to kill some.. and installed another one to auto kill certain apps but the "awake" status is still there and battery is dropping FAST. What can I do?

kehs

Banned
No to task killers, or auto kills, they waste more battery than they save.

Awake means there's an app doing something in the background, not necessarily a battery eating something though.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Is there an upcoming android phone with physical keyboard?

I'm going to replace my Motorola Droid soon.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Copernicus said:
No task killers, or auto kills, they wast more battery than they save.

Awake means there's an app doing something in the background, not necessarily a battery eating something though.

Oh really? Will take that out then. Yeah I am still trying to determine what app is this. I should be at around 60-50% and I am at like 30% right now.

kehs

Banned
Relix said:
Oh really? Will take that out then. Yeah I am still trying to determine what app is this. I should be at around 60-50% and I am at like 30% right now.

What are the top things using battery when you got to the battery use page?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Copernicus said:
What are the top things using battery when you got to the battery use page?

Ok lets see... the problem starts after I tested WiMax in an area I knew had it. Just to test it. Since that point on battery has been dropping FAST (4G is already turned off). Also, the Awake bar is completely blue all the way until now, which obviously doesn't agree with Screen on. In fact, the bars are basically even (some system updates wake up the system but that's normal) up until that point where I basically ran Speedtest and fired up Youtube.

Voice Calls 33% (45 min)
Display 25%
Android OS 14%
Android System 7%
Dialer 6%
Standby 5%
Phone Idle 3%
Internet 3%
AirAttack (fun game!) 3%
MediaServer 2%

rc213

Relix said:
Ok lets see... the problem starts after I tested WiMax in an area I knew had it. Just to test it. Since that point on battery has been dropping FAST (4G is already turned off). Also, the Awake bar is completely blue all the way until now, which obviously doesn't agree with Screen on. In fact, the bars are basically even (some system updates wake up the system but that's normal) up until that point where I basically ran Speedtest and fired up Youtube.

Voice Calls 33% (45 min)
Display 25%
Android OS 14%
Android System 7%
Dialer 6%
Standby 5%
Phone Idle 3%
Internet 3%
AirAttack (fun game!) 3%
MediaServer 2%
What phone?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The Faceless Master said:
for those of you that saved your $2 Amazon Appstore Twitter Promo, the rainy day has arrived!

GrooVe IP is on sale for $1.99!
Damn, I bought this on Android Market for $5 awhile back and then sold my Android phone like a day later.

Double dipping, anyway, since I had the $2 promo code. Maybe I'll grab an Amazon tablet down the road.

Relix said:
S2 Epic 4G

I would suggest doing each of the following till it is fixed.

Disabling data for a little while then, re-enabling with 4G still off.

If not fixed

Put phone into airplane mode, then re-enabling the radio (4G still off).

If not fixed

Restart phone.

Paznos

toxicgonzo said:
Is there an upcoming android phone with physical keyboard?

I'm going to replace my Motorola Droid soon.
Well there's the Droid 3 and there have been pics of the Droid 4 and it looks pretty much ready for launch but probably won't be released til early next year.

Cudder

I dont know what it is, maybe I use the phone too much, but my Nexus Ones battery is just utter SHIT. I've resorted to brining my charger to work every day now. fuuuuuuck this.

outsidah

DrFunk said:
galaxy note.jpg

Very nice. I'd love to see and use one in person. It seems like a good compromise between a tab and a phone. I owned a Streak for awhile but found that whole experience lackluster. It was a combo of meh hardware and meh software. Worst thing about the streak was talking on it which as you stated is probably not great on this device either.

Looking forward to how you feel with it after a some time. Personally, I'm sold on the Nexus Prime. 17th can't come soon enough.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
colinisation said:
I would suggest doing each of the following till it is fixed.

Disabling data for a little while then, re-enabling with 4G still off.

If not fixed

Put phone into airplane mode, then re-enabling the radio (4G still off).

If not fixed

Restart phone.

Ok will do. Thanks!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Cudder said:
I dont know what it is, maybe I use the phone too much, but my Nexus Ones battery is just utter SHIT. I've resorted to brining my charger to work every day now. fuuuuuuck this.
It's probably old. You can buy a new battery for like $20. My N1 would last throughout the day, no problem.

Bboy AJ said:
Damn, I bought this on Android Market for $5 awhile back and then sold my Android phone like a day later.

Double dipping, anyway, since I had the $2 promo code. Maybe I'll grab an Amazon tablet down the road.

It should be tied to your account and you shouldnt have to pay for it again. Just redownload it.

Bboy AJ

The Faceless Master said:
well, if he has an Amazon tablet and the Android Market isn't supported, that could be a issue.
Bingo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom