• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The Faceless Master said:
well, they'd also have to release a tablet with features like a built-in microphone...
I've no doubt it's on its way. Amazon doesn't sit still.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Relix said:
Ok will do. Thanks!

That seemed to help a fair share. I put it in Airplane Mode and then back on. Awake and Screen On were "synced" though battery was still going down. Still I am sure after another charge the problem will be fixed as everything seems to be again synced. Will see how it holds!

kehs

Banned
Divvy said:
Is the phone a specific model, or is the tablet compatible with any phone that will fit?

From what I understand the product is composed of the two parts, so you can't really buy the phone and the dumb tablet* separately.

*no I'm not talking about the ipad.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Copernicus said:
From what I understand the product is composed of the two parts, so you can't really buy the phone and the dumb tablet* separately.

*no I'm not talking about the ipad.

Thanks. You wouldn't think it'd be too hard to create a tablet shell you can plug a phone in via micro usb. Seems like a no-brainer if you ask me.

kehs

Banned
Divvy said:
Thanks. You wouldn't think it'd be too hard to create a tablet shell you can plug a phone in via micro usb. Seems like a no-brainer if you ask me.

The running demo they had at computex back in may was actually just hooked up via a cable (I'm guessing MHL hdmi), so yeah, that's pretty much all there is too it.

tino said:
I don't trust them. Asus announced the 7" MeMO and never released it.

Well, the market for a seven incher are a bit small and tight, right dream?

womp

Paznos said:
Well there's the Droid 3 and there have been pics of the Droid 4 and it looks pretty much ready for launch but probably won't be released til early next year.

Don't forget the Samsung Stratosphere as well.

samsung-stratosphere-press-images.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
RJ, always providing us beautiful Android stuff, as always! Thanks, man!

rc213

Finally rooted my Sensation 4G (InsertCoin 3.4.1), Was tired of the damn Power Button/Screenshot bug plus the bug with a few games (Early Bird, Cordy). Soooooooooooooooo good!

Also, Why don't Google or Apple add a damn Wishlist to their Markets? With my iPad I can use AppShopper but there is nothing like that on Android. There are more than a few games/apps I would love to keep track of to see when they drop in price or update to fix a nasty bug that's keeping me from buying the app/game.

jokkir

What's up with the Facebook app? It uses the second most on my battery right below display and uses more batter than all of my Google services.

gcubed

jokkir said:
What's up with the Facebook app? It uses the second most on my battery right below display and uses more batter than all of my Google services.
I uninstalled that shit once I found out they sync and store all your phone contacts if you are syncing

Angst

jokkir said:
It's a worthless piece of shit. From what I could see it uses GPS constantly, probably so you won't have to wait for GPS fix when doing a status update...

Blackhead

Redarse
Oozer3993 said:
Greyface said:
Does Android's USB host mode mean I can connect an external hard drive through the microusb port (or even an SD card via an adapter)?
I don't think so. My Xoom has USB host mode, but only works with mice, keyboards, and gamepads.
Assuming this is true for the Galaxy Nexus as well are there any workarounds, third party apps or custom ROMs that would add this functionality?

(cross posting from the Galaxy Nexus thread).

gcubed

Greyface said:
Assuming this is true for the Galaxy Nexus as well are there any workarounds, third party apps or custom ROMs that would add this functionality?

(cross posting from the Galaxy Nexus thread).

i'm pretty sure you can plug usb sticks, etc into the xoom as well. You need a host USB cable though, which is different

gcubed said:
well, i guess Moto took care of apple's lawsuit about rectangles

http://i.imgur.com/bMCwO.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

You mean Google.

And isn't a new Xoom a bit early? The first one came out this February.

gcubed

brotkasten said:
You mean Google.

And isn't a new Xoom a bit early? The first one came out this February.

the new transformer is coming out even before this. It seems like they fixed some of the faults from the first one (screen mainly), threw in a dash of ugly and set it on its way. It appears to be most likely headed for 399 which is pretty good

Copernicus said:
Surprised they're launching with HC.

Droid RAZR is launching with Gingerbread.

The lead time from new product development start to launch is still >6 months. So if you really want ICS now it's pretty much Galaxy Tuna or nothing, the first new phones and tablets to roll out with ICS won't be until March 2012 at the earliest. GSIII might be the first non-Tuna phone to launch with ICS or it might not.

Sounds like a pretty raw deal with the Transformer Prime coming out so soon.

What's this 1.2 GHz processor anyway? They say 20% faster graphics, so I'm guessing it's just a Tegra 2 clocked 20% higher?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Anybody picking up the Skyrocket
The real Galaxy SII
this weekend?

I am. :)

Upgrading from Infuse.

Lesiroth

jobber said:
http://i.imgur.com/JoE8j.jpg[IMG]

it's a lot faster than the stock browser o:[/QUOTE]
Looks nice, but it's hard to believe it got faster than stock in that short a time period. Unless you're using some sort of superphone D:

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Am I the only one here with a Sony Google TV? It was just updated to Honeycomb and I'm trying to figure out how to get access to the entire market. I just installed LauncherPro and it actually works great. I've got a twitter widget up at the moment (this would make an excellent boot-screen).

Guess I'll just have to download APKs to a USB device and find a way to install them.

Lesiroth

Suite Pee said:
Am I the only one here with a Sony Google TV? It was just updated to Honeycomb and I'm trying to figure out how to get access to the entire market. I just installed LauncherPro and it actually works great. I've got a twitter widget up at the moment (this would make an excellent boot-screen).

Guess I'll just have to download APKs to a USB device and find a way to install them.
LauncherPro on a Google TV? How would that work out?

kehs

Banned
Suite Pee said:

The market if filtered by device properties. Most devs will request a touch screen for their apps to work. Since there is none, the apps won't show.

Lesiroth said:

Up/down/left/right. Same way you can navigate it with the trackball/pad on a phone.

<3 Android. Might be able to even use a wireless mouse (not sure if they introduced the HID support in 3.1 or 3.2.)

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Lesiroth said:
Looks nice, but it's hard to believe it got faster than stock in that short a time period. Unless you're using some sort of superphone D:

Well my stock browser is the htc version. It's faster than the current firefox and the beta in the market. It looks like it stays on in the background. It's been a couple of hours since I last used it and when I opened the app up, it's still on the same page I was earlier. My previous experience with Firefox, you would have to wait for all the libraries to load up if you left the app. I'll continue to use it. It's a ton of stuff to check out like if Flash works. There is 1 flaw that still remains: it doesn't play well with SwiftKey X.

jobber

Suite Pee said:

I'm jealous :mad:

Does it have a Live TV widget?

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Lesiroth said:

Surprisingly well. Only thing is that I placed a Pandora widget (forgetting it was useless), and I'm having the toughest time trying to drag it to the trash bin. It's great, though. You can set wallpapers, change the shortcut icons, have multiple screens, etc.

There's definitely a lot of hitches for this re-launch, but it opens up a whole new world of possibilities that I think (hope) a lot of people latch on to. Specifically, the more nerdy people that will have me up and running with games I can use my 360 controller to play, for example.

jobber said:
I'm jealous :mad:

Does it have a Live TV widget?

Well, it has the same old link to live television like in the original version.

There is a new TV and Movies app that has a lot of content. Looks like mostly renting or buying at the moment, but there is an option to filter for only free things.

Snap, one of the menus under that app shows you a very clean presentation of all the shows available to you right now (for me, it's the channels I have for DTV). It organizes by genre, with a picture of the TV series/Movie playing and how much time is left on it.

jobber

Suite Pee said:
Well, it has the same old link to live television like in the original version.

There is a new TV and Movies app that has a lot of content. Looks like mostly renting or buying at the moment, but there is an option to filter for only free things.

Snap, one of the menus under that app shows you a very clean presentation of all the shows available to you right now (for me, it's the channels I have for DTV). It organizes by genre, with a picture of the TV series/Movie playing and how much time is left on it.

well that is on the current version of the software the revue is on...you can sort by everything that is currently on..like movies, it'll show all the movies playing right now on my cable system with box art and a small description. Does the GTV remote app for phones still work?

Guiberu

[Ignore this post completely - I didn't read the last few posts about slider Android phones. I will commence shutting up.....now]

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
gcubed said:
look at our new phone, we change the color around it to red, and its completely different!

wait wait wait we also included an algorithm that pumps up the bass!*

*and can be used on any other HTC phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom