• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
720p display on the Rezound.

I'm kinda thinking I want an ICS phone with hard keys now, as you'll get more real estate usage out of the screen.

They shouldn't have skimped on the camera though, what is this like .05 megapixels? Jeez

dsc0041.jpg

gcubed

Copernicus said:
720p display on the Rezound.

I'm kinda thinking I want an ICS phone with hard keys now, as you'll get more real estate usage out of the screen.

They shouldn't have skimped on the camera though, what is this like .05 megapixels? Jeez

dsc0041.jpg

its a wash. you get a 4.65" with soft keys or a 4.3" with hard keys

giga

HTC's shipping the handset Ice Cream Sandwich-ready, but it comes out of the box with Sense-skinned Gingerbread 2.3

lol

MXfF5.png

lolx2

Lesiroth said:
ICS-ready is nothing more than marketing crap, right?

Must be. Like, you buy a house with an old roof and it's like, "this house is NEW ROOF ready." Or like how the original Xoom was LTE READY*

*10 months after release you can ship your Xoom away and we'll put LTE on it.

gcubed

The Albatross said:
Must be. Like, you buy a house with an old roof and it's like, "this house is NEW ROOF ready." Or like how the original Xoom was LTE READY*

LTE is a power hungry bitch.

I left my Xoom (80%) in my car when i went out after work in Philadelphia. Full LTE coverage. Came back 6 hours later and the Xoom as dead as a doornail

Lesiroth

The Albatross said:

:lol

Copernicus said:
It probably just means they have actual plans to update it.
One would assume they plan to update most of their recent high end phones.

Husker86

gcubed said:
HTC who needs stinking battery life. 1620mah lol
That isn't that small of a capacity. Yeah, Samsung is kinda goin all out but looking at most other phones that's actually pretty good.

kamil

Neo Member
Lesiroth said:
The Adreno 220 gets a lot of bad rap but I'd assume it's atleast better than the SGX 540, right?

Not really. I think its similar to SGX540 from Galaxy S (which was clocked pretty low) but nowhere near SGX from Galaxy Nexus clocked at 384 Mhz.

Qwell

So I'm still trying to decide between the standard AT&T Galaxy S2 and the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. It looks like the Skyrocket is simply the T-Mobile Galaxy S2 that uses snapdragon instead of Exynos chip.

Which would be the faster smoother phone for standard operation and 3D gaming (even though I hear android 3d games are still a small library)? I do care about speed, but I also live on the west coast (portland, or) and I haven't seen any LTE rollout plans yet, so the LTE would be nice for future proofing, I would rather have a smoother faster UI and gaming performance. Plus I'm almost always near a wifi hotspot and would be using that like 80% of the time anyways.

gcubed

Qwell said:
So I'm still trying to decide between the standard AT&T Galaxy S2 and the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. It looks like the Skyrocket is simply the T-Mobile Galaxy S2 that uses snapdragon instead of Exynos chip.

Which would be the faster smoother phone for standard operation and 3D gaming (even though I hear android 3d games are still a small library)? I do care about speed, but I also live on the west coast (portland, or) and I haven't seen any LTE rollout plans yet, so the LTE would be nice for future proofing, I would rather have a smoother faster UI and gaming performance. Plus I'm almost always near a wifi hotspot and would be using that like 80% of the time anyways.

they exynos is definitely faster. Will you notice much of a difference in day to day use? I dont know. The way ATT is moving with LTE you are looking at quite a while before it comes usable in more then 6 cities. Personally if i was going to stay on ATT i'd go with the exynos GS2

outsidah

Qwell said:

Can't speak to direct experience with that Snaprdragon.. but I have to say the Exynos chip is the smoothest, nicest chipset I have used on any Android phone. I have owned the SGSII since the Euro launch (6months or so) and it is still a pleasure. Perfect size and great phone overall.

Qwell

gcubed said:
they exynos is definitely faster. Will you notice much of a difference in day to day use? I dont know. The way ATT is moving with LTE you are looking at quite a while before it comes usable in more then 6 cities. Personally if i was going to stay on ATT i'd go with the exynos GS2
Yah its a company phone so I'm stuck with AT&T, and even if LTE comes I can't imagine I'll even need 26+mbps down with a 2gb cap...

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I wouldn't hate on phones not having ICS at the moment. The source code for manufacturer was probably released a week ago if that.

These phones coming out now have been in development for over 2 months. Then you have to manipulate the code to add the trademark skin with it. I wouldn't expect a phone to launch with ICS outside the NG for at least 3 months.

Lesiroth

Qwell said:
Yah its a company phone so I'm stuck with AT&T, and even if LTE comes I can't imagine I'll even need 26+mbps down with a 2gb cap...
Still boggles my mind why they US carriers are so invested into LTE when their caps are completely draconian. Is it to get users to finish their caps faster so they can overcharge users even more?

Cipherr

gcubed said:

ATT will have 15 markets by years end. I dunno. Turning the service on November 6th, and 15 major cities by years end aint half bad considering the time of year. I think its a little early to say AT&T wont rollout LTE at a good pace. People said the same thing about Verizon, then they rolled that shit fast as hell this year.

Lesiroth said:
Still boggles my mind why they US carriers are so invested into LTE when their caps are completely draconian. Is it to get users to finish their caps faster so they can overcharge users even more?

Well yeah, thats a part of it of course. Easier to manage with the bandwidth limiter in ICS though. Lately Ive become somewhat unimpressed with Sprint. Im looking to jump to AT&T tbh, can snag one of my parents accounts for unlimited data. Should AT&T deliver a Galaxy Nexus with an LTE radio in it alongside an HSPA+ radio (like they have in the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket) Im just going to jump ship.

gcubed

Cipherr said:
ATT will have 15 markets by years end. I dunno. Turning the service on November 6th, and 15 major cities by years end aint half bad considering the time of year. I think its a little early to say AT&T wont rollout LTE at a good pace. People said the same thing about Verizon, then they rolled that shit fast as hell this year.

Well yeah, thats a part of it of course. Easier to manage with the bandwidth limiter in ICS though. Lately Ive become somewhat unimpressed with Sprint. Im looking to jump to AT&T tbh, can snag one of my parents accounts for unlimited data. Should AT&T deliver a Galaxy Nexus with an LTE radio in it alongside an HSPA+ radio (like they have in the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket) Im just going to jump ship.
I don't think they plan on rolling out as fast as Verizon but they have a much better base speed than Verizon.

I'm fine with att hspa + speeds what annoys me is its poor performance (no performance) in crowded areaa

gcubed

cartoon_soldier said:
Agreed.

I know how much people hate Blur, after owning an Atrix, my good friend got an HTC phone on AT&T and Sense was worse than Blur.
My wife got an atrix and I think blur is miles better than sense.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
cartoon_soldier said:
Agreed.

I know how much people hate Blur, after owning an Atrix, my good friend got an HTC phone on AT&T and Sense was worse than Blur.
sense is awesome.. so awesome that google jacked it and turned it into ICS :p

outsidah

gcubed said:
My wife got an atrix and I think blur is miles better than sense.

Blur on the Atrix was toned down but I didn't like it. Stuck in the past. I don't mind Sense but it is also falling behind with the times.

Goldrush

Just brought Doggcatcher. While it is generally an improvement over Listen, there are stuff that just drives me insane. First is that I got to change all the feeds from title to GUID when I first add it so that it'll recognize more than the latest entry. I can't find an option that set it as the default. Second, it have a mindset that the listener wants to start at the beginning. Therefore, it'll download the earliest of the displayed items first rather than the latest. While it have an option to sort in ascending or descending dates for individual feeds, I can't find an option to switch the playlist from oldest first to newest first.

Lesiroth

jokkir said:
Since the official Facebook app isn't that great, are there ANY good Facebook apps right now?
The only other decent Facebook app I know of is FriendCaster but I don't really know how well it compares to the official one.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I'm over Sense as well... Right now using CM 7.1 and ADW Pro, but I'll be getting a SGSII soon, so I'll use TouchWiz 4.0 until I get around to rooting it, if I feel the need to do so...

def sim

I'm too late for the HTC hate? Well, whatevs:

HTC phones are the worst. Ugly phones, ugly UI, and the Nexus 1 looks like butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom