• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
giga said:
Depends on the clock speed of the 540. It's similar to the 304 MHz SGX 540 which is in the OMAP 4430. The GN uses the OMAP 4460 which is clocked at 384 MHz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_OMAP#OMAP_4

Looking at the Texas Instruments & Qualcomm Roadmap with 28nm chips (and whatever Apple is doing next year) it really feels like the next big generational leap or "tic" in the tic toc cycle is coming in the last half of 2012.

Almost makes me want to sit this one out on the Galaxy Nexus and really any phone available this year.

But I need ICS badly, and my Droid Incredible no longer gets mobile data for some reason (Verizon is still billing me for it of course).

Cipherr

kirbybreezy said:
Looking at the Texas Instruments & Qualcomm Roadmap with 28nm chips (and whatever Apple is doing next year) it really feels like the next big generational leap or "tic" in the tic toc cycle is coming in the last half of 2012.

Almost makes me want to sit this one out on the Galaxy Nexus and really any phone available this year.

But I need ICS badly, and my Droid Incredible no longer gets mobile data for some reason (Verizon is still billing me for it of course).

phsaw. The tic will happen every year or so. Buy a phone every year, its the only way.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
No way, I'm just gonna take two BYE years. I'll come back once the ICS design standard has permeated the ecosystem and there are finally good third party apps. Maybe Google will have the voice/talk/+/social/wallet thing figured out by then too.

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:
No way, I'm just gonna take two BYE years. I'll come back once the ICS design standard has permeated the ecosystem and there are finally good third party apps. Maybe Google will have the voice/talk/+/social/wallet thing figured out by then too.

Well by that time you can just use Android on your next apple device.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Copernicus said:
Well by that time you can just use Android on your next apple device.
That would actually be sweet. A long time ago when Android was first announced I kept thinking about how obviously some fans somewhere would just port it to the iphone. I never looked to see if it happened though.

NH Apache

Banned
Verizon is finally pushing out 2.3.5 for OG Galaxy Tab 7. Thanks be to based VZW for another timely upgrade.

Now to wait for the root exploit.

zedge

Copernicus said:
chiclet launchers are for cavemen.

Big ass squares and rectangles are for old people and the visually impaired.. ;)

Why don't you get a WP7 phone and have the real thing? :p I have an optimus 7 as a backup. Heh.

kehs

Banned
zedge said:
Big ass squares and rectangles are for old people and the visually impaired.. ;)

Why don't you get a WP7 phone and have the real thing? :p I have an optimus 7 as a backup. Heh.

While I enjoy the launcher aspect of Windows Phone, I prefer a fully functioning OS.

VPhys

Rezound is way too thick of a phone to compete. Twice as thick as the RAZR. Once your start getting into phones with 4.3"+ screens, thinness becomes even more important.

So still in the running.

Galaxy Nexus
Galaxy S2
RAZR

kehs

Banned
VPhys said:
Rezound is way too thick of a phone to compete. Twice as thick as the RAZR. Once your start getting into phones with 4.3"+ screens, thinness becomes even more important.

So still in the running.

Galaxy Nexus
Galaxy S2
RAZR
padFone

I agree.

thuway

They need to hurry up and release the Note in the US. That 5.3 inch OLED >>> everything. Subsidize that monkey now.

kehs

Banned
Fun with WP7 launcher
url]

Chopper

Hey guys. I haven't been keeping up with Android handset news for a while, but was curious if there is a follow up to the S2 in the works? The Samsung smartphones are really nice, but my girlfriend won't upgrade yet if there's a more awesome version on the way.

gcubed

Chopper said:
Hey guys. I haven't been keeping up with Android handset news for a while, but was curious if there is a follow up to the S2 in the works? The Samsung smartphones are really nice, but my girlfriend won't upgrade yet if there's a more awesome version on the way.
There is ALWAYS a more awesome version on the way. GS3 should be q2 world late 3q US

panda21

J Tourettes said:
Just got my 2.3.5 update via Kies on the Three (UK) network. Goodbye, overscroll bounce :(

ooo are there any nice new features? i have a feeling kies on my mac wont let me update though

panda21

so i just did a firmware update from the settings, and now settings has been renamed to com.android.settings in my apps drawer and crashes every time i try to open it! yay!

panda21

its kind of amazing how there is not really any good mail app for android (aside from gmail). K9 is functional (and actually works unlike the default mail app) but kind of ugly.

seems like my phone is boned so i need to restore it, so I guess i may as well check out MIUI while i'm at it..

will my phone still be able to connect to 3g? like won't it need the apn (?) etc stuff for my service provider for that stuff to work? i have no idea what that is and i cant check because the settings app is broken.

oh and i'm kind of confused about the difference between ROM, firmware and kernels.. i'm following the CM7 instructions and its telling me to put ClockworkMod Recovery 4.0.1.4 on it. what is that? a kernel?

Will the original epic 4g ever get the upgrade to 2.3? Mine does the dumbest things and I can't afford a switch to wp7 or iOS. I seriously want to throw this thing out of a window sometimes.

rance said:
I'm too late for the HTC hate? Well, whatevs:

HTC phones are the worst. Ugly phones, ugly UI, and the Nexus 1 looks like butt.

Yes to the ugly UI, no to the ugly phones. Have you seen the Sensation? Legend? And the Nexus One was hawt. More than once I fondled its glowing trackball for no other reason than sheer admiration.

JonnyBrad

Greyface said:
The Best Alternative Android Apps to Manage All Your Email

... anyone want to join me in an email campaign to get these guys to make an Android email app?

The new stock mail app on ICS is actually quite good. Hell they seem to have even got exchange working properly.

As for the above listed i've tried them all.

Touchdown has the most function and is the best app imo. However if you like good looking UI's you're out of luck. It looks like something programmed in the 90's. Horrid.

Enhanced Mail is good, and he's just added Pinch/Zoom. However there are still a few missing features and the main problem is the dev team isn't a team at all. Its just a one man band. There are a lot of requests on his forum that get put on the todo list. Its also built on top of the stock client so comes with some of its disadvantages.

Mail Droid is ugly as hell but works ok. Not great.

K9Mail - its the best client unless you want Exchange - which as a free app it can't support.

If you like k9 mail, try out Kaiten Mail. Its the k9 mail's main devs side project. Think of it as k9mail but with a great UI.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.kaitenmail&hl=en

ps if they made sparrow on android i would use it. Its great.

OriginalThinking said:
Yes to the ugly UI, no to the ugly phones. Have you seen the Sensation? Legend? And the Nexus One was hawt. More than once I fondled its glowing trackball for no other reason than sheer admiration.
HTC phones look all the same. They're too cheap to invest in some new designs.

Circle T

The lack of OG Galaxy SII in this announcement is a little disturbing...

Android-Life said:
AT&T: Ice Cream Sandwich Will Make Its Way To The Galaxy SII Skyrocket And HTC Vivid

On November 6th, some of you might make your way into an AT&T store and pick up one of their newest 4G LTE devices. Both are delivered with Gingerbread, but AT&T has confirmed that both the Galaxy SII Skyrocket and the HTC Vivid will receive Ice Cream Sandwich in 2012. Not a total shocker seeing as how both these devices more than meet the needs of ICS.

The HTC Vivid is a definite ‘super-device’ with its 4.5″ display, 1.2GHz dual-core processor, and an enhanced 8MP camera capable of shooting 1080p and allowing for slow motion playback. The Skyrocket is the same Galaxy SII everyone knows and loves, but with the ability to tap into AT&T’s new LTE network on a new 1.5GHz dual-core processor. Can we expect more “updating to newest version of Android” love from AT&T in the future? I hope so.
http://an.droid-life.com/2011/11/04...tm_campaign=Feed:+Android-Life+(android+life)

Blackhead

Redarse
JonnyBrad said:
The new stock mail app on ICS is actually quite good. Hell they seem to have even got exchange working properly.

As for the above listed i've tried them all.

Touchdown has the most function and is the best app imo. However if you like good looking UI's you're out of luck. It looks like something programmed in the 90's. Horrid.

Enhanced Mail is good, and he's just added Pinch/Zoom. However there are still a few missing features and the main problem is the dev team isn't a team at all. Its just a one man band. There are a lot of requests on his forum that get put on the todo list. Its also built on top of the stock client so comes with some of its disadvantages.

Mail Droid is ugly as hell but works ok. Not great.

K9Mail - its the best client unless you want Exchange - which as a free app it can't support.

If you like k9 mail, try out Kaiten Mail. Its the k9 mail's main devs side project. Think of it as k9mail but with a great UI.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.kaitenmail&hl=en

ps if they made sparrow on android i would use it. Its great.
:) thanks for the recommendation. I hope Kaiten mail is released for ICS/the galaxy nexus.

Lesiroth

The Faceless Master said:
not impressed. look at the 2D and 3D sub-scores...
I don't think that benchmark is worth much, how would the 2D and 3D scores for the Galaxy Nexus and SGSII be almost equal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom