• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lesiroth said:
I don't think that benchmark is worth much, how would the 2D and 3D scores for the Galaxy Nexus and SGSII be almost equal?
also, i like how the CPU operation sub-scores are double the other devices... it has twice as many cores!

guys/ladies,

now that i have more free time soon as I'm going to be unemployed (which i hope wont be too long)

it's time to root/flash my desire to custom rom.

any suggestion for a minimal, stable, fast rom with stock android ui?

cheers,

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
panda21 said:
wow MIUI is amazing! kind of surprising how few people seem to use it

Yeah, well at least on GAF. Its a fantastic ROM and claims that its just an iOS clone is totally inaccurate. On my Inspire Ive gone back and tried other roms like Android Revolution, a Sense 3.5 rom, as well as CM7 and they just dont cut it anymore. MIUI is just so clean and simple, yet incredibly flexible and unmatched when it comes to theming.

panda21

is there anything that you can use to transfer files via wifi without having to use FTP? the samsung Kies thing for that was pretty sweet

kehs

Banned
panda21 said:
is there anything that you can use to transfer files via wifi without having to use FTP? the samsung Kies thing for that was pretty sweet

Most file explorers support windows/samba/etc shares. (File manager, es explorer)

You could also use websharing. That'll create a "host" on the device you can access through any browser within the network( you could do it through 3g too).

FoxSpirit

JonnyBrad said:
The new stock mail app on ICS is actually quite good. Hell they seem to have even got exchange working properly.

As for the above listed i've tried them all.

Touchdown has the most function and is the best app imo. However if you like good looking UI's you're out of luck. It looks like something programmed in the 90's. Horrid.

Enhanced Mail is good, and he's just added Pinch/Zoom. However there are still a few missing features and the main problem is the dev team isn't a team at all. Its just a one man band. There are a lot of requests on his forum that get put on the todo list. Its also built on top of the stock client so comes with some of its disadvantages.

Mail Droid is ugly as hell but works ok. Not great.

K9Mail - its the best client unless you want Exchange - which as a free app it can't support.

If you like k9 mail, try out Kaiten Mail. Its the k9 mail's main devs side project. Think of it as k9mail but with a great UI.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.kaitenmail&hl=en

ps if they made sparrow on android i would use it. Its great.
My only wish: hook up the phone to an external SUB DAC to use it as digital audio server. Any clue if it's properly supported on the API side?

artist

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
not impressed. look at the 2D and 3D sub-scores...

waiting on GL Benchmark, Smartbench, Quadrant Pro (why do so many 'reviewers' only use the free version of Quadrant!?)
Yeah, especially since its from Nvidia ..

JaseMath

So what's the consensus between the Prime, Razr and Rezound? What's the better phone? I'm pretty sure I'm going to get rid of this 4S by trading it for one of the three...can't seem to make up my mind, though I tend to think Samsung phones are crap.

pr0cs

Enduin said:
Yeah, well at least on GAF. Its a fantastic ROM and claims that its just an iOS clone is totally inaccurate. On my Inspire Ive gone back and tried other roms like Android Revolution, a Sense 3.5 rom, as well as CM7 and they just dont cut it anymore. MIUI is just so clean and simple, yet incredibly flexible and unmatched when it comes to theming.
MIUI is great but terrible for battery life on my SGS.
On something that has better support (ie: anything but Samsung) I would imagine MIUI is pretty awesome.
MIUI with a different launcher is great and still looks nothing like an Apple product.

The Faceless Master said:
not impressed. look at the 2D and 3D sub-scores...

waiting on GL Benchmark, Smartbench, Quadrant Pro (why do so many 'reviewers' only use the free version of Quadrant!?)

The real story here is that the Nexus is blow for blow the equal of an S2 which is supposed to have superior graphics and a better (Exynos) processor. Plus the Galaxy Nexus is pushing more pixels.

Blackhead

Redarse
JasonMCG said:
So what's the consensus between the Prime, Razr and Rezound? What's the better phone? I'm pretty sure I'm going to get rid of this 4S by trading it for one of the three...can't seem to make up my mind, though I tend to think Samsung phones are crap.
... None of us have so much as seen any of those phones in person, much less touched one or played with it enough to recommend. That said, I gave up my iPhone 4S and I'm eagerly waiting for the Nexus Prime Galaxy

JaseMath

Greyface said:
... None of us have so much as seen any of those phones in person, much less touched one or played with it enough to recommend. That said, I gave up my iPhone 4S and I'm eagerly waiting for the Nexus Prime Galaxy
I'm done with mine - iOS is sleek, but ffs...it's so limiting compared to Android.

I know no one has ever played with one, but I just thought with all the hands-on's, a few bloggers would have given a decent write-up between the three. All I could really find was THIS.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Zombie James said:
It's too iOS-like for my tastes. I prefer CM7.

It really isnt though. I dont know about you but this looks nothing like iOS, the theme packages available for MIUI are massive and can make the phone look like nothing else out there and are idiot proof to use.

pr0cs said:
MIUI is great but terrible for battery life on my SGS.
On something that has better support (ie: anything but Samsung) I would imagine MIUI is pretty awesome.
MIUI with a different launcher is great and still looks nothing like an Apple product.

Thats unfortunate, thankfully the Inspire has a rather large community with a lot of talented people supporting it with various kernels and tailored ROMs for the phone.

pr0cs

Enduin said:
Thats unfortunate, thankfully the Inspire has a rather large community with a lot of talented people supporting it with various kernels and tailored ROMs for the phone.
HTC in general has the best open source type support of all the manufacturers.
Still CM7 on the SGS has terrible battery life and odd bugs because the developers had to reverse engineer so much stuff from Samsung (and what little code they did get from Samsung was shit... or so I'm lead to believe)

The next phone I buy will definitely be a Google branded phone (Galaxy Nexus) or a HTC phone with good support.

Angst

pr0cs said:
HTC in general has the best open source type support of all the manufacturers.
Still CM7 on the SGS has terrible battery life and odd bugs because the developers had to reverse engineer so much stuff from Samsung (and what little code they did get from Samsung was shit... or so I'm lead to believe)

The next phone I buy will definitely be a Google branded phone (Galaxy Nexus) or a HTC phone with good support.
Isn't one of the CM guys working at Samsung now? I remember hearing that they would get better access officially via him.

Blackhead

Redarse
JasonMCG said:
I'm done with mine - iOS is sleek, but ffs...it's so limiting compared to Android.

I know no one has ever played with one, but I just thought with all the hands-on's, a few bloggers would have given a decent write-up between the three. All I could really find was THIS.
Well my decision was easily made because only the Galaxy Nexus is launching with ICS installed. I haven't been happy with previous versions of Android so the Razr and Rezound (and that LG 720p IPS display phone) won't be on my radar until they get ICS too.

gcubed

JasonMCG said:

Nexus
Razr
Rezound

In that order

kehs

Banned
Angst said:
Isn't one of the CM guys working at Samsung now? I remember hearing that they would get better access officially via him.

Cyanogen (the guy who started CM) is working at Samsung, but the two don't overlap.

The Razr, Vigor (Rezound, lol), and the Galaxy Nexus will be virtually equal as far as performance goes. They will all have ICS by February, so the main factors to consider are smaller. The Rezound (lol) has a great screen and comes with some respectable ear buds, but it also comes with a thickness I'm not a fan of. 1.5 vs. 1.2 GHz is not a factor, considering the GPU in the Razr & Nexus outperform the Qualcom GPU by a good margin. The camera is supposedly really good though and the extended battery (with extra thickness) is sure to help. The Razr is just fucking sexy. If it had NFC and an unlocked bootloader, I'd get that phone in a heartbeat. It's just the most visually appealing of the three. I know the screen's pixel density isn't as good as the others, but I'm hard pressed to notice a lack of pixels in the demo videos floating around. Then there's the Nexus. Looks great, snappy UI (that I can customize out of the box to my heart's desire), NFC which will rock with my wife also having one ("Here Kitty, check out this video" <tap>), speedy camera (I blame the fuzzy shots online on user error), and speedy updates from the source.

When all 3 phones are available (Nov. 17th, if the rumors hold), then I'll walk into the Verizon store and hold all 3 in my hand before making a decision, even though I've already decided that the Nexus is the phone my wife and I are getting. It's nice to see it's at least matching the GS2 in benchmarks.

Al-ibn Kermit

Lesiroth said:
http://blog.gsmarena.com/transformer-prime-benchmark-results-surface-make-you-stare-in-disbelief/

gsmarena_001.jpg

stupid question, but does this mean that it has 2 GB of RAM?

Motorola XOOM 2 gets SwiftKey X pre-installed

SwiftKey is making in-roads in the OEM market, just like Swype did before it. The third-party keyboard will be pre-installed on the upcoming Motorola XOOM 2 and XOOM 2 Media Edition, presumably in its tablet version. The software keyboard has become popular for its word prediction AI and easy customization. SwiftKey Tablet X is a $5 download in the Android Market, making it a slight value-add to the new XOOM.

Emily Chu said:
lol quad laughingbitches.exe

bat life like 2 hrs ?

Battery life should be better than most dual A9 devices, actually.

Those scores are showing perfect scaling across 4 cores, they're not really representative of real world performance.

irfan said:
Yeah, especially since its from Nvidia ..

The same Nvidia that have consistently been behind the industry standard in graphics performance in each successive SOC generation.

TBDR>IMR in the mobile space.

jokkir

What's the better launcher: LauncherPro or Go Launcher Ex?

In terms of consuming less resources, power, features and whatnot.

Thanks!

3phemeral

jokkir said:

Thanks!
I can't answer the resource question because I worry more about performance and stability, but I've bought all three launchers and ADW EX and Go Launcher are easily better the LP Pro is now. I actually prefer Go Launcher to all of those, though. It's like the best of ADW and LPP mixed with a little SPB Mobile shell.

In addition to that, I also really recommend this script:

Super Charger Script

Regardless of whatever launcher I had, over time (because I love widgets), I'd have a lot of slowdown. But that script makes my phone incredibly snappy. It's really vastly improved and works instantly. Like, literally, as soon as you reboot.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I been having battery issues lately (wasting large percents of battery in pocket) and today my 3g isnt working. Figured its a good time to start fresh again.

If I do a factory reset will my custom rom still be on the phone or does it remove that? Or should I just odin it up?

jokkir

3pheMeraLmiX said:
I can't answer the resource question because I worry more about performance and stability, but I've bought all three launchers and ADW EX and Go Launcher are easily better the LP Pro is now. I actually prefer Go Launcher to all of those, though. It's like the best of ADW and LPP mixed with a little SPB Mobile shell.

In addition to that, I also really recommend this script:

Super Charger Script

Regardless of whatever launcher I had, over time (because I love widgets), I'd have a lot of slowdown. But that script makes my phone incredibly snappy. It's really vastly improved and works instantly. Like, literally, as soon as you reboot.

That Super Charger thing looks pretty interesting but I don't want to do it yet when im under warranty. May do it soon though.

Oh and another question about Factory Reset in addition to above users question: What gets deleted exactly? Your contacts, apps or what?

kehs

Banned
dat Krait core

The Rumor

The ASUS Padfone, which has long been rumored as one of the first Tegra 3 smartphones, will actually be one of the first devices with Qualcomm’s new 28nm Snapdragon S4.

The first 28nm Snapdragon S4 processor will only be dual-core, but Qualcomm expects their new Krait core to be faster and use less power than NVIDIA’s quad-core Tegra 3.

http://androidandme.com/2011/11/news/rumor-first-28nm-snapdragon-s4-devices-to-arrive-by-february/

Pctx

Banned
I've concluded that I'm not getting a new phone until next March as long as i get ICS on my TF. Just too much good tech coming out to settle for second best.

Oozer3993

My sister has a Droid Incredible 2 and somehow managed to spill olive oil on it. The phone still functions fine, but the screen is all blurry. Does anybody know what her options are to get it fixed? Or is it borked?

pr0cs

jokkir said:

Thanks!
I bought LauncherPro and used it for quite a while before going fulltime with GoEx.
I use ColorizeWidgets as well to get the better featured Facebook/twitter widgets.

LauncherPro just isn't updated much anymore

Fatalah

Oozer3993 said:
My sister has a Droid Incredible 2 and somehow managed to spill olive oil on it. The phone still functions fine, but the screen is all blurry. Does anybody know what her options are to get it fixed? Or is it borked?

FreshRicotta.jpg

Sorry! It sounds like a bad situation. Of all things, olive oil?!

HooDoo

LauncherPro isn't updated at all. I used to be a rabid LP user but the lack of update and with all the shiznit I'm throwing at my Nexus S I was looking for some optimization.

I tried Go Launcher Ex a few times but I always went back to LP, until I spent some more time with GL Ex (and associated most of the Go apps to it) and I'm in love with my phone -again-.

I wish I could show my customization in the thread around here but I have no clue how to since it's not rooted. And the transition between desks, dear dear.. I love Go Launcher Ex.

Don't know if this is really the correct thread, but had to share my excited news. Just nabbed a 32GB Asus Transformer for $300 off of amazon. Supposedly "the accessories may have cosmetic flaws". It's being shipped from amazon and I have prime so it'll be here monday morning.

I mostly use my ipad 1 for internet browsing when on the road, which my dad's xoom does wayyy quicker (not shockingly since it's more powerful). Between that, micros SD, and HDMI out I'd decided to trade in. Didn't really like the screen on the Xoom though, so I went with the Transformer which supposedly is better, looked better in the youtube videos at least.

Any way. Wanted to share. Now I'm playing with power.

dejay

Banned
Hero_of_the_Day said:
Don't know if this is really the correct thread, but had to share my excited news. Just nabbed a 32GB Asus Transformer for $300 off of amazon. Supposedly "the accessories may have cosmetic flaws". It's being shipped from amazon and I have prime so it'll be here monday morning.

I mostly use my ipad 1 for internet browsing when on the road, which my dad's xoom does wayyy quicker (not shockingly since it's more powerful). Between that, micros SD, and HDMI out I'd decided to trade in. Didn't really like the screen on the Xoom though, so I went with the Transformer which supposedly is better, looked better in the youtube videos at least.

Cool. Don't know if you know, but there's a Transformer thread you can share the love in: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428370

Pctx

Banned
Hero_of_the_Day said:

Yes come on over and chill with us cool tablet owners.

Ashhong

Oh my God, Go Launcher is the answer to all my problems! I have been ahving an issue where my phone just lags like a bitch, especially when I install something. Installed GL and its so much better. Good shit. Damn me for paying for Launcher Pro.

Chopper

I only discovered launchers recently, and after trying out Launcher Pro, ADW and Go Ex, Go is easily the best. It was the only one where all your settings and options are clearly labelled and easily modified. I couldn't even work out how to change individual icons in LP. Using Go, I have spent hours customizing my screens. The Customization Thread is my new favourite place, thanks to some if the talented contributors on Gaf.

Ashhong

Nevermind, my phone still lags like a bitch after I install a new program. It's really annoying and I don't know what the problem is...

Ashhong

HTC HD2 running Hyperdroid rom. I know I know, it's not supposed to be Android. But it wasn't always like this and my friend running the exact same rom has no problems. I'm thinking it's my SD card or something? I am running sd-ext partition so all of my stuff is on my SD.

jokkir

pr0cs said:
I bought LauncherPro and used it for quite a while before going fulltime with GoEx.
I use ColorizeWidgets as well to get the better featured Facebook/twitter widgets.

LauncherPro just isn't updated much anymore

Is there anyway to get the same type of dock icons and app drawer as LauncherPro's, I think default, settings? Right now, I just prefer how LauncherPro looks cosmetically. Also seems to run better with the waterfall/3D app drawer than Go Launcher.

Too bad it isn't being updated as much (if at all) anymore :\

zbeeb

Ashhong said:
HTC HD2 running Hyperdroid rom. I know I know, it's not supposed to be Android. But it wasn't always like this and my friend running the exact same rom has no problems. I'm thinking it's my SD card or something? I am running sd-ext partition so all of my stuff is on my SD.

are you adding more and more stuff to sd? a fuller sd card may explain hiccups, especially lower class sd cards. if you have a blank sd, try that out and see if the same problem occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom