• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

zbeeb said:
are you adding more and more stuff to sd? a fuller sd card may explain hiccups, especially lower class sd cards. if you have a blank sd, try that out and see if the same problem occurs.

Yea I am, though I have like 3 gigs free on my main partition, and a gig free on the sd-ext partition on a 16gb card. Its just the stock card that came with it so I would assume it is in fact a lower end card. I want to get a better card but dont want to waste money and try it out and have it not be the problem. Wish I had extra cards :(

edit: just checked, I have a class 2 Sandisk card. Pretty low end card?

So I had to buy an emergency phone 2 days ago because I left mine in the back of a cab ;(

Ended up buying a prepaid HTC Wildfire s at a really cheap price... first Android phone though, what should I be downloading, what should I be deleting, etc.

giga

A single Krait core is faster than a single Cortex A9 core, but I don't know about them outperforming a quad core A9 (tegra 3) with a dual core Krait. It'll definitely use less power though thanks to 28nm. That's not hitting till the Cortex A15 in 2H 2012.

1d89g.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4940/qualcomm-new-snapdragon-s4-msm8960-krait-architecture/1

panda21

damn it MIUI. was pretty cool but it just spontaneously powered down my phone and then refused to boot until I wiped all the data..

trying cyanogen now...

GS II with 2 megapixel it seems.

According to the anandtech article the TI OMAP 4460 which I believe is used in the Galaxy Nexus is a 2 x ARM Cortex A9 w/ MPE @ 1.5GHz.

If that's the case why is the GN 1.2GHz only?

D'ultimate said:
GS II with 2 megapixel it seems.

According to the anandtech article the TI OMAP 4460 which I believe is used in the Galaxy Nexus is a 2 x ARM Cortex A9 w/ MPE @ 1.5GHz. If that's the case why is the GN 1.2 Ghz only?

It's recommended to be clocked between 1.2-1.5ghz. They probably went for the lower option to save on battery life, that screen is gonna suck up a hell of a lot of juice.

I see.

Next question. Does ICS have something similar to iMessage or BBM?

I'm thinking Google Voice but can you send MMS through that yet?

Chopper

Can anyone tell me where the font files are saved on my S2? I want to access them so that I can modify the preferred font of certain widgets, but I can't seem to find them anywhere...

jayb

D'ultimate said:
I see.

Next question. Does ICS have something similar to iMessage or BBM?

I'm thinking Google Voice but can you send MMS through that yet?
The Messenger app that comes with g+ can send text and photos. Gtalk is text only.

There's an app called Whatsapp that does it all and works on all mobile OSs.

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
my contracts been expired since September so i'm trying to decide between these two.

Galaxy S 2 $199 and Galaxy S 2 Skyrocket $250

LTE isn't available yet in my area but i was thinking of going for the Skyrocket anyway, for a future proofing decision.

Also the Skyrocket is the only one confirmed for the ICS update. Unless the original S2 gets it too then i can save 50 bucks.

Lesiroth

jayb said:
The Messenger app that comes with g+ can send text and photos. Gtalk is text only.

There's an app called Whatsapp that does it all and works on all mobile OSs.
Yep, I use WhatsApp and it works well for me.
I'd check Google Talk but the Google side on this matter seems to be a bit confusing with G+ and all.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
TheDiabolical said:
my contracts been expired since September so i'm trying to decide between these two.

Galaxy S 2 $199 and Galaxy S 2 Skyrocket $250

LTE isn't available yet in my area but i was thinking of going for the Skyrocket anyway, for a future proofing decision.

Also the Skyrocket is the only one confirmed for the ICS update. Unless the original S2 gets it too then i can save 50 bucks.

The HTC Vivid is gonna get ICS as well, but the Skyrocket is prolly the better choice

iavi

jokkir said:
Too bad it isn't being updated as much (if at all) anymore :\

Yeah, that big update was promised and never came. There hasn't been many substantial updates since. Pretty disappointing.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Sony Ericsson XPERIA Nozomi:

- 1.5 dual core CPU
- 4.3 inch 1280x720 screen (320 DPI)
- 1 GB RAM
- front facing camera
- running Gingerbread 2.3.5

nozomi-4.jpg

nozomi-3.jpg

nozomi-2.jpg

nozomi-1.jpg

nozomi-5.jpg

Ya know I would totally be down if Sony made next years Nexus phone.

SE phones have pretty much the best cameras on any android phone and there screens are great.

Not sure they would release a Nexus phone with some of Sony's own stuff like the Playstation certified stuff and any walkman and Bravia branding.

It would have to be a pure stock Android OS with no 3rd party BS to be a nexus phone I think so no chance of a Nexus Play or anything silly like that.

I just hope they move on from samsung. Not the biggest fan of there designs and build quality.

gcubed

zomgbbqftw said:
It's sad SE can't deliver their phones on time or I think this would have been the Nexus device. It is better than the Galaxy Nexus for sure and that resolution is just insane!
Um same resolution as the nexus. And most likely running a crappy qualcomm.

I really like the design of sonys phones, and they always feel good quality devices. But, I just wish that their ui wasn't so obtrusive and their record on delivering timely updates isn't great. But if they had the next Nexus phone ..... Ooooooh. Problems solved!

gcubed said:
Um same resolution as the nexus. And most likely running a crappy qualcomm.

But it is a 4.3" so it won't be anywhere near as unwieldy, I have pretty big hands and I could barely use the Galaxy Nexus when I had a go in London recently.

That is what I meant by delivery. SE should have been using MSM8660 since May like HTC and Krait based processors for their next generation out in February. The phone looks great and it will be competitive with the SGN, but it is not going to be out for another 3-4 months at least by which time Krait based processors will be filtering through and Kal-El will be hitting tablets.

Still, it's nice for SE to go out with a bang. I hope Sony have got plans for Krait and quad core phones for Q4 2012 or they may as well not bother showing up.

zomgbbqftw said:
But it is a 4.3" so it won't be anywhere near as unwieldy, I have pretty big hands and I could barely use the Galaxy Nexus when I had a go in London recently.

That is what I meant by delivery. SE should have been using MSM8660 since May like HTC and Krait based processors for their next generation out in February. The phone looks great and it will be competitive with the SGN, but it is not going to be out for another 3-4 months at least by which time Krait based processors will be filtering through and Kal-El will be hitting tablets.

Still, it's nice for SE to go out with a bang. I hope Sony have got plans for Krait and quad core phones for Q4 2012 or they may as well not bother showing up.

You used the Nexus? Thoughts?

DrFunk said:
Sony Ericsson XPERIA Nozomi:

- 1.5 dual core CPU
- 4.3 inch 1280x720 screen (320 DPI)
- 1 GB RAM
- front facing camera
- running Gingerbread 2.3.5

nozomi-4.jpg

nozomi-3.jpg

nozomi-2.jpg

nozomi-1.jpg

nozomi-5.jpg

Whoa, an XPERIA that doesn't look like shit. That looks downright sexy, even.

OriginalThinking said:
You used the Nexus? Thoughts?

ICS is great. The GN not so much. I think ICS on SGS2 would be amazing though. The GN is too big, too unwieldy. It's just huge in my hand, and I'm very comfortable using the Sensation (my current phone) so it's not like I'm used to something like an iPhone which is quite small.

I tried to fit it into my trouser pocket as well and that proved difficult as well because of the size.

ICS is really great though, Google have really cracked it this time. Stock ICS is better than any other phone experience including iOS (which I thought had the edge until now). I used it for about 10-20 minutes and there was no slowdown or lag at all. Transitions were buttery smooth and animations within the menus were just brilliant. Google have done a great job, and if any blog or website complains about Google not having smooth transitions they are lying to themselves and their readers out of pure spite or fanboyism. The SGS2 had poor transitions and my Sensation chugs sometimes but in the whole time I used the GN it was smooth, even with music playing, surfing a content heavy blog and downloading a trailer using tTorrent.

ICS will be a big success in pushing Android to the next level. The Galaxy Nexus, not so much.

kehs

Banned
zomgbbqftw said:
ICS is great. The GN not so much. I think ICS on SGS2 would be amazing though. The GN is too big, too unwieldy. It's just huge in my hand, and I'm very comfortable using the Sensation (my current phone) so it's not like I'm used to something like an iPhone which is quite small.

Decided to load up the three nexuses on phone arena, that has a size comparison thing:

5fqlxg.jpg

hmm, that does look to big, the Nexus S is perfect size for me.

zomgbbqftw said:

I tried to fit it into my trouser pocket as well and that proved difficult as well because of the size.

ICS is really great though, Google have really cracked it this time. Stock ICS is better than any other phone experience including iOS (which I thought had the edge until now). I used it for about 10-20 minutes and there was no slowdown or lag at all. Transitions were buttery smooth and animations within the menus were just brilliant. Google have done a great job, and if any blog or website complains about Google not having smooth transitions they are lying to themselves and their readers out of pure spite or fanboyism. The SGS2 had poor transitions and my Sensation chugs sometimes but in the whole time I used the GN it was smooth, even with music playing, surfing a content heavy blog and downloading a trailer using tTorrent.

ICS will be a big success in pushing Android to the next level. The Galaxy Nexus, not so much.

Nice! I'm presuming you aren't a fan of the Galaxy Nexus due to the size and plasticky hardware? Glad that you think its smooth, I'm very interested to see how that translates on tablets, assuming Motorola update the European 3G Xooms to ICS. Do you work for a tech blog or sumfink?

OriginalThinking said:
Nice! I'm presuming you aren't a fan of the Galaxy Nexus due to the size and plasticky hardware? Glad that you think its smooth, I'm very interested to see how that translates on tablets, assuming Motorola update the European 3G Xooms to ICS. Do you work for a tech blog or sumfink?

No, my brother-in-law works for Samsung UK in QA so he gets preview hardware all the time.

kamil

Neo Member
giga said:
A single Krait core is faster than a single Cortex A9 core, but I don't know about them outperforming a quad core A9 (tegra 3) with a dual core Krait. It'll definitely use less power though thanks to 28nm. That's not hitting till the Cortex A15 in 2H 2012.

1d89g.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4940/qualcomm-new-snapdragon-s4-msm8960-krait-architecture/1

First Kraits are supposed to be clocked at 1.5 Ghz compared to 1.3 - 1.4 Ghz for Tegra 3. I think its a given that Krait will outperform Tegra in single-threaded tasks but it won't come close multi-threaded (>2 cores) performance.
The GPU in first Snapdragon S4 processors will be around 50% faster than Adreno 220 so it will still fall short of Mali and SGX543 but will probably beat other current "off the shelf" SoC designs.
I am not sure what GPU performance can be expected from Tegra 3 but I don't think it will beat any record. Anand said that Tegra 3 die size will be around 30% smaller than A5 from iPad. And because Tegra 3 has 4 cores (5 actually if we count "companion" core) instead of 2 it will have way less die space for GPU compared to A5.

rc213 said:
Should have snapped some pics of the Sensation next to the GN.

Good thinking. I'll see if he still has it when he comes over tomorrow, but he might not be able to let me take pics since he's not really supposed to let anyone use it. I'll try and convince him.

W1SSY

Cyanogen on my Captivate is driving me mad. It was good for a week or so but now sometimes the screen goes black and won't come back on during the night. It seems like every morning I have to reboot my phone. Sadly this looks like a problem with most captivates running CM7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom