• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Sloth

Banned
Hey, so I recently got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 as a birthday present, but I know next to nothing about Android or tablets in general.

What are some stuff I should know and should be doing? Cool apps to download?

Chopper

Me said:
Can anyone tell me where the font files are saved on my S2? I want to access them so that I can modify the preferred font of certain widgets, but I can't seem to find them anywhere...

Sorry, posting for a new page. Has anyone got any idea? I can't find them at all. It doesn't make any sense!

Circle T

Chopper said:
Sorry, posting for a new page. Has anyone got any idea? I can't find them at all. It doesn't make any sense!
I believe the standard system fonts are located in /system/fonts. For Minimalistic Text widgets, I've always just put the fonts in a Fonts folder on my SD card, and then just pointed the app to that folder.

Chopper

Circle T said:
I believe the standard system fonts are located in /system/fonts. For Minimalistic Text widgets, I've always just put the fonts in a Fonts folder on my SD card, and then just pointed the app to that folder.
How would I "put fonts" in a folder? What's the standard format for fonts? Where do I get them?

There is no "system" folder on my S2. :(

El Sloth said:
Hey, so I recently got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 as a birthday present, but I know next to nothing about Android or tablets in general.

What are some stuff I should know and should be doing? Cool apps to download?

Couple of things. Don't use a task killer. Ignore anyone who tells you otherwise as they are running on 2 year old information.

Beyond that, just tell us some stuff you are interested in apps wise and we'll point you in the right direction!

Circle T

Chopper said:
How would I "put fonts" in a folder? What's the standard format for fonts? Where do I get them?

There is no "system" folder on my S2. :(
Android uses standard TrueType fonts (.ttf). Websites like DaFont are great places to get free, awesome fonts. They should all be in ttf format. LIke I said, I just made a folder on my SD card called "Fonts" and then put all of the fonts I want to use in there.

As for the system folder, you normally don't have access to that. Are you rooted? If you are, then you can use an app like Root Explorer to view those, normally hidden, system folders and files. If you aren't rooted, then I'm not sure if there is a way to easily do that.

What widget is it you are wanting to modify?

Blackhead

Redarse
Circle T said:
Are fonts installable i.e. can I add *ahem* helvetica.ttf to the fonts folder and see it served up to a webpage that requests it?

Circle T

Greyface said:
Are fonts installable i.e. can I add *ahem* helvetica.ttf to the fonts folder and see it served up to a webpage that requests it?
That much I don't know. I'm not sure how Android handles requests like that, and whether having a font in that folder would change anything for website rendering.

equap

Banned
what's the best lock screen replacement program? I'm using MagicLocker and it's pretty slow. only reason I'm using it is the ICS lockscreen for it.

El Sloth

Banned
OriginalThinking said:
Couple of things. Don't use a task killer. Ignore anyone who tells you otherwise as they are running on 2 year old information.

Beyond that, just tell us some stuff you are interested in apps wise and we'll point you in the right direction!
Well, I'm not really sure, ha ha. I guess a good Justin.TV/Twitch.TV streaming app? A good Reddit app? I'm not really sure. I've had an iPhone for a couple months now and the only app I've downloaded for that has been Alien Blue to check Reddit on my phone.

Actually, is there a Hulu Plus app? Oh and where's a good place to get wallpapers? I downloaded some wallpaper thing from the Android Market and all the stuff seemed like it sized for phones not tablets.

Al-ibn Kermit

The person sitting next to me in the library had a Galaxy Note, it was fucking huge. It was the same width as my TI-83 graphing calculator but a couple inches shorter. The screen looked really nice but of course you can't really use the phone one-handed.

antispin

equap said:
what's the best lock screen replacement program? I'm using MagicLocker and it's pretty slow. only reason I'm using it is the ICS lockscreen for it.
Try Live Locker. It's what I use: http://bit.ly/uyOSV6

That's a review of a slightly older version, some new features have been added since.

zbeeb

Ashhong said:
Yea I am, though I have like 3 gigs free on my main partition, and a gig free on the sd-ext partition on a 16gb card. Its just the stock card that came with it so I would assume it is in fact a lower end card. I want to get a better card but dont want to waste money and try it out and have it not be the problem. Wish I had extra cards :(

edit: just checked, I have a class 2 Sandisk card. Pretty low end card?

Yeah, class 2 is pretty slow, a class 6 or 10 (I've heard 6 is better for phones, something about better random access speeds or something) is ideal I believe.

See if a friend or someone has one to try out, but I imagine thats the problem.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Al-ibn Kermit said:
The person sitting next to me in the library had a Galaxy Note, it was fucking huge. It was the same width as my TI-83 graphing calculator but a couple inches shorter. The screen looked really nice but of course you can't really use the phone one-handed.
Don't be intimidated, its an awesome device

random question.

Why hasn't google partnered with someone to release a Nexus Tablet?

Google stepping up and releasing something and saying "here is what we think android tablets should be" seems like something that would be worth doing.

Chopper

Circle T said:
Android uses standard TrueType fonts (.ttf). Websites like DaFont are great places to get free, awesome fonts. They should all be in ttf format. LIke I said, I just made a folder on my SD card called "Fonts" and then put all of the fonts I want to use in there.

As for the system folder, you normally don't have access to that. Are you rooted? If you are, then you can use an app like Root Explorer to view those, normally hidden, system folders and files. If you aren't rooted, then I'm not sure if there is a way to easily do that.

What widget is it you are wanting to modify?
I have Minimalistic Text and the Circle Battery Widget on my homepage. So when I change the system font these get affected too, but I don't want them to change, as it ruins the effect of the hompage. From within the app I expected to be able to simply choose the default system font again. In fact there is clearly an option to expore and change fonts. It just seemed odd to me that those default fonts seem unavailable.

Edit: What is the difference between .ttf, .pkt and Flipfonts?

Al-ibn Kermit

DrFunk said:
Don't be intimidated, its an awesome device

It just seems really limited as a phone unless you wear a bluetooth headset everywhere. Having to use two hands to answer or ignore calls is a bit of an annoyance, plus of course it's way too big to fit into any pants pockets.

zoku88

funkystudent said:
random question.

Why hasn't google partnered with someone to release a Nexus Tablet?

Google stepping up and releasing something and saying "here is what we think android tablets should be" seems like something that would be worth doing.
they did, it was called the xoom

Given the price of the GN and lack of micro sd I'm leaning more towards the razr at the moment. My main concern is what sort of ui moto will slap across ICS, and Motorolas pretty slow approach to updates (uk still waiting on gingerbread for the atrix).

Things might have changed given their new owners but it's a lot of money to take a chance on.

gcubed

sionyboy said:
Given the price of the GN and lack of micro sd I'm leaning more towards the razr at the moment. My main concern is what sort of ui moto will slap across ICS, and Motorolas pretty slow approach to updates (uk still waiting on gingerbread for the atrix).

Things might have changed given their new owners but it's a lot of money to take a chance on.
Well, you lose the ability to get 48 gig of space I guess, but having 32gb built in makes it easier to swallow. So the higher capacity razr costs 370 (how much doesn't a fast 32gb microsd cost?)

Blackhead

Redarse
sionyboy said:

What's the price? Has that been announced yet? you're in the UK? I thought the Razr was a Verizon exclusive too.

gcubed said:
Well, you lose the ability to get 48 gig of space I guess, but having 32gb built in makes it easier to swallow. So the higher capacity razr costs 370 (how much doesn't a fast 32gb microsd cost?)

I'm not even sure if the 32gb GN is going to make it to the UK, the 16gb is on preorder at £520 so god knows what the 32gb would cost. 16gb razr is on preorder at £444, and I've already got a couple 16/32gb cards I could use. (new 32gb would be around £30)

Greyface, UK is getting the razr, albeit without the 4g capabilities and no Droid branding.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Greyface said:
What's the price? Has that been announced yet? you're in the UK? I thought the Razr was a Verizon exclusive too.

There's a GSM Razr, even with ATT bands

It just seems really limited as a phone unless you wear a bluetooth headset everywhere. Having to use two hands to answer or ignore calls is a bit of an annoyance, plus of course it's way too big to fit into any pants pockets.

You don't need to hands to answer, unless you have doll-sized hands. It's not nearly as unwieldy as it looks, and fits perfectly in my jeans and dress slacks. If you get a chance, you should manhandle it, it's more pocketable than people think.

HooDoo

Anybody knows if the Vignette app is still being supported ? I'm about to buy it to go along with the soon to be mine Nexus Galaxy (fuck that Galaxy Nexus name).

panda21

is there a good facebook widget that shows a scrollable list, like the launcher pro one? i want one that works with adw. twitter as well

Circle T

Chopper said:
I have Minimalistic Text and the Circle Battery Widget on my homepage. So when I change the system font these get affected too, but I don't want them to change, as it ruins the effect of the hompage. From within the app I expected to be able to simply choose the default system font again. In fact there is clearly an option to expore and change fonts. It just seemed odd to me that those default fonts seem unavailable.

Edit: What is the difference between .ttf, .pkt and Flipfonts?
I've never personally heard of a .pkt file, so I don't know what they are. FlipFont is mobile font application that some manufacturers use to simplify getting and changing fonts. But .ttf is a standard font format, used on phones, computers, etc. That is why they are preferred, as you can find many more of them to use.

Circle Battery uses whatever you have the default system font set to, so there is no way to change it to something different than what you have the system set to. The default system fonts are normally "Hidden" to the end user, that is why they don't show up.

Minimalistic Text widgets, on the other hand, can be changed to any specific font you want. Just find the fonts you want to use (in .ttf format), and place them in a folder on your SD card. Then from within Minimalistic Text, just point it to that folder.....

Global Settings --> Fonts Folder --> *font folder*

Then, when you are setting up a widget, it gives you the option to adjust 3 different font styles (Normal, Accented, Non-Accented). When you click on each of those, the first option it asks you to set is "Font Family". Since you have now pointed the app to your font folder, any font in that folder will now show up to choose between. Just choose the font you want, and then continue setting it up as you normally would.

Anyone else notice that it seems like there isn't an ultimate Android phone? There isn't a phone with the ultimate in specs and software combined. All the top tiered one seem to be lacking something. Screen size, processor, camera, software, gpu.

The closest one that it seems is the forthcoming GS2 LTE and even that will be missing ICS initially.

What's up with that Android?!

D'ultimate said:
Anyone else notice that it seems like there isn't an ultimate Android phone? There isn't a phone with the ultimate in specs and software combined. All the top tiered one seem to be lacking something. Screen size, processor, camera, software, gpu.

The closest one that it seems is the forthcoming GS2 LTE and even that will be missing ICS initially.

Every manufacturer got the access to the same hardware?

panda21

W1SSY said:
Cyanogen on my Captivate is driving me mad. It was good for a week or so but now sometimes the screen goes black and won't come back on during the night. It seems like every morning I have to reboot my phone. Sadly this looks like a problem with most captivates running CM7.

interesting, I had that problem with my GS2 on stock firmware. I think its a common problem with them, sometimes if you leave it locked too long it won't wake up.

not happened recently though

D'ultimate said:

You have to leave them wanting that bit more. No 8mp camera or sd card slot on GN? Samsung have an SGS3 in 6 months that'll solve that.

gcubed

sionyboy said:
I'm not even sure if the 32gb GN is going to make it to the UK, the 16gb is on preorder at £520 so god knows what the 32gb would cost. 16gb razr is on preorder at £444, and I've already got a couple 16/32gb cards I could use. (new 32gb would be around £30)

Greyface, UK is getting the razr, albeit without the 4g capabilities and no Droid branding.
Yea didn't know you were in the UK. I think the 32gb is only on the LTE phone

Mordeccai

Is there an app on the market I can use to emulate NES/SNES games? I am semi drooling over here thinking about the Prime, ICS, and Chrono Trigger...

zbeeb

Pctx said:
Played with the Razr for 20 minutes.....

Not impressed one bit.

Yeah, we got one in store at work the other day. It is significantly bigger than the s2 and experiences a lot more lag.

I do like what Motorola has done with blur though, actually would fit in pretty well with ICS

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Mordeccai said:
Is there an app on the market I can use to emulate NES/SNES games? I am semi drooling over here thinking about the Prime, ICS, and Chrono Trigger...

Tiger something

it's a lot of them actually...well they might be on the android market anymore but a few floated over to amazon.

Pctx

Banned
zbeeb said:
Yeah, we got one in store at work the other day. It is significantly bigger than the s2 and experiences a lot more lag.

I do like what Motorola has done with blur though, actually would fit in pretty well with ICS
However the point of ICS is to have that craptastic launcher skins. i pray to the lord that all devices that get ICS have the ability to swap third party skins unless you want to use them.

Blackhead

Redarse
Mordeccai said:
Oh yeah, that reminds me — iControlPad now at Thinkgeek. $75:

LSiZn.jpg

don't need to jailbreak to use it with emulators on Android :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom