• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, quick question. So i have had now two Android phones and i can never quite figure out how to convert a whole bunch of wmv/flv videos to mp4 or whatever the file it is that android supports. Can anyone point me in the right direction for an app or program to help convert my files so i can watch tv shows/movies on my android? I tried to use handbrake but either im doing something wrong or handbrake does not work as usually a few minutes into conversion i get errors and it stops.

Chopper

Circle T said:
I've never personally heard of a .pkt file, so I don't know what they are. FlipFont is mobile font application that some manufacturers use to simplify getting and changing fonts. But .ttf is a standard font format, used on phones, computers, etc. That is why they are preferred, as you can find many more of them to use.

Circle Battery uses whatever you have the default system font set to, so there is no way to change it to something different than what you have the system set to. The default system fonts are normally "Hidden" to the end user, that is why they don't show up.

Minimalistic Text widgets, on the other hand, can be changed to any specific font you want. Just find the fonts you want to use (in .ttf format), and place them in a folder on your SD card. Then from within Minimalistic Text, just point it to that folder.....

Global Settings --> Fonts Folder --> *font folder*

Then, when you are setting up a widget, it gives you the option to adjust 3 different font styles (Normal, Accented, Non-Accented). When you click on each of those, the first option it asks you to set is "Font Family". Since you have now pointed the app to your font folder, any font in that folder will now show up to choose between. Just choose the font you want, and then continue setting it up as you normally would.
Thanks for this info. Da Font is indeed an awesome site. I've just about got my head around this. However, if I want to change the system font, I have to pick from the Flipfonts I have installed. There doesn't appear to be an option to use .ttf files.

Edit: I'm unrooted.

K444WSR

Can anyone shed any info on the xperia mini pro that was released a few months ago. O2 are currently selling it for £130 and I was thinking of getting it. Main selling point for me is the form factor for me.

tino

Banned
EvilDick34 said:
Hi guys, quick question. So i have had now two Android phones and i can never quite figure out how to convert a whole bunch of wmv/flv videos to mp4 or whatever the file it is that android supports. Can anyone point me in the right direction for an app or program to help convert my files so i can watch tv shows/movies on my android? I tried to use handbrake but either im doing something wrong or handbrake does not work as usually a few minutes into conversion i get errors and it stops.
Install roboplayer, rock player and vital player. One or all of them can these files for you.

Lesiroth

K444WSR said:
Can anyone shed any info on the xperia mini pro that was released a few months ago. O2 are currently selling it for £130 and I was thinking of getting it. Main selling point for me is the form factor for me.
My friend has it, it's a pretty decent phone with an awesome keyboard.

clav

No ICS updates for the Evo 4G and Evo Shift 4G.

Why are those phones excluded?

The too old argument would be an immature excuse.

kehs

Banned
claviertekky said:
No ICS updates for the Evo 4G and Evo Shift 4G.

Why are those phones excluded?

The too old argument would be an immature excuse.

The current firmware on there is so awesome that ICS would be a downgrade.

andycapps

EvilDick34 said:

Just use Moboplayer and play them all.

SimleuqiR

Wads said:
Key words: "First wave"

first_wave_tn1.jpg

JCX

I'd think the original EVO will get ICS eventually, since it was such a popular phone and isn't really that old, but Nexus isn't geting updated, so who knows.

Revoh

What ROM do you guys recommend for a Galaxy S i9000? I have used Cyanogenmod a few months ago and was buggy as hell, I know a stable version has been released recently but haven't tried it yet. I installed MIUI yesterday, it's gorgeous but has awful battery life, and my mobile network doesn't work so it has to go.

Pctx

Banned
DrFunk said:
More details!
General impressions of the RAZR:

So yesterday.... got discharged from the Hospital after having my kid (whole other topic and story behind that...) and I had to go pick up a school book from class from a friend who happens to be a VZ sales rep at a store.

Of course all the VZW stores now have the RAZR's out to play with since they are going on sale later this week.

I picked it up.

Immediately the thing felt nice in the hand. Obviously the security device is not helpful in gauging the weight of the product but whatever. The fit and finish of the phone is probably the best of any Android phone to date. The back is slightly textured with a checkerboard pattern and Motorola has taken Apple's approach of adding: "Designed+Imagined by Motorola Made in China" or something like that. I thought... "Really?" It really is the thinnest phone I've seen that amazingly can last a day or more on LTE and look good doing it. Kudos to them for that.

So... the buttons on it. I HATE the power button on the side. HATE, HATE HATE! I have no idea who thought this was a good idea, but it is awkward for turning it on and off again. One could argue that a 4.3" screen would be awkward in turning it off on top, but I'm just too used to that... so that is my bias. Mini-HDMI (I believe) and microSD card slots on the side from a flip down panel are there. No removable battery will have some folks up in arms.

The software.
Gingerbread 2.3.5 w/ MotoBlur Lite. I'm not a fan of any real UI changes or cosmetic upgrades over stock and I'm still hoping that come ICS, launchers or skins are optional to the user. You have your typical widgets + some special ones that are MotoBlur trademarked such as social widgets, battery, wi-fi etc. The screens moved fairly fluidly back and forth. One thing that again (I HATE!) is the apps button on MotoBlur Lite is just a box on the launcher pad at the bottom. No idea why, but whatever. Also once inside the app drawer, things move from right to left and left to right instead of up to down. I believe this was a customization of MotoBlur and not stock Gingerbread and works akin to the way Honeycomb app scrolling does.

Notification tray has a translucent element to it when pulling it down that I think was introduced on the first Atrix phone and now seems to be customary on all Moto Android phones. Looks good and adds a nice touch. Typical VZW bloat, not sure if its removable or not.

Keyboard.
Sucks and sucks hard. By far the worst of the keyboards I've used. To give you a ranking of keyboards (from my vantage point):
iPhone/iPad
Windows Phone 7
Android Honeycomb
others.

Text prediction of the Moto keyboard wasn't great and the keys were too smashed together for my liking. Of course, this is Android so feel free to replace it with a keyboard of choice.

Web browsing:
I couldn't really test "4G" since the display model (for some reason) was stuck on 3G CDMA. Web browsing was decent but not as fast Honeycomb's default browser IMO. NeoGAF loaded up fine and pinch to zoom worked fast.

Overall:
I think with all of the new tech (and I mean new tech... not spec bumped tech that we're getting right now) the RAZR will find its place amongst the DROID faithful, however, with the 720p phones coming out later this month and throughout the next year, I see no reason to get a 480x800 or qHD 960x540 display at this point since ICS is going to be 1280x720. You also have to think about upgrade paths and the fact that this thing will be carrier locked for updates. With all of the amazing phones slated to come out in the next 3 months, I don't see it being a "Must buy" but it is currently the best Android offering in terms of packaging to date.
HOWEVER, the reason why I said I was not impressed is because Gingerbread feels stale. (pun intended). Honeycomb is awesome and ICS is an improvement of that. I feel like if you're buying a smart phone in 2011 you should have Honeycomb or better on it. Android is as much as the software as it is the hardware. I feel like that is why I don't get excited about anything coming out on 2.3.5 Gingerbread now even though its slated to get ICS in 2012 sometime.

Lesiroth

rodrigoviola said:
What ROM do you guys recommend for a Galaxy S i9000? I have used Cyanogenmod a few months ago and was buggy as hell, I know a stable version has been released recently but haven't tried it yet. I installed MIUI yesterday, it's gorgeous but has awful battery life, and my mobile network doesn't work so it has to go.
That last problem can be fixed by flashing an appropriate modem and adding the APNs for your provider.

And I definitely wish I could use MIUI on my i9000 but the lack of proper video playback support and terrible battery life deters me for now.

Takuan

I OTA updated my GS2 to 2.3.4 and now Kies doesn't run when I hook it up to the PC. All I want to do is transfer some files on my work PC to the phone, god damn it. Why isn't it available on my apps list? It's never been there, it used to just start automatically whenever a PC connection was detected. I've always had Kies Air, which is not an option for me due to the bandwidth it'd consume.

Circle T

Chopper said:
Thanks for this info. Da Font is indeed an awesome site. I've just about got my head around this. However, if I want to change the system font, I have to pick from the Flipfonts I have installed. There doesn't appear to be an option to use .ttf files.

Edit: I'm unrooted.
Since you are unrooted, then yes, changing system fonts can only be done with whatever FlipFonts you have installed.

If you were rooted, you could use Type Fresh to change system fonts as well. This app basically lets you overwrite any of the system fonts with any font of your choosing, in .ttf format as well. That is what I've used, and it works pretty well, once you figure everything out.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
HTC-Edge.jpg

Meet the HTC Edge: reportedly the company's first -- and probably one of the world's first -- cellphone powered by a quad-core processor. Information from a reliable source paints Edge as a premium handset incorporating the latest mobile technologies -- for the most part.

The 4.7-inch Edge will allegedly be slightly over ten millimeters thick, and appears to be very much the successor to the just-unveiled Rezound/Vigor, as it should feature the same 720p resolution, 1GB of RAM, and backlit eight-megapixel camera with 28-millimeter, f/2.2 lens. The major improvement, then, would be Edge's supposed AP30 Tegra 3 CPU from Nvidia, which offers four 1.5GHz cores to Rezound's two. Internal storage will likely be bumped to 32GB, while the Bluetooth radio should hit version 4.0. Naturally, Beats Audio enhancements would be part of the package.

Edge may also see the rollout of new or improved HTC content services, such as the previously tipped HTC Listen music store, HTC Read bookstore, and HTC Play gaming hub; the HTC Watch movie portal will reportedly begin to offer HD fare. Additionally, Edge could be one of the first Sense 4.0 devices.

One thing that wasn't mentioned was LTE capability, with Edge only said to support 21Mbps HSDPA; it's possible that carrier-specific variants will still offer this highly-desired functionality. Also absent was mention of a specific version of Android, although if it doesn't ship with Ice Cream Sandwich (fairly unlikely), an upgrade would surely be deployed in short order.

We're expecting Edge to arrive in late Q1/early Q2 of next year.

http://pocketnow.com/android/htc-edge-first-quad-core-phone-revealed-images

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It has buttons! WTH man?

Still a VERY attractive device though.. Looks heavy. In a good way.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I'm starting to feel wary of getting a Nexus Galaxy what with quad core phones right around the corner. But yeah, what the hell with the buttons.

Jtwo said:
It has buttons! WTH man?

Still a VERY attractive device though.. Looks heavy. In a good way.

Really? I think it's one of HTC's least attractive designs. And it looks so wide, wide enough to make me question if it's 16:9.

kehs

Banned
JCX said:
buttons4lyfe

I was looking at the Arc S....and I kinda have to agree. The more I think about it, the shittier the implementation seems for ICS on screen buttons.

I can already see the bitching for "burn in".

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Its definitely big and honking, but I like it. It just looks solid and plain. I think its pretty generic, but if they use some really high quality materials that would be a phone I'd be proud to sport.

rozay

Banned
Copernicus said:
I was looking at the Arc S....and I kinda have to agree. The more I think about it, the shittier the implementation seems for ICS on screen buttons.

Going to wait until I can hold one in my hand-I can't hit the 4 soft keys on american galaxy S/S2s easily with my thumb like I can on my N1, so if the placement of them is as hand friendly as they look, I'll take those any day over cramming 4 tiny buttons at the bottom of the screen.

Angst

rodrigoviola said:
I would definitely recommend CM nightlies. AFAIK the only thing that doesn't work is HDMI out.

gcubed

Copernicus said:

sweet! where are you seeing these plasma screened phones?!

rodrigoviola said:

Personally use Darkyrom JVT its pretty plain but battery life has been outstanding for me.

rozay

Banned
gcubed said:
sweet! where are you seeing these plasma screened phones?!
AMOLEDs can exhibit burn in. My N1 has temporary screen retention and there were various people who experienced burn-in of the status bar on 2.2 and below.

gcubed

rozay said:
AMOLEDs can exhibit burn in. My N1 has temporary screen retention and there were various people who experienced burn-in of the status bar on 2.2 and below.

well look at me being an ill informed ass.

But how do you burn in your device, it would need to be on for hours at a time.

rozay

Banned
gcubed said:

I have no idea why it happens, but if I have the gingerbread keyboard on my screen for a few seconds then pull down the gray colored notification shade, I can clearly make out the button shapes for a second or two before they fade away. Before you call me crazy, it's not transparent :p

gcubed said:

Amoled screens do have a tendency to burn in, moreso than plasma. It doesn't have to be on for hours to burn in, and its not like the burn-in of old, pixels just degrade and colour shift over time the more they are used. Its one of the reasons why the Galaxy S devices have gone for black menus and status bars to stop pixels lighting and degrading (that and it helps conserve power to)

gcubed

sionyboy said:
Amoled screens do have a tendency to burn in, moreso than plasma. It doesn't have to be on for hours to burn in, and its not like the burn-in of old, pixels just degrade and colour shift over time the more they are used. Its one of the reasons why the Galaxy S devices have gone for black menus and status bars to stop pixels lighting and degrading (that and it helps conserve power to)

learn something new every day. thanks. Never noticed it on my N1 prior to the black notification bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom