• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pctx

Banned
DrFunk said:
HTC-Edge.jpg

http://pocketnow.com/android/htc-edge-first-quad-core-phone-revealed-images
Another garbage phone by HTC.

Circle T

I've noticed on my Captivate that the Wifi/Data and battery indicators can be seen at times on apps that go full screen, like in games. Jelly Defense, specifically, as it has some black bars on the right and left of the game for menu items, and if you look really close, you can make out where those indicators were. So, it happens, but isn't very noticeable.

Granted, this was on my Captivate and its standard SAMOLED screen, and you had to look really close to even see it. I've noticed no such thing happening on my Droid Charge, which has SAMOLED+.

kamil

Neo Member
DrFunk said:

Looks nice but I don't think the article is correct. HTC is pretty consistent in using HTC SoCs and there is no quad-core Snapdragon planned for the first half of 2012. And if HTC was to dump Qualcomm chips first quarter of 2012 would be the worst moment to do so as Qualcomm will release highly competitive new architecture based on 28nm process around that time.

HeySeuss

I have an incredible from launch. On several occasions all of my texts completely erased on their own, even the ones I had locked. Now because it was only text messages I didn't really mind much. Yesterday, the same thing happened only this time to my photo gallery, wiping EVERYTHING.

Is this a hardware or a software issue? And does anybody know what I can do to make sure it doesn't happen again?

Circle T

DrFunk said:
5.3 club whoop whoop
I'm just waiting, patiently, for the White version to become available, and I'll be joining the club. Everywhere lists it as "Coming soon" still, so who knows.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Circle T said:
I'm just waiting, patiently, for the White version to become available, and I'll be joining the club. Everywhere lists it as "Coming soon" still, so who knows.

Shouldn't be too much longer, I've heard December. Meanwhile, that white HTC Vivid is lovely.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
sionyboy said:
Amoled screens do have a tendency to burn in, moreso than plasma. It doesn't have to be on for hours to burn in, and its not like the burn-in of old, pixels just degrade and colour shift over time the more they are used. Its one of the reasons why the Galaxy S devices have gone for black menus and status bars to stop pixels lighting and degrading (that and it helps conserve power to)

This is true. The notifications bar on my Infuse is actually grayer than my girlfriend's Infuse (her's is 3 months newer than mine). My screen is definitely losing a bit of its color clarity and saturation. Nothing striking, but I compared the two devices and when I suspected and began to notice some mild degradation.

Shick Brithouse said:
I have an incredible from launch. On several occasions all of my texts completely erased on their own, even the ones I had locked. Now because it was only text messages I didn't really mind much. Yesterday, the same thing happened only this time to my photo gallery, wiping EVERYTHING.

Is this a hardware or a software issue? And does anybody know what I can do to make sure it doesn't happen again?

Eesh, yikes. That would REALLY piss me off. The text thing has happened to me before, but not the Gallery thing.

However, and I forget if it was native to Picasa or G+, but there is a feature out there where as soon as you take a picture/video, it auto-uploads it to your Picasa account. It was perfect for me since I'm lazy as hell and can't be bothered to upload the pictures myself.

Circle T

DrFunk said:
Shouldn't be too much longer, I've heard December. Meanwhile, that white HTC Vivid is lovely.
I haven't actually seen the white Vivid yet. I'm probably going to carry the Vivid as my work phone soon, since the Inspire is now EOL'd (as is the Infuse and Thrill, btw). I played with the Vivid a bit last week, though. It's a decent phone, and the screen is nice, but I just don't really like Sense. Oh well. I hardly ever use my work phone, so no biggie.

see5harp

So I own a couple Korg synth/sequencers for iOS along with the new Moog synth Animoog. Is there any indication that Android will ever get music production support from the legit hardware/software players out there? I was thinking about scoring a cheaper tablet to just explore this marketplace but I hardly see any sites mention that part of the Android marketplace.

Revoh

Lesiroth said:
That last problem can be fixed by flashing an appropriate modem and adding the APNs for your provider.

And I definitely wish I could use MIUI on my i9000 but the lack of proper video playback support and terrible battery life deters me for now.

Yeah, the default video player is awful, and I can't believe how bad the battery life is with this ROM.

Angst said:
I would definitely recommend CM nightlies. AFAIK the only thing that doesn't work is HDMI out.

Will try the stable version in a few minutes.

colinisation said:
Personally use Darkyrom JVT its pretty plain but battery life has been outstanding for me.

I've used DarkyROM for about 3 months, don't know exactly what version was but was kinda buggy, I probably should try a new version but I like to try several ROMs to keep things fun.

rozay

Banned
see5harp said:
No one has any idea about music production on android? Come on you guys are the 1% who would know.
USB audio support is new to android, when 4.0 gets more widespread the big players might release apps.

kehs

Banned
Speaking of spending money on things you don't really need, any recommendations for bill keeping/reminders? I'm currently using astrid tasks to remind me of that stuff, but I kinda want a more dedicated app. I know there's stuff like Mint and Pageonce, but I don't need it to be all integrated like that, don't feel comfortable with third parties having my financial log ins.

thespot84

Copernicus said:
Speaking of spending money on things you don't really need, any recommendations for bill keeping/reminders? I'm currently using astrid tasks to remind me of that stuff, but I kinda want a more dedicated app. I know there's stuff like Mint and Pageonce, but I don't need it to be all integrated like that, don't feel comfortable with third parties having my financial log ins.

My rule for that stuff is if the company is VC backed (like pageonce) they're are enough lawyers around I'll trust them with my logins. Plus mint is owned by intuit, so if that's the cuase of your hesitance I might still check it out. My only knock against mint is that intuit makes it a bitch to get your data back unless it's going to another intuit product (quickbooks).

anMoney was 1/2 off on amazon the other day, don't know anything about it though. Real helpful i know

Angst

rodrigoviola said:
Will try the stable version in a few minutes.
There is currently no "Stable" CM for the SGS2. They did release a stable a few weeks back, but due to some bugs they downgraded it to RC instead. That's why I recommend going with the latest nightly as that actually has less bugs than the release originally marked as stable. If that makes any sense...

Qwell

Well I just ordered my first Android device today, decided on Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, it will be my work phone (go go gadget free phone) I have a feeling it will be quite the upgrade considering I'm coming from a Blackberry Curve 8900 and considering the stupid thing can't even open up a voicemail attachment from our Fonality server. Should be here wednesday woot.

dejay

Banned
Kagami said:
Today is a happy day.

14b40ew.jpg

Wow - that's kinda cool. I love the flexibility of Android - it's on a tonne of devices and it scales so nicely.

I'm mentally evaluating my pocket sizes now after seeing that form factor - I basically use my phone for 5% calls, 95% computing/media consumption, so a mini-tablet that can fit in your pocket has some appeal.

tino

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
HTC still running with HD2 remixes eh
Stop hating. i don't care about the look if it has better screen than Nexus Galaxy and FOUR cpu. At least looks better than padfone.

def sim

That phone could have eight cores and fifty hours of battery life, I wouldn't buy it because it's ugly. HTC has no sense of style at all.

outsidah

dejay said:
Wow - that's kinda cool. I love the flexibility of Android - it's on a tonne of devices and it scales so nicely.

I'm mentally evaluating my pocket sizes now after seeing that form factor - I basically use my phone for 5% calls, 95% computing/media consumption, so a mini-tablet that can fit in your pocket has some appeal.

I think it's a really cool device for everything but talking on the phone. A Bluetooth headset would be essential but at other times when you wouldn't want to use a headset it would look funny when you plaster it to your ear.

kehs

Banned
thespot84 said:
My rule for that stuff is if the company is VC backed (like pageonce) they're are enough lawyers around I'll trust them with my logins. Plus mint is owned by intuit, so if that's the cuase of your hesitance I might still check it out. My only knock against mint is that intuit makes it a bitch to get your data back unless it's going to another intuit product (quickbooks).

anMoney was 1/2 off on amazon the other day, don't know anything about it though. Real helpful i know

My hesitance stems more from explicit agreements with the cc/bank that usually have a clause that if your data has ever been access by a third party on your behalf, then if anything goes wrong, you're pretty much on your own. Unless your institution and the third have specific partnerships you're not really in the clear. I'll try to dig up the security article I read a few months ago.

jayb

see5harp said:
Okay that looks pretty cool. I didn't even know that was already out for iOS. I'm looking for more standalone synths that can be controlled via USB/midi though like Animoog.

I'd be interested in Android synths or samplers just to play around with. Are there a lot available on iOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom