• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagami

dream said:
Is that a phone or a tablet?
Even Samsung isn't sure!

dtrack said:
How well do existing apps from the market run on it? Any pixellaton or performance issues?
Some apps don't use the full screen properly, like Raging Thunder 2 for example, seems like it's running in an 800x480 or maybe 960x540 rectangle.
Fruit Ninja (the non-HD one) seems to be rendering at lower res and then scaling to the screen.
Other games looks gorgeous though, like Corby.
The non-game apps I've used seem to mostly adjust to the screen normally, but I haven't tried a huge number yet.
I imagine the situation is similar to tablets with the same resolution (1280x800).

kehs

Banned
Kagami said:
Even Samsung isn't sure!

Some apps don't use the full screen properly, like Raging Thunder 2 for example, seems like it's running in an 800x480 or maybe 960x540 rectangle.
Fruit Ninja (the non-HD one) seems to be rendering at lower res and then scaling to the screen.
The non-game apps I've used seem to mostly adjust to the screen normally, but I haven't tried a huge number yet.
I imagine the situation is similar to tablets with the same resolution (1280x800).

HC gives you the opportunity to scale up to fill the screen, so once ICS hits the Note you shuld be good.

kehs

Banned
Azzurri said:
Is anyone buying the Razr over the Galaxy Nexus

I was considering it, but there's Razr with T-Mo bands.

=(

thuway said:
Any ideas when the Note will hit USA?

It's not on samsung's plans, doubt any big carrier will bring it over either.

dream

But seriously, someone recommend a good Instapaper client that uses Marco's API instead of just scraping the web site. Coperdickus is useless when it comes to recommending useful products.

ShdwDrake

Banned
alternade said:
HTC really is defunct in the design category. Pretty much every phone they've put out after the EVO has been the same shape and aesthetic. I look at the Sony Arc and thats a design.

Sony has the best looking phones thats for sure.

kehs

Banned
dream said:
But seriously, someone recommend a good Instapaper client that uses Marco's API instead of just scraping the web site. Coperdickus is useless when it comes to recommending useful products.

Fucking Instapaper, I still can't wrap my head around it's use.

Blackhead

Redarse
Kagami said:
Even Samsung isn't sure!

Are you having the same issues with the stylus button that many of reviewers were having? (Is it something you could get used?) How robust is the Samsung note app? Can it make annotated PDFs?

thuway said:
This hurts me so. I really want the Galaxy Note.
the cost of importing the Galaxy Nexus is slowly creeping towards the price of the Galaxy Note :|

dream

Copernicus said:
Fucking Instapaper, I still can't wrap my head around it's use.

I feel the same way about Android sometimes

100% serious - it's my killer app. I use or interact with it at least 10 times a day.

dream said:
I use Pulse. I was interested in Instapaper once, but after reading that guy Marco's blog I won't touch the thing.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is anyone else having massive amounts of problems with Google Listen? I like that it uses Google Reader for feed subscriptions, since that means I can use Reader on my computer to manage them (I already use Reader for other RSS feeds), but other than that the app is almost unusable. Some of the problems I'm having:

- It doesn't automatically download new podcasts even though I've set it to do so.
- Clicking "Download" on an episode to make it happen manually does nothing. A download never occurs. The only way I can get an episode to download is to queue it up, navigate to it in the player (using the Previous/Next buttons), and hit Play. However...
- Buffering doesn't work. If I press Play on an episode that has not yet been fully downloaded, the app will try to buffer it, fail, and then proceed to download it while forcing me to wait for it to finish (pressing Play while it's downloading just causes the same thing to happen again).
- Downloaded episodes get deleted constantly. If I download an episode by using the "trick" described above (which, again, is the only way), I can listen to it if I do it right away, but if I wait for a bit (maybe I want to listen to it while commuting) there's no guarantee the episode is still there. Just as often (or more often, probably), the download has been deleted, forcing me to download it once again if I want to listen to it. Not much fun when I'm on my data connection (which is usually the case when I want to listen to something). If I want to make absolutely sure that I actually have an episode ready to be listened to, I have to check that it's really downloaded before I leave my Wi-Fi connection (even though it has been downloaded previously), and then start listening to it right away. Now, if I pause it for a few hours, there's a very high likelyhood the episode will be deleted when I want to continue listening to it. And no, this is not in any way related to the limit on the number of downloaded episodes you can set.

The only time the app actually works like it's supposed to is if I uninstall and then reinstall it. Then it works for a single episode (which is automatically downloaded, etc.), after which it goes back to being a broken piece of shit.

SimleuqiR

RoadHazard said:
Is anyone else having massive amounts of problems with Google Listen? I like that it uses Google Reader for feed subscriptions, since that means I can use Reader on my computer to manage them (I already use Reader for other RSS feeds), but other than that the app is almost unusable. Some of the problems I'm having:

- It doesn't automatically download new podcasts even though I've set it to do so.
- Clicking "Download" on an episode to make it happen manually does nothing. A download never occurs. The only way I can get an episode to download is to queue it up, navigate to it in the player (using the Previous/Next buttons), and hit Play. However...
- Buffering doesn't work. If I press Play on an episode that has not yet been fully downloaded, the app will try to buffer it, fail, and then proceed to download it while forcing me to wait for it to finish (pressing Play while it's downloading just causes the same thing to happen again).
- Downloaded episodes get deleted constantly. If I download an episode by using the "trick" described above (which, again, is the only way), I can listen to it if I do it right away, but if I wait for a bit (maybe I want to listen to it while commuting) there's no guarantee the episode is still there. Just as often (or more often, probably), the download has been deleted, forcing me to download it once again if I want to listen to it. Not much fun when I'm on my data connection (which is usually the case when I want to listen to something). If I want to make absolutely sure that I actually have an episode ready to be listened to, I have to check that it's really downloaded before I leave my Wi-Fi connection (even though it has been downloaded previously), and then start listening to it right away. Now, if I pause it for a few hours, there's a very high likelyhood the episode will be deleted when I want to continue listening to it. And no, this is not in any way related to the limit on the number of downloaded episodes you can set.

The only time the app actually works like it's supposed to is if I uninstall and then reinstall it. Then it works for a single episode (which is automatically downloaded, etc.), after which it goes back to being a broken piece of shit.

Listen, that app is pretty much a dead horse. Unless Google decides to kick it once in a while.

This is awesome:

beacon_universal_remote_android.png

http://www.androidguys.com/2011/11/...announce-beacon-universal-remote-for-android/

Might actually buy this.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
SimleuqiR said:
Listen, that app is pretty much a dead horse. Unless Google decides to kick it once in a while.

Yeah, I figured as much... It's too bad, since I think it's a good app when it does what it should (which it doesn't). Are there any decent free alternatives, preferably with Google Reader integration (I like having all my feed subscriptions in the same place)?

SimleuqiR

Lesiroth said:
So any ideas on when will the GSM Galaxy Nexus be releasing?

All leaks/rumors point to Q1 2012 in the USA.
In the UK - Nov 17th.
Rest of Europe - Sometime in December?

FoxSpirit said:
What's the precise use? A universal remote?
Because if you use a PC as source, XBMC+free RC app is the surefire way to go.

Yes, I use XBMC and it's Android app, but that doesn't allow me to control the A/V receiver, my cable box, TV, etc.

It's either this, or the Logitech one that came out. Not sure which one I will get.

Kagami

Greyface said:
Are you having the same issues with the stylus button that many of reviewers were having? (Is it something you could get used?) How robust is the Samsung note app? Can it make annotated PDFs?
I find the button a little hard to locate. Might have been nice if they'd colored it. Wonder if we'll see third parties selling colored ones.

I haven't really used the note app much; for me the stylus is just a way to poke at the screen more precisely than with a finger, when I'm doing things for which that's useful, like clicking on densely-packed links on web pages without needing to zoom in, or controlling my Windows machine over remote desktop.
I don't think Samsung's note app can export anything other than text and jpeg.

Lesiroth

SimleuqiR said:
In the UK - Nov 17th.

Yes, I use XBMC and it's Android app, but that doesn't allow me to control the A/V receiver, my cable box, TV, etc.

It's either this, or the Logitech one that came out. Not sure which one I will get.
So if a relative of mine in Canada was coming back to Egypt at the end of this month, there's no chance he could get one for me?

SimleuqiR

Lesiroth said:
So if a relative of mine in Canada was coming back to Egypt at the end of this month, there's no chance he could get one for me?

Canada? I think Canada is in an even bigger limbo in regards to the Nexus Prime/Tuna.
Someone here can correct me if I'm wrong, but in North America the only carrier officially releasing this is Verizon. So a GSM model is out of the question for now.

It might be easier to import from Europe at this point.

Having play around with the Mrs' HTC Sensation, damn Sense is a memory hog. Put LauncherPro on to see if it made a difference, now up to 280mb free memory (though I still think that's poor for a phone with 768mb of total memory).

I guess that's HTC off my shopping list then.

Futureman

Seeing as how Google has said they are axing Google Buzz, I decided to click the "disable Buzz" thing in Gmail.

Whenever you do that, it says it will delete your Google Profile? Uhh what? I don't want Buzz, but I want a G-profile.

should I just wait until Google disables it themselves?

kehs

Banned
Futureman said:
Seeing as how Google has said they are axing Google Buzz, I decided to click the "disable Buzz" thing in Gmail.

Whenever you do that, it says it will delete your Google Profile? Uhh what? I don't want Buzz, but I want a G-profile.

should I just wait until Google disables it themselves?

Delete your Google Buzz account
Deleting your Google Buzz Account will delete all Buzz posts that you have made and disconnect any Buzz connected sites. This will not affect your Google Account or your Google+ Profile.
Also stop following people in Buzz, Google Reader, and other Google products.

It's just labeled wrong, this is what you see after you click the Delete Buzz/Profile link in the dashboard.

tino

Banned
RoadHazard said:
Yeah, I figured as much... It's too bad, since I think it's a good app when it does what it should (which it doesn't). Are there any decent free alternatives, preferably with Google Reader integration (I like having all my feed subscriptions in the same place)?
BeyondPod, you can thank me later.

Free trail for a couple weeks.

def sim

SimleuqiR said:
In the UK - Nov 17th.

I wish Google would go ahead and confirm this. Why is this so difficult for them? Yes or no.

SimleuqiR

rance said:
I wish Google would go ahead and confirm this. Why is this so difficult for them? Yes or no.

Well, when you combine two pompous companies like Verizon and Samsung and sprinkle them with Google's ineptitude in releasing hardware products (see Google TV), you get this sort of shitty product launch.

see5harp

jayb said:
I'd be interested in Android synths or samplers just to play around with. Are there a lot available on iOS?

Of course there are. Korg had one at launch and now has at least 2 on the marketplace. Moog just released Animoog that is a full synth that can be controlled via midi keyboard (which is currently $.99 for another week or so). Rebirth is up right now which has an 808, 909, and a 303. I'm sure there are others like FL studio along with Garage Band but I haven't delved too deep into it. I know that many people have been using iTouch and iPad to control Reason for years now with TouchOSC. I was just checking to see if any such developments were ocurring on Android. (talking about iPad specific apps for the most part here)

Since people are talking about how much google listen sucks now, what are people out there using to listen to podcasts?

I use both Doggcatcher and Stitcher

Doggcatcher is pretty solid, but sometimes it gives me grief over downloading episodes of certain shows over my 3G connection.

Stitcher is pretty good, but it once lost my favourites list, and the bitrate for the show is pretty low, which isn't a huge deal for the majority of podcasts, but for a few it's quite noticeable.

Ocho

dream said:
I seriously must be the only Instapaper disciple in here.

Instapaper be damned
(although I do use it to read sites on my pc I save from phone -- yeah, when there's video or some such).

Where is InstaGRAM? :(

Hey folks, how can I force the market to look for updates for my apps? I was updating 20 apps at the same time, then the market force closed and now it doesn't show the updates available. And one app that was updating, already update and shows like there's one available.

pr0cs

I'm really digging the idea of the padfone, I wonder how well supported Asus devices are though. After dealing with Samsung's shit opensource support for the SGS (or lack thereof) I'm looking for a device with better support. I like the idea of the Nexus but the device seems to have a lot of downfalls.

SimleuqiR

pr0cs said:
I'm really digging the idea of the padfone, I wonder how well supported Asus devices are though. After dealing with Samsung's shit opensource support for the SGS (or lack thereof) I'm looking for a device with better support. I like the idea of the Nexus but the device seems to have a lot of downfalls.

I'm very pleased with their update time frame. Besides Motorola with the Xoom, Asus is the fastest to bring updates on to the Transformer (Tablet)

Not sure if ASUS will bring a custom UI to their "phone", but it's highly unlikely. They might have some pre-installed ASUS apps to add some sort of "value".

Husker86

Submarino Conversível said:
Hey folks, how can I force the market to look for updates for my apps? I was updating 20 apps at the same time, then the market force closed and now it doesn't show the updates available. And one app that was updating, already update and shows like there's one available.
Have you tried clearing Market data?

AndyD

aka andydumi
lawblob said:
Any recommendations for a good weather widget? Every one i've tried seems awful.
What are you aiming for? Beautiful widgets, aniweather, weatherbug, all have their uses and shortcomings.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
tino said:
BeyondPod, you can thank me later.

Free trail for a couple weeks.

I've looked at this one, and while it seems good the price is too high for a podcast manager IMO. And the free trial only lasts 7 days, then the app reverts to a gimped lite version. But ah, I guess I'll try it out, can't live with the horrendously broken Listen anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom