• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
RoadHazard said:
I've looked at this one, and while it seems good the price is too high for a podcast manager IMO. And the free trial only lasts 7 days, then the app reverts to a gimped lite version. But ah, I guess I'll try it out, can't live with the horrendously broken Listen anymore.
that's a big problem with Android... something that costs the same price as a meal at McDonalds is "too much" for Android users!

You guys are all crazy. HTC Edge is the new hotness.
Just need it on AT&T LTE c,mon big blue don't let me down!

I also use.listen and it sucks balls...will try beyond pod stat.

Ocho

The Faceless Master said:
that's a big problem with Android... something that costs the same price as a meal at McDonalds is "too much" for Android users!

The other day I had a discussion with a coworker of how, if you paid for an app (in Android), you were dumb and throwing money away. He lost all my respect, and he has an Android phone.

Also: I'd recommend Pocket Cast as a podcast solution (although I'm not sure if it connects to Google Reader). Price is great for its value.

gcubed

BootlegSnackz said:
You guys are all crazy. HTC Edge is the new hotness.
Just need it on AT&T LTE c,mon big blue don't let me down!

I also use.listen and it sucks balls...will try beyond pod stat.
Besides the fact that it runs sense and has a 2007 design? Yea, no. The mighty have fallen, HTC has screwed up sense royally once it got popular

zbeeb

The Faceless Master said:

I've always wondered how Google feels about this issue. On one hand, they need developers to want to make quality apps for the market and developers need to know they can profit. On the other, Google makes its dollars from serving ads which you primarily see in free apps, not paid ones.

IIRC, Google takes a 30% cut from market revenue. I wonder at what stage the benefit of serving ads is less than app purchase revenue.

Cipherr

gcubed said:
Besides the fact that it runs sense and has a 2007 design? Yea, no. The mighty have fallen, HTC has screwed up sense royally once it got popular

Kind of spectacular in a way. I agree, for a good while I considered Sense the best of the manus UI's. But these days, Im growing a little tired of HTC. I cant rip them for having a themed design on all their phones, because Samsung seems to have it too, its just that I dont mind Samsungs design, while the HTC common design is starting to grate me a bit.

Besides, HTC needs to make their phones a LOT thinner, or start stuffing 2050mAh batteries in those thick ass grey bricks they call phones.

tino

Banned
zbeeb said:
I've always wondered how Google feels about this issue. On one hand, they need developers to want to make quality apps for the market and developers need to know they can profit. On the other, Google makes its dollars from serving ads which you primarily see in free apps, not paid ones.

IIRC, Google takes a 30% cut from market revenue. I wonder at what stage the benefit of serving ads is less than app purchase revenue.
I only paid very few apps for over 5.

I paid for ROM mamnager right away, because it was an industry standard. Titanium Backup OTOH, didn't get the $6 out of me until I was on my sixth Android device. Frankly I would have paid for it a lot sooner if the features in the Pro version was actually useful to me.

In the case of BeyondPod. I compared all the offline podcast solution from Palm, iPhone, webOS, android. BeyondPod and Doggcatcher were the best. I understand how hard it is to make a good podcast app that has all the features.

All my other paid apps are 1-2 dollars apps because I feel thats how much they are worth to me.

Transformer Prime detailed: 10-inch Super IPS+ display, 12-hour battery and quad-core Tegra 3, ships in December for $499

1oBJZl.jpg

YES. Forget the Xoom 2, THIS IS IT.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Jayayess1190 said:
It starts at 32GB! Also here is a spec video.

It does look fantastic. I wish they'd release one of these with digitizer and stylus. That would have been a dream come true.

Polari

Looks like a good laptop replacement... Android just needs some apps that will do the concept justice. Google needs to up their game where Docs is concerned.

Toki767

Considering it's the price of a 16gb iPad 2, $500 for that Transformer Prime seems like a great deal. I won't lie though. I was hoping for a 16gb $400 model like with the original Transformer.

Leonsito

I finally got the 3.3.11 update for the market, it's way faster, has a couple more options (only update apps on WiFi) and loads the list of installed apps almost instantly.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Divvy said:
Huh, it's quite a bit more expensive :\
How is that at all expensive? It's the same price as a 16 GB iPad.

Blackhead

Redarse
I don't quite understand what the "optional NFC" listed under the Samsung Galaxy Note's spec means... Could someone explain? When it gets ICS will it be able to use Android beam?

SimleuqiR

Greyface said:
I don't quite understand what the "optional NFC" listed under the Samsung Galaxy Note's spec means... Could someone explain? When it gets ICS will it be able to use Android beam?

Beam? I thought Beam was a different hardware component. Like the Nexus S wouldn't be able to use Beam, since it doesn't have the hardware. Or is Beam just a software update for the NFC chip in these phones?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Bboy AJ said:
How is that at all expensive? It's the same price as a 16 GB iPad.

I meant compared to the original transformer. I think one of the selling points was that you could get one for 400 dollars, 500 with a keyboard. Strange that they would increase the price that much.

kehs

Banned
Greyface said:

Where do you see that?

Dazzla

Playing around in the emulator it seems exchange support is really improved. Note from Google themselves.

Ice Cream Sandwich now uses EAS v14.1 protocol for Exchange support and the total number of supported Exchange ActiveSync policies is up to 16 with the addition of support for “limiting attachment sizes, disabling attachment downloads, enforcing manual sync while roaming, and disabling the camera”.

ICS also adds a number of improvements to the email app including server-side search for Exchange and IMAP, nested sub-folder navigation and sync controls, reply/forward indicators, quick responses, and better app navigation.

I've always felt the email client was poor on Android and none of the third party ones done it for me. At least now they've added things like server side searching, proper folder structure, push email in sub folders (although there doesn't seem to be a notification of that email, shame).

Blackhead

Redarse
SimleuqiR said:
Beam? I thought Beam was a different hardware component. Like the Nexus S wouldn't be able to use Beam, since it doesn't have the hardware. Or is Beam just a software update for the NFC chip in these phones?
I think it's just software. I can't think of another hardware component that would be needed for the feature...
Copernicus said:
Where do you see that?
The wikipedia page says
Connectivity
3.5 mm TRRS; Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n); Wi-Fi Direct; Bluetooth 3.0; Micro USB 2.0; Optional Near field communication (NFC); USB Host (OTG) 2.0​
Samsung's GNote specs page doesn't list NFC at all.

Meanwhile, Behind the Glass: a detailed tour inside the Samsung Galaxy Note
NFC controller: NXP PN544

SimleuqiR

gcubed said:

I think HTC's main hardware design guy left the company this year, for family reason.
Wish I could find the article.

I wonder what the odds are that Samsung will release a Galaxy S 2X, that has a qHD SAMOLED+ display and Ice Cream Sandwich?

I think that would be my ideal phone, why don't they go make me one :/

But in the meantime, have Samsung actually given us any indication that the GS2 will be getting ICS?

[NB: I mean the international Galaxy S 2, not the multitude of US carrier versions]

Rur0ni

Situation GAF.

OG Droid screen is now fucked. Keeps clicking all over the place on its own, so I'm phoneless now. I want a Galaxy Nexus, but it's not out yet obviously, plus I need a phone.

Is it outside the realm of possibility to get a Razr Friday, and exchange for the Nexus? Does that have to be in the 14 day return window?

Circle T

sionyboy said:
I wonder what the odds are that Samsung will release a Galaxy S 2X, that has a qHD SAMOLED+ display and Ice Cream Sandwich?

I think that would be my ideal phone, why don't they go make me one :/

But in the meantime, have Samsung actually given us any indication that the GS2 will be getting ICS?

[NB: I mean the international Galaxy S 2, not the multitude of US carrier versions]
Yup....

Phandroid said:
Samsung Italy Confirms Ice Cream Sandwich for Note, S II and Tab in 2012

It’s been on many of our reader’s minds and it looks like Samsung Italy is confirming which of their devices will see an Android 4.0 update in 2012. Here’s the full list as it stands:

Galaxy SII
Galaxy Note
Galaxy Tab 10.1
Galaxy Tab 8.9
Galaxy Tab 7.7
Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus

Looks like Samsung is looking to turn around their reputation of providing poor software support on some of their “older” devices. Oh – and just because your Samsung device didn’t make this list, doesn’t mean there’s no hope. This is just a confirmed list of devices, per Samsung. But, it’s very likely Android 4.0 could be the final update for these devices as OEM’s don’t usually update more than once and rarely (if ever?) more than twice. In other words, don’t go complaining if these devices don’t see the rumored Jelly Bean update — ya heard?
http://phandroid.com/2011/10/28/sam...cream-sandwich-for-note-s-ii-and-tab-in-2012/

thespot84

Rur0ni said:
Situation GAF.

OG Droid screen is now fucked. Keeps clicking all over the place on its own, so I'm phoneless now. I want a Galaxy Nexus, but it's not out yet obviously, plus I need a phone.

Is it outside the realm of possibility to get a Razr Friday, and exchange for the Nexus? Does that have to be in the 14 day return window?

That problem isn't cured by a restart? happens to my OG occasionally but i reboot and it's fine. I'm in a similar boat, I'm relegated to the GN so I'd recommend waiting. maybe a factory wipe would get you there?

Rur0ni

thespot84 said:
That problem isn't cured by a restart? happens to my OG occasionally but i reboot and it's fine. I'm in a similar boat, I'm relegated to the GN so I'd recommend waiting. maybe a factory wipe would get you there?
I've tried rebooting, not wiping though.. hmm.

gcubed said:

It looks like...a phone. Since when has this been a drawback. It's what's on the inside that matters and this thing is a beast! Finally no qualcomm. Mix that with the fact that I will be putting an AOSP ICS Rom on this and boom:

Phone of the forever.

There's no way the Padfone looks better than this phone. I dunno, Padfone just looks cheap to me. If I made that phone I would hide it inside a tablet too.

bluetooth 4.0
720p front cam
tegra 3
720p screen (non-Pentile I think)

Just need this phone to have AT&T LTE and we will be set. If not I still might grab it and wait for something like a GSIII or the next Nexus for AT&T LTE, besides their LTE will have broader coverage by then. Hope it hits So Cal before it hits NYC.

Circle T

BootlegSnackz said:
Just need this phone to have AT&T LTE and we will be set. If not I still might grab it and wait for something like a GSIII or the next Nexus for AT&T LTE, besides their LTE will have broader coverage by then. Hope it hits So Cal before it hits NYC.
It would seem that isn't going to happen....

Engadget said:
AT&T SVP: LTE 'coming soon' to NYC

How do you like them acronyms? If you had any doubt that AT&T would bring LTE to NYC in the near future, it's time to put that doubt aside -- sort of. Speaking at the Mashable Media Summit Friday, Senior VP of corporate communications Larry Solomon said that New York City would be sheathed in Ma Bell-branded high speed "soon." Sure it's vague, but it's something. Here's what he had to say:

We're investing about $20 billion this year in our network, adding cell sites in New York City alone, rolling out 4G LTE. We'll have about 70 million consumers covered across the US by the end of this year, and it's going to be coming to New York City soon.

There's no telling when the big city will get it's taste of the AT&T LTE pie, but it will be in good company when it does. The carrier announced just this week that it would add Boston, Washington DC, Baltimore and Athens, GA to its 4G lineup. Video of Mr. Solomon's speech awaits you after the break.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/05/atandt-svp-lte-coming-soon-to-nyc/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom