• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwell

I got my Galaxy SII Skyrocket today, my first android device and I'm coming from a Blackberry Curve 8900 so its a massive upgrade for me. I have a lot to learn, but just wanted to report and say that Antutu is giving me 5900+ for the benchmark and Quandrant is around 3700+. So far I really like it, but holy cow do I have a lot to learn, still need to find good software for managing podcasts.

I can't wait for my company to switch over to gmail as lotus notes webmail really sucks

Circle T said:
Coming soon is not very concrete...hopefully that 70 mil number just means that so cal will be covered by the end of the year as well...

Also GSII Skyrocket getting 3700 in quadrant? That's a pretty beastly score right? Not sure what the regular exynos GSII scores...maybe this means the 1.5ghz qualcomm bests it? Who can shed more light?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Is there a good replacement cardock app out there. The stock one on my Droid x2 is clunky and ugly and you are stuck with two pages which I often switch between accidentally.

Husker86

poppabk said:
Is there a good replacement cardock app out there. The stock one on my Droid x2 is clunky and ugly and you are stuck with two pages which I often switch between accidentally.
Try looking for the stock Google one. Just search for CarHome apk or something. I liked it better than HTC's, I don't know how Motorola's is.

zbeeb

dream said:
Does anyone know of a good Instapaper client that uses the API rather than just scraping the web site?

This question seems to be asked a lot, I don't use Instapaper (use ReaditLater instead). A quick search comes up with these, I don't know if they scrape or use the API, hopefully one of them fits the bill:

Instafetch
EverPaper
ReadLater
Later for Instapaper
Instantpaper Free
Instantpaper Pro

'Instapaper' Search on market.android.com

Hopefully one of those fits what you're looking for. Some a paid, but have free versions (or lite) available to try out.

dream

thanks zbeeb

Greyface said:

That looks promising. Have you tried it? Is it as good as Paper Mache? I consider Paper Mache the gold standard of third party Instapaper clients despite the unfortunate platform it was coded for.

Blackhead

Redarse
dream said:
thanks zbeeb

That looks promising. Have you tried it? Is it as good as Paper Mache? I consider Paper Mache the gold standard of third party Instapaper clients despite the unfortunate platform it was coded for.
I haven't tried it as I don't have an Android phone yet (still waiting on Google/Samsung and that damn Galaxy Nexus). Frankly I'm not happy with Marco taxing users of Android, WP7, webOS etc (every platform that isn't iOS) with the subscription requirement and I declined to pay Marco even though I own the WP7 and webOS third-party apps (Spare Time for webOS phones doesn't use the API). I prefer reading the full site anyway, not the instapaper version.

Circle T

BootlegSnackz said:
Coming soon is not very concrete...hopefully that 70 mil number just means that so cal will be covered by the end of the year as well...

Also GSII Skyrocket getting 3700 in quadrant? That's a pretty beastly score right? Not sure what the regular exynos GSII scores...maybe this means the 1.5ghz qualcomm bests it? Who can shed more light?
Unlikely. If you roughly add up all the metro areas that are now covered by AT&T's LTE, and then add in NYC, you get around 70mil or so. I would assume that many areas in Cali are pretty high on the list of upcoming locations, but it appears that it won't be around until sometime in 2012.

Circle T said:
Unlikely. If you roughly add up all the metro areas that are now covered by AT&T's LTE, and then add in NYC, you get around 70mil or so. I would assume that many areas in Cali are pretty high on the list of upcoming locations, but it appears that it won't be around until sometime in 2012.

You're probably right... but I wonder how they choose what areas to upgrade first.

Probably based on money somehow. Got to be a lot of iPhones in So Cal, i see everyone with 'em, lot of rich people here and bandwagoners, trends mean alot over here...maybe that's why LTE is not as important here

(BOOM, roasted)

Blackhead

Redarse
(via the verge) Matias Duarte has a google+ post on Roboto. Pretty interesting

snkwmq.png

Circle T

BootlegSnackz said:
You're probably right... but I wonder how they choose what areas to upgrade first.

Probably based on money somehow. Got to be a lot of iPhones in So Cal, i see everyone with 'em, lot of rich people here and bandwagoners, trends mean alot over here...maybe that's why LTE is not as important here

(BOOM, roasted)
Well, the first 5 locations are all the areas that AT&T has headquarters, but beyond that I'm guessing it just relates to population/users. Similar to when HSPA was updated to HSPA+, they start with highest profit areas, and move downward when upgrading.

Anyone have any experience with the Velocity Cruz?

I know its not the best tablet in the world, but it's supposed to be a decent to good e-reader with a color screen with e-pub/cbz support which is my main requirement for my purchase

Dear android GAf:

Could you explain or link me to how hardware acceleration works? I have a rough idea, but i want to better understand how ICS will improve my Xoom/GS2 performance. Is it as simple as programming certain functions to use the gpu rather than the cpu? If so, why didnt this come earlier? Or is it really not that simple because of the huge range of parts in these phones?

rozay

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
Dear android GAf:

Could you explain or link me to how hardware acceleration works? I have a rough idea, but i want to better understand how ICS will improve my Xoom/GS2 performance. Is it as simple as programming certain functions to use the gpu rather than the cpu? If so, why didnt this come earlier? Or is it really not that simple because of the huge range of parts in these phones?
Google's devs have had a stick up their asses for one reason or another regarding it in the past. The iPhone and WP7 have used it from the start, and it's one reason why they were able to keep the user experiences smooth. One major benefit is that your CPU will not go to 100% when you scroll in a list.

kehs

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
Dear android GAf:

Pretty much yes, the GPU will take over for things like visual manipulations (what GPU are designed for in the first place) instead of burdening the CPU (designed for calculations). Your xoom is already hardware accelerated though, as are parts of the GS2(browser).

As for the timing of it....the android OS is a different beast than something like WP7 or iOS, both of those have been designed from the ground up for one specific set of hardware. Android is designed from the ground up to be independent of hardware, and be more modular.

masud

Banned
What are some good apps to stream (and download) video/music from my pc? I want to get a galaxy nexus and give my bionic to someone but zumocast works so well i dont think i could live without it.

gcubed

zbeeb said:
This question seems to be asked a lot, I don't use Instapaper (use ReaditLater instead). A quick search comes up with these, I don't know if they scrape or use the API, hopefully one of them fits the bill:

Instafetch
EverPaper
ReadLater
Later for Instapaper
Instantpaper Free
Instantpaper Pro

'Instapaper' Search on market.android.com

Hopefully one of those fits what you're looking for. Some a paid, but have free versions (or lite) available to try out.

its asked a lot by the same poster, one of the very few who use it it seems

Angst

Copernicus said:
Amazon Appstore got a refresh today. Looks much better, and much more big screen friendly. Still not a dedicated tablet layout though.

e: Dude who put together the Nexus S ICS port has put one out for the N1 as well:

http://drewgaren.com/DrewGaren.com/ICS/Entries/2011/11/9_ICS_SDK_NEXUS_ONE_PORT_Beta_4.html
That must be the crappiest site ever... Looks like he's using MS Frontpage to create his site, which doesn't really inspire much trust to install his custom rom either (not that I could on my SGS2 anyway)

I need the motorola corvair. I have been in the market for a tablet that is a little less than my eee slate. As well as a universal remote. I use my plasma as an htpc at least 75% of the time (netflix, hulu, live tv recording) I'm always fumbling with a keyboard and mouse. I would kill to use gmote with a 7" screen along with turning on my reciever tv and changing channels.

I also heard the tab plus has an ir blaster but i have not heard of anyone using it as an htpc universal remote.

kehs

Banned
Krauser Kat said:
I need the motorola corvair. I have been in the market for a tablet that is a little less than my eee slate. As well as a universal remote. I use my plasma as an htpc at least 75% of the time (netflix, hulu, live tv recording) I'm always fumbling with a keyboard and mouse. I would kill to use gmote with a 7" screen along with turning on my reciever tv and changing channels.

I also heard the tab plus has an ir blaster but i have not heard of anyone using it as an htpc universal remote.

There's an app that will handle the remote business end of it:

http://androidandme.com/2011/11/app...ote-knows-tv-better-than-your-cable-provider/

Zapages

This is a weird, I can't seem to play youtube videos on my Galaxy S2. I get the sound but there is no video though. :(

I don't know what's wrong with my cellphone or the app. Its the same through web or through the youtube app. :(

tino

Banned
GodfatherX said:
Anyone have any experience with the Velocity Cruz?

I know its not the best tablet in the world, but it's supposed to be a decent to good e-reader with a color screen with e-pub/cbz support which is my main requirement for my purchase
Just get a refub Nook Color for 140 or something.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hmm, Amazon appstore update today. Makes it kind of weird looking, looks tablet optimized, everything is bigger. Which makes it odd on a phone. And now there's alerts for everything, and no way to turn them off that I see.

jayb

Copernicus said:
They finally pushed it out? Wow.

e:

I love droid commercials. lol
the TMOBILE Vibrant is still suck on 2.2 ...and most users are probably on 2.1 since the 2.2 is a manual update through the PC.

smh

j-wood

Hey guys, My wife is thinking about asking for a tablet for Christmas. We did some shopping around today and she really likes the Galaxy Tab 10.1. I have a couple of questions regarding this though...

1. Has Samsung said if it will receive an update to ICS?

2. Does video chat work on the tablet with skype and google talk?

3. I see it doesn't have an SD card slot...so I assume if you need to move some files off it, you can just hook it up to a PC and have access to the storage correct?

Finally, whats the overall impressions of this tablet? Does everyone like it?

VPhys

j-wood said:
Hey guys, My wife is thinking about asking for a tablet for Christmas. We did some shopping around today and she really likes the Galaxy Tab 10.1. I have a couple of questions regarding this though...

After yesterday why would someone get a Galaxy tab 10.1 over the Transformer Prime????

The tab 10.1 has just been made obsolete (at least at it's current price of $499).

j-wood

VPhys said:
After yesterday why would someone get a Galaxy tab 10.1 over the Transformer Prime????

The tab 10.1 has just been made obsolete (at least at it's current price of $499).

Well that's true, the prime is definitely an options. The hope though is that that comes in really early in December, enough time to get one for Christmas. Will that be the case?

kehs

Banned
j-wood said:

1. Has Samsung said if it will receive an update to ICS?

2. Does video chat work on the tablet with skype and google talk?

3. I see it doesn't have an SD card slot...so I assume if you need to move some files off it, you can just hook it up to a PC and have access to the storage correct?

Finally, whats the overall impressions of this tablet? Does everyone like it?

1 - Q1 2012
2 - Google talk, yes, I'm not sure about skype, but I think that's a yes as well
3- Yup, hook up through pc, or over wifi.

Asus is release a new tablet december called the Prime, look into that as well, that one has hdmi/xd card slots, and optional dock. Supposedly shipping with ICS.

Oozer3993

AndyD said:
Hmm, Amazon appstore update today. Makes it kind of weird looking, looks tablet optimized, everything is bigger. Which makes it odd on a phone. And now there's alerts for everything, and no way to turn them off that I see.

I like the new look. I hate the new notifications. If you choose to download an app, the Amazon App Store icon will pop up in the notification bar and when you swipe down the notification pane, it will show you the download progress. There's just one problem. It doesn't actually download anything if you don't currently have the App Store open. If you switch to another app, say, for example, you open up the browser to hit up NeoGAF, the notification stays there, but there's nothing happening. It's not actually downloading anything. The percentage doesn't budge. And there's no way to get rid of it. You just have to open up the App Store and let the purchased app finish downloading before the icon will go away. Only it doesn't really. It pops up again telling you "Click to open," but at least on my Droid X, it's on the top part of the notification pane so I can't just X out of the notification, I have to actually hit it and open the app to make it go away.[/rant]

Angst

The Faceless Master said:
Now rocking official Gingerbread. Pretty Epic wait for that one, huh Samsung? Smooth so far...
You waited for the official release? I'm impressed by you resolve and puzzled why you didn't install CM or another custom ROM instead.

Angst said:
You waited for the official release? I'm impressed by you resolve and puzzled why you didn't install CM or another custom ROM instead.
no, i didn't wait on the official release, i installed the leaked builds before. they had some issues but worked ok.

CM sucks on Epic, still not fully working and supporting all the hardware. and since everything that's any good is based on CM work, everything else sucked as well.

don't care about all the modified Touchwiz based roms that people add their custom modded crappy art looking themed apps to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom