• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
iapetus said:
Fuck you, Amazon?

Why haven't you set up the forward/faux location thingie for the amazon store?

edit:

All my android devices are sharing the same market version....that's never happened before.

Shepard

Copernicus said:

edit:

All my android devices are sharing the same market version....that's never happened before.
Is it safe or I can get into trouble?

gcubed

Copernicus said:

edit:

I just got the tablet version today. A welcomed adjustment

ARM, a leading developer of low-power microprocessors and graphics cores, on Thursday introduced its new graphics processing core that quadruples compute performance over the previous generation solution. The new Mali-T658 graphics core will be able to improve graphics performance by ten times over existing products and thus rival such system-on-chips (SoCs) as Nvidia Corp.’s Tegra 2 or 3.

ARM Mali-T658 GPU delivers up to ten times the graphics performance of the Mali-400 MP GPU, found in a wide range of today’s mainstream consumer products. It also features four times the GPU compute performance of the Mali-T604 GPU, enabling a raft of new use-cases outside of traditional graphics processing, including computational photography, image-processing and augmented reality.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/graphi...High_Performance_Mali_T658_Graphics_Core.html

lol @ bold.

have they seen Tegra 22 vs MALI-400!?

they need to be talking about rivaling Imagination Technology's PowerVR SGX!

Did Jtwo ever explain why he switched back to IOS?

I know he said he went to the store and tried the 4s but if I recalled he didn't say it was great or anything.

Just curious.

kinggroin

Banned
D'ultimate said:
Did Jtwo ever explain why he switched back to IOS?

I know he said he went to the store and tried the 4s but if I recalled he didn't say it was great or anything.

Just curious.

I would like to know this as well.

His posts seemed to paint a consistently positive picture of his experience with android on his phone.

Quite the mystery.

kehs

Banned
kinggroin said:
I would like to know this as well.

His posts seemed to paint a consistently positive picture of his experience with android on his phone.

Quite the mystery.
The iPhone offered him more geebees than the droids could.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
How about something a bit different? The Verzo smartphone is available for $459:

verzokinzolead-1321009523.jpg

http://www.verzo.com/home.aspx

When should we expect to hear about which older phones will be getting the ICS update? Mainly interested in Galaxy S plus. Samsung has confirmed the SII obviously, but damnit I want it too.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I just basically didn't want to wait any longer. 95% of my decision came down to impatience and the realization that at their core all these phones are pretty much the same. I actually had a mostly terrible experience with Android. The Droid was a broken piece of shit. I know that the GN is a different phone from a different time but that experience still played a part in my decision.

I think its fair to say in many respects the GN has been a botched launch, and it just made my skeptical of how much better the experience of ICS actually would be. Phones are expensive and two years is a long time. I went with the safe option.

Copernicus said:
The iPhone offered him more geebees than the droids could.
This too. Music is a huge part of my life and the difference between locally stored tunes and streaming from the cloud is huge. At least with today's connection speeds.

j-wood

Question about google books and the kindle app on tablets

When you downloaded a book from the market, you don't have to have internet access to read the book once its downloaded right? Does the same apply foe the kindle app?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yes to both, as long as you've downloaded. For Kindle you have to manually DL what you want for each new device. Not sure about Books, but think it works the same way.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Smirk to unlock.

Make the vagina licking gesture to unlock.

Fatalah

Fatalah 10-30-11 said:
I'm in need of some major tech help. My Droid Incredible no longer displays USB connection options when plugging into any PC.

Usually, the USB options appear in the notification pane. I'm using the original HTC USB cable -- the cable works fine with my brother's Incredible.
Solution found!
Rodja said:
By pure luck I plugged the cable into the device while the Android OS was switching to offline mode (selected from the menu which appears when long-pressing the power button). That did the trick!

After some experiments I can veryfy using the transitions between offline and online mode to plug the cable into the PC is a workaround -- not a fix to the problem.

This Rodja guy is awesome. Android's USB notification menu now appears upon plugging my Incredible into my computer! Strangely, a factory reset did not work, but Airplane mode/Offline mode does the trick!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, I found myself switching Airplane mode on and off all the time to fix glitches. Don't know why, but it just works.

kehs

Banned
walbertsmith said:
I don't recall if it's been discussed here yet, but apparently Face Unlock can be fooled by a picture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwfYSR7HttA&feature=player_embedded

The uploader adds in his description that he used his real face to set the lock in the first place, and that video is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GxYQAEJUTQ?t=7m34s

It's not one continuous video, but if we take him at face value, this is rather disappointing.

ಠ_ಠ

Why is that disappointing? Did people think the facial recogntion was anything more than geometry based? The team even said it themselves it's not a high security measure.

I know some xda-ers were talking about retinal scans and infra red body temperature processing (lol).

Jtwo said:
I just basically didn't want to wait any longer. 95% of my decision came down to impatience and the realization that at their core all these phones are pretty much the same. I actually had a mostly terrible experience with Android. The Droid was a broken piece of shit. I know that the GN is a different phone from a different time but that experience still played a part in my decision.

I think its fair to say in many respects the GN has been a botched launch, and it just made my skeptical of how much better the experience of ICS actually would be. Phones are expensive and two years is a long time. I went with the safe option.

This too. Music is a huge part of my life and the difference between locally stored tunes and streaming from the cloud is huge. At least with today's connection speeds.

But android offers by far the most sophisticated, feature rich and complete music experience. I mean comparing the iPod software to some media players on android it looks like a joke.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, what? Android doesn't even offer gapless playback.

gcubed

htcloverboy said:
But android offers by far the most sophisticated, feature rich and complete music experience. I mean comparing the iPod software to some media players on android it looks like a joke.

jtwo has been unable to get google music working since a week after it came out

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
gcubed said:
jtwo has been unable to get google music working since a week after it came out
What? It worked for months and months. It was only in about September that it kinda started to shit the bed. Even when it was working perfectly the difference in speed between streaming over 3G and just having it stored locally is gigantic.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It launched in like April right? It worked perfectly for me for a loong time. Thats why I relied on it soley for my music experience.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Whenever people misremember my past it makes me feel like it was imaginary. I was like "OMG what if I really did hate it?" o_O

jayb

Jtwo said:
What? It worked for months and months. It was only in about September that it kinda started to shit the bed. Even when it was working perfectly the difference in speed between streaming over 3G and just having it stored locally is gigantic.

but the music app will play both streaming or from local storage. what's the problem again?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
There is no "problem," jayb. Having a gigantic amount of onboard storage was one of the reasons I chose the iPhone.

I just only had a 16gig SDcard that had to be shared between videos, photos, music, whatever else and I have enough music to fill three of those cards. So after about 18months of just not having much music on my phone (which was horrible and awful) I switched to Googlemusic to offload the storage and just stream my entire library. Which was great for a while. Then it started to break down. (streams would cut out half way through, only play parts of songs etc.)

On my new phone, I have 64gigs of local storage with a fancy front-end to boot. Its a much better experience than GM was even at it's best. I don't think anyone here would argue that local storage is less convenient or smooth than streaming a music library over 3g.

I'm not man enough to manually manage what music is on my device at any given time. Because thats stupid and nobody should have to do that.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I go between Amazon MP3 which has all 200+ gigs of my music and Google Music which only like 1/3 of music got uploaded before I hit the cutoff limit. The problem is..I can't use both on any given day. Google Music takes up 24mbs of space when my account is linked and Amazon takes up 27mbs of space. Until HTC fixes this bug where I have 120MB of free space left but my phone thinks I have less than 20mb free glitch, I switch between them.

Google Music has a better interface.

gcubed

Jtwo said:
There is no "problem," jayb. Having a gigantic amount of onboard storage was one of the reasons I chose the iPhone.

I just only had a 16gig SDcard that had to be shared between videos, photos, music, whatever else and I have enough music to fill three of those cards. So after about 18months of just not having much music on my phone (which was horrible and awful) I switched to Googlemusic to offload the storage and just stream my entire library. Which was great for a while. Then it started to break down. (streams would cut out half way through, only play parts of songs etc.)

On my new phone, I have 64gigs of local storage with a fancy front-end to boot. Its a much better experience than GM was even at it's best. I don't think anyone here would argue that local storage is less convenient or smooth than streaming a music library over 3g.

I'm not man enough to manually manage what music is on my device at any given time. Because thats stupid and nobody should have to do that.
Local storage is less convienent

Jtwo said:

That's how I feel too. The push from local storage to cloud works only when there aren't data caps. I love google music but it's still a little cluncky for my tastes and having all music on local storage would be fantastic.

Shame android phone makers seem to think the amount of storage is OK. If the galaxy nexus offered a spot for sd so I could expand to 64 geebees then I would purchase no question.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
gcubed said:
Local storage is less convienent
After the apocalypse when the internet shuts off it will be I who continues to rock on.
I'll make a kinetic charger out of my bicycle.

Blackhead

Redarse
walbertsmith said:
I don't recall if it's been discussed here yet, but apparently Face Unlock can be fooled by a picture:

The uploader adds in his description that he used his real face to set the lock in the first place, and that video is here:

It's not one continuous video, but if we take him at face value, this is rather disappointing.

ಠ_ಠ
ಠ_ಠ

Copernicus said:
Why is that disappointing? Did people think the facial recogntion was anything more than geometry based? The team even said it themselves it's not a high security measure.

I know some xda-ers were talking about retinal scans and infra red body temperature processing (lol).

Can Android’s new ‘Face Unlock’ feature be hacked using a photo? Google says no.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really curious about this. I mean, if you position a fullsize headshot in front of the camera how could it not be fooled?

walbertsmith said:

ಠ_ಠ

I think the average person would not think to do that in order to unlock another persons phone. Those that would think to do that probably would find a way into the phone anyway.

If someone has that much to be compromised by someone unlocking their phone I doubt they would want to use face unlock as the security measure.

j-wood

I would love to use google music all the time, and I did for awhile. By good lord, the sound quality compared to poweramp is garbage. Even locally stored songs. I just can't do it anymore. Google needs to add a proper eq and lockscreen widget asap.

Copernicus said:

The problem is that Google is marketing Face Unlock as a security feature themselves. If that security is easily circumvented and more of a novelty, well then, don't market it as a security feature.

From the official Nexus page:

Face Unlock
With Face Unlock on Galaxy Nexus you can now unlock your phone with a smile. No complicated passwords to remember, just switch on your phone and look into the camera to quickly unlock your phone.

D'ultimate said:
I think the average person would not think to do that in order to unlock another persons phone. Those that would think to do that probably would find a way into the phone anyway.

If someone has that much to be compromised by someone unlocking their phone I doubt they would want to use face unlock as the security measure.

Well, that's the problem.. why even tout it as a security feature then? I'm not sure if there's the option to mandate both Face Unlock and a password, but we do know that if FU is used, then a password is optional.

As for unlocking another person's phone... come on. Many thefts occur from people the victim knows, and there's always the "jealous" significant-other syndrome. Applying a blanket statement to the situation is not acceptable.

I'm as big a Google fanboy as the next person, but it's unfortunate to see it so easily unlocked, especially since the comment by Tim Bray apparently dismissed that notion a long time ago.

walbertsmith said:
The problem is that Google is marketing Face Unlock as a security feature themselves. If that security is easily circumvented and more of a novelty, well then, don't market it as a security feature.

On the phone itself, it says Face Unlock is a low-security option. They're very clear that it's not the end-all, be-all of phone security.

kehs

Banned
walbertsmith said:

The trace path can be seen on a screen if it's not wiped of properly also. That's considered a security feature as well.

I'm pretty sure most administrators won't consider it a viable alternative to an alphanumeric passcode.

Blackhead

Redarse
walbertsmith said:
Well, that's the problem.. why even tout it as a security feature then? I'm not sure if there's the option to mandate both Face Unlock and a password, but we do know that if FU is used, then a password is optional.

As for unlocking another person's phone... come on. Many thefts occur from people the victim knows, and there's always the "jealous" significant-other syndrome. Applying a blanket statement to the situation is not acceptable.

I'm as big a Google fanboy as the next person, but it's unfortunate to see it so easily unlocked, especially since the comment by Tim Bray apparently dismissed that notion a long time ago.
we haven't seen anything. don't ever take some random youtube video at facevalue. can we at least wait for better evidence before burning down the house?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom