• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker86

Greyface said:
we haven't seen anything. don't ever take some random youtube video at facevalue. can we at least wait for better evidence before burning down the house?
If the Nexus takes a picture at face value then why can't we take a video at face value?

Copernicus said:
The trace path can be seen on a screen if it's not wiped of properly also. That's considered a security feature as well.

I'm pretty sure most administrators won't consider it a viable alternative to an alphanumeric passcode.

The difference between the pattern unlock and Face Unlock is that one bypass is user error, the other bypass is inherent to the feature (and a painfully obvious one, at that).

Now, if they weren't touting it as as a security feature I'd be fine with it. Or if Tim Bray hadn't made his comment then it'd be less egregious.

Greyface said:
we haven't seen anything. don't ever take some random youtube video at facevalue. can we at least wait for better evidence before burning down the house?

What more evidence do you need? It hasn't been released yet, and you see video of the feature being bypassed numerous times. I mean, is there anymore evidence that can be provided to prove it further?

I say this with the assumption that the uploader is on the up-and-up. It's conceivable that he could be an epic troll and did all this for page views. However, considering that he probably had maybe 10-15 minutes with the phone, it actually seems far more likely that he's just reporting the truth as he experienced it (made more convincing with the video evidence).

Vyse The Legend said:
On the phone itself, it says Face Unlock is a low-security option. They're very clear that it's not the end-all, be-all of phone security.

Do you have a source on this? If this were true, then yes, that would be more encouraging (still slightly disappointing though, in light of Bray's comment).

I've been kind of wanting a tablet for casual use. I saw that Best Buy was selling the Asus Iconia Android tablet for $199 Black Friday. Should I jump in on it? I've read a few reviews and the two things that worry me are complaint on battery-life (Though a YouTube review said they got two days of normal use out of a charge) and apparently the full-sized SD slot wasn't functioning. Any opinions?

rabhw

SimleuqiR said:
Yeah.. Google Music. Not sure what T-mobile has to do with it.
Doubt this has to do with the Nexus, as that's pretty much a Verizon phone.

The giant T-mobile sign on the wall of the teaser image?

Cipherr

walbertsmith said:
I don't recall if it's been discussed here yet, but apparently Face Unlock can be fooled by a picture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwfYSR7HttA&feature=player_embedded

The uploader adds in his description that he used his real face to set the lock in the first place, and that video is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GxYQAEJUTQ?t=7m34s

It's not one continuous video, but if we take him at face value, this is rather disappointing.

ಠ_ಠ

Hell, not really. Face unlock from the start should be used as a slightly faster, or rather, an alternative to swipe to unlock. If you want actual security, so that someone cannot get INTO your phone, you use one of the other actual secure PIN based lock screens. Very simple concept, folks imagination just seemed to run wild with this. Its not some minority report retina scanner.

walbertsmith said:
The problem is that Google is marketing Face Unlock as a security feature themselves. If that security is easily circumvented and more of a novelty, well then, don't market it as a security feature.

From the official Nexus page:

No where in that quote are they claiming it a serious security system at all. Just another means for a unlock.

walbertsmith said:
Well, that's the problem.. why even tout it as a security feature then?

Thats probably why they are doing no such thing.

giga

The Beatles photo is kind of obvious as well.

the-beatles-in-bandanas.jpg

Lesiroth

giga said:
The Beatles photo is kind of obvious as well.

http://ninameetscafe.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/the-beatles-in-bandanas.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Kind of worried what T-Mobile is doing over there then.

kehs

Banned
I don't think they would stream a Google Music event on youtube.com/android.

e: maybe selling music on android. meh.

SimleuqiR

rabhw said:
The giant T-mobile sign on the wall of the teaser image?
It's not going to be Nexus related. Music being finally a full music service. You probably get a discount on music if you sign up a 2 year slavery contract with T-mobile. Andy said there was a twist to the music service.

From TechCrunch
My hunch? I think we’re going to see some of the fruits of Google’s @Home project, which was announced at Google I/O this year. @Home is the Android platform for connecting ‘real-world’ devices, like speakers, lights, and all sorts of other things up with Android — sort of like Apple’s AirPlay, but for all kinds of applications beyond audio and video.

Or, as the comments point out, it probably would make more sense for this to be related to Google Music, which is rumored to be getting new features over the current version, including the ability to actually buy songs. I still want my Android speakers, though.

Cipherr

walbertsmith said:
Do you have a source on this? If this were true, then yes, that would be more encouraging (still slightly disappointing though, in light of Bray's comment).

Video should do it. 38 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F_ke3rxopc

There wont be any way to mistake the face unlock as a high security feature. They literally label them when you are choosing your unlock option.

QPJ9T.png
Sc7V9.png

Left is from the emulator, right is from the video.

Lesiroth said:

Interesting. Music related seems a certainty, so I'm a bit thrown by the T-Mobile sign. Unless they do something ridiculous like beta the new music store/service on T-Mobile only. The twist is rumoured to be G+ sharing of music.

I hope Google do this right. I'd like music sync like books. Pause on your desktop, play where you left off on your phone. That would be awesome. It works so well on Google Books. Also things you have bought should be automatically synced to your Google Music account so you can always play purchased content in the cloud. If they do it that way Google Music should come out of beta. Sharing of playlists should be easy via G+ too and I'd like some Last.fm features. This is asking a lot, but screw it - it's what I want. Also lets have this release in the UK at the same time, eh Google*?

*Will eat my hat if this happens.

Kagami

Jtwo said:
Wait, what? Android doesn't even offer gapless playback.
You mean Google Music specifically?
Otherwise, there are music apps (that use local storage) for Android that have gapless, e.g. PowerAMP.

Jtwo said:
I don't think anyone here would argue that local storage is less convenient or smooth than streaming a music library over 3g.
I agree wholeheartedly with you on that. Local storage is where it's at.

You can get more storage space with Android than with an iPhone though, since 64GB microSD cards are out now, so you can have 80GB total (16GB internal + 64GB microsd).
(It would be 96GB with one of those mythical "internal 32GB + microsd card slot" phones, but do any of those exist? I keep seeing spec sheets like that but they never seem to actually go on sale in 32GB versions.)

128GB microsd cards should be out about a year from now I'd guess (128GB regular-size SD cards have been out for a while), which gives room to upgrade further without needing to buy a new phone.

Jtwo said:
I don't think anyone here would argue that local storage is less convenient or smooth than streaming a music library over 3g.
I'd definitely argue that. I'm through with dealing with USB transfers, micro SD card adapters, and keeping track of what's on what device. I exclusively use services like Google Music, Dropbox, Google Docs, etc.

Haven't had a single problem yet (I'm on a Verizon Droid 1 running CM7 near NYC and Google Music has never skipped on me). That's not an exaggeration. Pinning albums for offline play when I know I'm going on a plane trip has also worked flawlessly.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Battersea Power Station said:
I'd definitely argue that. I'm through with dealing with USB transfers, micro SD card adapters, and keeping track of what's on what device. I exclusively use services like Google Music, Dropbox, Google Docs, etc.

Haven't had a single problem yet (I'm on a Verizon Droid 1 running CM7 near NYC and Google Music has never skipped on me). That's not an exaggeration. Pinning albums for offline play when I know I'm going on a plane trip has also worked flawlessly.

I'm convinced people don't read my posts.

I pretty much had an identical experience. Same phone same everything except not in New York. However it just stopped working 100% of the time.

I ended up just opting for a lot of internal storage instead and its working out great.

Kagami, 128gig Microsd cards are never coming out ever. I bought a droid thinking I'd just buy a 64gig card in a year.... Those never happened either.

Triple edit: besides the Galaxy nexus doesnt even have an SD slot.

So, Google is hosting an event next week, apparently for Google Music (not so subtle Spinal Tap reference).

However, the most interesting thing is the invite includes TMobile.

googleevent.jpg

New Google Music exclusive to Tmo's Galaxy Nexus, confirmed.

I wish.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Curious to see what its all about. I have no interest in a Google run music marketplace and I don't think anyone else does either. Them suddenly entering the music business is a complete nonfactor either way. Sure maybe it would make things more convenient for their customers but like, come on..

I hope they just officially make the GM service official and add some new stuff and maybe even put out an iPhone app... I still use GM a lot for playing my collection at other people's houses and stuff. Would definitely pay for the locker service if they started to charge.

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:
Curious to see what its all about. I have no interest in a Google run music marketplace and I don't think anyone else does either. Them suddenly entering the music business is a complete nonfactor either way. Sure maybe it would make things more convenient for their customers but like, come on..

I hope they just officially make the GM service official and add some new stuff and maybe even put out an iPhone app... I still use GM a lot for playing my collection at other people's houses and stuff. Would definitely pay for the locker service if they started to charge.

I think they can do some awesome things with Google Music if they integrate....oh wait, this is Google.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I would love to play DJ over hangout but right, its Google.

gcubed

Jtwo said:

I buy from what is cheaper or convienent. Right now my only real choice is Amazon, so ease of functionality is nice. As is purchases automatically in the cloud (without a shit interface, ahem Amazon). As is the ability to do match and not have to upload all my music. Having an online music place is much more than just selling mp3s.

I would think the people who buy these devices everyday would like to have a seamless way to buy music.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I mean if they can have stuff the same price as Amazon or cheaper then of course thats really really good for people. Especially since Google actually is offering the iCloud dream right here and right now. I just don't think it will be anything more than a minor tremor in the grand scheme of things. Its more of a "why did it take so long" kind of thing rather than something to excited about.

gcubed

Jtwo said:
Yeah I mean if they can have stuff the same price as Amazon or cheaper then of course thats really really good for people. I just don't think it will anything more than a minor tremor in the grand scheme of things. Its more of a "why did it take so long" kind of thing rather than something to excited about.
Having match and a non beta streaming service is nice. Being able to lend digital music is nice (one of the rumors)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa wonder what the restrictions would be on that. I have to wonder how killer of a feature that really is though. At any rate, I'll be watchin' live.

Fox318

I just toyed around with a Droid RAZR and it is light and thin.

Felt quick but after using a honeycomb tablet for so long Gingerbread just feels dated.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I didn't notice that TMo branding. Very interested now.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine if that Tmobile signage was just there in the stock photo and nobody noticed.

Lesiroth

Jtwo said:

If they'd support any other country than the US or if their regional restrictions aren't strong, I'd be interested. Strongly interested. Unfortunately I know that's not gonna happen.

Jin34

So I'm thinking of jumping into the smartphone world with that new T-Mobile $30 plan but I want a much better phone than it's offered with that, what is the consensus on the LG G2X to get one used?

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:
Imagine if that Tmobile signage was just there in the stock photo and nobody noticed.

That was my first thought, I actually dismissed that picture in the article since I thought engadget had picked a random building to put in their post.

Lesiroth

Jin34 said:
So I'm thinking of jumping into the smartphone world with that new T-Mobile $30 plan but I want a much better phone than it's offered with that, what is the consensus on the LG G2X to get one used?
Sketchy support and may not get more updates in the future; stay away IMO.

Jin34

Lesiroth said:
Sketchy support and may not get more updates in the future; stay away IMO.

So if I want a good one I should just try and score an HTC Sensation? Galaxy 2 will probably cost a ton.

Cipherr

Jtwo said:
Whoa wonder what the restrictions would be on that. I have to wonder how killer of a feature that really is though. At any rate, I'll be watchin' live.

Push for NFC chips in all manufacturers Android phones. Start advertising lending songs and media via Android Beam.

Bam! we just Inception-ed Googles plans.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa holy fuck that would be amazing. Welcome to the social!

Kagami

Jtwo said:
Kagami, 128gig Microsd cards are never coming out ever. I bought a droid thinking I'd just buy a 64gig card in a year.... Those never happened either.
I'm a little confused since 64gig cards are out now, but are you just saying they take longer than people expect to come out?
So e.g. a 128GB iPhone 5 might come out before 128GB microsd cards do?
It's certainly possible.

Triple edit: besides the Galaxy nexus doesnt even have an SD slot.
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I passed on the Nexus.
Or, rather, not the card slot itself really but just the total space available. If they'd announced a 64GB model with no card slot that would have more acceptable.
Kind of underwhelming being announced right after the 64GB iPhone.
And it sounds like some places may only be getting the 16GB model...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
A google search and an amazon search for 64gig Microsd returns no results. Microsd is a dead format.

This discussion has gone off rails. It's not about what is better or worse. The Decision I made was Best one for myself, I don't recommend Everyone else do the same. Even if giant memory cards existed at the absolute best the experience would be the same as integrated storage. Nobody on earth wants to juggle cards in and out.

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:
A google search and an amazon search for 64gig Microsd returns no results. Microsd is a dead format.

This discussion has gone off rails. It's not about what is better or worse. The Decision I made was Best one for myself, I don't recommend Everyone else do the same. Even if giant memory cards existed at the absolute best the experience would be the same as integrated storage. Nobody on earth wants to juggle cards in and out.

Your crazy man, I carved out three slows from the inside of my battery cover with a dremel so I can have a bunch of microsd cards handy. I hope devices start coming with multi sd card slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom