• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtop

Jtwo said:
A google search and an amazon search for 64gig Microsd returns no results. Microsd is a dead format.

This discussion has gone off rails. It's not about what is better or worse. The Decision I made was Best one for myself, I don't recommend Everyone else do the same. Even if giant memory cards existed at the absolute best the experience would be the same as integrated storage. Nobody on earth wants to juggle cards in and out.

they're a bit pricey. lol

http://www.sandisk.com/products/mobile1-memory-products/sandisk-ultra-microsdxc-card

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
At least they exist, I was seriously starting to doubt them.

Though I guess if you were going to do the math and compare it to the iPhone its only a 20 dollar premium for 16 gig more space. I mean, assuming you have an android device that is 199$ with 16gig of integrated storage of course. Its 200$ extra for a 64gig iPhone and you don't get to keep the initial 16 gig.

Does anyone know a way I can view PDF files without having to leave my browser? I have Adobe Reader and it just seems to download them, and I have to exit the browser to view them.

Shambles

Got the wife a Nexus S and have a few questions about some issues.

The battery life on this thing is terrible. I've ordered an extended battery from ebay but is there anything i should know of that might make a quick fix besides turning off things like GPS/wifi when not in use?

The wifi reception on this thing sucks. From what I read it's a low power device to save energy, is there any way i can boost the signal by sucking more juice when i get the larget battery?

I like how it disables data while roaming since i only have service in the city. However when i'm out in the country i want to disable the network while keeping my wifi on so airplane mode doesn't work. When i manually set the operator i'm using it fails to connect later on in different circumstances. Almost as if the device only wants to lock on to the one tower where i manually set the network. Anyone have any experience/knowledge on this issue? I understand this isn't a typical scenario.

Circle T

Shambles said:
...However when i'm out in the country i want to disable the network while keeping my wifi on so airplane mode doesn't work.
Not sure about the Nexus S, but on both my Captivate and Charge, I can turn on airplane mode to disable the phone and mobile data, but then turn the wifi back on to have a connection. You might try and see if that works.

The battery life on the Nexus S(stock rom) seems to be a software issue.

It never charges to 100%. It gets to 91-96% at best.
On battery it falls from 96% to ~70% really fast, even if you do nothing.

I started to get slightly better battery life after I drained the battery completely. Then I switched over to a custom rom and started getting amazing battery life. Right now my Nexus S has been on for 23 hours (wifi always on) with 43% battery left.

Kagami

rozay said:
Just a heads up, 64GB SD cards are SDXC, not regular SD. It's possible they wont work in devices out today.
It doesn't seem to be an issue on Android, but might be for cameras or other misc devices with simpler software.
The official SDXC file system "ExFAT" isn't supported, so when you first put one in your phone it'll say it's corrupted and then offer to format it, which will make it FAT32.

I saw a blog where someone reported that some apps that display remaining-space indicators don't calculate right, e.g. "photos remaining" in a camera app.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Is compatability for external SD cards app based or os based? I am struggling to get apps to use it even for storage. Using a custom path mainly just gives me sdcard-ext folders on the SD card part of the internal memory.
I did get beyond pod working with it.

poppabk said:
Is compatability for external SD cards app based or os based? I am struggling to get apps to use it even for storage. Using a custom path mainly just gives me sdcard-ext folders on the SD card part of the internal memory.
I did get beyond pod working with it.
depends on the app and way the particular os build maps the external microsd

Sagitario

Galaxy S2 owner here.
I have been using MIUI for a couple of weeks now and while it's really pretty and I love/like the interface/launcher, I am getting tired of it [freezes and other bugs].

Is CM7 better?

Jeff-DSA

I use Handcent and I get lots of blank MMS messages, usually from my wife. Any idea what that crap is? I get them from other people sometimes too, and they're not even sending anything.

zbeeb

Anyone use Swipeswitcher Lite?

Just downloaded it and it works pretty well! The only time I'm having issues is using secondapps gaf webapp - sometimes grabbing the edge of the screen instead of pressing the arrow to see latest posts for a thread.

If only you could continue swiping back through apps instead of just switching to the last used :(

ShdwDrake

Banned
ZZMitch said:
It just seemed like an iPhone clone, which is probably not what that guy is looking for.

Have you seen Miui? Its an iPhone clone in the form of a ROM. Just using a launcher makes more sense imo.

Sagitario said:
Galaxy S2 owner here.
I have been using MIUI for a couple of weeks now and while it's really pretty and I love/like the interface/launcher, I am getting tired of it [freezes and other bugs].

Is CM7 better?

Ive been switching between Unnamed rom and GalnetMIUI.

Unnamed rom is very solid and stable, probably the best rom out right now.

GalnetMIUI is using ICS frame work and its pretty stable for me + its has a really fast browser.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
zbeeb said:
Anyone use Swipeswitcher Lite?

Just downloaded it and it works pretty well! The only time I'm having issues is using secondapps gaf webapp - sometimes grabbing the edge of the screen instead of pressing the arrow to see latest posts for a thread.

If only you could continue swiping back through apps instead of just switching to the last used :(

Thanks for posting this. Nifty little app.

panda21

sorry if its already been mentioned but this any.do app is really slick:

http://www.any.do/

nice simple todo list app, kind of like catch but just for todo stuff. also lets you use google voice to make new items.

shinshoryuken said:
GalnetMIUI is using ICS frame work and its pretty stable for me + its has a really fast browser.

does this mean it has all the ICS features?! i thought they hadnt even released the source yet. is it more stable than miui on the GS2?

i installed MIUI and then woke up the next morning to find my phone switched off of its own accorded, and refusing to boot past the startup logo...

jayb

Does anyone know of a less than 1x1 clock widget? I'd like to have a working clock widget that is the same size as the static clock app icon (the one on the left in the image below). If I resize a clock widget to 1x1, like the one on the right, it looks too big next to the other app icons.
a3h34x.jpg

Blackhead

Redarse
5FDHMl.jpg

I need help with the android filesystem. I don't quite understand it. I don't have an sd card in the galaxy note and the internal storage wont show up on my mac.

zbeeb

Greyface said:
<phones.jpg>

I need help with the android filesystem. I don't quite understand it. I don't have an sd card in the galaxy note and the internal storage wont show up on my mac.

Did you go to settings -> wireless -> use utilities -> connect storage to pc -> now plug in usb cable.

it should show up as a removable drive :)

Blackhead

Redarse
zbeeb said:
Did you go to settings -> wireless -> use utilities -> connect storage to pc -> now plug in usb cable.

it should show up as a removable drive :)
thank you, that worked. is there anything I need to know about the differences between the sdcard and internal storage or has all that now been abstracted away?

I'm looking to buy the iAnnotate PDF app for the Galaxy Note but can't find it. Which store is it located in?

The default browser seems to suck :? downloading isn't working properly and i can't scroll frames. Thankfully firefox isn't too bad.

panda21 said:
does this mean it has all the ICS features?! i thought they hadnt even released the source yet. is it more stable than miui on the GS2?

i installed MIUI and then woke up the next morning to find my phone switched off of its own accorded, and refusing to boot past the startup logo...

it uses android 4.0.1(ICS) framework but looks just like MIUI but has some ICS implemented like power management and ram management.

So far its been stable, I get the occasional force closure but nothing to drastic.

Run pretty smooth and stable even when overclocked to 1.6Ghz.

Battery life is not too bad, right now I'm 14 hours on battery with moderate/heavy use and I still have 25% left.

I usually switch back and forth between GalnetMIUI and Unnamed ROM when ever its full charged.

After getting more familiar with the ROM cooker community(XDA) im pretty confident that the AT&T version on GS2 will get ICS as soon as the international version gets it. There's alot of talented developers on xda, they even got NFC to work on the GS2.

panda21

I just installed galnet ics and it's good so far, can't wait for a real Ics rom. Will be interesting to see what Miui do with it.

Is there no 'stock' android launcher? Like a default google one? All the custom roms I have seen use ADW or MIUI. What do the 2.x nexus phones use, and why isn't that in the custom roms? Presumably there is a google ICS launcher too, will that be in CM9? Or do google not make that open source? What about lock screens and stuff?

kehs

Banned
panda21 said:
I just installed galnet ics and it's good so far, can't wait for a real Ics rom. Will be interesting to see what Miui do with it.

Is there no 'stock' android launcher? Like a default google one? All the custom roms I have seen use ADW or MIUI. What do the 2.x nexus phones use, and why isn't that in the custom roms? Presumably there is a google ICS launcher too, will that be in CM9? Or do google not make that open source? What about lock screens and stuff?

ADW is based off the stock launcher, so just don't use any of the options.

I know Cyanogen posted the stocklauncher on the market as a joke for $.99.

You could probably find it on XDA if you look around.

e: Stock Gingerbread launchers:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.ebproductions.android.launcher&feature=search_result

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.modaco.android.launchergb&feature=search_result

Blackhead

Redarse
Which of the launchers/lockscreen replacements work in both landscape and portrait? Or is it possible to mod the touchwiz launcher to work in landscape?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Greyface said:
Which of the launchers/lockscreen replacements work in both landscape and portrait? Or is it possible to mod the touchwiz launcher to work in landscape?

As far as launchers, I know ADW works in both.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Greyface said:
Go launcher works in both and will auto rotate.

titiklabingapat said:
Just a heads up to USA Android GAF, Quick Office Pro is Amazon's free app of the day. $15 value.
oh wow, Amazon trolling the non-US Americans real hard today.

edit: double oh wow, QuickOffice Pro HD (for Honeycomb Tablets) is also FREE today.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'd like an app recommendation for craigslist/ebay/kijiji/rfd/dealextreme/amazon. One simple app that sends notfications whenever an item i'm interested in goes on sale or becomes available.

Lesiroth

zbeeb said:
international release or bust. I'm tired of google doing 'beta' and 'us only'
Seeing as how Google Music itself is US-only, I strongly doubt it. But I just hope they'll make it easy to get through regional restrictions, Amazon and iTunes require US-based credit cards which makes it too hard.

BTW, what happened to Copernicus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom