• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimleuqiR

Lesiroth said:
Seeing as how Google Music itself is US-only, I strongly doubt it. But I just hope they'll make it easy to get through regional restrictions, Amazon and iTunes require US-based credit cards which makes it too hard.

BTW, what happened to Copernicus?

Our British corespondent says:

OriginalThinking said:
He got banned for calling someone an idiot in the sales tax thread without justifying it. This may have been whilst under the influence of alcoholic beverages

From the Nexus Prime/Tuna thread.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna make fun of Copernicus so hard when he gets online.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
We are jerk free for two weeks, gents. Time to reorder the android fanboy hierarchy!

SimleuqiR

Looks like there is really no hope left in the US Wireless space. I mean when Sprint is heading the way of the Big TWO....

http://androidandme.com/2011/11/car...t-unlimited-commercials-yeah-neither-do-they/

Sprint has confirmed that they are moving away from offering unlimited plans for all devices but phones starting today. Instead, Sprint will be offering the customary tiered data plans that customers of AT&T and Verizon have come to expect from their carriers. Sprint will be offering the following plans to all new and existing customers:

6GB for $50 per month
12 GB for $80 per month

Sprint is also launching new data price points for their tablet and dedicated mobile hotspot customers. The new prices are as follows:

Tablets-only: $20 per month for 1GB of data
Tablets + Hotspot: $35 per month for 3GB
Tablets + Hotspot: $50 per month for 6GB
Tablets + Hotspot: $80 per month for 12GB

No Obi-Wan for us folks.

SimleuqiR said:
Looks like there is really no hope left in the US Wireless space. I mean when Sprint is heading the way of the Big TWO....

http://androidandme.com/2011/11/car...t-unlimited-commercials-yeah-neither-do-they/

No Obi-Wan for us folks.
never forget!

qsd2c.jpg

oh wait... "all devices but phones"

never mind!

Everyone knows I'm the boss around these parts. Right. Right?

In other news I got to play with a Galaxy Note today. It's hot. Would still look ridiculous using it as a phone, but it's super thin, feels nice and the screen is incredible. Pentile haters be damned it looks lovely and not over saturated. See my G+ post here

https://plus.google.com/102620756651814313200/posts/2g9rYfYtBey

In addition the rep said the Galaxy Nexus was great and that facetime works brilliantly. Yay!

Futureman

Looks like that Green Day song on the Music Market screenshot is $1.29 while only $0.99 on Amazon. I guess Google's prices will be more in line with iTunes then?

Blackhead

Redarse
OriginalThinking said:

In other news I got to play with a Galaxy Note today. It's hot. Would still look ridiculous using it as a phone, but it's super thin, feels nice and the screen is incredible. Pentile haters be damned it looks lovely and not over saturated. See my G+ post here

In addition the rep said the Galaxy Nexus was great and that facetime works brilliantly. Yay!
I've noticed color banding in some apps but that aside the screen is amazing. videos and comics look brilliant :0

Ok it's the steps for setting up the android phone to connect the storage to a computer are tiresome. is there a shortcut? by the way, how can i change the default download location for the browser and other apps from the internal storage to the sdcard?

Kagami

OriginalThinking said:
In other news I got to play with a Galaxy Note today. It's hot. Would still look ridiculous using it as a phone, but it's super thin, feels nice and the screen is incredible. Pentile haters be damned it looks lovely and not over saturated.
Yeah, I was surprised by the Note's screen.
I expected there to be some pentile artifacts that would be noticeable, since I actually make use of the 1280x800 rez (e.g. reading tiny text on web pages/comic books by holding the phone close instead of zooming). But even testing worst-case red-on-black images, I couldn't see it. If I close one eye, and hold the phone up to the other eye, I think I can sort of make it out.
It bodes well for the Nexus, too.

Kagami said:
Yeah, I was surprised by the Note's screen.
I expected there to be some pentile artifacts that would be noticeable, since I actually make use of the 1280x800 rez (e.g. reading tiny text on web pages/comic books by holding the phone close instead of zooming). But even testing worst-case red-on-black images, I couldn't see it. If I close one eye, and hold the phone up to the other eye, I think I can sort of make it out.
It bodes well for the Nexus, too.

Long sighted pirates are fucked.

Kagami

Greyface said:
Ok it's the steps for setting up the android phone to connect the storage to a computer are tiresome. is there a shortcut?
The Note's a bit goofy compared to my previous Android on this.
It defaults to MTP mode, which I have no idea how works on a Mac. On Windows you can still move files on and off in that mode.
One option is to go to Settings -> Applications -> Development, and check on "USB debugging."
Then when you plug the phone in to USB, the entry in the drag-down notification pane should say "Select to copy files to/from your computer" and you can click on that to jump to the USB storage connection screen.

Something else you might find interesting to look into are wireless transfer/sync apps that can connect with your Mac over your LAN. (Actually Samsung built a couple of those into the phone: the Kies Air app, which acts as an http server on the phone for you to connect with from a web browser, and "Kies via Wi-Fi" (Settings -> Wireless and network) which connects to the Kies sync program running on a computer.)

by the way, how can i change the default download location for the browser and other apps from the internal storage to the sdcard?
I don't think there's a universal setting that all apps reference. (Unless someone knows otherwise...?)
The stock browser has a setting called "Default storage" you can change.

I've noticed the way the terms "Phone" and "sdcard" are used can be inconsistent. In the Note web browser, "Phone" means the internal big storage area (/mnt/sdcard) and "Memory card" means the physical microsd card. (/mnt/sdcard/external_sd)
But for a lot of apps, "SD card" means /mnt/sdcard and "Phone" means the 2GB app install & data area (/data/data) and the real microsd card isn't even an option.
Some apps let you pick specific folders for things in which case you can get at either the internal storage or the microsd card pretty straightforwardly.

SimleuqiR

OriginalThinking said:

Well, your last name does start with an "M".

Blackhead

Redarse
Kagami said:
The Note's a bit goofy compared to my previous Android on this.
It defaults to MTP mode, which I have no idea how works on a Mac. On Windows you can still move files on and off in that mode.
One option is to go to Settings -> Applications -> Development, and check on "USB debugging."
Then when you plug the phone in to USB, the entry in the drag-down notification pane should say "Select to copy files to/from your computer" and you can click on that to jump to the USB storage connection screen.

Something else you might find interesting to look into are wireless transfer/sync apps that can connect with your Mac over your LAN. (Actually Samsung built a couple of those into the phone: the Kies Air app, which acts as an http server on the phone for you to connect with from a web browser, and "Kies via Wi-Fi" (Settings -> Wireless and network) which connects to the Kies sync program running on a computer.)
Thanks. The usb debugging mode works nicely. I've been sticking in the usb cable before pressing samsung's connect to pc button, purely out of habit, and it was extra annoying unplugging the cable and then going through the steps again. The quick notification of the usb debugging mode is what I
m used to from the webos phones.

I tried the kies air app before i was shown the way to connect over usb. The kies air app couldn't upload folders so it's far from ideal. I haven't tried the Kies Sync Program because I've heard that it sucks, never actually used it myself. I did install the Kies (sync program) for the root process and it was the easiest root I've done yet :)

Kagami said:
I don't think there's a universal setting that all apps reference. (Unless someone knows otherwise...?)
The stock browser has a setting called "Default storage" you can change.

I've noticed the way the terms "Phone" and "sdcard" are used can be inconsistent. In the Note web browser, "Phone" means the internal big storage area (/mnt/sdcard) and "Memory card" means the physical microsd card. (/mnt/sdcard/external_sd)
But for a lot of apps, "SD card" means /mnt/sdcard and "Phone" means the 2GB app install & data area (/data/data) and the real microsd card isn't even an option.
Some apps let you pick specific folders for things in which case you can get at either the internal storage or the microsd card pretty straightforwardly.
Yeah this is very confusing; i couldn't find the /data/data/ folder at first until i used the root explorer. I hope Duarte turns his attention to this area, there is a great opportunity to reinvent the file system ui here. I was able scan the usb and sd cards older with daisydisk on my mac so that's a plus though.

Any more tips you care to share? which browser, launcher and theme are you using?

Angst

Tribes of Trusty said:
Heya fellow GSII users, which custom rom are you using ? I'm hesitating between Villainrom and CriskeloRom...
CyanogenMod nightlies. It's wonderful combined with Go Launcher Ex.

Angst said:
CyanogenMod nightlies. It's wonderful combined with Go Launcher Ex.
I've heard there are certain features that do not work on CM (such as MHL output).

But if CM is as good as the TouchPad alpha, it must be really nice to use.

Doopliss

Tribes of Trusty said:
Heya fellow GSII users, which custom rom are you using ? I'm hesitating between Villainrom and CriskeloRom...
I currently use VillainROM with SiyahKernel. It keeps things close to the original firmware but gives (allegedly) slightly better performance and adds a few extra features and of course root access. I also used Cognition for a long time but it stopped getting many updates when the dev switched to an AT&T GS2. I think he's working on a ROM now that works on both that and the international GS2, which should be interesting.

Cyanogenmod is good but the poor video support is a deal breaker for me. I might try and survive without my DVD rips if they get ICS ported soonish, though.

I haven't tried CriskeloROM but the UI theming of the screenshots in his thread looks horrible.

SimleuqiR said:
Well, your last name does start with an "M".

An astute observation. At this rate Nexus S owners will have ice cream sandwiches well before any Galaxy Nexus is even available in the states. I remember how annoyed I was about the time it took to release Gingerbread on the Nexus One. You Nexus S owners, always having the last laugh.

P.S Verizon am fail.

Lesiroth

Doopliss said:
I currently use VillainROM with SiyahKernel. It keeps things close to the original firmware but gives (allegedly) slightly better performance and adds a few extra features and of course root access. I also used Cognition for a long time but it stopped getting many updates when the dev switched to an AT&T GS2. I think he's working on a ROM now that works on both that and the international GS2, which should be interesting.

Cyanogenmod is good but the poor video support is a deal breaker for me. I might try and survive without my DVD rips if they get ICS ported soonish, though.

I haven't tried CriskeloROM but the UI theming of the screenshots in his thread looks horrible.
Pondering this right now for my SGS ;_;

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
On a side note my GF is still is kind of grrr about her Inspire 4g. It was a solid phone when she got it, but the gingerbread update has been less than stellar. She swears she doesn't get near the performance she got with froyo, and she still has the bug where her contacts don't show up when she gets texts from them. It's just a number instead of linking to the correct contact and displaying the name.

Compound that with the fact that none of the Desire HD line was shown to be in line to get ICS (at least not in their 1st proposed wave), and I doubt she'll ever get another HTC phone even if she likes Android at the heart of things.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
killakiz said:
ICS source code just got pushed.
No more Honeycomb Gingerbread bullshit delays here. Instead, it's the phone being put on the hush.

Heh, just noticed that the ICS source release will also include code for 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2. Better late than ever, I guess, but I can't imagine many uses for old codebases.

Lesiroth

Zombie James said:
Heh, just noticed that the ICS source release will also include code for 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2. Better late than ever, I guess, but I can't imagine many uses for old codebases.
Now no one can dare call Android not open source!

beje

Banned
Let's hope ICS doesn't see a huge delay for the Xperia 2011 line, as it looks like SE learnt their lesson with the user uproar and bad rep that happened when they thought they could get away with leaving the just released X8 and X10 lines stuck on 1.6 when 2.2 was almost already rolling out.

jokkir

Can someone explain to be the advantages and disadvantages of rooting my Nexus S? I thought I should just wait for ICS but having second thoughts.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
SimleuqiR said:
I will laugh if I get to install a CM9 ICS rom before the Nexus is released by Verizon

doubt it will be that quick...Nexus will be out somewhere this week.

CM9 is on the way! This Christmas I celebrate 1 year with my Incredible, aptly named as it has been the most incredible phone I've ever owned. And I will get my Transformer Prime.

Fatalah

Jayayess1190 said:
CM9 is on the way! This Christmas I celebrate 1 year with my Incredible, aptly named as it has been the most incredible phone I've ever owned. And I will get my Transformer Prime.
I'm still with my Incredible as well, but I never wanted to root it until now. I hope CM9 works well with it, how is it with CM7?

Kagami

Greyface said:
Thanks. The usb debugging mode works nicely.
There's also an option in Settings -> Location and security: "Disable USB debugging mode," which prevents USB debugging when the screen is locked, which you may want if you want to leave the USB debugging option on all the time but don't want someone to be able to bypass your lock screen via debugging if it's lost/stolen.

I've been sticking in the usb cable before pressing samsung's connect to pc button, purely out of habit, and it was extra annoying unplugging the cable and then going through the steps again.
Haha yes. Every time!
My previous Android phone didn't do this MTP mode thing; it behaved the way the Note does with USB debugging on, but it did it with USB debugging off.

I played around a bit with trying to use Kies and also Windows Media Player to sync music in MTP mode, but they both abort the transfer after a few songs. Not sure what's going on there, though I've read people having trouble with WMP causing numerous problems syncing to Android phones so it's probably just as well I stick to mass-storage mode.

Yeah this is very confusing; i couldn't find the /data/data/ folder at first until i used the root explorer.
Yeah you aren't intended to access /data/data directly; that's where apps store their private data/settings that other apps aren't allowed to access.

Any more tips you care to share? which browser, launcher and theme are you using?
I'm currently using the stock browser and launcher, but I've run into a few pages the stock browser didn't seem to like (got "turn on javascript!" text and some frames missing scroll bars) so I'll probably mess with other browsers when it happens on a page I care about.

Tips...hmm.
  • The included Clock app has five tabs: alarms, world clock, stop watch, countdown timer, and desk clock/calendar mode, so if you need to do any of those things take a look at it first; might wind up not needing additional time apps.
  • The Note video camera defaults to 1280x720 recording, so change that first if you want 1920x1080.
  • Asphalt 6 HD is $6.99 on the Android Market but it's downloadable for free in the Samsung Apps store on the Note. It's a fairly pretty racing game. Most of the other free games in there seem to just be the standard free ad-supported versions.

Fatalah said:
I'm still with my Incredible as well, but I never wanted to root it until now. I hope CM9 works well with it, how is it with CM7?
Amazing, so good I will never go back to sense. I have mine currently looking like ICS and it is greatt.

Angst

Tribes of Trusty said:
I've heard there are certain features that do not work on CM (such as MHL output).

But if CM is as good as the TouchPad alpha, it must be really nice to use.
Yep MHL is missing unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom