• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
Kagami said:
I'm currently using the stock browser and launcher, but I've run into a few pages the stock browser didn't seem to like (got "turn on javascript!" text and some frames missing scroll bars) so I'll probably mess with other browsers when it happens on a page I care about.
I've tested the firefox and opera browser. firefox would be my default choice if it played flash videos. :( I might just have to wait for the ICS browser.

Kagami said:
Tips...hmm.
  • The included Clock app has five tabs: alarms, world clock, stop watch, countdown timer, and desk clock/calendar mode, so if you need to do any of those things take a look at it first; might wind up not needing additional time apps.
  • The Note video camera defaults to 1280x720 recording, so change that first if you want 1920x1080.
  • Asphalt 6 HD is $6.99 on the Android Market but it's downloadable for free in the Samsung Apps store on the Note. It's a fairly pretty racing game. Most of the other free games in there seem to just be the standard free ad-supported versions.
Thanks again for the tips. I didn't realize Samsung Apps was different from the S choice app and had a much larger selection. I think I opted out of creating an account when I first set up the phone. Do I need one? Is it region specific, do you know? I'm looking for an app, iAnnotate PDF, that Samsung announced as already being available but can't find it.

Zapages

hopefully we get ICS build for the GS2 and the touchpad... Better yet hope we get the Win 8 port to the touch pad and that would be awesome. *willing to pay for Win 8* and somehow install it on it through USB connection.* :)

SimleuqiR

Lesiroth said:
Now no one can dare call Android not open source!

You spoke too soon!!

Android 4.0 code is now available, but the code drop doesn’t fully ameliorate the fundamental issue raised by Honeycomb: Google has the ability to withhold code for any given release as it sees fit, because the actual Android development process occurs behind closed doors. Publishing the ICS source is a welcome move, but changes in governance are still needed to make Android a truly open project.

KiKaL

Adobe has Released their line of apps. Each is priced at $9.99.

Photoshop Touch
Transform images with core Photoshop features in an app designed for tablets.
Combine images, apply professional effects, share results with friends and family through sites like Facebook, and more – all from the convenience of your tablet.

Adobe Ideas
Adobe Ideas is the digital sketchpad app to create vector drawings anywhere.
Great ideas show up anywhere. Adobe® Ideas is the essential digital sketchpad app that lets you design almost anywhere using vectors, layers, and color themes. With Adobe Ideas create finished design work ready for production. Or easily access the results for refining in Adobe Illustrator® or Photoshop®

Adobe Proto
Adobe Proto lets you create wireframes of websites and apps on your tablet.
Design interactive wireframes and prototypes for websites and mobile apps with the convenience of simple touch gestures.

Adobe Debut
Adobe Debut lets you present designs and capture feedback on your tablet.
Adobe® Debut is the new Adobe Touch App that lets you elegantly present select Adobe Creative Suite® designs to clients and colleagues virtually anywhere with confidence and complete control.

Adobe Collage
Adobe Collage lets you assemble moodboards combining images, drawings, and text.
Adobe® Collage lets you capture and refine concepts by combining inspirational images, drawings, text, and files from select Adobe Creative Suite® components into modern, conceptual moodboards. Upload your files to Adobe Creative Cloud* to refine later or share with others.

I just picked up Photoshop Touch and Proto and am playing with them now.

SimleuqiR

KiKaL said:
Adobe has Released their line of apps

Photoshop Touch
Combine images, apply professional effects, share results with friends and family through sites like Facebook, and more – all from the convenience of your tablet.

Adobe Ideas
Great ideas show up anywhere. Adobe® Ideas is the essential digital sketchpad app that lets you design almost anywhere using vectors, layers, and color themes. With Adobe Ideas create finished design work ready for production. Or easily access the results for refining in Adobe Illustrator® or Photoshop®

Adobe Proto
Design interactive wireframes and prototypes for websites and mobile apps with the convenience of simple touch gestures.

Adobe Debut
Adobe® Debut is the new Adobe Touch App that lets you elegantly present select Adobe Creative Suite® designs to clients and colleagues virtually anywhere with confidence and complete control.

Adobe Collage
Adobe Collage lets you assemble moodboards combining images, drawings, and text.
Adobe® Collage lets you capture and refine concepts by combining inspirational images, drawings, text, and files from select Adobe Creative Suite® components into modern, conceptual moodboards. Upload your files to Adobe Creative Cloud* to refine later or share with others.

$10.00? That's very reasonable. Will probably buy Touch and Ideas this weekend.

panda21

what is up with xda?! i've been trying to follow if any ICS stuff is on the way, but that place is just ridiculous, so many trolls. its like the gamefaqs of android

panda21 said:
what is up with xda?! i've been trying to follow if any ICS stuff is on the way, but that place is just ridiculous, so many trolls. its like the gamefaqs of android

If you want to follow what's actually being changed or added to Cyanogenmod without all the discussion, just go here and find your model.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
KiKaL said:
Adobe has Released their line of apps. Each is priced at $9.99.

Photoshop Touch

Adobe Ideas

Adobe Proto

Adobe Debut

Adobe Collage

Do these have pen pressure integration?

Futureman

SimleuqiR said:
You spoke too soon!!

well isn't this basically business as usual? Don't they basically HAVE to operate like this? Like I'm sure there's a new Music app coming to the Market tonight, but Google hasn't released it in the ICS source code that they put out yesterday.

That would fit under the umbrella of "withhold any code they see fit," though I guess it could be used for more nefarious reasons.

SimleuqiR

Futureman said:
well isn't this basically business as usual? Don't they basically HAVE to operate like this? Like I'm sure there's a new Music app coming to the Market tonight, but Google hasn't released it in the ICS source code that they put out yesterday.

That would fit under the umbrella of "withhold any code they see fit," though I guess it could be used for more nefarious reasons.

Yes. It's the "Open Source" advocates that have a finite definition of what's open and they don't seem to like how Google uses that particular term to promote Android as open.

In other news...An Android Wedding:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/104629412415657030658/posts/T8sUeX5GMyi

NotSureIfWant.jpg

Sky Chief said:
Engadget has their HTC Rezound review up:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/15/htc-rezound-review/

Sounds like a fantastic phone in every way except for abysmal battery life which will be a huge deal breaker. How is HTC so incompetent?

I've seen an alarming number of people on the subway (New York City) using Rezounds.

I have not seen a single RAZR. I really do think the Beats aspect appeals to a lot of people. Craziness.

gcubed

Vyse The Legend said:
I've seen an alarming number of people on the subway (New York City) using Rezounds.

I have not seen a single RAZR. I really do think the Beats aspect appeals to a lot of people. Craziness.

or they think the razr is ugly

Sky Chief

Vyse The Legend said:

To be fair, reading the review it sounds like a fantastic phone in every way except that even under moderate use the battery barely lasted 12 hours.

rozay

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
HTC phone with bad battery life? not shocking!
The Desire S and Incredible S both had great battery life in my experience. Wonder why these CDMA phones fare so badly.

Sky Chief said:
Engadget has their HTC Rezound review up:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/15/htc-rezound-review/

Sounds like a fantastic phone in every way except for abysmal battery life which will be a huge deal breaker. How is HTC so incompetent?

HTC has long been known for not caring about battery life. My very first smartphone years ago now was an HTC Hermes (AT&T 8525) which shipped with Windows Mobile 5.0 on it. The battery life sucked on it. Nothing has changed since then.

Kagami

Greyface said:
I didn't realize Samsung Apps was different from the S choice app and had a much larger selection. I think I opted out of creating an account when I first set up the phone. Do I need one? Is it region specific, do you know?
S Choice looks like it may just be a link to the S Choice section of Samsung Apps.
I haven't made a Samsung account (I do have a Google account on the phone for the Android Market) but it still lets me download free stuff.
When I installed Asphalt 6 HD, it flashed something briefly on the screen about identifying the phone and licensing; might have checked to see it was a Samsung.
I think I selected U.K. for the region but I can't seem to find a setting for that in the app on the phone now; I may be getting confused with the Kies program on the PC.
Kies has the same app store as the phone, and it has a huge list of regions you can select from (but America and Japan are missing). I checked Korea in case maybe iAnnotate was there first but it's not there either.

I'm looking for an app, iAnnotate PDF, that Samsung announced as already being available but can't find it.
I can't find it either. Googling around, it doesn't look like there's anything about it but that same press release, so maybe it's not really out yet.

Vyse The Legend said:

Motorola has driven a lot of people away with their shitty, buggy Android skinning after the OG Droid was (mostly) a pure Android experience. I'm not surprised their sales are starting to tank as their reputation for slow, buggy, crashy phones has spread far and wide. If I do end up getting the Galaxy Tuna I will have to strongly resist the urge to drop my X off a bridge into the ocean.

jokkir

When you root your phone, what is changed exactly? Will the UI look the same? Also, will I be able to install stock firmware once it's out? I really want ICS but if rooting disables your phone from updating to that then I don't think i'll root.

zoku88

jokkir said:
When you root your phone, what is changed exactly? Will the UI look the same? Also, will I be able to install stock firmware once it's out? I really want ICS but if rooting disables your phone from updating to that then I don't think i'll root.
"rooting" is just something from Unix.

It means getting root permission (as in, the root user. The user that can do everything.)

In Unix, users don't have admin privileges by default.

You can update, but you'll lose root when you do until someone comes out with a rooted ROM (or you could reroot after updating).

Cipherr

The Faceless Master said:
HTC phone with bad battery life? not shocking!

A crying shame. Should have stuffed a 2050mAh battery in that thick son of a bitch and made a phone of it. Thats a real bad opportunity missed right there, for no freaking reason.

Phone looks GREAT aside from the mediocre battery life.

Husker86

jokkir said:
I think the term "root-access" is more fitting. All you are getting is access to root privileges. As this is a software thing, updating will remove that access; depending on the method of obtaining root access, updating to official software via the normal OTA may be possible.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
htczeta-1321395227.jpg

Ready for today's grain of salt? We just got handed imagery and specs of a possible HTC device in the works codenamed the Zeta. It's a quad-core handset, much like the Edge that was leaked last week, but it has a much faster 2.5GHz APQ8064 CPU along with 1GB of RAM running the show, on a 4.5-inch 720p HD display. According to our source, the uniquely shaped smartphone will come with Ice Cream Sandwich pre-installed with Sense UI (version 4.0 wasn't specified, but we'd be surprised to see it any lower on an ICS device) and have 32GB of internal storage space, an 1,830mAh battery, Beats Audio, Bluetooth 4.0, an 8MP rear camera with dual LED flash, 1080p video capture and a 1.3MP front-facing cam. Dimensions? We have those, too: the Zeta is said to measure at 109.8 x 60.9 x 9.8mm (4.32 x 2.4 x 0.39 inches) and weigh 5.15 ounces (146g). Pricing and availability aren't known, and we're still digging for more info. It certainly has an intriguing look; the sharp corners would be a huge departure from HTC's recent design choices, though it appears to have HTC's signature unibody build in the back. So are we just looking at a cool concept or is this the next flagship phone? We're hoping it's the latter.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/15/htc-zeta-rendered-rumored-to-pack-2-5ghz-quad-core-cpu-and-ice/

oogly...in my opinion

giga

APQ8064 doesn't include a wireless modem for cellular connectivity. It's meant for tablets and music players. Nice job fact checking Engadget.

Husker86

funkystudent said:
maybe because HTC will crap up ICS with sense so they need buttons?

I'm ready to try a Nexus device this generation, however after reading all the complaints from people like Jtwo who had a stock Android device, and seeing those complaints (by way of added features) be fixed by Sense, I'm not so sure stock Android is that great. I didn't even realize how lacking it was since I've never not had Sense. Doesn't CM even have to add a bunch of stuff to make AOSP fully functional? Doesn't the stock Android camera (pre-ICS) suck?

Maybe ICS is a more complete OS though. I hope so, since like I said I'm gonna be going Nexus.

giga said:
APQ8064 doesn't include a wireless modem for cellular connectivity. It's meant for tablets and music players. Nice job fact checking Engadget.

Since when are phones not allowed to have multiple chips in them? (or is there something specific about this in the chip that i'm ignorant of?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom