• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

DrFunk said:
htczeta-1321395227.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/15/htc-zeta-rendered-rumored-to-pack-2-5ghz-quad-core-cpu-and-ice/

oogly...in my opinion

Show me the battery life. Thats a hefty battery, but QC 2.5ghz? I cannot imagine that right now. Especially not with decent battery life. We will see.

Husker86 said:
I'm ready to try a Nexus device this generation, however after reading all the complaints from people like Jtwo who had a stock Android device, and seeing those complaints (by way of added features) be fixed by Sense, I'm not so sure stock Android is that great. I didn't even realize how lacking it was since I've never not had Sense. Doesn't CM even have to add a bunch of stuff to make AOSP fully functional? Doesn't the stock Android camera (pre-ICS) suck?

Maybe ICS is a more complete OS though. I hope so, since like I said I'm gonna be going Nexus.

CM adds a custom launcher, because I guess nobody wants to use the stock Gingerbread launcher. Besides that it adds useful tweaks and settings and a few custom apps. It's mostly the stock Android except where stock Android can obviously be improved on.

I'm running CM7 on my Touchpad and while stock Android is ugly it's more than plenty functional. Compare that with the pretty but barely functional WebOS and it should be obvious why I never boot into WebOS anymore on my Touchpad.

thespot84

Husker86 said:
I'm ready to try a Nexus device this generation, however after reading all the complaints from people like Jtwo who had a stock Android device, and seeing those complaints (by way of added features) be fixed by Sense, I'm not so sure stock Android is that great. I didn't even realize how lacking it was since I've never not had Sense. Doesn't CM even have to add a bunch of stuff to make AOSP fully functional? Doesn't the stock Android camera (pre-ICS) suck?

Maybe ICS is a more complete OS though. I hope so, since like I said I'm gonna be going Nexus.

i had the same phone as Jtwo and have had stock gingerbread (now 2.3.7) since gingerbread came out, what problems are you talking about? Any problem i've had thus far was due to the phone (which I'm sure Jtwo can vouch for) but as far as I can tell 2.3 was fairly complete.... I'm talking about being a smartphone, not advanced stuff like gapless playback and mkv support.

malyce

Cipherr said:
Show me the battery life. Thats a hefty battery, but QC 2.5ghz? I cannot imagine that right now. Especially not with decent battery life. We will see.
smh @ worrying about the battery life of an HTC phone, shitty battery life is an HTC feature.

Cipherr said:

Aggressively low idle clocks and a 28nm process leaves me unconcerned.

I have absolutely no idea why we need quad cores in phones right now though. I'd rather have a good dual core and have more die space dedicated to the gpu.

rozay

Banned
TouchMyBox said:
Aggressively low idle clocks and a 28nm process leaves me unconcerned.

I have absolutely no idea why we need quad cores in phones right now though. I'd rather have a good dual core and have more die space dedicated to the gpu.
why bother optimizing when you can just add more cores

rozay said:
why bother optimizing when you can just add more cores

I can see the reason why more cores would be necessary before ICS because the user experience without any sort of GUI/2D acceleration really suffered. Once working hardware acceleration arrives, though, I think they'll tone it down a bit.

Husker86

thespot84 said:
i had the same phone as Jtwo and have had stock gingerbread (now 2.3.7) since gingerbread came out, what problems are you talking about? Any problem i've had thus far was due to the phone (which I'm sure Jtwo can vouch for) but as far as I can tell 2.3 was fairly complete.... I'm talking about being a smartphone, not advanced stuff like gapless playback and mkv support.

Honestly I cannot remember exactly. I just recall responding to Jtwo a few times in the Android thread when he would ask about missing features (mostly regarding settings if I remember correctly) and telling him where they were, but they ended up being HTC added, not native Android things.

I'm sure I'll change my tune when I get the GN, it's just that I've never felt held back by Sense and was only mildly a fan of CM builds that I've tried. I try to defend all the hate it gets =p

I really don't believe in the update speed argument either. Firstly, the only phones now besides the Nexus devices with stock Android are cheap phones (at least in the US) and I am willing to bet that they don't get faster updates than Sense'd/Motoblur'd/TouchWiz'd flagship phones. Obviously the Nexus will get first updates. Back when the Droid was still supported my EVO got 2.2 before it so yeah...not buying it. Manufacturers are going to update fast if they want to, regardless of skinning.

giga

TouchMyBox said:
Since when are phones not allowed to have multiple chips in them? (or is there something specific about this in the chip that i'm ignorant of?)
If they're using a Qualcomm SoC, they'll use one with an integrated modem.

VPhys

Went to the Verizon store today and here are my impressions.

Droid RAZR: Terrible screen. Not sure if it's pentile but the screen has a screen door effect. Text on web pages not readable without zooming. Scrolling and zoom in and zoom out on webpages still stutters even with dual core processor. Not impressively thin, didn't feel much thinner than my Droid X.

HTZ Rezound: Thick phone, but the the screen is nice. The screen is comparable to the Retina display but with a larger size. Text was easily legible without zooming.

Iphone 4S: I can't believe the retina display has aged this well. It's easily comparable to the best android displays out there today. Scrolling and zooming was SUPER SMOOTH. Did not like the size of the 3.5" display but I'd take the tradeoff in display size over phones like the RAZR because of the pixel density and clarity of the screen. OS as a whole was very fluid and smooth.

Here's hoping the Nexus becomes top dog.

edit: I also took a look at the Galaxy Tab 10.1 just to see if I liked Honeycomb. Seemed good enough, I'm willing to sacrifice a little smoothness for more flexibility in a Tablet (not that I did a thorough comparison, but I'm just assuming that the ios5 is more fluid). I plan to sell my Ipad2 for a Transformer Prime and Honeycomb did not sway my decision so I was happy with that.

Pctx

Banned
I'm jumping on the Android bandwagon (finally) even though I said I was going to wait. Skyrocket is too damn tempting and I'm jumping onboard. Could care less about screen resolution as ICS will work on whatever and the phone is f'ning amazing in person. Anyone else here gotten it? I'll post some impressions once I snag the thing here in the next few days.

Ironically, my wife fell for "I want to take pictures and videos of our son!" bit which is somewhat what the phone is for but I'm just so done with iOS.

thespot84

Husker86 said:
Honestly I cannot remember exactly. I just recall responding to Jtwo a few times in the Android thread when he would ask about missing features (mostly regarding settings if I remember correctly) and telling him where they were, but they ended up being HTC added, not native Android things.

I'm sure I'll change my tune when I get the GN, it's just that I've never felt held back by Sense and was only mildly a fan of CM builds that I've tried. I try to defend all the hate it gets =p

I really don't believe in the update speed argument either. Firstly, the only phones now besides the Nexus devices with stock Android are cheap phones (at least in the US) and I am willing to bet that they don't get faster updates than Sense'd/Motoblur'd/TouchWiz'd flagship phones. Obviously the Nexus will get first updates. Back when the Droid was still supported my EVO got 2.2 before it so yeah...not buying it. Manufacturers are going to update fast if they want to, regardless of skinning.

I think we should clarify, what do you mean by stock? Just because a phone does not have a 3rd party interface (sense/blur/wiz) doesn't mean it's a 'google experience' phone. My OG is a case in point: it doesn't have moto blur but moto definitely had their filthy hands all up in there. There were plenty of things that moto disabled (like tether) at the behest of the carriers. The only phones to ever be 'pure' google are the nexus line. the cheaper phones you mention simply don't have 3rd party interfaces but have been plenty messed with by carriers and manufacturers...

On that note, the nexus phones are the development phones, which means that when a new version of ICS comes out, it COMES OUT on the GN becuase it
should
come directly from google. It will be the first phone to get every major OS update until the next nexus/major OS, in the same way that the Nexus One was the first to get gingerbread.

What's the problem you have with IOS Pctx?

Droid RAZR: Terrible screen. Not sure if it's pentile but the screen has a screen door effect. Text on web pages not readable without zooming. Scrolling and zoom in and zoom out on webpages still stutters even with dual core processor. Not impressively thin, didn't feel much thinner than my Droid X.

While I did find the phone impressively thin I too thought the screen sucked big time. Screen door was very prevalent and I can't believe anyone would claim it has a great screen.

The Rezound on the other hand..that is an impressive display.

Pein

Banned
So ATT is going to give my sister another phone since her inspire 4G is falling apart, she's totally against the vivid since she really dislikes htc now. So I'd assume the only choices are the galaxy S2 twins and the atrix 2?

celebi23

celebi23 said:
Looks like there's an easter egg in Ice Cream Sandwich:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mswLKWrznC0

Currently downloading the ICS source to find a better quality version of the easter egg video

So, think I found all the files relating to the easter egg. In the source, it's referred to
Nyandroid
. Looks like it's not a video, but animated on the fly.

http://www.mediafire.com/?g0vjgh2iykekgut

I'm currently building the source into a working emulator image. Will try and capture the easter egg.

Zapages

Pein said:
So ATT is going to give my sister another phone since her inspire 4G is falling apart, she's totally against the vivid since she really dislikes htc now. So I'd assume the only choices are the galaxy S2 twins and the atrix 2?

Go with the galaxy s2 for sure.

panda21

i just can't make up my mind on which rom to use on my gs2 :S

MIUI is cool but the official version died out of nowhere and then refused to boot for me

galnetMIUI at least doesn't die randomly, but apps feel a bit buggy (catch notes force closes, horizontal scrolling causes issues and force closes)

cyanogen 7.1 is more stable, but has ugly visual stuff (eg. buttons on the notification pull down are super ugly, lock screen clock font is horrid)

plus all these roms (i think because they are all based on cm7.1) have this weird bug in pulse news where it draws white lines over the pictures

i just want a good android based rom :(

Angst

panda21 said:

MIUI is cool but the official version died out of nowhere and then refused to boot for me

galnetMIUI at least doesn't die randomly, but apps feel a bit buggy (catch notes force closes, horizontal scrolling causes issues and force closes)

cyanogen 7.1 is more stable, but has ugly visual stuff (eg. buttons on the notification pull down are super ugly, lock screen clock font is horrid)

plus all these roms (i think because they are all based on cm7.1) have this weird bug in pulse news where it draws white lines over the pictures

CM 7.2 Nightly is the way to go. Use Go Launcer EX with ICS theme and things will look pretty good.

beje

Banned
Q8D3vil said:
so anyone recommend sony xperia mini pro ?
i want a cheap phone so give me your recommendation.

I just got it last week (I guess you mean the 2011 version) and it's a really good piece of hardware: high end chipset (1GHz, Adreno 205 GPU, 512MB RAM) in a really compact format, which is usually reserved for mid or low tier phones. The screen has a good resolution for its size (3", 480x320 HVGA) and great image quality. The only bad points are the battery (just 1160mAh) that barely holds for a day though it might be because mine is still very new and haven't still started working at its best, and the camera which is mediocre but more than enough if you don't plan on using it as your main camera.

Also, the stock ROM is great as everything works as intended, you don't really feel like you MUST install Cyanogen ASAP because something is half-assed or plain broken like it happens with some HTC and Samsung phones. Not a single Force Close nor random reboots or crashes since Thursday night.

Besides, SE confirmed it's one of their phones to be officially upgraded to ICS.

Edit: for a size check:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32641032&postcount=788

Take into account I have girl-sized hands.

antispin

panda21 said:

Why not stick with stock? I did the ROM grind with SGS but I am happy with stock on the SGS2 (unless you insist on having the latest point release). There are might be some features that a ROM exposes, but IMO stability > that odd feature or two.

Husker86

thespot84 said:
I think we should clarify, what do you mean by stock? Just because a phone does not have a 3rd party interface (sense/blur/wiz) doesn't mean it's a 'google experience' phone. My OG is a case in point: it doesn't have moto blur but moto definitely had their filthy hands all up in there. There were plenty of things that moto disabled (like tether) at the behest of the carriers. The only phones to ever be 'pure' google are the nexus line. the cheaper phones you mention simply don't have 3rd party interfaces but have been plenty messed with by carriers and manufacturers...

On that note, the nexus phones are the development phones, which means that when a new version of ICS comes out, it COMES OUT on the GN becuase it
should
come directly from google. It will be the first phone to get every major OS update until the next nexus/major OS, in the same way that the Nexus One was the first to get gingerbread.
Mainly what I was trying to say is people who complain about phones coming skinned which will "slow down updates" have one other option; The Nexus. That's it.

panda21

JonnyBrad said:

i was watching them do that on IRC last night :) amazing that they got it to display graphics already. i wonder how much of the rest of it is working beyond the UI.

antispin said:
Why not stick with stock? I did the ROM grind with SGS but I am happy with stock on the SGS2 (unless you insist on having the latest point release). There are might be some features that a ROM exposes, but IMO stability > that odd feature or two.

I totally felt like that too, until the stock rom broke itself when i did an official ota update.. I figured since I was going to either have to send it back or flash it with something, I might as well try a few other roms. I just didn't get as far as putting the stock rom back on it yet, and unless Samsung release ICS real soon..

pr0cs

crazy monkey said:
from the guy with

Rdz7T.jpg

It's not obvious if he's trolling or it's tongue in cheek. What is more impressive is that they're that far along in getting ICS on a SGS2 when the source has been out less than 24 hours and on a device that has SHIT software support.

thespot84

Husker86 said:
Mainly what I was trying to say is people who complain about phones coming skinned which will "slow down updates" have one other option; The Nexus. That's it.

Ok I'll buy that. It's party of the reason I'm getting the nexus and not a bionic or something.

jayb

The Faceless Master said:
Looks like Samsung's 'Release the Gingerbreads' campaign continues to run wild across America! Gingerbread is now rolling out for the T-Mobile Galaxy S 4G!

link? any news on the Vibrant?

panda21

JonnyBrad said:
If anyone wants to see GS2 ICS deving in action check out http://02.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=#ICSPortS2-dev&server=irc.mibbit.net

They've now got the UI + hardware acceleration working. At one point all the big devs were in there adding things. (Chainfire etc)

yeah that was pretty cool earlier. i was watching it when they got the hardware acceleration working.

vid of it working:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwWw0Ec3whE

(needs weird input because the touchscreen drivers aren't working properly)

NH Apache

Banned
jayb said:
Oh Strange. The second apps site on my phone takes me to a completely different link on neogaf, talking about motorstorm.
Its not just you.

My roommate just went to go pick up a razr. I'm eligible too but 300 bucks for any of the too three: razr, rezound, or nexus. Shit man, I don't remember paying that much for my x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom