• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't Bejeweled 2 a relatively old and not updated port until recently?

I remember earlier this year after a sale or something, there were a bunch of complaint that it didn't work on a ton of devices...

jokkir

zoku88 said:
"rooting" is just something from Unix.

It means getting root permission (as in, the root user. The user that can do everything.)

In Unix, users don't have admin privileges by default.

You can update, but you'll lose root when you do until someone comes out with a rooted ROM (or you could reroot after updating).

Husker86 said:
I think the term "root-access" is more fitting. All you are getting is access to root privileges. As this is a software thing, updating will remove that access; depending on the method of obtaining root access, updating to official software via the normal OTA may be possible.

Ahhh! I see. I might just do it then.

What's a good app for non-roots to backup all their data on a phone? And what gets deleted after you reset to factory setttings?

The Faceless Master said:
Wasn't Bejeweled 2 a relatively old and not updated port until recently?

I remember earlier this year after a sale or something, there were a bunch of complaint that it didn't work on a ton of devices...

No clue. It's the free amazon app of the day though. I don't even like bejeweled, but it's free. And I can't have it. Fuck that.

TeegsD

I finally got Gingerbread :D Since I'm so LTTP, is there anything cool that was added in with Gingerbread that I should check out? I'm definitely like the changed drop bar. Looks really nice

jayb

Pctx said:
Came in to post this. Anyone know how to bypass Amazon's stupid restricted app download?
At the very least you could "buy" the app through the browser, so you'll have it available on your account to download later if they release a compatibility update.

3phemeral

Today's Free Amazon App:

Enhanced Email [normally $9.99]

Product Features
  • Access all your e-mail accounts from a single app--Exchange, POP, and IMAP
  • Integrate your native contacts and calendar information
  • Customize your inbox with tons of options for folders, attachments, and text
  • Aggregate multiple inboxes, place unread e-mail widget, move messages around, and more
  • Whip all your errant e-mail accounts into shape in one convenient location

Product Description

You go through a ton of e-mail every day. You need an e-mail client that can handle your needs, and an app that can bring it all together and make your life easier. Grab the Enhanced Email app, and get your inbox under control.

Make your E-mail Work for You
Enhanced Email is a fully featured, lightweight e-mail client, offering support for multiple Exchange/POP/IMAP accounts in a single app. No more switching between programs--get all your e-mail accounts in one place. Plus, the Enhanced Email app integrates with your existing native contacts and calendar apps.

This e-mail app will replace all others on your Android-powered device. Enhanced Email supports: Exchange 2000/2003/2007/2010 SP1/2012, Zimbra Collaboration Server, and just about every POP/IMAP server. Key features include: Combined inbox view aggregates mail for all mailboxes into a single location, international Yahoo Plus! provider support, auto-BCC support, and HTML inbound/outbound support for POP/IMAP accounts only.

Features:
•Unread e-mail widget

•SD card saving

•Volume controls change font size

•Lots of customizable account options and colors

•Shortcut keys

•Ability to select/copy text

•App2sd support

Exchange-Exclusive Features:
•Push for Mail/Contacts/Calendar

•Sync all e-mail option

•Allow client certificate selection

•Move single and multiple messages

•Toggle sync for individual folders/sub-folders

•Select-All menu option in mailbox

•Hide/unhide folders from view

Note: This app does not currently support Exchange servers with the Device Encryption security policy. A fix for this is in progress.

Pctx

Banned
3pheMeraLmiX said:
Today's Free Amazon App:

Enhanced Email [normally $9.99]

Product Features
  • Access all your e-mail accounts from a single app--Exchange, POP, and IMAP
  • Integrate your native contacts and calendar information
  • Customize your inbox with tons of options for folders, attachments, and text
  • Aggregate multiple inboxes, place unread e-mail widget, move messages around, and more
  • Whip all your errant e-mail accounts into shape in one convenient location

Product Description

You go through a ton of e-mail every day. You need an e-mail client that can handle your needs, and an app that can bring it all together and make your life easier. Grab the Enhanced Email app, and get your inbox under control.

Make your E-mail Work for You
Enhanced Email is a fully featured, lightweight e-mail client, offering support for multiple Exchange/POP/IMAP accounts in a single app. No more switching between programs--get all your e-mail accounts in one place. Plus, the Enhanced Email app integrates with your existing native contacts and calendar apps.

This e-mail app will replace all others on your Android-powered device. Enhanced Email supports: Exchange 2000/2003/2007/2010 SP1/2012, Zimbra Collaboration Server, and just about every POP/IMAP server. Key features include: Combined inbox view aggregates mail for all mailboxes into a single location, international Yahoo Plus! provider support, auto-BCC support, and HTML inbound/outbound support for POP/IMAP accounts only.

Features:
•Unread e-mail widget

•SD card saving

•Volume controls change font size

•Lots of customizable account options and colors

•Shortcut keys

•Ability to select/copy text

•App2sd support

Exchange-Exclusive Features:
•Push for Mail/Contacts/Calendar

•Sync all e-mail option

•Allow client certificate selection

•Move single and multiple messages

•Toggle sync for individual folders/sub-folders

•Select-All menu option in mailbox

•Hide/unhide folders from view

Note: This app does not currently support Exchange servers with the Device Encryption security policy. A fix for this is in progress.

Per Amazon comments:
This is a shameless rip-off of the FREE open-source app K-9 mail. The only change this criminal has made is change the icon and rename the app. After those five minutes of work, he/she passed off the hard work of others as his/her own and started charging people money. Since K-9 in turn is based on the original email app developed by Google, let's hope they come after Quantum Solutions for violation of the GPL.

I'll pass.

Also:
jayb said:
At the very least you could "buy" the app through the browser, so you'll have it available on your account to download later if they release a compatibility update.

Yes, I did just that. Doesn't show up under downloads for my TF101 but whatever. Its registered for my account when I get my phone.

Pctx said:
Per Amazon comments:

I'll pass.
well, they're Amazon comments. worst commenters ever when it comes to apps. they definitely don't look alike and a quick Google search had results of some people comparing the two and contrasting their features.

Also:

Yes, I did just that. Doesn't show up under downloads for my TF101 but whatever. Its registered for my account when I get my phone.
i know my friend couldn't get it to work at all on his Transformer, even after transferring the APK from his phone, but that was last spring... it had issues back then with his phone as well... but it did run... that's why i looked it up back then... lots of people had issues.

jayb

I still don't see the Music section in my Android Market app yet. I'm on the latest 3.3.11 version, in the US, and on T-mobile. I would have thought it would have shown up by now. WTF.

rozay

Banned
Anyone else notice Tiny Tower is now in the market? Hesitant to install it as it reads contact data and GPS data...

MNC

So, (Euro)GAF. Looking for a new phone since my HTC Touch Diamond 2 is kind of dead.

I don't really have any specifications other than the really generic: Pretty fast processor (1Ghz), relatively big screen size (minimal size is HTC Desire's size) and the rest is pretty much looking at a provider subscription. Plus general lifetime needs to be reasonable. Dunno if I'm gonna get a year dataplan or two years.

Battery life is absolutely important to me, is what I learned after my TD2 battery slowly died.

Like I said, it's probably specifications EVERYONE wants :p

Things I had in mind:

HTC Desire Z
I love the hardware keyboard for games and the likes, but in the end it's only a 800 Mhz processor plus I dunno if the hardware buttons actually work in every game or that they need to be compatible with it.

HTC Sensation
Seems like a pretty logical step up, but it also seems like standard HTC fare. And I dunno how it faces competition in terms of speed.

And furthermost, I'm completely unknowing on Motorola, LG and Sony Ericsson. Apparently the LG's aren't all that and I'm not interested in a SE Xperia Play.

I know my way around Android, but I still have a question; I'm not really fond of most layers that go over Android, ie Samsung or LG. If I just put LauncherPro on it, does it eliminate the layout or do I need to do a complete rom haul?

As for Dutch gaffers, what is the cheapest dataplan with a reasonable amount of internet? (Think 500MB) I was looking at tmobile's smart plus plan but apparently tmobile isn't all that. Am on vodafone at the moment.

So that's that! Help me to a phone and answer my questions GAF. :p

Jeels said:
So now that the source code for ICS has gone up, how much longer until they release an update for the Nexus S?
only info we have on nexus s was that they are working to get it released for it in the coming weeks. That was a week or 2 ago.

Jeels

-Pyromaniac- said:
only info we have on nexus s was that they are working to get it released for it in the coming weeks. That was a week or 2 ago.

Hopefully that's soon then. I don't want to bother customizing and what not until I go ahead and upgrade the software. Been anticipating this for awhile.

SimleuqiR

I guess the only way to reform the US Wireless industry is to move to Europe?

Verizon, Sprint Using CarrierIQ Rootkits On Devices
Capable of Tracking Everything, Difficult to Detect and Remove

Techdirt directs our attention to a bit of new analysis by security researcher Trevor Eckhart on Carrier IQ, software embedded in devices by both Sprint and Verizon designed to use "the device to measure key parameters of service quality and usage." According to analysis by Eckhart, the technology essentially acts as a rootkit that's capable of tracking everything a user does, every call they make, and every location they travel. It's also impossible to difficult for the normal end user to remove, even if they were able to actually detect its presence:

Galaxy Nexus infected by Verizon?

Futureman

So I downloaded the ICS Music .apk when it was posted on here a month or so ago.

I tried to update to the latest version last night, and it says the app "isn't signed."

Do I probably just have to delete the beta ICS Music app I have on my phone now, and it should then let me download the new Music?

SimleuqiR

Futureman said:
So I downloaded the ICS Music .apk when it was posted on here a month or so ago.

I tried to update to the latest version last night, and it says the app "isn't signed."

Do I probably just have to delete the ICS Music I have on my phone now, and it should then let me download the new Music?

Un-install and download from the market.

Futureman

ok. My battery died but I'll try that after work.

and I have an old version of the Market on my phone. I use a Droid X with a custom ROM that isn't updated anymore, so I guess taht's why I still have the old market.

It's this one:

market-home.png

is there any surefire way to get the new Market, or do I probably have to get on a newer ROM?

3phemeral

Futureman said:

Do I probably just have to delete the beta ICS Music app I have on my phone now, and it should then let me download the new Music?
You have to delete it and install the new one.

I've given up on these leaked apks because I end up removing them almost immediately anyway with how frequently my apps have been upating lately.

3phemeral

Futureman said:
ok. My battery died but I'll try that after work.

and I have an old version of the Market on my phone. I use a Droid X with a custom ROM that isn't updated anymore, so I guess taht's why I still have the old market.

It's this one:

market-home.png

is there any surefire way to get the new Market, or do I probably have to get on a newer ROM?
Not sure. I might be remembering incorrectly, but when I was using Fission, I could have sworn market would still update on it's own. The only time I had an issue was when I used customized market apks that had different skins.

Futureman

you on a Droid X? What are you using now?

I'm pretty sure to get even THAT market I posted a picture for, I had to get a .apk, it didn't just update for me.

Futureman said:
you on a Droid X? What are you using now?

I'm pretty sure to get even THAT market I posted a picture for, I had to get a .apk, it didn't just update for me.
You should be able to find a more recent market apk by some random Googling for it, or ind it on various android news sites like Droid-life or something. It's really odd that your market didn't update automatically.

That and, frankly, I would go with a newer, better ROM to begin with.

Futureman

hikarutilmitt said:
That and, frankly, I would go with a newer, better ROM to begin with.

You know how touchscreens will freakout sometimes and press random things? That's pretty much the only issue I've ever really had with this ROM, and I've always figured that's a physical issue with the touchscreen. So I've stayed on this ROM as I never have any random rebooting, my battery always last all day, GPS always works fine, etc.

I've been tempted to go with Cyanogen Mod, but it seems like it's not totally stable on a Droid X so I've stayed clear.

Futureman said:
You know how touchscreens will freakout sometimes and press random things? That's pretty much the only issue I've ever really had with this ROM, and I've always figured that's a physical issue with the touchscreen. So I've stayed on this ROM as I never have any random rebooting, my battery always last all day, GPS always works fine, etc.

I've been tempted to go with Cyanogen Mod, but it seems like it's not totally stable on a Droid X so I've stayed clear.

I've been running CM7 on my Droid X since it was first released. In fact, the CM4DX GB nightlies are super stable and fast.

Crazyorloco

jayb said:
I still don't see the Music section in my Android Market app yet. I'm on the latest 3.3.11 version, in the US, and on T-mobile. I would have thought it would have shown up by now. WTF.
I have the same market (tmobile too) I don't see a music section up yet either.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Anyone else having issues with G Music? It's making songs appear on my phone twice, and others not at all, but they all look fine on the site. :/

Husker86

DMeisterJ said:
Anyone else having issues with G Music? It's making songs appear on my phone twice, and others not at all, but they all look fine on the site. :/

Not sure about the others not appearing, but I'd get duplicate songs since I had them on my SD card as well.

3phemeral

hikarutilmitt said:
I've been running CM7 on my Droid X since it was first released. In fact, the CM4DX GB nightlies are super stable and fast.
I have a D2 and I've been hesitant to go the CM7 nightly. What's your opinion on it versus Fission and stock? Last I checked, CM7 didn't have camera working and had wifi/bluetooth issues.

I'm currently running rooted stock Gingerbread and while it's mostly fine, I get occasional keyboard stutters and reboots when I connect with my car dock/desk dock. It also either auto-drops my phone calls when I connect the car stereo headphone jack or plays music simultaneously during a phone call. I never had that happen with Froyo or Fission.

Circle T

For those who have the newest Market, but don't yet have the update for Music, just go in and update your "Content Filtering" in Settings....

Settings --> Content Filtering --> Check all boxes --> Click OK

It will go back to the main page, refresh itself, ask you to accept the T&C, and then voilà, you'll have the updated market.

3pheMeraLmiX said:
I have a D2 and I've been hesitant to go the CM7 nightly. What's your opinion on it versus Fission and stock? Last I checked, CM7 didn't have camera working and had wifi/bluetooth issues.

I'm currently running rooted stock Gingerbread and while it's mostly fine, I get occasional keyboard stutters and reboots when I connect with my car dock/desk dock. It also either auto-drops my phone calls when I connect the car stereo headphone jack or plays music simultaneously during a phone call. I never had that happen with Froyo or Fission.
I can't speak too much for the D2, but since it and the DX share similar CM7 bases, it should be a good experience. The no camera and camera FC issues that were there have long since been fixed. I never used Fission, but before CM7 I had run stock Froyo, stock GB and Liberty in both flavors. I much prefer CM7.

Anyone know if there are any decent android phones with sliders / qwerty keyboards? Missus is after a new phone and I can't seem to find any other than the 1 year old Desire Z.

If not, what's generally considered to be the best standard Android phone at the mo? Galaxy Nexus? Galaxy SII?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
so yeah...remember that firefox build I was using 2 weeks ago? The latest build has flash in it now. So :p

Circle T

Psychotext said:
Anyone know if there are any decent android phones with sliders / qwerty keyboards? Missus is after a new phone and I can't seem to find any other than the 1 year old Desire Z.

If not, what's generally considered to be the best standard Android phone at the mo? Galaxy Nexus? Galaxy SII?
I played with the Samsung Captivate Glide earlier this week. It comes out this Sunday at AT&T. I'm not really one for a physical keyboard, but it felt quite nice. Kind of thick compared to other super-slim phones these days, but with a keyboard that is to be expected. The phone is nothing super high-end, but still has Gingerbread (2.3.5) and a Tegra 2 so it's a very nice average phone. I think it is only going to be $99 on contract when it comes out, so not bad.

Sadly, your options for physical keyboard phones are dwindling quickly these days.

Circle T said:
I played with the Samsung Captivate Glide earlier this week. It comes out this Sunday at AT&T. I'm not really one for a physical keyboard, but it felt quite nice. Kind of thick compared to other super-slim phones these days, but with a keyboard that is to be expected. The phone is nothing super high-end, but still has Gingerbread (2.3.5) and a Tegra 2 so it's a very nice average phone. I think it is only going to be $99 on contract when it comes out, so not bad.

Sadly, your options for physical keyboard phones are dwindling quickly these days.
Thanks, I'll have a look.

Though it's probably about time she learned to live with a virtual keyboard. :)

FireCloud

equap said:
is there an app that switches to different profile depend on time of day?
Not sure what you mean by profile but I use an app called Llama to automate changing settings based on time of day, location, etc.

It is a pretty powerful little app. I have it configured to silence my phone after 10pm and turns the sound back on at 7am. I also have it configured to enable blutooth and gps when in the car dock and to disable them when I undock as well as enabling wifi when I'm at home.

Fatalah

As much as I want to like Firefox on Android, it never performs well for me. Opera Mobile just crushes it. (Touchpad w/ CM7)

3phemeral

hikarutilmitt said:
I can't speak too much for the D2, but since it and the DX share similar CM7 bases, it should be a good experience. The no camera and camera FC issues that were there have long since been fixed. I never used Fission, but before CM7 I had run stock Froyo, stock GB and Liberty in both flavors. I much prefer CM7.
Ah, thanks for that. I will probably try it out later tonight or tomorrow then. here goes nothing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom