• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCX

Is there a method to transfer game saves between devices? I know the number of people who own both an android phone and tablet is small, but I'd like to smoothly switch between he two.

JonnyBrad

JCX said:
Is there a method to transfer game saves between devices? I know the number of people who own both an android phone and tablet is small, but I'd like to smoothly switch between he two.

Titanium backup. You can save data from and app then load it up load new device.

JonnyBrad

Quick q about custom launchers. Will they have to be updated to work on ics? Stuff like folders and the fact there isno long press to add Widgets any more.

I use launcher pro but it doesn't seem to get updated any more.

Anybody bought the Samsung NOTE? I want to know about the battery life and would it be getting an Ice cream sandwich upgrade in the future?

I have to buy a new mobile by mid-december, and right now I can't make up my mind. Torn between Samsung Note, Nexus Prime and HTC Sensation XL/XE. :?

3phemeral

Amazon's Free App:
promo._V181682562_.jpg

text._V162649054_.png

beje

Banned
Psychotext said:
Thanks, I'll have a look.

Though it's probably about time she learned to live with a virtual keyboard. :)

If you're looking for something with a QWERTY keyboard you can take a look at...

- Xperia Pro and Xperia Mini Pro (I have the Mini Pro, such an awesome piece of hardware) both have slider keyboards. For the Mini Pro, make sure it's the newer 2011 model with a 3" screen. Last year model is crap.
- Samsung Galaxy Pro models, I think there are like two or three of them. All are mid-tier phones and they're BB-like

Pctx

Banned
panda21 said:
the progress with ICS on GS2 is amazing. and it looks so good. they have hw acceleration, and touch screen working, basically just needs calls/sms and it will be usable. i'm almost tempted to flash the alpha just to play with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tch9b4a7pt4
I'm really interested to see if the GS2 runs as good or better than the Nexus. If it does, makes the GS2 a value play if people can wait for ICS.

jayb

panda21 said:
the progress with ICS on GS2 is amazing. and it looks so good. they have hw acceleration, and touch screen working, basically just needs calls/sms and it will be usable. i'm almost tempted to flash the alpha just to play with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tch9b4a7pt4
Why is that showing the software buttons? I thought it wasn't supposed to if the phone has hardware buttons.

panda21

jayb said:
Why is that showing the software buttons? I thought it wasn't supposed to if the phone has hardware buttons.

i think they either just didn't figure out how to turn them off yet, or they need to keep them because they don't have the hardware buttons working right. seems like its something the vendor has to do themselves rather than something ICS just does, which makes sense.

pretty sure they said they will get rid of them for the final version, its just easier to leave them in for now.

panda21

does anyone know where CWM lives? like is it independent of whatever ROM you have installed, or does it get rewritten every time you flash via CWM (e.g installing cyanogen and stuff)? so if you flash something bad you also lose CWM? or is that part separate?

I guess you could always put it back with odin/heimdall even if it goes wrong?

beje

Banned
panda21 said:
does anyone know where CWM lives? like is it independent of whatever ROM you have installed, or does it get rewritten every time you flash via CWM (e.g installing cyanogen and stuff)? so if you flash something bad you also lose CWM? or is that part separate?

I guess you could always put it back with odin/heimdall even if it goes wrong?

I think it's separate and AFAIK it resides in the boot partition of the phone. I've screwed flashing a lot of times my old Samsung Spica, and CWM was always there to help me recover the thing even if the /data and /system partitions were completely corrupted. Unless you screw it REALLY HARD and completely brick your phone (which in my case the only way would be using big-sized boot logos that would overwrite the boot partition, don't know about other phones), the Download mode for ODIN will always come to the rescue to flash a stock ROM and start over.

panda21

beje said:
I think it's separate and AFAIK it resides in the boot partition of the phone. I've screwed flashing a lot of times my old Samsung Spica, and CWM was always there to help me recover the thing even if the /data and /system partitions were completely corrupted. Unless you screw it REALLY HARD and completely brick your phone (which in my case the only way would be using big-sized boot logos that would overwrite the boot partition, don't know about other phones), the Download mode for ODIN will always come to the rescue to flash a stock ROM and start over.

oh ok, thats good. i thought it was that way but then my CWM magically updated itself the first time i installed cyanogen, so i thought maybe it was part of what gets flashed by cyanogen.

in other news it sounds like the SGS2 guys have phone stuff working in ICS. at this rate I might be putting it on my phone before the end of the day!

Circle T

panda21 said:
oh ok, thats good. i thought it was that way but then my CWM magically updated itself the first time i installed cyanogen, so i thought maybe it was part of what gets flashed by cyanogen.

in other news it sounds like the SGS2 guys have phone stuff working in ICS. at this rate I might be putting it on my phone before the end of the day!
I believe your recovery, be it stock or CWM, is part of the kernel. When you flash CM7, it loads in a specific kernel to go along with the ROM, and brings with it an updated CWM.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Tested ICS on my Desire GSM (Bravo).

Can't wait for a proper working version.

Only problem now is i gparted my SD, S-Off'd my phone (Fuck knows how i'd rooted it and not done this before). Installed the latest Oxygen ROM, aaand now i can't install from the market...

"App Name" Could not be downloaded due to an error. Doesn't matter if it's one i paid for or not I can't bloody download apps :|

EDIT: On Market.google.com it also seems to think I have apps installed that are no longer installed on my phone, meaning it won't let me download them.

EDIT 2: Well after a whole bunch of resets, wipes, etc. I finally have my market working again, back to my old phone except now with more storage space (thank you gparted). Gonna go for a new customization.

Random question.. but what do you all think of the latest two Android Market revisions? Does it address a lot of the previous concerns in older market versions?

I like the new market a lot.

JonnyBrad

Pctx said:
Per Amazon comments:

I'll pass.

Also:

Yes, I did just that. Doesn't show up under downloads for my TF101 but whatever. Its registered for my account when I get my phone.

I just saw this. Enhanced mail is NOTHING like k9mail.

K9 is ground up built where as enhanced is based on the open source android mail client. (forked ages ago) that comment is actually just flat out wrong.

Enhanced mail also has exhange which k9 doesn't

The mail client that looks like k9 mail is Kaiten. Which is because its a forked version of k9 which is made by the lead dev of k9 to make some money.

Don't every trust stupid amazing comments.

Pein

Banned
I bought a galaxy S2 skyrocket and goddamn I'm impressed, the screen is gorgeous and its so fast. Completely smokes my atrix, would like to have gotten a nexus but oh well I'm satisfied with the S2.

Does the speed and quality of these ports say anything about the chances and timeframe in which the official releases of ICS will arrive to phones like the SGS1? I want it so bad =/

panda21

Zombie James said:
What's this I hear about ICS not having USB Mass Storage support? :/

from what i read its just that the galaxy nexus has no SD card storage, so when you plug it in via USB it only lets you do lame MTP stuff since it can't let you access the internal memory.

other phones with sdcards should mount fine over USB on ICS

Blackhead

Redarse
panda21 said:
from what i read its just that the galaxy nexus has no SD card storage, so when you plug it in via USB it only lets you do lame MTP stuff since it can't let you access the internal memory.

Could you explain that again in simpler terms? I can't understand what you wrote.

rozay

Banned
panda21 said:

WHAT

So wait...was this an issue with the Nexus S as well? I never heard anyone mention that.

gcubed

Greyface said:
Could you explain that again in simpler terms? I can't understand what you wrote.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/1...behind-galaxy-nexus-lack-of-usb-mass-storage/

ICS supports USB Mass Storage (UMS). The Galaxy Nexus does not. This is the same scenario as Honeycomb, as for instance HC supports USB Mass Storage while Xoom does not.
If a given device has a removable SD card it will support USB Mass Storage. If it has only built-in storage (like Xoom and Galaxy Nexus) it will (usually) support only MTP and PTP.
It isn't physically possible to support UMS on devices that don't have a dedicated partition for storage (like a removable SD card, or a separate partition like Nexus S.) This is because UMS is a block-level protocol that gives the host PC direct access to the physical blocks on the storage, so that Android cannot have it mounted at the same time.
With the unified storage model we introduced in Honeycomb, we share your full 32GB (or 16GB or whatever) between app data and media data. That is, no more staring sadly at your 5GB free on Nexus S when your internal app data partition has filled up -- it's all one big happy volume.
However the cost is that Android can no longer ever yield up the storage for the host PC to molest directly over USB. Instead we use MTP. On Windows (which the majority of users use), it has built-in MTP support in Explorer that makes it look exactly like a disk. On Linux and Mac it's sadly not as easy, but I have confidence that we'll see some work to make this better.
On the whole it's a much better experience on the phone.

gcubed

other good news that droid-life found in the new developers agreement

3.4 Special Refund Requirements. The Payment Processor’s standard terms and conditions regarding refunds will apply except the following terms apply to your distribution of Products on the Market.

Products that can be previewed by the buyer (such as ringtones and wallpapers): No refund is required or allowed.

Products that cannot be previewed by the buyer (such as applications): You authorize Google to give the buyer a full refund of the Product price if the buyer requests the refund within 48 hours after purchase.

gcubed

Zombie James said:
Pretty sure that's always been the case.

nope, it was brought down to 15 minutes quite a while ago

edit, looked around, yup, it appears they never changed the actual agreement even though they changed the time

Kagami

DeathJr said:
Anybody bought the Samsung NOTE? I want to know about the battery life and would it be getting an Ice cream sandwich upgrade in the future?
In this thread I know we've got DrFunk, Greyface, and me.
I've been using it for about two weeks and the battery seems to be pretty ordinary.
I don't have much basis for comparison (only owned one other smartphone, an LG Thrive, a.k.a. LG Optimus One) but battery life doesn't seem especially short or long on the Note.

GSMarena's tests are interesting:
http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-galaxy-note-battery-life-test-over-matches-the-nokia-n9/
I guess the difference between web browsing and videos is white backgrounds vs. lots of black.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
When I plugged my Desire into the computer earlier it charged and gave no options for storage device, thank god i put the newest Oxygen mod rom on there beforehand or i'd have been fucked.
EDIT: Should have said this was on an early ICS build.

Husker86

In regards to MTP vs USB Mass Storage...MTP is so much better (besides the Mac support). Hate having to cut my phone's access to storage off if I want to transfer something from my PC.

Updated my SGS to 2.3.5 (JVT Firmware) last night through Kies, phone operations seem better and the browser is a lot snappier. God bless Samsung and their continued support of the Galaxy S (and the fact I've got an unlocked version, I won't be returning to carrier locked devices after this)

Still need a new phone mind, but I'm thinking that my trusty old SGS may last me until SAMOLED HD becomes more widespread... or I see a GN in person and give in.

panda21

so thanks to some awesome infighting between devs, cyanogen have decided to closed source the samsung specific parts of their SGS2 ICS work!

seems like the other build that is almost done has hit a brick wall since audio won't work without new code, that cyanogen has written but won't let anyone else have.

go open source!

so thanks to some awesome infighting between devs, cyanogen have decided to closed source the samsung specific parts of their SGS2 ICS work!

seems like the other build that is almost done has hit a brick wall since audio won't work without new code, that cyanogen has written but won't let anyone else have.

go open source!

peeps always tryin' to leech off the CM team...

panda21

peeps always tryin' to leech off the CM team...

these guys were just trying to get a working ICS released as soon as possible, by adding stuff to the CM work. I wouldnt call that leeching, especially if they are going to credit them for it.

CM just want to stop anyone else releasing a working build before them, which given that they take forever to release anything, and they are supposed to be an open source project, is kind of childish and annoying.

the build that was shown in the youtube videos would be working by now if the CM team would let them use their stuff... but i would be amazed if we see a CM release for weeks..

superfly

After being an iPhone user for 3 years, I'm now considering a move to Android this week.

I think it's gonna be a Galaxy S2 for me, or should I consider other options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom