• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

panda21

hmm seems like the cyanogen crysis is over already lol. it was because cyanogen don't want MIUI stealing their stuff and not crediting it.

kind of hard to see where MIUI is even going to go with ICS though, since default ICS launcher will be better than MIUI.

hmm seems like the cyanogen crysis is over already lol. it was because cyanogen don't want MIUI stealing their stuff and not crediting it.

kind of hard to see where MIUI is even going to go with ICS though, since default ICS launcher will be better than MIUI.
problem resolved already? nice!

Quixzlizx

The Amazon Appstore is trying to update on my Transformer, but it seems to need a whole lot of permissions. Is there anything shady going on there?

Fatalah

Posted yet?

Oh, You Don’t Have A Galaxy Nexus Yet? Because Woz Does.

woz_and_us_2.jpg

Woz was invited by Google after he tweeted about his unsuccessful search for the phone:

woz-tweet.png

Yet another reason why Wozniak is my favorite tech legend. His love of technology is unwavering, even while his late business partner and friend Steve Jobs vowed to destroy Android until his last dying breath.

Woz is just plain awesome.

Cipherr

Google granted a new lockscreen patent

Google has been granted a new patent pertaining to lockscreens which relates to pattern unlocks, and possibly using those patterns as gestures to initiate custom commands. Regardless of whether something like this deserves to be patentable, it looks like a cool new feature that we expect to see in Android soon enough.

The basic idea is to allow users to create custom patterns. One will be used for a normal unlock, but others could be used for a variety of functions including launching specific apps or toggle settings. The interesting part is that the custom pattern unlocks would get you into those specific apps, but wouldn't unlock the phone entirely.

google-patent-20110283241-drawing-001-thumb.gif

This is an important distinction, because obviously, the more patterns someone adds means a higher likelihood that at least one of the gestures could be copied. But, with the limitations, all data outside of the specific app would be safe. It's a cool idea, and definitely one we'd like to see hit phones soon.

Sounds like a fucking neat idea. Probably born from the "Swipe to camera or Swipe to unlock" idea. That sounds awesome especially as phones get more and more stuff added to them. Cameras, Calendars, Books, GPS, etc. A swipe gesture to just launch my browser and hit my homepage would be pretty nice, among other uses for it.

Still don't like the patenting every little fucking thing though. Sad.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Google granted a new lockscreen patent

Sounds like a fucking neat idea. Probably born from the "Swipe to camera or Swipe to unlock" idea. That sounds awesome especially as phones get more and more stuff added to them. Cameras, Calendars, Books, GPS, etc. A swipe gesture to just launch my browser and hit my homepage would be pretty nice, among other uses for it.

Still don't like the patenting every little fucking thing though. Sad.

In this day and age it looks like that's what you have to do sadly. :(

Futureman

Music Beta app on Android used to have a bug on my Droid X where it would repeat the first song you choose until manually hitting "Next Track."

Seems to be gone now with the new Music app release this week.

vulva

Stupid question, got a Nexus S a few weeks ago and I'm new to smartphones. I was just wondering if there's a way I can get it so that when I receive a text and my phone's display is off/locked, for it to display the message or for my phone to light up or something? I usually have headphones on and the vibrate isn't very strong on this, so I don't usually know if I got one unless I actually am actively checking if I received a message.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Stupid question, got a Nexus S a few weeks ago and I'm new to smartphones. I was just wondering if there's a way I can get it so that when I receive a text and my phone's display is off/locked, for it to display the message or for my phone to light up or something? I usually have headphones on and the vibrate isn't very strong on this, so I don't usually know if I got one unless I actually am actively checking if I received a message.

Try the app 'No Led' off the market.

rozay

Banned
Use NoLED from the market or if you decide to venture into custom ROMs, they have the ability to make the softkeys at the bottom light up when the screen is off for notifications.

AndyD

aka andydumi

You can also get a non stock SMS app that can do it. Go SMS allows your screen to light up/unlock so you can read the message, then time back out after a preset amount of time. I think you can set it to as little as 5-10 seconds so you can just see it light up, read it, then it goes back to sleep.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Best twitter widget?

Using LauncherPro at the moment which is fine, but wondering if there is a standalone widget that will do a similar job.
Plume is the best Twitter app and has a few widgets.

Blackhead

Redarse
Is it 'normal' for a 9GB transfer to take over 30 minutes to complete? And for some of the transferred files to be corrupted? The videos work alright if I transfer one or two at a time but more than that and many of the files can't be played. :( Do I have a dud device?

By the way, while the s-pen is superb and the palm detection is decent, the capacitive buttons ruin the experience. I'm constantly pressing the back button by accident. wtf samsung. :/

AndyD

aka andydumi
Is there a good app to mingle facebook/google+/twitter/SMS updates? Like the stream app on Sense? I am using all Go stuff, but I am surprised they dont have one app for all, instead separate apps all requiring separate widgets.

jokkir

Another question about rooting. When rooting, what should I keep a backup of? My friend was telling me he had to back up his system information or something because it wipes everything . Need to know before I start >__<

malyce

After spending a few hours with an AOSP build of ICS on my Nexus S, there's no way i can go back to gingerbread. Can't wait for CM9.

tino

Banned
Another question about rooting. When rooting, what should I keep a backup of? My friend was telling me he had to back up his system information or something because it wipes everything . Need to know before I start >__<

You don't lose anything when rooting. You only lost your setting after you flash a rom.

jokkir

You don't lose anything when rooting. You only lost your setting after you flash a rom.

So all your contacts, phone logs, apps, SMS, all remain but any settings you changed in 'System' reset? This is Nexus S btw.

EDIT - I'm wondering because when looking at the tutorial on the xda forums, it says "selecting YES will wipe EVERYTHING from the SNS, so make sure you have backed up everything you needed to safe before you continue.". And yeah, that's worrying me.

Husker86

So all your contacts, phone logs, apps, SMS, all remain but any settings you changed in 'System' reset? This is Nexus S btw.

EDIT - I'm wondering because when looking at the tutorial on the xda forums, it says "selecting YES will wipe EVERYTHING from the SNS, so make sure you have backed up everything you needed to safe before you continue.". And yeah, that's worrying me.

Everything that isn't backed up in the cloud will be gone if you wipe before flashing, except stuff on the storage partition.

are you planning to flash a pre-rooted rom?

rozay

Banned

Are you trying to use fastboot to unlock the phone? That will wipe everything.

Ashhong

Fuck, I cracked the screen on my HD2 today. It's my birthday soon so I'm thinking of getting a new phone. Any recommendations for a GSM phone that has a lot of developer support for custom roms and can be used on T-mobile? Unlocking, rooting, etc is not a problem. Also would be purchasing it off contract...so price is an issue. Maybe around 200$?

jokkir

Are you trying to use fastboot to unlock the phone? That will wipe everything.

Ah, that would explain it. Are there other methods? Oh, btw, what's allowed to be talked about when rooting? I don't want to be banned >__< Still new to the Android scene.

Husker86

Fuck, I cracked the screen on my HD2 today. It's my birthday soon so I'm thinking of getting a new phone. Any recommendations for a GSM phone that has a lot of developer support for custom roms and can be used on T-mobile? Unlocking, rooting, etc is not a problem. Also would be purchasing it off contract...so price is an issue. Maybe around 200$?

Are Nexus Ones even that cheap?

tino

Banned

The original Galaxy S probably has the best price to performance ratio. You should be able to sell your cracked HD2 btw. Somebody will buy it and put an aftermarket screen on it.

Ashhong

Are Nexus Ones even that cheap?

I have no idea, but I got the HD2 for only 200$ practically brand new used, about a year ago, so if there is no better option I will get another for the same price or less. It's a great phone with Android.

The original Galaxy S probably has the best price to performance ratio. You should be able to sell your cracked HD2 btw. Somebody will buy it and put an aftermarket screen on it.

Is the Galaxy S still pretty well supported? I would want something that would get ICS on it, as I'm sure the HD2 community would do it. Good to know somebody will buy it. I may replace the screen myself but it looks like a pain in the ass to do.

Anno

On this subject, as someone looking to perhaps get into Android, does it make sense to find an unlocked AT&T compatible Nexus S (seems to be $350-$400) and hack in ICS until I can upgrade or just wait to import a Galaxy Nexus? I'd love the extra resolution and features of the GN, but I can't even begin to wonder how much it'll be unlocked. Doesn't seem AT&T will be carrying it anytime soon =/

tino

Banned
I have no idea, but I got the HD2 for only 200$ practically brand new used, about a year ago, so if there is no better option I will get another for the same price or less. It's a great phone with Android.

Is the Galaxy S still pretty well supported? I would want something that would get ICS on it, as I'm sure the HD2 community would do it. Good to know somebody will buy it. I may replace the screen myself but it looks like a pain in the ass to do.

I also have a HD2. I am in the process of trying to activate a EVO 4G on Boost. The EVO is not even a better phone than HD2. The memory is less. The only major weakness of the HD2 is the fragile glass.

The Galaxy s is really in the same class as the HD2. If my HD2 is broken, I would spend the extra money to get at least a used G2X or Sensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom