• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circle T

I'd try it, but the danger of installing an unofficial keyboard scares me. Such an opportunity for foul play!
True. I installed it, and it seemed pretty decent, but I did uninstall it shortly afterwards. I'm just a big fan of SwiftKey, so I'm sticking with that.

Ashhong

I also have a HD2. I am in the process of trying to activate a EVO 4G on Boost. The EVO is not even a better phone than HD2. The memory is less. The only major weakness of the HD2 is the fragile glass.

The Galaxy s is really in the same class as the HD2. If my HD2 is broken, I would spend the extra money to get at least a used G2X or Sensation.

I had no idea the HD2 was known for fragile glass. Kind of pissed =/ But yea, I have found that the HD2 is pretty impressive, specs wise, especially for the price it can be purchased at.

The G2X and Sensation are better? Sensation is such a gigantic phone..might go with the G2X.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I have no idea, but I got the HD2 for only 200$ practically brand new used, about a year ago, so if there is no better option I will get another for the same price or less. It's a great phone with Android.

Is the Galaxy S still pretty well supported? I would want something that would get ICS on it, as I'm sure the HD2 community would do it. Good to know somebody will buy it. I may replace the screen myself but it looks like a pain in the ass to do.

The Galaxy S doesn't even have Gingerbread.

Ashhong

Oh yeah, latest Cyanogen mod is on there but I think they may be dropping official support for it soon.

K that phone is officially out of the race. My options are G2X, attempt to fix the screen on my HD2 for about 30$, or iPhone 4 from a friend for about $200...

3phemeral

Amazon is on a roll with these free apps:

promo._V162582223_.jpg

text._V163002036_.png

Documents To Go Full Version Key ($14.99) Free

Husker86

I'm new to the Amazon android marketplace, but knowing Amazon I have to ask, when purchasing an application through their store, can it be updated through the regular Android marketplace? or is that application forever exclusive to Amazon?

It cannot be updated through the Android Market...gotta do it through Amazon's store (and keep the store installed).

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Hmm. I've had Documents to Go for a while - one of the most invaluable apps I ever bought for my phone. Well worth picking up.

But still, fuck you Amazon.

jokkir

I rooted my phone yesterday and using the ICS AOSP-build for my Nexus S. It's pretty good so far.

Oh, and people who are using it, v2 came out. It fixes USB mounting and others.

Blackhead

Redarse
Galaxy Note owners. Check the SamsungApps for an update to their store. Paid apps, accounts now live in the app (not reflected on their website though). I still can't find the iAnnotate PDF app but the S Choice section has some new free stuff including a PowerOffice Business and Creative Suite (Microsoft office like) and PowerBrowser (cloud hosted Chrome browser) 0_O

ICS keyboard for all Android devices

Not bad. Still in beta.
I downloaded the apk from the mediafire link earlier. Is there any reason to switch? I like the keyboard but don't like this habit of using the input form to take over the screen :/

SimleuqiR

I download the apk from the mediafire link earlier. Is there any reason to switch? I like the keyboard but don't like this habit of using the input form to take over the screen :/

Yeah, I found that to be very annoying. But I'm going to give it trial run this week, see how good it is.

Well, through the Market link you can get updates when they become available.

Futureman

whenever you install the ICS keyboard, it says something about your keystrokes possibly being logged and sent out? Is that just a standard keyboard installation thing, or should I be worried?

I logged into my bank account on my phone today and switched back to Gingerbread KB.

whenever you install the ICS keyboard, it says something about your keystrokes possibly being logged and sent out? Is that just a standard keyboard installation thing, or should I be worried?

I logged into my bank account on my phone today and switched back to Gingerbread KB.

It is a standard message, but I would be leery about any keyboard randomly released.

gcubed

every keyboard does that.

Pctx

Banned
Hmm. I've had Documents to Go for a while - one of the most invaluable apps I ever bought for my phone. Well worth picking up.

But still, fuck you Amazon.

Seriously, the only reason I come to this thread now is to read Iapetus's remarks on free apps!

zedge

Galaxy Note owners. Check the SamsungApps for an update to their store. Paid apps, accounts now live in the app (not reflected on their website though). I still can't find the iAnnotate PDF app but the S Choice section has some new free stuff including a PowerOffice Business and Creative Suite (Microsoft office like) and PowerBrowser (cloud hosted Chrome browser) 0_O

I downloaded the apk from the mediafire link earlier. Is there any reason to switch? I like the keyboard but don't like this habit of using the input form to take over the screen :/
I have the media fire one installed too. When I went to market link it said 'update' not install... must be same one? The version from media fire was missing the speech button too.

JonnyBrad

Birbo

Just got a new Galaxy S2 and looking for a good music player. Free is good, but I'd pay for a nice app. The stock one seems serviceable, but I'm used to my iPod Touch, just pressing all songs & hitting shuffle. Any recommendations?

Also SimleuqiR, your avatar is adorable.

popeutlal

Just got a new Galaxy S2 and looking for a good music player. Free is good, but I'd pay for a nice app. The stock one seems serviceable, but I'm used to my iPod Touch, just pressing all songs & hitting shuffle. Any recommendations?

Yahoo music player is pretty decent.

rozay

Banned

PowerAMP is probably the most fully featured player on android. A lot of android music apps just use the default player's processing and media library but the developer has his own custom implementations and I find both to be much better. If you don't like the look, the new version 2.0 that just came out a week or two ago has skinning support.

dream

You know how the wifi thingy turns white when you aren't connected to Google services? How do I manually tell it to try connecting again?

JonnyBrad

Until Poweramp lets me sort by album artists I'm sticking with player pro. I have too many compilations clogging up my artist list.

Infact that pisses me off about nearly all the players in Android. On an ipod you can sort by album artists rather than artists. Its a great option to stop showing artists who are in your compilations showing up in the main list. Only player pro that i've found has got this in.

Anno

At this point I'm debating getting a Nexus S4G cheap on contract with Sprint instead of dropping ~$700 importing the GSM Galaxy Nexus. I'd also have a lower monthly price, which is a nice perk. How dated is this phone currently, though? The alpha/betaish builds of ICS seem to be running pretty well, but I don't want to lock myself in for a couple of years to a phone that doesn't really cut it. I don't demand a whole lot of my phone, but I at least need it to get through the work day with lots of podcast listening and some mild internet usage as well. Thoughts?

Blackhead

Redarse
DoubleTwist, Songbird, Media Monkey.

Doubletwist—converts .mkvs. takes too long and sometimes fails. Didn't find out in time to get a refund for air sync :/
Songbird—doesnt import .mkvs
Media Monkey—windows only?
Winamp—music only

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom