• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-ibn Kermit

http://wireless.amazon.com/f/pennyp...E&pf_rd_p=1331654162&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=G001

Galaxy S II, Droid Razr, and basically every other high end smartphone is only a penny with 2 year contract right now on Amazon.

So the only real hardware difference between GS2 and Nexus will be the screen resolution right? If so then I'll just get it and if there's then some must-have new feature in smartphones within the next 8-10 months, then I can probably sell it for a decent amount and put that money towards an early upgrade. It doesn't look like Sprint has any big phones coming out soon.

Honestly anything would be a huge upgrade over the Blackberry 8800 I've been borrowing for a couple months since my old phone broke. The trackball only scrolls vertically and the thing doesn't even have a goddamn camera. I can't lock it so I keep butt-dialing people on accident which has made me shave my contacts list down to only the people I know.

jokkir

I just went back from using the ICS ASOP-build for Nexus S to Gingerbread. ICs seems like a battery killer and a memory hog, or at least that build was. I think i'll just wait for the official update.

3phemeral

http://wireless.amazon.com/f/pennyp...E&pf_rd_p=1331654162&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=G001

Galaxy S II, Droid Razr, and basically every other high end smartphone is only a penny with 2 year contract right now on Amazon.

So the only real hardware difference between GS2 and Nexus will be the screen resolution right? If so then I'll just get it and if there's then some must-have new feature in smartphones within the next 8-10 months, then I can probably sell it for a decent amount and put that money towards an early upgrade. It doesn't look like Sprint has any big phones coming out soon.

Honestly anything would be a huge upgrade over the Blackberry 8800 I've been borrowing for a couple months since my old phone broke. The trackball only scrolls vertically and the thing doesn't even have a goddamn camera. I can't lock it so I keep butt-dialing people on accident which has made me shave my contacts list down to only the people I know.
I would have went SII by now but I'm on Verizon.

LLShC.gif

3phemeral

Droid Razr, Droid 3, and Droid Bionic are also 1 cent and they're made by Motorola so hopefully they get ICS quickly. But the Nexus is going to come out (eventually) so it's hard to say whether you should jump now.
O.O Oh dear, now I have to decide what I want. This is valid for renewing contracts and not just creating a new account?

[edit]

Just checked, 179.99 for Bionic and 229.99 for RAZR if you're renewing.

Fuck my jack connector on my SGS2 is broken, I can't put in my earphones, it is physically stuck in the middle.
Wipe, install stock rom and off to repair I guess. Good thing I bought it in september :/

I've been using Criskelo ROM for a while with Siyah Kernel, here are my impressions :
+ Touchwiz 4.5 is awesome.
+ JKay lock AOSP-style is awesome.
+ The multiple tweakings, such as a 5 icons dock, the customization of the menus, etc, is awesome.
+ Theming is awesome.
+ Speed is awesome, it's less bloated than the stock rom
+ Option to record the phone calls is awesome

- Uggh if you can't make a correct UI design, just don't, copy the stock rom style. It's ugly :/
- I think it uses more battery than stock rom when you actively use the phone.

I still think Stock ROM + Siyah kernel would make the battery last a lot longer, but the addons and tweaks of custom roms are really convenient :/

j-wood

I finally decided to install this app to see how well it works. I noticed when reading up about it that you have the ability to send a message to a phone number through this app.

How exactly does that work? Does it use the data connection (therefore not counting as an SMS message on your phone plan)?

I'm on the Verizon network and have unlimited messaging to other Verizon numbers, but only 500 messages to phones on other carriers. Before I used this app I wanted to make sure I understand how that was going to affect that number.

Can anyone clear this up for me? How can you tell if the app is going to send a message to someone's phone vs their facebook account?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So if one were to want to get a cheap android tablet how is the market for that these days?

I don't need the best hardware so far as the UI isn't laggy or anything. I don't need 3g, and 16 gigs is fine for me. Obviously HC version 3.2 would be nice with an upgrade path to ICS.

How cheap are we talking here, and would now be a good time? I'm worried with ICS coming that ICS is just going to end up being a shit ton better and maybe I should just wait. I feel like if I wait though we'll get newer hardware and ICS which is all well and good, but the price is going to go back up. Then I'll have to wait around for things to drop again.

j-wood

So if one were to want to get a cheap android tablet how is the market for that these days?

I don't need the best hardware so far as the UI isn't laggy or anything. I don't need 3g, and 16 gigs is fine for me. Obviously HC version 3.2 would be nice with an upgrade path to ICS.

How cheap are we talking here, and would now be a good time? I'm worried with ICS coming that ICS is just going to end up being a shit ton better and maybe I should just wait. I feel like if I wait though we'll get newer hardware and ICS which is all well and good, but the price is going to go back up. Then I'll have to wait around for things to drop again.

Asus Transformer. Great tablet, has an upgrade path to ICS most likely by the end of this year, confirmed by Asus. You'll be able to get a pretty good deal ($250 at Best Buy on Black Friday) and probably even bigger discounts once the new version (Prime) hits in December

Hammer24

Banned
Anyone here with an Archos 80 G9? Or could you please point me somewhere I can read up in detail? XDA is a jungle to me, where I´m lacking the right kind of machete..

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Asus Transformer. Great tablet, has an upgrade path to ICS most likely by the end of this year, confirmed by Asus. You'll be able to get a pretty good deal ($250 at Best Buy on Black Friday) and probably even bigger discounts once the new version (Prime) hits in December

Okay that sounds legit. Though I bet the BF deal at BB is probably one of those camp out and miss all of Thanksgiving to get one. $250 and I'd easily pull the trigger though on a tablet.

Anyone here with an Archos 80 G9? Or could you please point me somewhere I can read up in detail? XDA is a jungle to me, where I´m lacking the right kind of machete..
I've got one, had it about 4 weeks now, happy with it so far. It's not perfect but at £171 I'm more than happy to overlook its flaws!
No permanent root or custom rom at the moment, am eagerly awaiting the dev community to go to town on it.

tino

Banned
Okay that sounds legit. Though I bet the BF deal at BB is probably one of those camp out and miss all of Thanksgiving to get one. $250 and I'd easily pull the trigger though on a tablet.

You can also buy a Acer 10" pad for slightly higher than 250. You can get a TouchPad on ebay for around 200 and flash android yourself.

Hammer24

Banned
I've got one, had it about 4 weeks now, happy with it so far. It's not perfect but at £171 I'm more than happy to overlook its flaws!
No permanent root or custom rom at the moment, am eagerly awaiting the dev community to go to town on it.

What flaws do you see, the display?
And is there a working temp root, if the permanent is not yet available?
I´m looking to buy a 16GB Turbo, but the release seems to be pushed back continously.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Seriously, the only reason I come to this thread now is to read Iapetus's remarks on free apps!

Soon I'll be able to give helpful remarks on free apps on ICS. :) Galaxy Nexus came in at work yesterday. First impressions are good - screen looks great, including the software buttons (which I wasn't expecting). Haven't got anything installed on it yet other than the default bits, as I was in a bit of a rush to test some code.

What flaws do you see, the display?
And is there a working temp root, if the permanent is not yet available?
I´m looking to buy a 16GB Turbo, but the release seems to be pushed back continously.
I don't find the screen to bad to be honest, it's an mva panel so although it's can't touch the ips displays in the £400 tablets, but it's a lot better than the tn panels that are used in the older archos tabs and other budget tabs like advent vega.

The main flaw is lack of memory, it has 512mb which is probably bare minimum. Multi tasking isn't great and with several tabs open in the browser things do slow down.

The last firmware update also seems to have affected system stability, though the browser did get a performance boost. Though archos have been good so far on updates, hopefully this will continue.

I believe there is a temporary root solution at the moment, though I haven't gone near it. Xda haven't really jumped on it yet, though there seems to be a gathering over at modaco.
http://android.modaco.com/forum/481-archos-internet-tablets-archosmodacocom/

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife

thx..bought the LG Octane...so good

Anno

Can anyone recommend a music player that has headphone clicker integration? Or at least some way to pause/play from the lockscreen? Its a little annoying to have to open the phone every time.

One thing that has always bothered me with Android is how clunky Search is on my Gingerbread G2. I came from the Pre, and the just type search function on that phone was almost smooth as butter. It's so slow and clunky on my G2 I barely use it.

How is the Search in the newer phones like the SII?

joaomgcd

One thing that has always bothered me with Android is how clunky Search is on my Gingerbread G2. I came from the Pre, and the just type search function on that phone was almost smooth as butter. It's so slow and clunky on my G2 I barely use it.

How is the Search in the newer phones like the SII?

On the SII just long press the menu button on the home screen and a search screen will come up. Type anything there to search for installed apps or on the web. Very fast and useful, at least for me.

equap

Banned
i have the N1 since it first came out and now i need a new phone.

i see the white GSII for t-mobile, that's pretty nice.
gsmarena_001.jpg

Jake.

i have a gs2 and am using swype - is it possible to term off the automatic capitalization of 'i'? everything is set to lowercase and auto-capitalization is set to off, however if i type something like 'yeah, i will call you' it always changes it to 'yeah, I will call you'. this also applies to 'i'm', as in 'yeah, i'm going' will change to 'yeah, I'm going'. minor gripe, but is there anything that can be done?

Borman

DAMN....ugh. Is Sprint a good service. I'm still luggin around my Samsung Triband phone (SGH-T509) from like five years ago. How good is Sprint? I want the Galaxy S2. It'll run ICS at some point right?

Ask people in your area. Its fine in some places for me, but there are others where it drops hard. ATT and Verizon have better coverage for the most part.

Al-ibn Kermit

DAMN....ugh. Is Sprint a good service. I'm still luggin around my Samsung Triband phone (SGH-T509) from like five years ago. How good is Sprint? I want the Galaxy S2. It'll run ICS at some point right?

The call quality should be decent in any incorporated area. Data speeds can vary by city and whether 4G is available, you could go to the nearest Sprint store to see how speeds are. I live in a 4G area where speeds are around 10Mb/s.

This deal also works with other carriers like AT&T and Verizon too. But it seems that it only applies to people getting a new contract (can't renew with current carrier).

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
So my Droid 1 got a system update last night. Anyone know what's new about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom