• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCX

PDAnet has a feature where it tries to hide tethering from the carrier. This might or might not be useful to you.

I tried to download it, but on the market it says it has been blocked by my service provider (Sprint). I have an Evo 3D, and I'm trying to do as little as possible to be able to make it a wireless hotspot. If I just unlock it via HTC's unlocked bootloader method, will I be able to load a wireless tethering app?

Tom_Cody

I know this is a stupid question, but I hope someone can help me out.

I listen to a lot of podcasts. I strongly value being able to subscribe to various podcast on itunes where they are automatically downloaded. Also, they are played as podcasts and not just music files, and their progress is saved and transferred when synced with my PC.

If I get an android device, is there some way that I can duplicate this functionality? Can I put itunes directly on an android device or is there some clone or alternate software that someone can recommend?

Again, I know this may seem stupid, but I don't know anything about music software outside of itunes.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Beyondpod. The full version that automatically downloads podcasts while you sleep is 7.99 and is totally worth it. The basic version which I think duplicates the iTunes functionality you ate talking about is free. Works great and is feature packed. Having the 5am news podcasts downloaded and ready to play on my drive in to work is priceless. Smartplay playlists mean I don't even have to mess with the controls.

tino

Banned
I know this is a stupid question, but I hope someone can help me out.

I listen to a lot of podcasts. I strongly value being able to subscribe to various podcast on itunes where they are automatically downloaded. Also, they are played as podcasts and not just music files, and their progress is saved and transferred when synced with my PC.

If I get an android device, is there some way that I can duplicate this functionality? Can I put itunes directly on an android device or is there some clone or alternate software that someone can recommend?

Again, I know this may seem stupid, but I don't know anything about music software outside of itunes.

There are much better solution that iTunes. BeyondPod or DoggCatcher. Both download podcast to phone directly.

Tom_Cody

Beyondpod. The full version that automatically downloads podcasts while you sleep is 7.99 and is totally worth it. The basic version which I think duplicates the iTunes functionality you ate talking about is free. Works great and is feature packed. Having the 5am news podcasts downloaded and ready to play on my drive in to work is priceless. Smartplay playlists mean I don't even have to mess with the controls.
There are much better solution that iTunes. BeyondPod or DoggCatcher. Both download podcast to phone directly.
Thanks guys.

Edit: I just checked those out. They don't seem to have widows versions. In order to keep data transfer down, I generally prefer to download on my PC (over wifi) and then sync. Also, I sometimes like to listen to podcasts on my PC so it's nice that the progress in any given podcast is retained across the sync.

Can you think of any other software that would allow this?

minus_273

Banned
HAHAHA how many of you android users have this rootkit on your phones.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...r-tries-to-silence-critical-android-dev-1.ars

Though the software is installed on millions of Android, BlackBerry, and Nokia phones, Carrier IQ was virtually unknown until the 25-year-old Eckhart analyzed its workings

“We’re not looking at texts. We’re counting things. How many texts did you send and how many failed. That’s the level of metrics that are being gathered,” he said.

He answered “probably yes” when asked whether the company could read the text messages if it wanted.

gotta love that openness!

Circle T

Nothing better than finding out that the users of another phone than you use might have harmful software on their phones, right?
The sad life of fanboys. The Samsung Ad thread is just filled with it. It is pretty pathetic, really, that so many things these days reach such a low level.

"LOL, your team is stupid, my team rules!!!

Angst

I don't really understand what the software in question is and what phones supposedly have it installed, but apparently it affects Nokia, Android and Blackberry phones (for some reason minus_273 singled out android with barely concealed glee). If the article is true that would give the company access to hundreds of millions of text messages each single day. I doubt they would be very interested in reading my text messages anyway so I don't really care either way.

The phone companies already have access to this and your location 24/7, so I don't really find this that alarming. And I wouldn't be surprised if Apple did the same in the name of "improving your experience". It's sort of like Google or Microsoft being able to access all your e-mails - the insane amount of data makes it a moot point unless they dedicate some serious hardware into finding out what you and your girlfriend chats about...

Jeff-DSA

I really couldn't care less about phones sending data back to companies. I just don't see how it could ever affect me. I don't care if my browsing habits are shared either. What is it that people think is going to happen to them if a company data mines their usage habits? The only real thing I can think of is that they'll use the information to make their products better in the next generation.

THE HORROR.

tino

Banned
Thanks guys.

Edit: I just checked those out. They don't seem to have widows versions. In order to keep data transfer down, I generally prefer to download on my PC (over wifi) and then sync. Also, I sometimes like to listen to podcasts on my PC so it's nice that the progress in any given podcast is retained across the sync.

Can you think of any other software that would allow this?

You can set them to download podcasts via wifi only.

You can also listen too podcasts via google reader, which keep track of the played/unplayed status for you.

Or you can use one of those iTunes android sync software. There are at least 3.

jokkir

Is this a good Quadrant score for my Nexus S?

wsezP.png

Husker86

So I just started my full switch over to Google Music. I've had all my music there for a while but still didn't really use it.

Anyway, I added a few more songs that successfully uploaded and can be played from the Google Music web app. However these two are not showing up on the GM app on my phone. They DO show up on my Galaxy Tab's GM app though. I've uninstalled/reinstalled and cleared data several times but they just refuse to show up. Anyone experience this? I can't think of there being any way to fix it but I just want to know I have company in this.

HTC Flyer is a single-core tablet running Gingerbread. How about no.

You can get a Transformer for $250 at Best Buy on Black Friday. You'll have to fight the crazed mobs for one, but it would be a far superior tablet to the Flyer.

tino

Banned
HTC Flyer is a single-core tablet running Gingerbread. How about no.

You can get a Transformer for $250 at Best Buy on Black Friday. You'll have to fight the crazed mobs for one, but it would be a far superior tablet to the Flyer.

You can't compare a 10" tablet to a 7" tablet. They don't have the same use at all. I have both a 7" and a 10" android tablets.

Regardless its a very good price for a tablet that's more hackable than the Kindle Fire, and you can sell it on ebay for close to $250 after you get bored with it. Try to understand the concept of used market price curve.

reKon

Banned
How long ago was the HTC Incredible suppose to receive the gingerbread update?? I tried looking to do a software update for my mom, but it says she's update to date with 2.2

malyce

How long ago was the HTC Incredible suppose to receive the gingerbread update?? I tried looking to do a software update, but it says she's update with 2.2

Thats weird my lil cousin's Incredible keeps prompting her to upgrade to 2.3.4, been doing this for about a week now so i know verizon is pushing out the OTA.

Hieberrr

What a pain in the ass. Bell dropped the Galaxy S i9000 (thus, no longer supporting it), so that means I won't be getting ICS unless I wait for a CyanogenMod 9 and even then I don't want to. It'll take forever to get a stable ROM from them... it'll happen when Android 5.0 comes out or something.

zedge

What a pain in the ass. Bell dropped the Galaxy S i9000 (thus, no longer supporting it), so that means I won't be getting ICS unless I wait for a CyanogenMod 9 and even then I don't want to. It'll take forever to get a stable ROM from them... it'll happen when Android 5.0 comes out or something.
It already had two os upgrades, not too bad.

Hey guys does anyone know where I can find a list of available games for Samsung Android?

market.android.com?

If you already own said phone, it will tell you which games can and cannot run on your phone, but samsung is pretty popular so almost everything will run on it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
How long ago was the HTC Incredible suppose to receive the gingerbread update?? I tried looking to do a software update for my mom, but it says she's update to date with 2.2

I received the update about a month after verizon started pushing them out.

I'm tempted on picking up a xoom 4g, anyone here have one?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Bought the Note today, and when I opened the box I was both amazed and a little bit terrified... this thing is HUUUUGGEEE

I actually still have to get used to it and am thinking if maybe this is too big for me (coming from a guy that was always bigger = better)

iavi

I finally got the chance to play around in ICS after loading a build--Koush's Alpha 9-- to a family members nexus S. What an incredible OS update. The complete opposite of the feeling I had with GB. It's unprecedentedly smooth, even in this alpha build. Everything actually looks like it belongs together now: From the menus, to the awesome notification panel, to the 'people' hub, to the music player, to gmail--all of it. So awesome.

Vanilla ICS/ Cyanogen will be my rom of forever when it's released for the Evo4G. I'm using Miui atm.

tino

Banned
I finally got the chance to play around in ICS after loading a build--Koush's Alpha 9-- to a family members nexus S. What an incredible OS update. The complete opposite of the feeling I had with GB. It's unprecedentedly smooth, even in this alpha build. Everything actually looks like it belongs together now: From the menus, to the awesome notification panel, to the 'people' hub, to the music player, to gmail--all of it. So awesome.

Vanilla ICS/ Cyanogen will be my rom of forever when it's released for the Evo4G. I'm using Miui atm.

Can you turn off the virtual buttons?

Donos

Just got a new Galaxy S2 and looking for a good music player. Free is good, but I'd pay for a nice app. The stock one seems serviceable, but I'm used to my iPod Touch, just pressing all songs & hitting shuffle. Any recommendations?

Also SimleuqiR, your avatar is adorable.

Music PlayerPro
Ubermusic (Win7 Style possible)
Power Amp

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Can you turn off the virtual buttons?

You shouldn't have virtual buttons if there are physical ones available. I'm still impressed with how smoothly they work on the Galaxy Nexus, but will be happy to live without them when ICS hits the Desire. :)

Vyer

I'm looking for one of those spare battery packs that can plug into a phone. It will be for an HTC Inspire. Anyone have any good suggestions?

Anno

So, 4 days into my Android life, I'm enjoying it. Haven't run into any of the stuttering or lag that I've heard so much about (Nexus S 4g). I think I'll probably remain equally interesting in Android and WP7, but that's probably a good thing anyway.

Oozer3993

I received the update about a month after verizon started pushing them out.

I'm tempted on picking up a xoom 4g, anyone here have one?

I have a Xoom WiFi and I love it. It's exquisitely built, Honeycomb is great (at least 3.2 is), comics and video look fantastic on it, web browsing is a dream, and it should get Ice Cream Sandwich by the end of the year. I typed this whole post on mine.

antispin

Bought the Note today, and when I opened the box I was both amazed and a little bit terrified... this thing is HUUUUGGEEE

I actually still have to get used to it and am thinking if maybe this is too big for me (coming from a guy that was always bigger = better)

This was me a week ago. Now I find my SGS2's screen too small! I also find myself able to use the Note one-handed for most purposes (on Zeam Launcher + SwipePad).

Circle T

Maybe. Whatever it is that can extend battery life.

I would have thought some sort of extended battery replacement would be available too though.
Given how the battery is inserted into the Inspire, an extended battery is impossible. Extended batteries, in the traditional sense, are just larger batteries with a replacement back for the phone that has room for it. The Inspire doesn't allow that to happen, with its slot-in battery.

An external battery pack that plugs into the Micro USB is an easy solution, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom