• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I just noticed the Facebook application has kept my phone awake for nearly 2 hours out of 17. This definitely has an impact in battery life right? I only use the browser version, but I need the app to upload pictures right? I am constantly doing that so... I don't know what to do. Tips?

Vyer

Given how the battery is inserted into the Inspire, an extended battery is impossible. Extended batteries, in the traditional sense, are just larger batteries with a replacement back for the phone that has room for it. The Inspire doesn't allow that to happen, with its slot-in battery.

An external battery pack that plugs into the Micro USB is an easy solution, though.

Ah. Thanks for the info. If anyone uses one of these and can recommend one I'd appreciate it.

Tizoc

market.android.com?

If you already own said phone, it will tell you which games can and cannot run on your phone, but samsung is pretty popular so almost everything will run on it.

Thanks will check it out. I'm not to knolwedge-able about Touchphones sad to say ^_^;

Ashhong

quick question, when calibrating my battery, does it matter how i drain it? I need to go from 100% to 0% and am putting on a 3 hour long youtube video. Is that ok?

Ashhong

should be no problems all it has to do is drain to 0.

Thanks. Wasn't sure how calibrating really works so thought it might be better to drain with normal usage.

edit: messed around with an ICS build earlier on my HD2. It seems nice overall but at least for now, I prefer my CM7 based rom. I'm sure with some work ICS will be pretty awesome.

I just noticed the Facebook application has kept my phone awake for nearly 2 hours out of 17. This definitely has an impact in battery life right? I only use the browser version, but I need the app to upload pictures right? I am constantly doing that so... I don't know what to do. Tips?

You could try Friendcaster as another option

jayb

Use the back button to exit completely out of the app, or use a task killer to kill it (the only reason I use the GS2's task manager).

Donos

Ah. Thanks for the info. If anyone uses one of these and can recommend one I'd appreciate it.

Just Mobile (Gum) Pro

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B001BWQTOC/

or the pricier but slimmer/elegant version Just Mobile Gum Plus

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B002YN4RKU/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG-rl9Wt1GU (video review in english, there are way more on youtube)

You can get ugly ass external and rather big cases which take 4 AA batteries for cheap (around 10€) http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00499SBIG/

Sorry for german links but you will find Just mobile Pro/plus on amazon.com too.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Use the back button to exit completely out of the app, or use a task killer to kill it (the only reason I use the GS2's task manager).

So killing it... "kills" it then? For example the Messenger always runs in the background, even when killed. Kinda pissed me of to see it killing my precious battery life :p.

tino

Banned
You can setup email upload photo to facebook (and flickr picasa), I would uninstall Facebook if I don't use it.

VPhys

Thought some might want to know for BF you can get the HTC rezound for $50. It's verizons best Android phone and has higher ppi than the Galaxy Nexus.

link

panda21

does anyone remember the new android launcher that was publicised a few weeks ago? it was just a concept thing rather than a release but it seemed like they were going to do something interesting, or at least try to. i think there was like a video or something.

Esch

Banned
Just took a bold, brave new step into the smartphone universe. I got a Galaxy SII with my plan renewal. Any suggestions for how to customize? A good case? apps?

Zapages

You can try Go Launcher Ex or ADW if you don't want to root the phone.

Also is there any way to loop the different pages/slides to place your icons/widgets on... Instead of having to scroll all the way around. I like that part of the default launcher that came with my Galaxy S2. I am just wondering?

Thanks guys. :)

reKon

Banned
Hey all, I'm sending this from my moms old incredible (she just upgraded to the 4s today). It's funny that I had to reset this the device wiping her stuff clean to be able to upgrade to gingerbread cause before it kept showing her OS as up to date. Anyways gaf, I need to ask the important question... Is it worth it to root this thing and put a new Rom on it? This phone is holding me over until the nexus comes. It's already 100 times better than my dysfunctional bb storm

Ashhong

Hey all, I'm sending this from my moms old incredible (she just upgraded to the 4s today). It's funny that I had to reset this the device wiping her stuff clean to be able to upgrade to gingerbread cause before it kept showing her OS as up to date. Anyways gaf, I need to ask the important question... Is it worth it to root this thing and put a new Rom on it? This phone is holding me over until the nexus comes. It's already 100 times better than my dysfunctional bb storm

Yes it's worth it

I have an Incredible with CM7.1, it is very worth it.

reKon

Banned
I guess ill try doing this tonight... Will cm 7.1 give me worse battery life and is the process of getting it on this phone be difficult? Thanks

tino

Banned
I guess ill try doing this tonight... Will cm 7.1 give me worse battery life and is the process of getting it on this phone be difficult? Thanks
Once you flash a rom, its very easy to flash a different rom. Do it before you install and customize your phone make things simpler.

Danj

My Android 2.2.2 device keeps saying "Text message memory full" even though I deleted all the text messages, anyone know how to fix this?

someday

Banned
My Android 2.2.2 device keeps saying "Text message memory full" even though I deleted all the text messages, anyone know how to fix this?
You're probably low on your internal memory. I used to have this problem and I would have to delete other things on the phone just to retrieve messages. Hope this helps.

Danj

You're probably low on your internal memory. I used to have this problem and I would have to delete other things on the phone just to retrieve messages. Hope this helps.

Hmm... I tried deleting some apps and uninstalling updates to system apps, but it's still not working. I've also tried clearing the Dalvik cache, but that didn't help. Before I go ahead and try a factory reset, how do I back stuff up? Like my Contacts and the stuff I have in the Note Pad?

dtrack

Got my Galaxy Note yesterday, rooted it, installed Sheep rom and the latest FM kernel, underclocked to 800mhz and it's still smoother than stock rom :)

Battery life is just amazing!

Is there anywhere that is tracking apps that are on offer over this weekend? Just noticed that Swiftkey has 50% off both its Phone and Tablet keyboards, wondering what else might be on offer.

Anno

Quick question to Nexus S4G owners or Sprint people: will I get charged extra for turning on tethering or wifi hotspot? AT&T always warned me that I would.

Arken2121

Hey guys, I recently just purchased the GSII epic 4g touch from Sprint. I'm still within my 30 day return policy and i'm currently thinking about Verizon. I don't mind paying more for service but I keep hearing about Sprints spotty service, slow speed and LOS. However, with Verizon, it's expensive but apparently worth it? What do you guys think?

Doopliss

Download MX Player or MoboPlayer from the market, they can play any format.

Not on a SGS2 with cyanogenmod, they can't. I tried a bunch of MP4s and MKVs at various settings (all DVD resolution) with a few different players and I don't think I got good results from any of them.

popeutlal

Not on a SGS2 with cyanogenmod, they can't. I tried a bunch of MP4s and MKVs at various settings (all DVD resolution) with a few different players and I don't think I got good results from any of them.

You need to play them in software mode, then they'll work. They both have settings that allows you to play files in both software and hardware mode.

You can also try Dice Player, there's a trial in the market.

Hmm... I tried deleting some apps and uninstalling updates to system apps, but it's still not working. I've also tried clearing the Dalvik cache, but that didn't help. Before I go ahead and try a factory reset, how do I back stuff up? Like my Contacts and the stuff I have in the Note Pad?

If you have your contacts synced with your google account then they are backed up on google servers and will resync to your phone.

For other things, then root phone and use Titanium Backup to backup apps and data. (I'd advise against doing a full phone backup, just stick to the apps and data you will need)

Have you tried installing a 3rd party messaging app (like Handcent) to see if you get the same error message?

Arken2121

Sorry about the quick bump just trying to get some insight by some people and so far I have yet to receive anything informative. I'm still leaning towards Verizon but I just got the epic 4g touch and it's such an awesome phone.

Hey guys, I recently just purchased the GSII epic 4g touch from Sprint. I'm still within my 30 day return policy and i'm currently thinking about Verizon. I don't mind paying more for service but I keep hearing about Sprints spotty service, slow speed and LOS. However, with Verizon, it's expensive but apparently worth it? What do you guys think?

I wouldn't want to be on a capped plan. It limits me too much in my use of the phone.

Cipherr

Sorry about the quick bump just trying to get some insight by some people and so far I have yet to receive anything informative. I'm still leaning towards Verizon but I just got the epic 4g touch and it's such an awesome phone.

Its tough to say man. Service on any provider is dependant on your area. I get fantastic Sprint reception and moderate speed here, but people a state or two away could get horrifyingly frequent dropped calls and speed slower than average 3G. Its something you end up having to test for yourself, or ask people you know. All carriers have bad cities for service.

Verizon is pricey, but it is true about their LTE speed, it is fast, and it is available in a LOT of places now, and expanding quickly. The data costs will destroy you however unless you take advantage of a deal they have going through the 30th of this month that will give you 2 times the data you pay for, at the same cost. Buy a 2Gigabyte plan, and they will make your data limit 4GB instead.

Sprint on the other hand is just unlimited, so you dont even have to think about it, and they start their LTE rollout next year. But I wouldnt expect their speeds to match Verizons LTE, and it could be a long time before Sprints LTE makes it to your area, and any phone you buy now wont support their LTE either, so youll be on WiMax speed for 2 years.

Its a really tough call. If you like the phone you have, and the speeds in your area are great, and the reception is good, stay with Sprint and keep the phone you have. Worst case scenario, you go 18 months with a fantastic phone, with unlimited data and great call quality and speed. Worst case scenario, you test the grass on Verizon side, only to find out, in your area Verizon actually sucks.

Arken2121

Its tough to say man. Service on any provider is dependant on your area. I get fantastic Sprint reception and moderate speed here, but people a state or two away could get horrifyingly frequent dropped calls and speed slower than average 3G. Its something you end up having to test for yourself, or ask people you know. All carriers have bad cities for service.

Verizon is pricey, but it is true about their LTE speed, it is fast, and it is available in a LOT of places now, and expanding quickly. The data costs will destroy you however unless you take advantage of a deal they have going through the 30th of this month that will give you 2 times the data you pay for, at the same cost. Buy a 2Gigabyte plan, and they will make your data limit 4GB instead.

Sprint on the other hand is just unlimited, so you dont even have to think about it, and they start their LTE rollout next year. But I wouldnt expect their speeds to match Verizons LTE, and it could be a long time before Sprints LTE makes it to your area, and any phone you buy now wont support their LTE either, so youll be on WiMax speed for 2 years.

Its a really tough call. If you like the phone you have, and the speeds in your area are great, and the reception is good, stay with Sprint and keep the phone you have. Worst case scenario, you go 18 months with a fantastic phone, with unlimited data and great call quality and speed. Worst case scenario, you test the grass on Verizon side, only to find out, in your area Verizon actually sucks.

I completely understand what you're getting at. I just tried to watch a Youtube video in HQ and it kept buffering every ten seconds. To me, that's unacceptable. Granted Verizon might suck in my area as well and I might just be shit out of luck. Sprints unlimited plan was and still is enticing but it's not very good when you can't even access the data.

Luckily Amazon had this sale with a 14 day return policy so i'm heavily leaning towards Verizon even if it is expensive. Any specific phone you might recommend in place of the epic 4g?

Cipherr

I completely understand what you're getting at. I just tried to watch a Youtube video in HQ and it kept buffering every ten seconds. To me, that's unacceptable. Granted Verizon might suck in my area as well and I might just be shit out of luck. Sprints unlimited plan was and still is enticing but it's not very good when you can't even access the data.

Luckily Amazon had this sale with a 14 day return policy so i'm heavily leaning towards Verizon even if it is expensive. Any specific phone you might recommend in place of the epic 4g?

Galaxy Nexus if it releases soon enough for you, second would probably be the HTC Rezound, and third would be the Droid Bionic. All are 4G LTE phones and qualify right now for the double your data special. Also, I would look into finding out if you qualify for a discount through your employer with Verizon. It would certainly help with those costs.

Edit: I would google maps the nearest Verizon store near you, call them up and say you want to come down to demo their LTE speeds, they will happily oblige if you tell them you are shopping for a carrier. Although expect them to try like hell to sell you a device before you leave. But as long as you dont have a problem telling someone No, you can go and load that youtube HD video locally and see how it fares.

Arken2121

Galaxy Nexus if it releases soon enough for you, second would probably be the HTC Rezound, and third would be the Droid Bionic. All are 4G LTE phones and qualify right now for the double your data special. Also, I would look into finding out if you qualify for a discount through your employer with Verizon. It would certainly help with those costs.

Edit: I would google maps the nearest Verizon store near you, call them up and say you want to come down to demo their LTE speeds, they will happily oblige if you tell them you are shopping for a carrier. Although expect them to try like hell to sell you a device before you leave. But as long as you dont have a problem telling someone No, you can go and load that youtube HD video locally and see how it fares.

I heard the Rezound was pretty sick in terms of hardware. I picked up the epic 4g mainly for it's hardware. I didn't know Verizon had that type of service.

Edit: This is my first smartphone and it's really awesome. Is it possible to use this on a Verizon network? I'd hate to have to give this phone up.

Just check your area to see if Sprint's coverage is good. LOS (for the Epic 4G Touch) is due to shitty ROMs/kernals. Stay on [rooted] stock and you'll be fine. Speeds are slower, but I still can stream Netflix thru 3G.

Honestly, the only reason I'm with Sprint is because they're the only provider with unlimited data on their phones. Otherwise it's Expensive shit A (Verizon), Expensive Shit B (AT&T), and Virgin Mobile with better phones (T-Mobile).

Arken2121

Aye, Verizon is pretty expensive but I never hear any complaints. I checked their map and i'm within 3g and JUST out of the 4G spottage. I just had this expectation that I could at least run half the speed of my current home internet with today's technology. Granted i'm testing inside my house, I stepped just outside today and it was the same connection. I actually read somewhere at work yesterday that it's getting more likely Sprint will follow suit with the limited data with their upcoming LTE implementation.

jokkir

Is Widget Locker worth it? I might buy it but it just looks like an app to add more swipe locking things to the lock screen.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
droid4-specs1.jpg

droid4-specs2-650x295.jpg

snap.

gcubed

I heard the Rezound was pretty sick in terms of hardware. I picked up the epic 4g mainly for it's hardware. I didn't know Verizon had that type of service.

Edit: This is my first smartphone and it's really awesome. Is it possible to use this on a Verizon network? I'd hate to have to give this phone up.

Verizon 3g is relatively slow compared to GSM providers.

I don't like moto's new design phase... at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom