• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arken2121

Alright so one last question. What do you guys recommend for Verizon? I'm a heavy user and am looking for a powerful phone at least on par with the galaxy s2. I don't mind waiting on something big that's coming out soon if need be.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Alright so one last question. What do you guys recommend for Verizon? I'm a heavy user and am looking for a powerful phone at least on par with the galaxy s2. I don't mind waiting on something big that's coming out soon if need be.

galaxy nexus, or droid razr or droid 4. those are the phones I'm looking at right now.

most likely droid 4 because i'm a OG droid keyboard user like that. But if It wasnt a huge selling point for me, i'd definitely go galaxy nexus.

Arken2121

galaxy nexus, or droid razr or droid 4. those are the phones I'm looking at right now.

most likely droid 4 because i'm a OG droid keyboard user like that. But if It wasnt a huge selling point for me, i'd definitely go galaxy nexus.

I'm actually a huge fan of the touchscreen =). I read up on the nexus and it seems like a step backwards compared to the S2

gcubed

I must have read wrong sorry, thought you said you were just outside of 4g coverage

I'm actually a huge fan of the touchscreen =). I read up on the nexus and it seems like a step backwards compared to the S2

Lack of removable battery/SD expansion is the big negatives, but other than it's basically an S2 with a bigger resolution.

Nexus woes here is because Verizon/Google/Samsung don't know what the fuck they're doing regarding the release.

Circle T

CM9 Alpha is now available for the Captivate. I just installed it, and after playing with it for a couple hours, it runs really well, surprisingly. Finally getting to see ICS in person is nice. SOOOO many little things that were tweaked and improved, even on this older hardware, and in Alpha form for the ROM, it runs great.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/11/25/htc-ville-shows-itself-again-now-with-more-detailed-specs/

PD70D.png

This actually looks really nice.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I love HTC phones, but they're dead to me as long as they don't use OLED. Super LCD just doesn't cut it after using an OLED display.

Arken2121

I just kept reading that the hardware in the nexus is three years old while the SII is relatively new and it's benchmarks are great. I hate to be picky but it's just something i'm looking for. I do believe Verizon would be the best bet since their coverage and data is better than sprints. I went to verizon a few minutes ago but couldn't find anything close to the S2 so i'm still waiting =(

Ashhong

I just kept reading that the hardware in the nexus is three years old while the SII is relatively new and it's benchmarks are great. I hate to be picky but it's just something i'm looking for. I do believe Verizon would be the best bet since their coverage and data is better than sprints. I went to verizon a few minutes ago but couldn't find anything close to the S2 so i'm still waiting =(

Hardware in the Nexus is 3 years old? You are looking at the Galaxy Nexus right?

Gabyskra

Banned

What's your source of information? Change it.

Man, can you imagine if the Galaxy Nexus came out 3 years ago? Beautiful 4.65in display in 720p with dual core processors and the best software as of 2012, but in 2009? At the time of the HTC Hero... Ahah.

BurntPork

Banned

lolwut?

No, that's not right at all!

reKon

Banned

I doubt this, but if you basing your info off youtube comments, don't...

Anyways, customizing stuff on my temporary htc incredible device is addicting as shit. I now understand, lol. And this is without rooting and flashing to a new rom (which I currently can't do). I don't know how people can stick with apple's same OS look for all these years. It really sucks that it has barely changed in terms of layout and not everything is as simple and easy as people try to make it out to be on iOS. I've been helping my mom figure out stuff on her 4S so I do have a better insight on things. Sure it's more user friendly than Android overall, but the notation that Android is overly complicated and to hard to grasp is completely bullshit. It's not that it isn't user friendly, but it's that people are so use to iOS, that they bias towards something new that they have to learn.

i believe that the reference is from the SGX540 GPU, which is over 3 years old as far as design goes.

performance in Android devices is 2nd only to the Mali-400 and phones only started using it last year.

Arken2121

Hardware in the Nexus is 3 years old? You are looking at the Galaxy Nexus right?

I just remember reading it somewhere on phandroid I think. Again, i'm not 100% sure it's just an assumption.

I think what Faceless just mentioned might of been what I read.

reKon

Banned
I'm not sure, I do have the ICS keyboard apk installed and its pretty nice to use.

I'm using it now and it's awesome... The auto correction is amazing and the voice typing works very well. The only thing that's lacking so far is that I's aren't capitalized and it doesn't display the text as you're speaking like it does when using the keyboard on the Nexus. I may be good with this incredible for a while, lol... Maybe wait a few weeks and see Amazon sell this thing for a cheaper price?

Here's the version I have: http://alturl.com/fakht

derder

CM9 Alpha is now available for the Captivate. I just installed it, and after playing with it for a couple hours, it runs really well, surprisingly. Finally getting to see ICS in person is nice. SOOOO many little things that were tweaked and improved, even on this older hardware, and in Alpha form for the ROM, it runs great.

Can I get a link?

W1SSY

I am really impressed at how good the CM9 alpha is on the Captivate. I think I am going to try using it for a couple days and hopefully it is solid enough for everyday use.

bedlamite

I just jumped on Android with the HTC Sensation for $30! (Yes, on contract. Sue me.) Good deal, or is it too "old" already?
It's still a very good phone, but HTC kind of fucked up on the screen. Last time I checked, there's a 90-page complaint thread at the XDA forums about dust getting under the Sensation's screen. I've got dust on my 3-month old Sensation on both sides of the screen in the middle, it`s fucking annoying. Going to give HTC a bit of time to sort their shit out before I RMA it.

Dazzla

I hope to god they tweak the mail client like they did on CM7. I can't stand not being notified when mail hits sub folders directly.

In ICS (Nexus owner) you can sync sub folders like CM7 but you aren't notified like CM7. It's pointless.

alternade

My Sprint Galaxy S 2 should be here in a couple days. What is the best rom for it? I see that cm7 isn't available yet. Also what case are you guys using?

Danj

I'll be getting my Christmas bonus in December this year, and I was thinking I could do with a better Android device than the one I have right now (even if it is a 7" tablet, 600Mhz, tiny internal storage and Android 2.2 just don't cut it any more). I can't afford a new tablet, so my new device is going to have to be a phone, around the £250 price range. So far I've been looking at these devices:

Anyone got any other recommendations that are available SIM-free at that kind of price point in the UK?

I'll be getting my Christmas bonus in December this year, and I was thinking I could do with a better Android device than the one I have right now (even if it is a 7" tablet, 600Mhz, tiny internal storage and Android 2.2 just don't cut it any more). I can't afford a new tablet, so my new device is going to have to be a phone, around the £250 price range. So far I've been looking at these devices:

Anyone got any other recommendations that are available SIM-free at that kind of price point in the UK?

This maybe?

Nexus S

Ice Cream Sandwich guaranteed!

BurntPork

Banned
It's still a very good phone, but HTC kind of fucked up on the screen. Last time I checked, there's a 90-page complaint thread at the XDA forums about dust getting under the Sensation's screen. I've got dust on my 3-month old Sensation on both sides of the screen in the middle, it`s fucking annoying. Going to give HTC a bit of time to sort their shit out before I RMA it.

Could a case help?

It's a great a phone, Enjoy.

Looks gorgeous in white. :D

:O Do want!

This maybe?

Nexus S

Ice Cream Sandwich guaranteed!

The Optimus 2x has been confirmed to get ICS as well, though. Seems like the better deal unless you want stock Android.

I hope to god they tweak the mail client like they did on CM7. I can't stand not being notified when mail hits sub folders directly.

In ICS (Nexus owner) you can sync sub folders like CM7 but you aren't notified like CM7. It's pointless.

Assuming by folder you mean labels, pretty sure thats just the stock gmail app, are you sure you have it setup correctly?
More-> Settings-> click your account, scroll to bottom
make sure Email notifications are checked.
click labels to notify
any label you have set to syn for a certain period of time can be notified on (by default its only inbox and priority inbox). can be changed by clicking sync inboxes and labels.

DarkFlow

Banned
So I'm using a alpha ICS build on my evo 4g as i type this, and so far I'm in love. I'm normally a sense lover but ASOP ICS is converting me.

bedlamite

Could a case help?
The fault lies in between the gap between the glass screen and the body of the phone. You probably can't see it now, but you will, when stuff starts getting in there. Unless you can find a case that guarantees an airtight seal, dust will still find its way in. IMO you got your phone for 30 bucks, just use it nude and enjoy the hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom